World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need help tracking down a particular style of puppet

Hi all,

I never knew there was a Froud Forum, or else I would have been here loooooong before this!

Onyhoo, I have a strange request. This weekend i was working at a local eco-festival called the Big Tent in Fife, Scotland. There were several entertainers, two of which had these fantastic puppet get-ups that put me right in mind of the "junk Goblin" in Labyrinth, or Agnes as I believe it was called in the artbook. Basically the puppeteer stands upright in this suit that is essentially a HUGE "ruck-sack" on the back of a little goblin-like character. The head is operated by hand (like a traditional hand-puppet) along with an arm. I think the Skeksis were operated in a similar fashion too.

I just wanted to know if there was a particular name for htis style of puppet, as I wouldn't mind having a go building one myself at some point (massive feat since I've never actually tried my hand at puppet-making...), and I thought this might well be the place ot ask!

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful ; as we say in the frozen north "Ta very muckle!".

Cheers,

The Urisk

"By mony a bard in Celtic tongue,
Has Coir Nan Urisken been sung"

Favorite Froud Book? Faeries or the Goblin Companion

Re: Need help tracking down a particular style of puppet

I believe the style of puppet you describe is referred to as a "Full-Body Puppet", and is in some ways considered to also be a costume. At least, I've seen similar get-ups entered into costume contests at conventions.

Favorite Froud Book? All of them!

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis