World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brian Froud Drawing DVD

Hi all.

For years, I have been dreaming of a Brian Froud instructional DVD, showing how he draws/paints/illustrates. Wouldn't that be a great gift of inspiration and techniques to the world?

For a taste of the possibilities, just watch the sequence where Froud draws, in the making of of The Dark Crystal movie. It's great to see the creatures come to life in just a few lines!

I'm sure it would become an instant best seller.
It could possibly beat the sales of any of his books.

It would be a great legacy to the worlds of visual arts.
An inspiration for beginners and experienced artists alike.

I've suggested this a few years ago, and don't remember much ripples from the fan community, so now I'm back, hoping there will be more interest.

If the Frouds see the interest, they might make it happen! After all, Wendy just did two DVD with Gnomon Workshop, so they have the right contacts.

Touching wood, asking the faeries for their help in this...

Spread the word!

Favorite Froud Book? The World of the Dark Crystal

Re: Brian Froud Drawing DVD

Even though this is their official forum, very little discussion about the Frouds and their work actually happens. It continues to puzzle me, and is the reason why I don't post here often...

Anyway.

I respectfully disagree with your suggestion.

Brian uses a combination of classical techniques that were drawn from a variety of inspirations. If you've studied painting, drawing, or art history AT ALL, it should be very easy to see what they are. What makes Brian more than the sum of his influences is his own particular genius, and I don't think you can teach that in a DVD... I think an attempt to do so would be reductive and cheapening of his work.

I suggest that a better way to learn from Brian would be for him to teach classes.

You can see him drawing on some of the dvd extras; those behind the scenes documentaires and things, on his movies. He basically seems to sit and draw what springs out of his head, so it would be hard to teach really. I would recommend just going to drawing classes (like me!- there's hope for anyone!) or getting regular figure drawing dvd's. You learn the basics then apply your imagination.

Wow.
So many views, and only two replies.

Am I detecting a lack of open-mindedness here?

If a technique can be taught in a class setting, it can be thought in a DVD. It's obviously not the same, since there is the interaction part missing, but I've learned a lot on DVD formats. Especially those from The Gnomon Workshop (analog section).

It would not be cheapening at all to Master Frouds's Art, if he taught his basic or even advanced methods.
I have studied painting, and art history. I can recognize many classical approaches when I look at the Dark Crystal DVD's making of. Yet, what i dream about is seeing how he does it, in his own way, his own steps and in what order. Seeing other people work is the oldest way of learning. Let's not pretend it's less than that.

What's valid for Wendy should also be just as valid for Brian, I think.

Remains to see if this is a project that he would like to do. I totally would respect his decision, should he decide not to do it.

Creaturiste ~
Re: so many views so few replies--I looked at this thread yesterday or the day before and since I'm not really an artist but more an art appreciator I didn't feel I had anything to add....
LOL and there is no lack of open mindedness on this board IMO....We all have our own (many coloured) opinions and I think we tend to respect others (different coloured) opinions.
But (I think) we all agree that the Froud's do amazing work...
That said...I think that a DVD like you mentioned might have some merit, but it would have to be done right (and so few things are done right today)....

Hey, Creaturiste. I'm all for the watch-and-learn method: cooking, home repair, art, etc. But - and I like to think I'm a relatively open minded person - I wouldn't want to see an instructional DVD either. Not because I don't think people couldn't learn from it, but because I feel it would take away some of the magic and mystery (tour?) of his amazing artwork. Personally, I like the thought of Brian going into his studio, where Froudian eyes can't go, and recreating the Fae. He did say that he doesn't create the faeries in his artwork, but tries to draw and paint what he sees from the Faerie realm.

An instructional dvd from Wendy seems different, given her medium. Almost everyone has picked up a pencil, crayon, paintbrush at some time in their lives and put it to paper or canvas. Working with polymer clay, forming armatures, creating clothes, etc. in a 3-D form could be strange territory to a lot of people, even seasoned painters. I went to school for art too, though mostly 2-D classes. When I started using polymer clay it was completely different from anything I'd done in school or for work.

If Brian ever decides to do such a dvd, I would definitely buy it. Out of respect, curiosity, support for his art. Still, seeing him work, I suspect I'd feel like I did as a child when I found out my older sister was eating the goodies left out for Santa. (She was on a diet then, so I wondered why Santa wanted granola bars.)

Have you seen "The Faery Faith?" It gives another glimpse of Brian drawing. What I would love to see is not an instructional dvd, but photos of his and Wendy's working spaces, to see what kind of environment they feel the most comfortable working is - where their art is given life. I know what the Devon landscape looks like from pictures, but I'd love to know what comforts, beautiful objects, atmosphere their studios lend to their work.
I'm a very private person when it comes to making art; I HATE having anyone watch me (only for 2-D art, not for clay). Personally, I'd rather have someone look at my work space than watch me draw or paint. It's possible Brian is very private about his methods. As faithful fans, I'm sure we'd all respect that.

In the meantime, the best way to learn his techniques might be to recreate his work - only for personal study, of course. Like students and artists copying the masterworks in museums.

Hi Laiste. I agree with you. Things should be done right.

In this day and age of fast and massive consumming, common sense seems to be not so commom at all.
Did you know makeing paper from trees has never made sense economically nor productively (most any other plants have better cellulose contents), yet we keep perpetuating it just because the system is in place?

But I totally trust the Frouds to do things theys et out to, and to do them right.

I would like to hear more of Brian Frouds' connection with Faery. From a YouTube video interview I've seen, he instinctively paints each faery the way they choose to come through to him. It's a connection he has with these real interdimensional Beings that comes through in his Art.

His physical painting skills are only a portion of it.

Favorite Froud Book? Fairy Oracle Cards

Part of me would love a peek at Brian Froud's working style, but as an artist I don't think I would want him giving away all of his secrets. I know it worked for Wendy, in fact we have her DVDs and I really enjoyed watching it and loved her guided meditation at the beginning of the first disc.

I agree with the posts about wanting to get a peek inside their studios. But studios can be very private places and I can understand not wanting to invite the world into the place where you find your inspiration and where you feel comfortable and the fae roam freely.

Brian shared his sketches with us and his finished work, beyond that I respect his decisions about what else he wants to share with the public.

Favorite Froud Book? Good Faerie Bad Faerie

Hmmmmmm... Don't know if I'd want to see an art instructional, but a DVD (or computer CD) with him doing one sketch start to finish, along with a complete retrospective of his works as a slide show/screensaver would DEFINITELY be on my "Buy it NOW!!!" list...

Favorite Froud Book? All of them!

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis