World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should I give up trying to be an artist?

I've been trying for years, singing, dancing, drawing, whatever, and I get absolutely NO encouragement or reasons from people why I should continue. I don't want to just do it for myself, that gets nowhere. If I wanted to talk, sing, dance and draw for a brick wall I would have built one around myself. How am I supposed to get famous when I never get any feedback? Or any interest for that matter? I've even taken off all my videos where I"m singing, and some of my drawings because I'm disgusted by the lack of response or constructive criticism. And don't even get me started on Facebook...not one of my posts ever gets a response, or my videos, or my pictures. When my friends and family get dozens of them every day!Am I that boring? I know they see them, and I know they know I'm there. I feel like I'm back in high school where I"m invisible in the corner and nobody cares. I"m not going to jump up and down(cyberly or otherwise) and shout HEY, YOU MORONS! ARE YOU FRIGGIN BLIND??? I'M OVER HERE!!!!!!! I'd rather be told I'm a total loser that can't do anything right than be a big fat nothing. Rant over.

Re: Should I give up trying to be an artist?

Hi Kelli. Personally, I feel that by saying you want to be famous, you are in essence putting the energy out to universe of always wanting, never having. If you go by the law of attraction, you have to act as if you have it already. Also, I know you said you don't want to do it just for yourself, but all talents, whether dancing, singing, etc need to start from within. I know for myself when dancing, I feel most connected when I let go of what others will think, and just let myself feel the music and dance - the body becomes the instrument of the music.

I would say don't loose heart, but try to focus on the more immediate future, of how you can put that energy of suceeding out to the Universe.

Best of luck in pursuing your dreams.

Orna- you just said so much more eloquently what I was trying find to say to Kelli!
Thank you!

I have to admit you're right Orna, I shouldn't worry so much about projecting my will to the universe. That I should just do what I love without expecting to become the next Enya or Phoenix Rising for that matter.(yes, I love firespinning too) Right now I'm making Isis wings for dancing at a goth club I've recently started going to so the audience will have something interesting to look at, if I can get the guts to go out there. So I'm practicing with this video I found with a dance that fits the genre. Making the wings is more nerve wracking than the dance, because I messed up the first set. I made them too short at the top so now I have to go and buy more material, which is not cheap when it adds up. I also messed up by not cutting it into TWO semi circles. I only cut one and it didn't hang right. Ugh, I guess you only learn by trial and error, and includes dancing, singing, or costume making! But the important thing is I'm learning, right?;)

i think what's important is doing what makes you happy. i make jewelry and write stories, and i love it. that's why i do it. but i love sharing it, also. i completely understand where you're coming from. there's nothing worse than posting a story and getting one little response of "it's good."

but do what makes you happy. don't do what you think will make others happy if you don't enjoy it also. art should be fun. art is about expressing yourself. i hope one day that you get recognized for your art abilities. but even if you don't, know that you tried your best and had fun doing it.

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis