World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where is the magic?

I want to be reminded of the magic. I mean honest to goodness magic. I don't mean little things (those things are good but I don't mean that kind). Seems to me life is getting harder and harder and the world around us more and more "dry" and linear. It would appear I am not the only one feeling this. It seems more and more people are feeling depressed, like the world is going downhill and that they don't fit in here.
So I truly ask you, why is the world not more magical. Again, I don't mean "OH it's there if I look for it." Deadly serious, where is it? Why isn't there more of it? Will the world shift to a place where it is more magical and pulls from other worlds?
If I may speak with absolute honesty, I look outside and it is house after house after house stacked by each other and road after road after road and building after building. Now, of course there are places in this world where it is not like this. But in my area (small town in southern Oregon), it is. This is also the case in much of the world.

I don't know, a lot of people don't seem to sense it. But I think maybe something will happen.

-Good Thoughts, Alex

Re: Where is the magic?

Hi Alexandra,
I get what your talking about. I live in the suburbs and everything here is generic, fake, and it's just hard to look outside and see how shiny/horrible it is. It's like the world is missing it's soul and everything is harsher, "realer", and dim. The more parking lots and construction I see it just makes me sad. You know like deep down it makes me almost cry. Nobody see's anything special in anything anymore or they just don't believe.

I find that just looking at the sky at night especially full moons makes me feel elated. Or just staring at flowers and moths. You kinda have to look at the little things I guess. Because the majority of magic can't survive in todays world.
Society won't let it and it does seem to be a lot drier. One day it'll return hopefully it'll become vibrant again.

Don't give up hope girl see-ya!

Favorite Froud Book? Faeries

I live in a big city and have to go looking for magic in little places most days - the kind you mentioned already, Alex. Usually it's that kind that helps a day be better, even if it's not readily visible.
I know what you mean though, about needing to see or experience something bigger. A little less subtle for when you don't want to go looking. I needed that so badly this year; going to FaerieCon helped tremendously. Maybe you could go to some event related to the mythical or paranormal? Somewhere with other people who have the same outlook. There's something about being with a big group that knows there's more than just what's outside their doors. At this time of year, people seem more willing to share ghost stories and let themselves feel that special something, be it Faery or phantom. There might be some special events happening in your town or nearby, like for Halloween or Day of the Dead; it's not what you're looking for but it might help a bit, give you a quick fix.

That's why I love Charles DeLint books. He often writes of some crazy, magical event happening to a big group of people all at once. Including people who wouldn't believe in that sort of thing otherwise. I used to always want something BIG to happen. Occasionally I still do, but it's like obvious magic is so scarce these days, we have to home brew our own. It's a tough economic time in the U.S. and it's hard to find magic when just surviving can be difficult. It does seem like there's more of an open door to it in the past few years, with all the great fantasy movies and books that the general public is embracing.

Why is the world not more magical? Maybe magic disappears the less people believe in it. I honestly think it's because life is more complicated now. Centuries ago, people were more superstitious. Through lack of education, from fear of their god and the unknown. Days were busy then too, but with less variety. Now we have TV, media, access to and involvement in international happenings, computers, commuting, and a million other things accessible to us daily. Diverted attentions give people less time and opportunity to sit back and meditate. Too much reality crowds out belief in the beyond.

Maybe something WILL happen. I still think it could too, but - and I'm referencing Charles De Lint again - there's always a chance that it could be catastrophic. Given the choice, I would choose to look for hidden magic over something huge and chaotic happening.

Alex, maybe this feeling is a signal for you to create something magical? It's small compared to a worldwide event, but it might make more impact on your life than something big.

I hope you find your magic soon, or that it finds you. Love and light to you.

Hello there. This is the first time I've read/participated on this forum - I'm so glad to see you guys. I've had the faery tarot for about 2 years now, give or take, and since then, I think I'm getting all the magic/otherworld/wonder/shock/awe/terror/humility
that I can handle at one time...

I'm inclined to think that is true for all of us human people. Paradigm shifts are a big deal for us in general.

Alexandra, may I ask you a question? Do you spend a lot of time dreaming about the Other Lands? I have read that they can make this world pale in comparison.

Lots of Love and Gratitude,

Danelle[o:)

Favorite Froud Book? The Faery Tarot

What works for me is, the more nature I can get around and out into, the more magic I feel and the more the veil thins between the worlds. Sometimes I just go out to the lake at night during a full moon, just sit and absorb it all. I can hear faint music if I turn off my mind and just listen. It's there. You just have to get away from the manmade crap and go where the wild things are;)

Hello oh, there it is, theres that cheeky magic! Thought you'd get away didn't you. Theres that feisty Alex person! Faeries faeries everywhere faeries faeries in my hair, over here and over there oh! The point, yes, I must get to the point.

Everything can be a spell. Here's one for staying hydrated. Take a bunch of water (chem free please), a pinch of sea salt and some juice. Any kind of juice is cool. Especially blueberry. Orange increased understanding and digestion. 2 parts water, one part juice. Bless the elements, mix em up, bobs your uncle. Also works for leg cramps.

'Magic grows everywhere, even in Brooklyn'. Keep your aura by staying in tune with your watery side (emotional state). This way we don't loose out to the eaten lands.

Hi everyone, thank you for your advice.

Nanny Redcap, I live in Southern ORegon, so I'm just a few hours away from Eugene. So I might go there when Faerie Festival comes along.

kelli, I do feel better around nature, it is one of the only things that makes me feel better. Sadly, there isn't a whole lot around. But I could spend more time in the yard.

Bree, I totally get it. I'm glad you understood me.

Danelle, Yes, I have abnormal, very real dreams all the time. I don't know if it is the Other World. But I know that when I wake up from them I feel like a dehydrated individual who got a sip and wants more. This world pales in comparison and I find myself craving something else.
In fact, if I go into town I feel so miserable and sick. This world feels as if it could kill me. Like a fish out of water. Even physically, my eyes have apparently gone dull. Everyone is always asking if I feel well and if I'm "alright". There is nothing wrong with me. I've been to the doctor. I've always felt this way.

Priestess Light, you have charmed me. ;) Thank you.

-Good Thoughts, Alex

COME MEET ME! I'll give you magic!! (i mean just me, not dealing!!! lol)
we can do outraaaaagous things!
Find the rush! excitment and calm!
and hopefully, I SAY HOPEFULLY, help everyone feel better about themselves abd the world around theem.

i shall try!!

-xXXX@XXXx-

Favorite Froud Book? all of them

Hi Alex!
I just finished a book in which one of the points the author makes is that we have reached one of the crisis points (chaos points, end times, tipping point chose your term) in time and things will become both more rigid and more fluid for awhile. The rigidity may be the linear dryness you are talking about and the fluidity...well that would be the magic and the re-awakening of the human consciousness to our inherent wisdom.

Maybe we have to go thru these dark times to emerge in wonder in the light?
No one said the shift would be easy...
Usually when I feel how I've been feeling lately (and how you've apparently also felt) I go out to nature and spend time with the trees...well I did that but it only made me feel more miserable. LOL I didn't want to go back home. I wanted to stay with the redwoods, yellow colored maples and the warm sunshine.
I feel like everything is in such a state of upheaval that there is no security (which has in fact been the reality all along...) and the last place I want to be is around a bunch of humans.
but that's where i am....so how to make it positive?
I'm just trying to take care of myself the best ways I know how. I've gathered all my crystal friends and a very special beeswax candle by my bed and I light it every night before I sleep and talk to my guides. I eat as much fresh food as possible and I indulge in whatever I feel I need. I go for walks and focus on the wind on my face instead of the car exhaust. I say hi to the birds and strive to hear their songs over the sounds of people at work. And I try to drink enough GOOD water and try to believe that we are collectively waking up from this dream...I see it every day...and I try to be grateful for my job in which I get to meet and talk to amazing, inspiring and enlightened people everyday even tho it won't last forever.
Magic or Magick?
both are out there in plenty (lack is a human creation as you know). You have to call them to yourself tho and be ready for them when they come.
Yes yes yes.
Ok Sorry for the long rant...I think this was as much for me as for you, it helped to get it out...
Thanks and have a wonderful (magical) day.

The Gothic Faery, You're a love. You sound full of fire! :D

Laiste, It would be so nice if we did change, but if I am honest, I have lost much of my faith in mankind.

I have terrible depression. But I don't believe that it is my depression that effects my view of the world and humans, but the world that is making me depressed. Truth is, I have NEVER in any way felt like I fit in with human beings, their nature or the world they've molded.
I've held hope that perhaps travel might help. That if I got outside my area and my country that people MIGHT be different and somehow, totally different, totally extraordinary. But I don't know that I will have the oppurtunity for that. Even if I did, I may not find what I'm looking for. I feel I'm losing faith quickly in so many things. I feel so terribly out of place here. I'm afraid to say, I think it's the world, not the energy. I've always felt this way, since I was a child. So, I don't think it's a passing phase. I've never really liked people. I sometimes would like some place in the rainy country, with no one around for miles and hide there forever. I must sound drab, but it is true.

-Good Thoughts, Alex

Hi Alex. I live in a rainforest and still have to sort out bad vibes, etheric disturbences and deal all kinds of toxic madness. This land has a dark heart, and some of the worst leeches in the world. Anyway, it sounds to me like you are have problems with your aura...we are not the world, we are the Fey. You can create whatever kind of magical atmosphere in your home and person that you like, you are so caring...let me remind you. Keep love for yourself, and give love to yourself. then it will overflow to everybody.

I reccomend St John's wort for depression, sushi, fish oil or flaxseed oil to insulate your nerves from the world coupled with plenty of nuts and seeds. Fresh fruit to manifest proof in the magic pudding.

Bless you.You have given me lovely advice in the past.
-Light

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis