World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steampunk fairies?

I hope everyone is doing well.

Inspiration comes from the oddest places and at the oddest times, sometimes acting on it is good and sometimes not...

I've got an urge to make some steampunk inspired fae dolls. There were a fair number of wonderful steampunk outfits at Faerie Con last year so I know there is some overlap at least among the fans of each.

Is this a crazy idea?

Would steampunk fae dolls have mechanical wings? At least the wings we can see?

Bright blessings & faerie wishes to you all.

Favorite Froud Book? Good Fairies Bad Fairies

Re: Steampunk fairies?

umm please enlighten me...

what is a steampunk fairy?

Laiste, these are some of the steampunk costumes from last year's FaerieCon (and possibly the same people Sarah saw):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31426065@N02/2949210525/in/set-72157608125059737/

I'm not sure if these were the only folks dressed up this way or if they had wings. Personally, I imagine steampunk faeries to have wings that could look either mechanical or natural. Mechanical wings - really thin metal pieces forming the structure. Possibly DaVinci flying machine style or maybe something like the wings on Bubo the owl from "Clash of the Titans." If they were natural looking, I imagine something still very structured and clean lined, like a dragonfly or other insect's wings.

Thanks Nanny that helped a lot!

Sarah- I think dolls of that sort could be amazingly fun, funky and varied!
you could use all sorts of reclaimed materials (LOL dumpster diving has been coming up in my life repeatedly). I agree with Nanny on the wings.

Thank you both for your insight. I was beginning to think I had somehow offended, since I was getting views but no replies. But some threads I just don't have anything to contribute to, even when I'm reading them. So I guess I should just relax, and count on someone telling me if I do offend.

I've figured out how to make teeny weeny top hats and have a bunch of watch parts that I'm using as embelishments.

The wings I'm still working on. I have some that are stamped brass that I may use, but I really like the idea of wired structured wings - love the dragonfly image. I've got something to run with now.

I took the plunge and registered for a table for Fairie Con! If you are going please stop by and say hi, I'd love to put faces to names.

May the fae bless you,

Sarah

Sarah,

Like Laiste, I didn't know what a Steam(?) Fairy was, so I couldn't add anything or form an opinion. But now that I've seen what you mean, I Love it!!!

Have fun and I hope you'll share them with us when you're done!

Dragonfly

Dragonfly said to share...

The first one is done and loaded onto my etsy shop! She took about a week to make (doing little else all week). I have 2 more in progress and several more ideas for clothing others in the future.

Feel free to have a look.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21867629

I'd appreciate any feedback (positive or constructive) you might want to share.

Sarah D

Sarah,

She's awesome! I think that type will go over really well! Keep at it, I want to see more! :0)

Dragonfly

She is exquisite! the wings are my favorite, what a great idea! I think you will start a fad...

Hi Sarah
I clicked the link and what a suprise, It was toadstoolsntreestump shop on ETSY! We chatted a while ago on their forums and really liked each others stuff. I think you even said you would make a steampunk faery!

Hi Junkpunk,

It is a small world we live in. But all in all, I suppose it's not a total shock that we both found our way to the World of Froud - such a wonderful and inpsiring place this is.
See you in chat on etsy. :)

I'm not sure if she's fae or an angel, but I've loaded another doll in this series. There's some other new stuff as well, but I said I'd post these so here's the next one:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22345194

Let me know what you think - is she fae or an angel, is she steampunk or just odd?

Favorite Froud Book? Good faeries bad faeries

Steampunk..I think
and while she looks angelic but she could also be a "white lady" fae....LOL not much help am I?

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis