World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recent discussion on the importance of art.

I recently began debating an individual on youtube. We were discussing the importance of art.
His view was that art is nice, but not as important as the every day jobs such as nurses, plumbers, doctors etc.
My view is that artists are of just as great of importance. I said that I know it's not easy to be an arist. That part of us is forever driven to ask profound questions, that we always feel the deepest and darkest emotions. That we delve into those questions and those intense emotions and through visualize and will them into being.
He also said that artists don't deserve all the money they get (the famous ones), that they are doing what they love and don't deserve it. I said that if Shakespeare was alive today he would deserve all the millions or billions that he would get.
He said that he would do all he could to deprive artists of this money, especially Shakespeare.
Now I create many forms of art. Where I adore it, it is VERY hard work and when you're creating a piece of art, it can hurt very badly. Through art you deal was intense emotion. The journey of making it as an artist is hard too.
I think true artists, deserve all the money they get.
Whereas I put a lot of importance on people such as nurses and plumbers, he gave me the choice to either be all alone in the world with doctors, nurses, plumbers etc. or artists. I would choose artists. I could not live without are. It is deeply intwined with my spirituality.I understand that in a physical sense the other group is more important. But to me, art is somehow just more NEEDED.

Truth is no art to me would be worse then death. He said that without the first the nurses, doctors, farmers we would die and art can't physically sustain you and wont carry on with you into death. But that's the thing, I believe in life after death and since my art is part of my soul, it will forever be with me and SOMEHOW I will continue to create it after death.

He said what if you had a cancer patient, they NEED a doctor. True, but that makes it sound like you don't NEED art. When going through something extreme like that, something so traumatic, you must nurture your spirit. Studies have shown without things like art, love a patient with a serious illness is more likely to not make it. In times like that you turn more to your spirit then your body and your spirit is enriched and nurtured by art.

Anyone who does not connect spirituality to art must never have created it. A piece of art is a wordless conversation with yourself.

So I ask you, which one do you feel is more vital, art or sensible roles? Which would you choose to keep if you had to? Is there a limit on the importance of art? Do you think art is vital to survival?

-Good Thoughts, Alex

Re: Recent discussion on the importance of art.

Plumbers, doctors, and nurses are replaceable. (I'm reminded of the "Demotivator" image of a cog: "Just because you're necessary, doesn't mean you're important.") Shakespeare was not. Famous members of the arts make large sums of money now because their work, in an age of easy replication, can touch so many. But for every famous artist, there are countless highly skilled and talented artists who barely scrape by.

I agree. Doctors nurses farms etc come and go anyone can study to do that but true talented artists can not be replaced. Shakespeare Michelangelo, DaVinci etc. They can not be replaced their work is still admired and adored today. Ask a kid who a famous artists or writer was and they can name several. Ask them who a famous nurse doctor or farmer is and they will look at you like your stupid. Art is a major part of life.

stab that person in the eye they have no idea what they're talking about! >.<
Them not caring about art just shows how out of touch they are with everything spiritual,which is what really matters, they're too absorbed in human reality.
they need to take some time to see things out of their mundane everyday routine.if they don't care about art well then they don't have much of an imagination as well now do they?
I agree that we wouldn't survive without doctors and stuff, but art is what makes us who we are and helps us to express ourselves. without things like this everyone and everything would be boring!
as my art teacher always says, everything is art in its own way.

Once again (I know I'm one to talk - I walk into these things all the time!) arguing with someone who would rather die than be proven wrong...

it's okay - that's why _we're_ here

Cancer, oh yeah. When my mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer and she had her surgery and was first on chemo, she had these cords under her arm that she had to stretch. She couldn't bring her right arm over her head, just a little past her shoulder, really. Seeing her one night with her fuzzy little hair and the strain and pain on her face as she was trying to stretch on the bed gave me an idea for a drawing that I rue now that I didn't do - The Broken Wing. Anybody who has ever read the Tale of the Seven Swan Princes will immediately get this. (the last doesn't have enough of a bramble shirt to make a complete restoration - he is left with one wing instead of an arm, sad proof of their tale)

Haha... without artists alot of doctors, physicians, and other worker types wouldnt be where they are now. (Medical practices evolved with help from drawing out anotomical forms, and recording such findings in a way the public could understand... thats why you see so many drawn diagrams in scientific books.... its the same with other practices.... how would you know what something is supposed to look like when it comes in a box of little pieces? with the instructions and diagrams of course.)Heck... I consider designers artists, because it takes alot to be able to draw something and then be able to make it work for real... and just think how many things in the world were DESIGNED by someone!

~*Kylie*~

Favorite Froud Book? Good Faeries/Bad faeries

How about this (I just had this thought)...they are ALL art. At it's finest doctoring, plumbing etc are defintitely artforms. It takes a special touch to be able to fix the human body. Just anyone can't stumble in and do that. And plumbing you've gotta have a feel for it as well.
All the art forms have their technical side...just in the above mentioned ones it's the technical side that is empathized in our culture. Not many people move beyond the technical part of plumbing and doctoring into the mystical spiritual side of it...which I think is a serious lack.
I would pay a little more for a plumber that actually understood water as an element and the way it interacts with pipes and how the way the pipes flow is important....instead of one that just pours draino down the drain and says "yep it's all fixed now"
And a doctor that actually practices the art of doctoring? worth their weight in gold (imo)
and those artists belong right alongside the great art artists.
Just my two cents

*applause* _Now_ yer talkin'!

I think that you pose an extremely relevant question and I think it is really hard to compare the two, as they are completely different proffessions. The question is not whether art is more relevant or more important than jobs such as doctor etc. It is whether or not art is relevant at all. It is too bad that in this society, at least the western society, Art has become less and less important to the masses. Peoople are no longer interested in original works of art. They are expensive to both create and buy. In their heads, why would they bother when they can buy a print for a fraction of the price. It has come to a point where artists can no longer make a living, at least the majority of us can't. We have to rely on other jobs, such as plumbing to make a living and art becomes a hobby. I myself have a fine art degree, but had not choice but to add another degree to the mix. I am currently doing an education degree so that I can become an art teacher. The point that I am trying to make is this....We as artists have to make a stand...we have to make art an important aspect of modern society...how, I dont know...Any Ideas???

Favorite Froud Book? Good Faeries / Bad Faeries

I think art is VITAL for survival. Creativity and Color are very healing. If you deprive a person of color and light, it will cause depression. People have died from depression. One of my biggest complaints with the nursing homes and hospitals in my area is that there is no color in any of the patient's rooms. Everything is a drab file cabinet beige or grey. The energy vibrations in various colors are actually very healing, so it doesnt make any sense to me that sick people have to be subjected to bland rooms.

Also,
Expressing feelings through sculpting , drawing or painting art is very therapeutic and healing.

Nope, Art should never be underestimated.

Favorite Froud Book? Fairy Oracle Cards

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis