World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Songs for Somhain/Halloween?

I'm looking for some Faerie-inspired music for a Somhain/Halloween celebration. I have the FaerieCon cd which has some wonderful songs I could use, and lots of Loreena McKennit, but I'm always looking to expand. Any ideas? Both my faerie and human friends friends love music, and I want to share!

Thanks everyone.

Re: Songs for Somhain/Halloween?

Hi Kuja,
I'm going to recommend the soundtrack from “Nightmare Before Christmas”, also, the “Hearse Song - The Worms Crawl In, The Worms Crawl Out” - (I believe there is a remake of this song by The Who – sung by Keith Moon) and probably "Buthole Surfers" - who are known for their black humor, a sound that incorporates elements of punk rock, psychedelia, heavy metal, noise rock, and electronica.

Hope you find something in all of it.
-Liz Chernov

Favorite Froud Book? Runes of Elfland

Omnia, Dead Can Dance, Afro Celt Sound System

The folk rock band Steeleye Span has some great songs that specifically mention faerie: Elf Child, 700 Elves, Thomas the Rhymer. They also have other great songs that might be Halloween appropriate.

I'm not sure if you're looking for just Faery-ish music or something dark, but those are some of my suggestions. The soundtracks from "Legend" or "Labyrinth" might be fun. Two of my friends threw a fantasy Halloween party last year and I put some of the above music on a mix cd for it. They also used the FaerieCon cd.

Ok..this is totally out of left field but I always love playing Oingo Boingo on Halloween...not very fae like but...what can I say?

Yes Liz, I got the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack, even the Nightmare Revisited one. I do thank you for your suggestions and I think they're great. I'm looking also for some slightly more "serious" songs? I have yet to check out some of the other bands mentioned besides Oingo Boingo who, by the way, the lead singer is Danny Elfman, Jack Skellington's singing voice if I remember correctly! I'll certainly keep the other ones in mind for a fun-time party! Thanks a bunch!

This may sound a bit weird, but there are plenty Celtic folk metal bands that you could maybe look into? Waylander have one called To Dine in the Otherworld which may suit and there are bands like Annwn and especially Northern Oak, but I will warn you they are quite heavy, and the vocals are not to everyone's taste. Failing that, there is a symphonic heavy metal band called Nightwish who have some faerie/fantasy-inspired songs. At least they might offer some inspiration.

Or there's always Jethro Tull. But I can't think of any traditional Scottish tunes (apart from a few traditional rhymes), but if you can track down a Scottish poet called Violet Jacob, reciting the Kelpie or the Rowan is sure to be a hit! :D

Favorite Froud Book? Faeries or the Goblin Companion

Hi Kuja! I just had the thought that some of the Midaevil babes music might be the flavour you are looking for...
and yes Danny Elfman is in Oingo Boingo...I love Danny Elfman...
you might want to check out some other TIm Burton movie soundtracks too...
Maybe Sweeney Todd?

Yes, yes! I am certainly looking for some heavier stuff, too! Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions, and now that the season is much closer, keep those suggestions coming! Certainly I am not the only one looking for more music. It is the one thing I love to share the most!

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis