World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
REQUEST: Movie Recommendations like Dark Crystal, the Storyteller

REQUEST: Movie Recommendations like Dark Crystal, the Storyteller

It's so hard to find good movies that have fantasy and enchantment in them. The only thing I can think of like them are the magical legend of the leprechauns or the brothers quay film.

Looking for whimsical fantasy films like these sucks.

Re: REQUEST: Movie Recommendations like Dark Crystal, the Storyteller

Labyrinth
Legend
The 10th Kingdom (mini-series)
Return to Oz
Tin Man (mini-series)
The Mists of Avalon (mini-series)
The Last Unicorn (animated)
The Witches
FairyTale: A True Story
Merlin (TV movie)

I'll try to think of more.

In addition to Cori's list I enjoy
Pan's Labyrinth (WARNING--very dark and adult but it is by far my favorite recently released faerie movie )
Last Mimsy
Amelie
Secret of Roan Inish

Fantasy and enchantment... I think the major ones have been listed already - and I love most of them too. There's also:

Spiderwick Chronicles (never read the book)
Coraline (also never read the book)
the Chronicles of Narnia movies
My Neighbor Totoro

These too, though they aren't necessarily whimsical:

Willow
Ladyhawke
Ever After
Into The Woods - a musical that's a mishmosh of fairytales. Gets pretty dark at times.
Stardust
The Fall - I just saw this recently and it's a gorgeous movie, but very depressing at parts.
The Brothers Grimm

Cori - awesome that you mentioned 10th Kingdom. That's one a lot of people don't seem to know about.

Laiste - I'm glad you brought up Amelie! Magical without being fantasy. I felt that "Chocolat" was like that.

Crap, how could I have forgotten Willow and Ladyhawke? Also, Dragonslayer! (I'm sensing an 80's theme to my tastes lol)

Howl's Moving Castle

Favorite Froud Book? Bad Faeries

Someone mentioned the mists of Avalon. I'm just reading a book called that, wonder if it's the same thing???

Also the Neverending story, Time bandits (giant, don't know about fairies though:), just bought mirrormask but havn't watched it yet, looks good though....

Hi Junkpunk

I think the Mists of Avalon movie is based on the book...very loosely IMO

I love the book...the movie left me feeling slightly disenchanted personally.

I enjoyed mirrormask a lot when I saw it. :) This thread has reminded me of a lot of old favorites that had fallen off my radar...I'll have to hunt them down and rewatch them now!

Okay, the ones that I have seen that have been mentioned are awesome movies and the ones that I haven't seen I will look for. There are a few that I can think of...

Fern Gully
Thumbelina (I'm so not spelling that right but I think you know what I mean)
Princess Mononoke (not a kids movie)
Brother Bear (Native American, whole totem/spirit animal)
Arthur and the Invisibles

There are also two storytellers. One is European stories and the other is Greek myths (the Greek storyteller is Micheal Gambon who plays Dumbledore in movies 3 thru 6 and the other storyteller plays Ollivander). Can you tell that I'm a Potter fan?
I'm also a Jim Henson fan.

I can't think of anymore at the moment may add more later.

Favorite Froud Book? don't make me pick, I like them all

Photographing Fairies
Twilight (i think it counts)
Inkheart
Lady in the water

thats all i can add to it right now. i've not seen a TV in a few months!

Favorite Froud Book? does the Oracle Count?

Lots of my favourites are listed here.

Aw, Fern Gully and Thumbelina! I loved those movies when I was a little girl. I don't hear them mentioned often so it warms my heart to see them here!

Try Dream Child. It's about Alice Liddell, the girl who inspired Lewis Carroll to write Alice in Wonderland. The Wonderland sequences feature puppet and animatronic characters designed by Jim Henson and his Creature Shop.

The Mists of Avalon miniseries was crap. If you want to go Arthurian, watch Excalibur. It's VERY cheesey '80s, but I like to watch it now and again regardless.

I haven't seen "Mists of Avalon" but I'm never satisfied with Arthurian movies... well, except for "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

I think that The Mists of Avalon series could have been really good. But the execution was just so bad! Maybe if they had given it to some one from the BBC like Andrew Davies, it would have been better. His adaptations/series are pretty good.

Some lesser known fun fantasy films:

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium -- a magical toyshop, just lots of fun...

Enchanted -- The combination animation/live action musical about a would-be princess and her prince (and the Prince's Evil Stepmother Queen) visiting our world...

Darby O'Gill and the Little People -- a Disney classic from the 1950's, with special effects that are truly convincing (There's a bonus feature on my copy that tells about Walt's quest to convince everyone that the Leprechauns in the film were real!)

Bridge to Terabithia -- A film about imagination, love, and loss -- be prepared with some kleenex...

Finding Neverland -- The 'true life' tale of J. M. Barrie and the family of children who inspired him to write the play 'Peter Pan'.

Max Magician and the Legend of the Rings -- Low budget, kinda cheesy, but a whole lot of fun.

Fairy Tale: A True Story -- fictionalized account of the Cottington Faerie Photographs revealed during WW I.

Favorite Froud Book? All of them!

Re: To everyone and the film request

I know it's not out yet but i dont want to be rude, so i've got to mention a movie i'm really looking forward to which is The Hobbit - set to be released next year. I, too, am always seeking any info that can inspire me and also help me prepare for collage this September. (I'm doing a 2yr Art and Design course, (finally)).

Hello everyone, my name's Charlie and i've just joined the website as an official Froudian.

I'm 19 and live in the United Kingdom.

Not afraid to admit, i'd like to add the confession of my compulsively obsessing with the interaction between fantasy/reality realms and the meaning of life and everything else that goes into that endless expance which fits under the high spectrum of the Earth and Heavens.

Favorite Froud Book? still deciding on which ones to order

Well then, Charlie, you should fit right in here. :0)

Welcome to the group. Pull up a chair and stay awhile. Will look forward to your postings and comments!

~Dragonfly

WOW. Thanks for the reply Dragonfly. Not to be sarcastic - i didn't dare get my hopes up that anyone would reply. I hope i don't sound like an old-age pensioner, but i've never been part of a forum or anything else like this before. I'm kind of just starting out and now it seems to be going great - everything's working!

I wasn't feeling well yesterday and I was looking through my movies and I came across one that I had bought about a year ago but never watched! Frankly, I was skeptical. OMG it was fantastic! So, I had to share...

The Seeker

It has a great cast, a solid plot, good special effects, and even the ending didn't disappoint! I was really impressed! Here's a link for more info...

http://www.hollywood.com/search.aspx?q=the%20seeker&e=

Sincerely,
Dragonfly

oops...

Here's a better link...

http://www.hollywood.com/movie/The_Dark_Is_Rising/384007

Leave it to me, to put the wrong one up! HA HA HA!

Dragonfly

Oh, I see Bridge to Terabithia is mentioned - that is one film I always put on when I need a good old cry - is very therapeutic for that reason alone, and I haven't tired of watching the film yet.

I remember reading Bridge to Terabithia in school, it was recommended reading and I loved it so much I went out and bought the book after my class was done reading it. When the movie came out I HAD to see it, and I loved it...but of course, the book was better! (of course)

I love this thread, it reminds me of movies that I've seen loved and forgotten and movies that I've always meant to see but never quite get around to it.

I just saw the new Star Trek and really enjoyed it. I always enjoy things that explore the idea of time travel (in a sensible sort of way) and all the paradoxes that come up with the subject. I could entertain myself for hours just playing with that idea....

Ooh, Laiste, I haven't seen the new Star Trek yet, but I am so excited to!!! My guy and I are huge Sci-fi fans. I am newer to that arena than he is (not the movies, more like the shows) but have been pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy some of the series, like: Star Gate; Andromeda; Firefly - to name a few. That's not to say that I didn't explore this genre before I met him, but I think having been exposed a few years prior to sci-fi books helped me along.

Anyway, I agree with you, I could spend hours pondering the time/space travel ideas and the paradoxes that might result. btw, Another show I've come to love is Dr. Who - fantastic, funny drama! Anyway, sometimes I wish I had paid more attention in Science class and could be exploring (like in a ship I built) the stars myself. But I digress... LOL!

Much love,
Dragonfly

Hiya everyone- just thought i'd add a few to the list

1. Has anyone put up 'Secret of the Roan inish' yet? Its and irish film with Selkies in it

2. What about the movie adaptations of the Terry Pratchett books?
- The Hogfather
- The colour of Magic

there's also anything Hallmark orientated?
I loved their movie Jack and the Beanstalk: the real story - they used Henson puppetry and cgi as well i believe for that one.
-Other Hallmark films-
Arabian nights
Snow Queen- haven't seen that one but putting it up there anyway
- they did an interesting version of snow white
and alice in wonderland
-Gulliver's travels
-Merlin ( with Sam Neill)
-Magical legend of the leprechauns (roughly based on romeo and Juliet with a faerie twist

Also i thought i'd just throw hellboy one and 2 in there particularly no.2 because its the same directer as Pan's Labyrinth and i like the creatures he comes up with in the troll market (and the elves).

oh and there's also the Polar Bear King- loved that as a child.- oh there's too many to mention in the one go. I'll see if i can find some more!

I recently watched the film 'Logan's Run'. it's quite tacky the way they used scaled-down models for the scenery butold so i give them their jew. it's set in the future. people have to die at the youthful age of just thirty ( don't ask me why - i started watching it half way through ) and they escaped from their city which is closed off from the outside world in which they then travel through what to them is known as 'The Sanctuary'. Good film and good for inspiration.

Also what about tales from earthsea and my favourite: Laputa! I love that film it's so great :) Also another movie I love is Muppet Christmas Carol, it's the best adaptation of Dickens ever!

Charlie if you want some inspiration watch City of Lost Children. That's a very, very strange film but it inspires me!

what's city of lost children

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis