World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Every Rose Has It's Thorn

Hi all,

This is a story that Willows Mum started and a some of us Froudians added to a few years back. Would anyone like to help complete it? If Willows Mum or Pernickety read this... Do you have the whole story so far? This is a part of it (thanks to Cori for emailing it to me. Legend for keeping it!) but from what I remember Rose had found Thorn and released him from the clutches of Morgan and a great battle was about to ensue.

I have had to split it up as it was too long to put into one post...

Hope lots of you have a go at adding to this great story :)

Favorite Froud Book? The Art of Wendy Froud

Re: Every Rose Has It's Thorn

Willow\\\\\'s Mum Nov 14, 03 - 4:07 AM "Every Rose has it's Thorn" She sits by the window, gazing out at the fields and the stormy sky above them. Who was the mysterious stranger she had dreamt of , just the night before? She rarely remembered her dreams, but this one was so vivid, seemed so real...Slowly, she becomes aware that she is not alone. She can hear the sound of gentle breathing behind her, but sees no reflection in the window. Strangely unafraid, she slowly turns her head. Standing before her...Standing behind her, just beyond the reach of the lamplight, stood a figure in the shadows. Tall, with broad shoulders and a solid outline. Suddenly, something banged on the window in front of her. She whipped her head around, startled. A raven was beating its wings against the pane as the wind picked up. It clacked its beak against the glass, trying to get in... trying to tell her something...She turned around again, and the shadow-figure was gone. She rushed up out of her windowseat, and with a touch of her hand at its base, the lamp increased its light. A few coloured leaves and pine needles lay on the floor where the figure had stood..."Where have you gone?" she wondered aloud, her voice soft and young yet tinted with the hard edge of much aquired knowledge. "I felt you were so near this time, as if you had stepped from my dreams at last...who are you?" She closed her eyes, searching, seeing if she could feel his prescence, wondering if it had all been real; it had felt so real...She went to the window and looked out at the storm, breath steaming the glass. The sky was gray and heavy with swirling clouds that cried harsh tears of pelting rain. The thunder growled, nature bared its teeth. The wind shook the windows, trying to find a way inside. It was beautiful and wild and everything about it reminded her of him.Her eyes searched the storm...To no avail. The storm refused to share anything with her.Sighing she picks up her cup of tea and sipps at it contemplating the storm some more.After awhile she reaches a desicion puts her teacup down and puts on a jacket, scarf (her favorite red fuzzy one) and pulls on her boots. With one last glance out the window she walks over to the corner, picks up the leaves etc. and heads out into the storm...the bitter sharp wind took her breath in white phantoms of cloud from her now icy lips. 'What do you want of me!' she screamed towards the inky black sky, but the wind captured her words as if she had made no sound at all. She peered into the night, and took the path that lead to the stream at the edge of the garden. The stream once spoke to her in a silvery tinkling babble of summer, love and light; but now it was a dead sheet of mirror reflecting the storm clouds above. She put a pale hand onto the ice, as if she doubted it was real. What she saw beneath the icy surface of water chilled her heart...... chilled her heart to the core. Her own reflection, only paler and transparent, and beneath her... HIM. Shadows and shades and glimmerings in the dark; it was him. HIM. Just as his hand reached for hers, she reached out her hand to him. Almost touching... almost... She reeled back suddenly as the visage of the raven bobbed up to under the ice, pecking and clawing at the inch-thick ice of the surface. Another raven swooped down, circling her above, before landing on the snow and ice of the frozen brook. It stomped its feet and pecked at the ice for its partner, cawing loudly at her. With a rush, she fell to her knees and pounded against the ice. Her frozen fists beat against it, willing it to break and scatter... cold water, sucking the heat and life like death, seeped out of small cracks, numbing her bloodied fists. She beat the ice...

Willow\\\\\'s Mum Nov 14th, 2003 - 4:10 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" but to no avail. The face peered up at her, icy, frozen as though it had never had life at all. The leaves, now blowing aross the icy landscape seemed to dance with delight at the torture she was feeling. The face began to move under the now blood soaked ice. The river was carrying him away. Or was it just her imagination, was...was he just a dream, after all? A figment? The night can play cruel tricks on a fragile mind, and the last few months had taken their toll on her, she knew that. The face had now gone, as had the raven under the ice, but the other bird, the raven on the surface remained, desperately throwing itself against the frozen water. No,"NO! This IS real, I am NOT going mad...and I must find the truth! Who are you-WHERE are you? Please...". Like the raven, she throws herself against the unyielding ice, but it seems hopeless. She looks the raven in the eye, and something tragic and older than the hills passes between them. She can hold back the tears no longer, and slowly they fall down her cheek, and onto the stream. "What's happening?"... ... ... "What's happening?" Her quiet, breathy, slightly hiccupy desperation fell dully onto the ice and snow. The raven calmed and stilled, looking directly into her eyes. Its eyes held a human understanding within them, flecks of amber and grey dancing in the irises. The only sound to be heard as human and bird stared into each others eyes was the wind, howling amongst the bare-branched denuded trees. The raven hopped over a few feet, tiny specks of blood spattering on the snow from its feet. Her hands bled solidly into the snow. The raven hopped into her lap, resting its head against her heart. She sat up a little straighter, tears freezing on her face. Slowly, very slowly, she brings her hands up and folds them over the raven in her lap. Her own heartbeat seems amplified, as if it was thrumming through her entire system.She stood up, not knowing what else to do, and set off towards the cabin, every step carefully measured and sending knives up her legs through her heart... agonizingly slow steps.... As she approached the cabin she noticed the warm glow of a light in one of the windows. She stopped dead in the snow and tried to remember if she has left any lights on in the cabin. At that moment she saw a shadow cross in front of the light. In her fear she let go of the raven, it cawed back at her and flew directly towards the cabin. She wasn't sure if she should run back the way she came or if she should confront what ever it was that had been haunting her dreams and from today her waking life. Slowly, stealthily, she moved around the cabin trying to peer in through the cracks in the curtains. The only sound she could hear now was the crunch of the snow beneath her feet. Even the storm seemed to be waiting for something. It's rolling seemed a distant memory. Stopping at each window, her breath floating in clouds, her body cold with fear, she began watching, waiting for any sign of the the being inside. The bird now sat quiet on the railing of the porch. It watched unblinking at the door like a gargoyle atop some far away building. She crept to the door slowly grasping the handle. A slight turn and... The raven was soft and warm in her arms, the only warmth in this land. It remained eerily still with nothing but the wind setting its feathers into fluttering motion. She reached the cabins safety and hauled the door open against the wind. Only one arm cradled it now and her numb fingers slipped. The bird came to life instantly, its wings flaring in panic, the once docile bird became wild once more. She shrieked and squeezed her eyes shut as its wings beat against her face. Then it was gone. She thought it must have flown back into the storm but then she heard a resounding thud from inside. The panicked bird had flown into the cabin and now it was trapped inside, crashing against the cabin walls in its desperate bid for freedom...

Willow\\\\\'s Mum Nov 14th, 2003 - 4:11 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" Or was it? She struggled to push the door closed, seeing as no-one was in her small cabin. She leaned her forhead against the chilled wooden door. Suddenly, she froze in place as two black-clad arms were placed next to hers, and warm breath brushed against her neck. Her senses were flooded with the scent of pine and forest floor as a pair of warm, achingly familiar lips pressed themselves against her cheek near her ear, and smiled against her skin..."Are you real?" She whispered. Her reply was the faint sound of HIM opening his mouth to speak, but no air nor sound came from a face she longed to see. She closed her eyes, and when she opened them, HE was gone.She spun around frantically, and faced the raven perched calmly on the stand next to her phone, watching her with black eyes that had flecks of amber and grey dancing in them..The storm had returned, the rain now pelting hard against the windows. She went across the room still wary of the raven and began to light a fire. The kiss had seemed to real, what was happening to her, was she going totally crazy? After numerous attempts the fire was now lit and giving of much needed warmth. She picked up the phone to call the upper house and found the line dead. The panic started to rise in her again, but quickly subsided as there was nothing she could do now, she would accept her fate when it came. She took a big woollen blanket from the little bed in the corner and sat in front of the fire in a great big arm chair and snuggled into the blanket. After staring at the flames for a while she gradually fell asleep... ... and gradually fell asleep.Forest floor and pine needles. Laughing eyes and dancing shadows.Laughing eyes.Lips like butterfly wings on her skin. Darkness like silk in her mind. Moth wings on her skin.Forest floor and pine.Eyes like obsedian and a mouth like sex. Muscles like water under satin. But solid. Like willow trees; supple and strong.Kiss of moth wings.Forest floor and pine needles. Eyes like candle flames. Black flames. Dark flames. Wild and fae and the spice of ginger. Forest floor and pine needles.Forest floor and pine............ She awakens..........She awakens, not opening her eyes at first, not wishing to leave the dream behind. As she becomes more conscious, more aware of her surroundings, she realises that the scent of the pine needles, the FEEL of the forest floor, still surrounds her, more vivid than ever. She opens her eyes with a start- "How can this be? Where am I?...Where are you?...".."...Why are you doing this? What do you want from me?" she stood up in the middle of the clearing and shouted her questions against the wind. She looked around. She had no way of knowing where she was or how to get back.Then there was the sound of whispering and she felt his presence behind her. It was unmistakable, and a moment later it was confirmed. She felt his hand creep up her kneck sending tingles along her skin. Then he wrapped his fingers in her hair and turned her head to face him.Her breath was taken away as she stared into those eyes of fire and ice. He was a most beautiful creature, with an almost palpable aura of power surrounding him. He could not help but make an impression.She felt herself go weak as she remembered that last, fleeting kiss, and wanted more. She opened her mouth to ask all the questions which had not been answered, but he placed his finger there."Shhh, I do not have much time. Forgive me for taking you from your home but my power is greater here, and I have need of it."She felt a touch of fear course along her spine and she tried to pull away. He grabbed her arm and pulled her to him."Stop! Why do you try to run after trying so hard to reach me? I am trapped. I can linger for but a moment. I need you to come and set me free..."Then his lips were on hers, fulfilling all the longings she had had for him. But halfway through he pulled back, raising his head to the skies."Please...

Willow\\\\\'s Mum Nov 14th, 2003 - 4:13 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" ...not now!" his beautiful face became suddenly contorted into a grimace of pain." She calls- I have little strength to fight her, and little time. Rose- Rose, you must help me... seek the mountain under the water..." Rose reached out to him, to try and help, to draw him back to her, but already he had started to fade." What do I call you? How will I find you?", she cried out to his shadowy form." SHE holds my true name...but you may call me Thorn...For every Rose must have it's Thorn, is it not so?..."...and briefly she thought she caught a glimpse of a shadow of a smile before he slipped out of sight completely, his hand stretched out to caress her face...and then he was gone." So now what?" She mumbled to herself, expecting no reply."Normal rules- YOUR rules anyway- no longer apply."Rose gave a startled yelp and span round to face the voice, but the only creature she could see was the Raven, perched expectantly on a nearby branch."You are stronger than you know, but danger lies ahead. The witch that holds your love's true name is a jealous one. You'll need all the help you can get. I have a ...vested interest in this matter. I will be your guide. Any questions...?" ..... "Any questions?""Um... yeah," said Rose, "Tons of 'em, in fact. But I take it that you can't answer most of 'em.""Probably not," said the Raven, giving what Rose swore was the avarian equivalent to a shrug. She sighed, and dug frozen fingers through her scalp."So... you can talk." She said, staring at the Raven."It would appear so.""Right... So...""So... what?""Exactly.""I'm not sure I follow your line of question and reason," said the Raven, cocking his head at her."Okay... okay, okay, okay," Rose said, taking a deep breath, "What happens now? Do I... find this mountain under the lake and see what happens? Or do I go find this witch person and then go the mountain under the lake? And what the hell is a mountain doing UNDER a lake?""I see. Well," said the Raven, "Come along as I explain. Faster girl, hurry up; keep moving. Now then, let's see... ah yes, so you're in love with Thorn, as he's calling himself, since the Rules here state that he cannot give you his true name. That makes things difficult.""Do I even want to know 'difficult in what way?'" Rose asked, as she jogged along behind the Raven. /I'm accepting this all rather calmly/ she thought to herself."Not really.""I guessed as much. Well... lead on then..." "Do you know anything of Witches?" The bird asked."A little," Rose said, "But I'm a bit confused as to which ideas are fictional and which ones aren't."The Crow gave a squawk that might have been a laugh."Witches use magick," it said unhelpfully."So I gathered," Rose replied, "But how exactly does that help me?""It doesn't," the bird said, "In fact it puts you at quite a disadvantage.""I already figured that. Have you got anything useful to say?""I have a wealth of useful knowledge," it said, "About magick, its properties, its varieties.""Well would you mind revealing some of it to me?" she asked impatiently."What's your name?""What on earth does that have to do with-""Never mind, indulge me, your name.""Rose," she said."That all?""Rose Mar-""No, no, no! Don't tell me!""But you justed asked-"The Crow landed directly in her path staring at her intently with its beady eyes."NEVER reveal your name. Do you understand me? A name is special, it is a word of power. The one who controls the name controls the person. Understand?" "...See?" the Raven pierced her eyes with those shards of obsedian flecked with amber and grey. Rose blinked once."Right, gotcha," she said tonelessly. The Raven took off again, and she had to hurry to keep up. Jogging along, she listened and replied to what the Raven was telling her. Suddenly, it

Willow\\'s Mum Nov 14th, 2003 - 4:14 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" landed in front of her. She, panting, dropped to her knees in front of him."What do you call me in your world?" he asked her. Rose screwed up her face in confusion.'"What? Raven," she said, "You're a raven." The bird cocked his head at her for a moment."There is this poem about a Raven," Rose said into the silence, as the snow began to fall around them, "It's most famous line is 'Nevermore!' It's written by Edgar Allen Poe." She tucked her hands under her armpits to warm them. It didn't work well."How perfectly ridiculous.""He's considered one of the most brilliant literary figures of all time.""Good grief; spare me this infant mentality!" The Raven took off with a small spray of snow. Rose struggled to keep up in the snow drifts."So, Raven, where are we going right now?" she asked. ...she asked."... The watery mountain, right?""Oh, yes, splendid!", replied the Raven, in a mixture of frustration and amusement."Marvellous idea! You can't use Magick, you'd give any old bird your name as soon as they asked, and you get out of breath jogging for a few feet! I know! Let's just go straight to the Witches stronghold and confront her, hmm? Not to mention all the minions...""AlRIGHT!", snapped Rose,"I get the picture. There's no need to be sarcastic..."" I apologise. But a lot rests on your success. YOU are the champion. Odin can only guess why you were chosen, but who can predict the way of the heart, human or Fae. The important thing is you WERE chosen, you ARE here, and what you are going to have to face is beyond your comprehension, and beyond my ability alone to help you."" So we need to find MORE help...more people to join us?""People? You'll be lucky...But help? Oh yes, child, we'll be needing plenty of that..." "... oh yes child, we'll be needing plenty of that."Rose considered his words with half a mind as she jogged in the icy air. Part of her was wondering how on earth she was so calm and accepting of all this... this... well, THIS. Faeire. Witches. Yeah... right."Are you listening?" The Raven snapped as he flapped startingly in her face. Rose took an involuntary step back, slipped, and fell. "Well... NOW I am," she snapped, "What were you saying? And spare me the lecture about paying attention.""I was not about to." That halted Rose for a moment."Oh. Sorry.""No harm done." Rose dusted off her snowy tush, and shook out her cold limbs. The moon was peaking through the clouds, lending a blue-purple glow to the woods. "You know," she said, looking around, "What else is out there that I should be aware of?""Too many things for comfort," replied the Raven, settling on a nearby branch, "Are you afraid? You're shivering.""Oh, no," said Rose absently, peering into the barely illuminated wilderness, "I'm just a little bit cold." Therein followed a silence, save for the wind knocking the bare branches together in the forest. She looked at the Raven, who was watching her intently."What are you watching for?" she asked, wrapping her arms about herself."I am sorry that this has been thrust upon you so suddenly," he said unexpectedly compassionate, "But there was no time, you see." Rose said nothing. "What happened to the other Raven?" Rose asked suddenly. The Raven, who had been watching the forest of the night, whipped his head around to face her...to face her. Rose was startled by the look in the Raven's eyes. Such fury and behind it, a terrible sadness. When it looked as though the Raven was about to speak, he turned away again, back towards the night. Eventually he spoke." You ought to start a fire...""Hmm?" replied Rose, confused by the avoidance of her question." The cold. You ought to start a fire. You'll freeze."" Is there any shelter around here? Anywhere we can go?"" No.""Oh....I don't know how...to start a fire. Sorry."" You modern humans.

Willow\\\\\'s Mum Nov 14th, 2003 - 4:15 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" The Raven looked around carefully, taking in every detail of the forest. "I think it's safe...", he mumbled, almost to himself." There you go, then, child."In the centre of the clearing, as though it had been there all the time, was burning a very healthy looking, very warm, campfire. Rose was understandably astonished."How? How did you...?"" Oh, it's not so tricky once you learn how. Matter in Faery is easily manipulated. But we mustn't draw attention to ourselves. Every use of magic here is like throwing a stone into a lake. It sends out ripples, understand?", the Raven replied." Yes I think I'm starting to..." replied Rose, becoming increasingly tired,"But you never answered my question..."With his eyes still on the night, the Raven replied, softly,"No. I didn't. Sleep child. The world will be different in the morning..."" Again?" uttered Rose, sleepily, and drifted off into dreams of black feathers, and amber eyes.... ... and amber eyes. She was swimming, down down and down and down... down to the dark of the deep. Air was nonexistant. Breathing was out of the question.Panic; panic at the utterance of the water in her ears. Panic at the dark surrounding her.It was impossible to smell the forest under water. She tasted it instead; sweet and green and gold. Sweet and green and gold.Panic in her lungs.Green.Solidness in front of her. Panic in her lungs. No air. No air.Gold.A sudden brilliance around her. Voices in her head. Panic in her lungs. No air.Sweet.And ahead of her in the sudden brilliance, the mountain under the lake.AWAKE................... "Oh, great." Rose said as she awoke to find torrential rain flooding the clearing. The canopy did not stop it, in fact it streamed from the leaves like a waterfall. The fire had been totally dowsed."Quick, we must get away from here," Raven cried."You got that right."The bird flew ahead of her and she followed through a forest that seemed to be quickly becoming a swamp. The rain distorted her vision and she could only just see the Ravens black shape in front of he. She tried to go faster, to catch up with him but he would not wait for her. He began flitting out of her field of vision. She heard him cry "Hurry! Hurry!" but it was barely audible above the rain.Rose stumbled and fell splashing into the mud. " Well, well, well..."Rose lifted up her muddy face from the puddle to see who was addressing her."What HAVE we got here? Hmmm?"The voice was dark and amused, and Rose didn't like it one bit. She wiped the dirt from her eyes and looked up into the strangest face she'd ever seen. The woman who stood before her could have been considered beautiful, but she was too cold, too unsettling, to be in any way attractive. Her skin was pale as death, with eyes like bright amethysts, and instead of hair, a mixture of crow's feathers and spiders legs danced a surreal dance in the breeze. The rain stopped at a click of her fingers, and an eerie silence echoed through the trees..." Who... who are you?", Rose managed to stutter." I, groundling am the ruler of this land. And I believed I asked the question first?""I-I'm no-one.Really.""Indeed. So you are."" You're not the rightful ruler of this land, Morgan, and you know it!"The Raven had reappeared, with the same intense look of fury Rose had seen the night before." Ah, how sweet! 'No-one' has a pet birdy..."Something just out of sight appeared to distract the witch, and Rose could feel Thorn, very near." I don't have time to torture you insignificants. Greater matters call...It's your lucky day, groundling!" And with a stereotypically evil chuckle, Morgan vanished..... Morgan vanished."THORN!" Rose screamed as the wind picked up again. It died just as quickly, leaving her muddy, soggy, and depressed. And quite a bit panicked.

Willow\\\\\'s Mum Nov 14th, 2003 - 4:17 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" "Oh GREAT! Just FANTASTIC! Psycho-witch Morgan has my dream-state boyfriend in her clutches! And I'm sitting here in the mud, useless and soggy as all hell, with no idea what the FRELL I'm supposed to DO AOUT IT!" The Raven looked at her, surprise written all over his aviarian features. His beak was open in astonishment."Yes, well," she said, deciding at angry was better than panicked, although the part of her mind labeled PANIC had not quite given up just yet, "I suppose that there is a REASON for all this. I mean, people don't just go through all this crap for nuthin', right? Right... and I'm Sally Field.""Sally... WHO?" the Raven asked incredulously. "Nevermind," Rose said absently, "Just get me clean, get me warm, get me OUT of here so I can PLAN, somebody to help me carry OUT my plan, and we'll be OKAY." The Raven watched the change in Rose, seeing the Warrior that lived beneath the surface."Ah," he said quietly to himself as he watched Rose watching her muddy hands, "So that is why HE chose you for us."He sighed then, and the Warrior in the frail-looking woman in front of him vanished, and her shoulders slumped. Angry, hurt, desperate eyes bore into his own too-human ones.....He bowed his head in shame, and tried not to cry..... "At least she's distracted," Rose said, "Though I fear to speculate why.""She does not have complete control over Thorn," Raven said, "He fights her.""Then it WAS him, I hope he's not in danger.""He is in danger ever seccond, but you cannot dwell on that. You can do nothing to save him yet, what you must concerntrate on is doing the things you CAN do.""But WHAT can I do?!" Rose demanded, "I am as nothing compared to this woman. What am I SUPPOSED to be? Some kind of hero? A hero without weapons, without powers, without abilities-""Rose, you must believe in yourself. If you do not then we're all lost. You are a hero, and you have strength, here, in your heart. Rely on that for now, the rest will come later. But you must have faith."Rose sighed. "I'm sorry. It's just I started trying to think of something I could do, and I couldn't. I started thinking of people I could ask for help but my friends would be even more helpless here than I.""Perhaps you underestimate them.""Maybe.""Faith, Rose. If they are your friends then they will not hesitate to help you as you did not hesitate to help Thorn.""Fat lot of good that's done so far.""The good will become apparent.""Right.. yeah.. sure.." "Yeah, right, sure."The Raven shook his head. He felt so ashamed of himself sometimes... but what must be done, must be done. And, the human girl did have a point, in fact."Well, come away then," he said with a sigh. He glanced once more in the place where the witch had been."What!?" Rose cried, "Just now? Just like that! We're LEAVING? Now!?" The Raven didn't look at her, merely took off and slowly flapped a little further away."We're going to get you some of those people who are here, who can help you," he said as Rose finally arose and came after him, letting her mud-soaked arms float limply at her sides."And then we're going to get you clean, get you warm, and let you plan," he said matter-of-factly. Rose said nothing, but merely followed him."So what's your story?" she asked him two hours later. Niether had spoken until then. The Raven fluttered briefly in the air before continuing on."I am a Raven; I am a guide," he said, "Nothing more, nothing less." Rose finally showed skepticism. It felt funny after two hours of expressionlessness, and the mud caked on her face was dried."And....? Elaborate, please," she said. /I know people who would pay a fortune to have this kind of beauty treatment. Huh. Wonder if any of 'em would go through faerieland? Heh./ she thought vaguely to herself."That is the least," said the Raven, "And that is the most.""English please. Not everyone here speaks Japanese

Willow\\\\\'s Mum Nov 14th, 2003 - 4:18 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" , "I spoke in plain English! I CAN speak in Portuguese, Latin, and Gaelic. Would that be easier?""No," Rose said, fairly amused, "I meant, that, could you be more specific? Speak in terms that I understand. Quit talking in riddles. It's like you're speaking a whole 'nother language." She crossed her arms, and tried to look as stubborn and determined as one can while covered head-to-foot in dried mud."Oh." The Raven didn't know what to say to that. "Look's like I've got my work cut out for me," he said with a resigned sigh....... "Why don't we start back at the beginning?" Rose asked with a bemused grin. "Oh no...You can't go back!"Screached the Raven,"Thorn brought you here and only HE can take you back." Rose suddenly realized how permanent her situation could be."That's not what I meant," Said Rose the smile completely gone. "I meant why don't you give me more detail as to what's going on, how I'm supposed to stop it, or fix it, without magick and what makes me so special!""Magick is used everywhere here. It is part of the land the sky and the beings. Every time Magick is used we feel it, breathe it and understand it. No spell goes unnoticed. That's where you come in. You can walk around unnoticed here, or almost. You are a groundling - no magick! To the witch you are non-consequential. You have no power so you are no threat. No one here cares what humans can do. They don't know or understand you. This is YOUR power!""So what your saying is that here I am some how at the advantage over a witch?""Exactly!" The raven flew up with excitement. "I think she finally understands!" Rose wondered if she should tell him she was more confused than ever or not."So who do we get to help us?" She was wondering if there were any other humans here. How would she tell people she knew that she had brought them to a place everyone only knew from a fantasy story? Who would speak to her after this wierd adventure? What if they didn't get home?"That's up to you!" Said the Raven quietly as though reading into her thoughts..... " There are those here who may be willing to help- It would be an understatement to say that Morgan was not universally popular. However, she does have her supporters, and they're not always obvious. Greatest care must be taken over who you decide to trust.""What about bringing someone here? Someone I already trust, from back home?", replied Rose, starting, at last, to sound a bit more together."Like I said, that's up to you. But it will take a powerful connection to draw someone to you here, as the connection to Thorn drew YOU to him. And, as you rightfully fear....there may be no going back."" So, what you're saying is," said Rose, sounding resigned but resolute,"...that if I really care about the people I care about, I have to leave them behind. I'm alone.""No. I'm here."Rose was touched by the Raven's loyalty, but concerned by the seeming darkening of his tone. she trusted him, yes, but she was sure that he was keeping something from her. Unsure of what to say, they travelled on in silence. After some time, the sky sank to a deep purple hue, and the moon rose. It was quite beautiful, and Rose imagined she could hear unearthly, sweet music coming from the trees around them. The Raven stopped on a nearby branch, and gestured at the clearing ahead of them. it was then that Rose realised that she hadn't imagined the music at all."Here we are", whispered the Raven, "Shelter, food, and probably a bit more help..."Rose stepped forward into the clearing, and what she saw took her breath away... ... It was a party but a party unlike anything she had ever seen either in reality or dream. There were dancers and they were equisitally dressed and the dance itself was no less beautiful. The twisting and spinning of their bodies was hypnotic, wild yet graceful. Rose was entranced."You must not join the dance," Raven warned.

Willow\\\\\\'s Mum Nov 14th, 2003 - 4:19 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" Rose said nothing but drifted closer to the gathering. Accommodation was ranged in tents and marquees in a myriad of colours, and there were great long tables loaded with food. The backdrop was a lake in which some of these beings swam but others were dancing on its surface. For they were not human, their beauty far exceeded anything of a mortal realm.

Spriggan Nov 17th, 2003 - 5:24 PM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" The Raven then took off ahead of Rose over the heads of the dancers. Rose wove her way through the merry group and had a difficult time not joining in as the music seemed to fill the whole of her being and even though her body was walking if felt as though her spirit had joined into to dance and had been dancing with them forever. When Rose finally caught up to the Raven he was perched on the branch of a Silver Birch tree and looked to be in deep discussion with a tall and willowy character. "Rose this is Moonlight, he is a Dryad of this forest, he has said he will help us by giving you food and shelter for the night"...

Spriggan Nov 19th, 2003 - 5:56 PM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" “Hi Moonlight, thank you for your kind offer of help. Raven I just have one little problem? I may not know much about Faeries but what I have heard is that eating anything in their realm would mean that I could never leave.” Rose sat on a nearby rock still covered in mud and totally exhausted. Raven came down and perched on her leg. “I’m glad that you have paid attention to at least some of the so called myths and legends. That was a little test of mine to see if you had any kind of chance of completing the quest ahead” said Raven as he stared into her eyes. “Well done, you are smarter than I thought. Still you do need shelter and you really do need to have a bath”

Amuletts Nov 21st, 2003 - 8:46 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" Raven gestured towards the lake where there slender beings were swimming languidly.Rose flushed "I can't wash there, I need... privacy. And what of clean clothes?"The raven made a rattling sound in its throat that might have been a laugh and flew away from her. He landed at the edge of the water where it was shallow and began splashing the water across his back. He kept giving her brief mocking looks as she continued to stand dumbly.Reluctantly she moved to follow him. When she arrived he hopped out the water and flew onto her shoulder where he began to preen himself. Not that it was needed -his feathers shone and were completely dry.She stared open mouthed at him."How..?"He laughed again, "I think it's going to take a little time for you to get used to the idea of magick."Rose shook her head and moved into the water. Raven left her with a quick warning over his shoulder 'Don't drink it!'The water tingled as she moved through it, deeper into the lake. She did not feel quite safe, she felt she could not trust this magick. The slender beings - Rose supposed them dryads to - were close at hand, dancing on the waters surface. She was sure they kept giving her furtive glances in the middle of their reveling."Ignore them," Rose told herself, "You are just being paranoid."She stopped and looked down at her clothes. They floated about her in the lake but she could see all traces of dirt and grime had been removed and they seemed to shine just like the ravens feathers. Carefully she began to scoop up water and spill it over her hair.Suddenly she felt a hand on her arm, cold, with a firm grip.

Willow\\\\\\\\\'s Mum Nov 23rd, 2003 - 3:19 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" Rose turned to face the Dryad that held her arm. The Dryad was looking so intently into her eyes, that she seemed to be searching her soul, and when she spoke, her lips did not move, but Rose heard the words with her heart. "What brought you here?" The words of the Dryad seemed to resonate throughout Rose's being."Love. Love brought me here", replied Rose's heart, before her brain and mouth had time to respond to the question. Rose's brain was a bit startled by this, but nevertheless, remained silent."And when you leave, what will become of your love? What is more important than Love, that you are so anxious to return home?""Home is where my heart lies...wherever it lies..."replied Rose's heart. The Dryad looked satisfied with this answer, and started to move away. It's parting words were to stay with Rose for a long time," You have a destiny, Rose whose heart is Thorn. You will unite our worlds, and bring balance to both. Destiny is more powerful than any of us- fight it not, but join with it, and become your true self...""Er...okay, then", replied Rose with her brain, long after the Dryad had rejoined the dance. Rose drifted numbly back to the settlement, and was guided to her own tent, with her own mattress, where she slept, and dreamt of secret faces and a throne of vines. She didn't hear Raven and Moonlight outside as they spoke about her." Does she know yet, my lord, who you are?", the Dryad whispered in his own tongue." No. Not yet. Nor I think does she know who Thorn truly is."" She should know. Much rides on her success. My lady the Queen..."" I am aware, Moonlight, of the importance of this quest. But for now, I am a Raven, as Morgan has made me, and so is my love. Powerless. Yes, we are depending on Rose, but we have to lead her into this as gently as possible. Human minds are so fragile...""My lord, her heart is strong."" Yes, I have to believe that. My son believes that...and that is our only hope....

Amuletts Nov 27th, 2003 - 3:38 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" Rose awoke completely disorientated and feeling ravenous.The bird was perked above her, looking down, and she guessed it was he who had made her wake."Are you rested? Are you ready? We must go onwards."Rose was stiff from her exertions yesterday but she forced herself to rise. It was still dark with the barest hint of dawn on the horison."How early is it?" she asked.Raven fluffed his feathers in irritaition, "It is late to be getting on," he replied, "and you must not think your feeble, mortal perceptions of time apply here.*He's in a bad mood* Rose thought.She was surprised to find new clothes at the end of her bed, a pair of breaches and a top. Practical, yet of fine material and intricately crafted and perfectly tailored to her size."Where have these come from?" she asked.Raven displayed irritation again, "Moonlight likes to be extravogant at times.""Oh,"Raven flew out to let her change and when she was ready she stepped out to find not only him waiting for her but the dryad as well."Thankyou she said," gesturing towards the outfit."It is a poor garment," he said, "I would have better for you.""Moonlight volunteered to acompany us," Raven spat.This seemed very favourable to Rose, she could not see why Raven disliked the idea. She wanted to ask him more about it but decided it would be best to wait until they could speak privately."Onwards then?""Onwards."Rose went ahead first, the others lingered behind exchanging thundery looks. *They must have had an argument* Rose thought, but that was of trivial concern now.

SprigganNov 27th, 2003 - 9:14 PM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" "So Raven where to now?" Asked Rose, she was feeling much refreshed from her sleep and more hopefull than she had been in a long time. "Follow this path to the North, that will take us closer to the Underwater Mountain but not too close, we still need to teach you all about magic. I fear that may take some time" Said Raven sounding a little short and disgruntled. Raven flew off towards the North but always made sure that the others could see him. Moonlight and Rose now walked side by side as the path had become wider. "Moonlight, if you don't mind me asking, what is a Dryad?" Moonlight looked at her with a little smile as he said simply "We are the spirits of the trees". "So how is it that you have left your tree to come on this journey?" They had now stopped so that Moonlight could give Rose his full attention. "In the world of Faerie a Dryad may leave a tree for a period of time without harm coming to the tree, or to himself, or herself. It is not the same where you come from. The Dryad is bound to the tree and can only move a few feet away, until the tree is no longer living. Then we come back here and inhabit another tree until and that is if we choose to go back into your world as a sapling". They had started walking again when they saw the Raven flying towards them "What's the hold up? Keep moving, we need to get to the Sacred Cave before the sun sets"...

Robin Van K. Nov 29th, 2003 - 4:46 AM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" As they walked Rose could hear something moving behind the camoflage of the trees. Moonlight and the Raven looked straight ahead as if there was no noise at all, only a destination. Squish, crunch, slither, giggle. Finally she couldn't stand it! "Am I the only one who hears THAT?", She pionted the the trees, "Am I the only curious one here?".Raven and Moonlight looked toward the trees. "That is why it is so important for you to learn about Magick. We feel the beings in the trees, all of them. We do not have to wonder who or what is there." Moonlight was still looking into the forest as he said this. "I would offer to introduce you but you would not understand them yet and may do something to offend one of the tribes.""I WOULD NOT!" Rose spat indignantly. "I will have you know that I have very good manners and I LOVE anything to do with Faeries and sprites.....and...Well just EVERYTHING!""Manners don't matter here. Loving to some species is wrong. It is a human emotion which belittles the intensity of what is felt here. The intensity which brought you here." Moonlight looked down at her and she felt like he had just crept into her very soul. "If you offend a being here they may tell your whereabouts to the witch. They may trick you into giving information, eating something, going in the wrong direction. You must be very careful of what you don't understand." Hearing the word eating reminded Rose that she had not eaten in quite somtime. Her stomach began to growl furiously."Speaking of eating...What can I eat here?"The Raven turned quickly and flew at her face...

Amuletts Dec 3rd, 2003 - 3:05 PM Re: "Every Rose has it's Thorn" Rose threw up her hands to protect her face but Moonlight pulled them down."Oh, don't make a fuss," he said.Then Rose realised the bird was trying to put something into her mouth. She let him and felt something round, cold and hard on her tongue."Don't chew it," Raven said, "just swallow."Rose swallowed the lump with some difficulty."What is it?" she asked."Stone," Raven mumbled."Stone!?""It's enchanted," he said irratably, "Fae often give them to mortals they bring here. It will lie in your stomach and satiate your hunger for as long as it does, but as soon as any morsal of food passes your lips the enchantment is broken and you will hunger again.""Cool," said Rose, "So I'll never have to buy food again."Raven looked sideways at her, "Eating is a mortal pleasure, Rose. You will not hunger but you may feel... unsatisfied."Rose shrugged, she was not hungry anymore and she felt satisfied for the moment."So what about those other mortals you were talking about? I thought you said there weren't any here and that was why I had an advantage."Raven shook his head, "Mortals here are slaves, servants. They are unimportant, subordinate, unnoticed. The fae control them easily, they are no concern."Rose stopped and stood with her mouth wide in outrage and shock."WHAT?"

I remember this story!!! Hooray resurrections!

wow ...was it really that long ago...just seems like last year to me. I have been gone a long time I guess. hugs all missed you!

Hi there Robin Van K,

Good to see you again :). I was quit surprised myself when I reaslised that this story had been started in 2003! It really didn't seem like that long ago...

Wishes of the very best kind

Spriggan

ps, howdy to Fee Lion as well! Good to see you too!

so are finishing this thing or what? And has anyone heard form willow's mum lately? I know she changed her name on here but I can't for the life of me remember what she changed it to

Hi Robin!
We decided to start a new chain story rather than finish this one (don't recall why...?). But feel free to jump in on the new one if you want...I think Spriggan is writing the next installment. The story itself is the thread "Eagle the Wolf and the Horse" and our discussion of it is the "Anyone interested in writing a chain story?" thread...
I haven't noticed Willow'smum aka SidheRa on here in a long time...

Hope all is well with you!
Peace

I have some of the story

I have some of the story. I am re-dreaming the Morgan myth. I want to write it down but I don't know where the rest of the story is, and if Sprig has writen the next bit, I best read that before setting anything down, right? (assuming that I have to write something.)

Would appreciate any useful related information.

Graciously,
Priestess Light.

Favorite Froud Book? The runes of Elfland

Re: I have some of the story

Hmm just to clear up any possible confusion...I don't THINK anyone is working on ERHT right now...the other story (Eagle, Horse and wolf?? Shoot I don't even remember what we called it...) is the only one that is currently being worked on...as far as I know but....LOL I often feel like I don't know anything!
So please correct me if I'm wrong....

Why isn't the story being finished? I'd love to write some of it.

Hi there Priestess Light,

One of the reasons nothing has been added to this story is that there is a whole heap of it missing. It is thanks to Cori that this much has been saved.

So we decided to focus on the new story. You are welcome to ad to this one if you like or the new one.

The last I remember of ERHIT was an escape from Morgan's castle and that a great battle was about to ensue.

Best wishes

Spriggan

Ok. I'm just really into finishing old stories right now. It's like the story is saying 'finish me, please finish me'. If no-one minds perhaps I can print of what is posted up, fill in the gaps and complete the tale.

It feels important.

-Light

Actually, I'd say that ANYONE who wants to 'complete' the story do so -- it might be interesting to see how many different ways the tale might go. (Grin!)

Favorite Froud Book? All of them!

LOL RdeHwyll!
that made me think of those old "choose your own adventure" books. That would be fun!
"In an infinite universe infinite possibilities exist"

Ok, I get it

Hello, ok I have downloaded all the bits so I'll have a crack at it this weekend. I remember when the first post of the story was put up. So pretty. Seems like not that long ago, but it was a few years.

Sorry I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, thanks for being patient with me. Hope I didn't rub anyone up the wrong way. I have recently realised that I could be a bit less cagey. Softly, quietly, like the fox, not like the gorilla trying to hit folks over the head with the holy grail.

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis