World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3 Oracle Questions

Greetings!

I'm working off the first Oracle book (which lists a different website for in the Resources section...but then, it was written ten years ago). I'm newly acquainted with this site, so first question: is this a general all-encompassing forum, or is there a separate forum for Oracle discussion?

Second, if Oracle matters DO go here:

--The easy question: if a card is sideways in a layout (such as in some of the Faery style readings), which way is right-side-up, which way upside-down? Or do you just have to decide on that before hand?

--At the beginning, before you are acquainted with who the faeries are, you choose your Message (selected facedown), then your Challenge (least appealing card) and Heart's Desire (most appealing)--but MacBeth says that everything else in the Oracle changes. What the faeries have to say to you at any given moment, the reading of any particular card...it all changes depending on where YOU are at a given time and according to the faeries themselves; it's all fluid. So do your Message, Challenge, and Heart's Desire change? If so, how often should they be reevaluated? By time period, or at life-changing events? And IF they should be reevaluated at all, how do you choose "what attracts you most/least" when you are influenced now by having become familiar with who all the fae are and what they typically signify? How can you do this without consciously choosing your own Challenge/Heart's Desire?

Last thing, an observation: In the section of Faery Challengers, MacBeth reads them in reverse as the same as upright, only worse, more extreme, exacerbated. The Faeries are here to help us by giving constructive criticism, yes, but aren't they also here to let us know when we get something right? What if a Challenger reversed is just saying, "Good job, you learned my lesson, you overcame my obstacle--congratulations!" ?

Re: 3 Oracle Questions

Hi! and Welcome!

I'm far from an expert but I'll take a chance at answering your questions. :)

1) afaik this is the only forum...when the Oracle first came out Jessica McBeth had a yahoo group for it, I never visited it, and I'm assuming it's gone. Could be wrong about that though. Most of the people that frequent this forum have the cards and have used them for awhile tho!

2) For sideways cards I always think clockwise...so if it's laying to the left (top side on the left) it's right side up...but that is just me...you should do whatever feels best for you!

3) Oh yes! Those change all the time. I'd qo thru and re evaluate whenever you feel like you've reached a new place of understanding. Mine might change from day to day...depending on what and who I'm dealing with.

Hope that helps you some! Feel free to ask any other questions you might have....

Re: 3 Oracle Questions

Specifically to your second question. If you are doing a layout that has a card crossing another and is sideways (like a Celtic layout where the second card is crossing the first - or the tree layout in the oracle) - this is always to be read as upright. This is true for both the Oracle and Tarot.

In time though you will find a groove and realize that as long as you have an expectation in mind as to how the layout works for you, then that's the way the cards will be laid. For instance, for the longest time I always read the cards in the "tree layout" from right to left. It still worked. Then one day I was reading the book (that always helps - lol) and realized that the middle card at the top of the tree is to be read last. I started doing that and the readings still came out with the info I needed.

In other words, it all works out. Just get comfortable with the cards and use the layouts the way that feels right for you and the rest will fall into place. :)

Sincerely,
Dragonfly

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis