World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any herbal remedies for severe colds?

I've had this sickness for a week and a half and I feel literally like I'm going to die. I've been taking Zicam, Airborne, 3,000 mg vitamin C, tea, and drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice. I've been getting rid of a lot of it but it still keeps lingering in my sinuses making me constantly hack loogies and blow my nose. There's a lot of people who seem to have this long standing illness around me. I'm taking cough medicine too which helps but I'm wondering if all my faerie friends out there know of anything else I can take without having to go to a doctor and get antibiotics? Something without side effects or narcotics?

Re: Any herbal remedies for severe colds?

Okay, I've never had the courage to try this but there's this ayurvedic cold remedy:;

"In a small pot, heat 1 tsp. olive oil. Add 1/2 tsp. _each_ curry and cumin; 2 cloves garlic, grated; 1 Tbs. lemon juice and 12 oz. water. Simmer 5 minutes, or until reduced to 1 cup. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired."

Thanks Tink I'll try it! At least I'm starting to dry up and can sleep now. I've been forcing myself to go to work and haven't missed one day but man it's hard!

Hi Kelli, are you under any undue stress at the moment. I have found in the past when I got colds which persisted, it was usually my body's way of telling me to slow down or something, as I needed the rest.

Not undue stress, but I just got OUT of stress a couple weeks ago and can pinpoint exactly who made me sick because HE was sick. He's never coming to my house or into my life again so I know that stress will never return.

I have also found when the source of the stress stopped etc. that was when I would get sick, lol. Our bodies are funny little "machines" at times.

Garlic in hot water works wonders (but it makes friends avoid you for awhile)

Herbal Remedies teas makes a good "Gypsy Cold Care" tea...I used to take that.

I've been amazed at the Airborne immune support stuff too--I just take Airborne when the season comes around and I haven't been sick in a few years, (I only wish it didn't have so much sugar in it!)...

Well now it's down to plain old stuffy sinus congestion that sticks and dosen't want to move! Neither in my throat or in my nose, but somewhere in between. I know I can't keep hot steamy water around me all day though I'd like to. I have a vaporizer at home but I can't take that with me to work. I wake up and can't talk because the dried up snot is just stuck. I think I have those pesky snotrag goblins hanging round.

Hi Kelli,

slicing up bits of raw garlic in your food will help. Also, taking a few drops of Oil of Oregano twice a day will keep the cold germs under control.

Continue taking the vitamin C , but make sure to cut out all refined sugars and pastries around this time.

Cayenne pepper is good-especially in some chili. and make sure to get some home-made vegetable soups in you.

Favorite Froud Book? Fairy Oracle Cards

P.S. Start taking some Carotene supplements as well. One a day. Carotene is the non toxic form of Vitamin A and your body will excrete any excess it doesnt use.

It will boost your immune system when your body is suffering infection.

Favorite Froud Book? Fairy Oracle Cards

goldy funny you should mention the garlic, I just ate some garlic bread with bits of actual garlic on it! And I'll get some chili tonight because I have cayenne pepper. Of course chicken soup too. Carotene supplements...do I get those at a health food store like GNC?

Honey is also fab for colds, and any other bugs too. It is a natural anti-biotic afterall.

If you have a sore throat, I'd suggest Throat Coat tea by Traditional Medicinals. Put a bit of honey in it.

Oh, and dairy foods add to mucus production, so if you're mucusy (I know, that's not a word. Lol), consider cutting out the dairy for a bit.

Well I"m feeling MUCH better now and followed many of your suggestions. Took a long walk around the woods near the lake even. I also can add another prevention to it for next time...squash with brown sugar. It's supposed to boost your immune system. I think I'll eat some anyway. Thank you all so much for the advice! It really works!

I'm glad you're feeling better, Kelli.

Love and Blessings,
Cori

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis