World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why is it...

that so-called friends, try to persuade me that my beliefs are false, and come across as trying to persuade me that their view is the only way, and when I challenge them on that, they say they are not, but their language dictates otherwise, such as using words like "bollocks" etc. Why can people not respect our differing views.

Re: Why is it...

Hmm..I wish I knew.
But I do know that sometimes we just have to accept that our friends are on a different path than we are. They might not be where you are yet, maybe they will get there thru watching your example of tolerance and compassion, then again maybe not. That might not be their lesson this time around.
Have patience with them. I always try to emulate Kwan Yin when I deal with my friends that are like that.
Take care!

One thing I've found is that trying to argue about faith and belief doesn't work. There will always be people who think that their path is the absolute Truth. Trying to convince them otherwise will only get you into a debate that cannot be won. Logical debate has no footing in matters of spirituality and deity.

What I usually do is tell them my beliefs if they really want to know. Then if they try to argue, I say something like, "This is just how I view things. If you view them differently, that's fine with me. You asked, I told you. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share something that is very sacred to me, just like your beliefs are very sacred to you. I respect your right to believe as you do just like I'm sure you respect my rights."

I may also talk to them about personal Truths. Everyone has things that are true to them. I find personal Truths in all different kinds of religions and spiritual paths.

Now if this person is a troll (either online or in person) or too far gone to be respectful, then I wouldn't waste any energy on them. There are jerks out there who want your power and energy, and this is a good way to get it.

But if they're reasonable, respectful people it is important to listen to their beliefs if they listen to yours. I usually try to find something in their belief system with which I agree or in which I find a personal Truth. Then, I'll talk to them about how that truth fits into my life and the way I believe.

I was raised LDS (aka Mormon). I live in Utah, which is mostly Mormon. My little brother is on a 2-year mission in Norway right now serving the Mormon church and teaching people about the Mormon faith. When I decided in junior high that this organization just wasn't for me, I met with some resistance, especially from kids my age. I was an outcast, and I hung out with other outcasts. We were bitter and confrontational and liked to poke logical holes in the teachings of the Mormon Church and Christianity in general. We were mean-spirited about it. Now that I'm an adult and have gone to a University where people have to co-exist with all different faiths, I have learned that respect, common ground, and honest conversation is very important. Now, I get along fine with people of all different spiritual paths. I am in a book club where I am the only non-Mormon. I am respected because I respect. Now, there are still those wackos out there who won't listen and will persist until you give in. A couple of years ago, there was this born-again fundamentalist Christian (his label, not mine) who was standing in the middle of campus telling everyone that they were going to hell and that they were evil if they didn't believe exactly how and what he believed. There was a big circle of people around him. Some were just observing, while others were trying to debate with him. It didn't work. It just went around and around in circles and made everyone more and more angry. I was one of those people observing, and I regret it. I didn't leave until I had to go to a class. All that day, I had anger inside of me. I had a bad energy in my body. I was bitter toward all sides for being so hateful. That night, unable to sleep, I thought about it and realized that their hate and anger had seeped into me. It was my fault I was feeling like this, not theirs, because I had stayed and absorbed their negativity. I knew the guy would be there the next day, so I took different routes to all of my classes. I was not going to contribute. Even though I hadn't said anything the day before, I did stand in that circle and feed the fire by giving it my attention. If there is no audience, there is no power. I felt so much better that day.

Wow. That was a long post! I told a few stories. I left some stuff kind of open-ended. I hope something I said in my disorganized ramblings can help someone on this board. If not, oh well. It helped me today.

Love and Blessings Always,
Cori

Thanks guys. Cori, that was what annoyed me most, is that the person in question did not seem to respect me and my beliefs, and I even put emphasis on the MY part of it. She is one of a group of friends, I have distanced myself from lately, due to them not hearing what I needed to do for myself, on a certain path I am currently on - they were trying to "fix" the problem, rather than allow the process to be the way I knew was best for me and my continuing journey .

Ah, so they do care about you. Either they're just very naïve and have only learned one way of helping people, or they have been somewhat blinded by a hunger for the power that comes with "fixing" someone else's problem. Either way, I think they do care about you, but are just not mature enough to be able to help you. And the best person to help you? YOU!

Cori

I think their ego gets in the way, but also, by trying to "fix" other people, means they don't have to look at their own lives.

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis