World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gardening

anyone here garden/farm....im very interested in sustaining me and my eventual family on our home grown vegis/fruits and chicks and goats...well jsut wanderin if anyone else is having some sort of success with it :)....espesialy those living in OREGON!!.....what plants are most necisary for sustaing life best?? i think that is a good question to ask hehe

Favorite Froud Book? Faeries

Re: Gardening

Well, I'm in Idaho right next door and your soil over there is much better than ours. Everything is greener over there so you can grow pretty much anything you want! And in case you haven't noticed, there's plenty of rain too. I'm starting my own here. Gonna try for things I didn't do last year. I've had to add soil improvers like phosphate and nitrogen after doing a soil test(you might want to get a kit too...they have them at Walmart). You might also need lime to adjust the alkaline levels. I've just learned all this myself after trail and error with various things. I just prepared one of my veggie/fruit patches with the necessary dirt and transplanted my very fast growing, started-indoors lettuce and turnips. If they don't die by morning, I'll know they're going to make it. I have a whole roomful of herbs, flowers, vegetables and even strawberries that I don't dare take outside until at least next month. But the suckers are growing FAST! My morning glories are already a foot tall after just a couple of weeks and are climbing the windows. Everything but my moonflowers(maybe THAT's what I need the moonpills for;) and my manardas are bursting out of the little peat pots I put the seeds in. Now I have all this bushy green stuff I'm worried is going to get too crowded before it's warm enough to put them outside. I think I jumped the gun this year. I've been working like a dog cutting out old useless stuff from the yard (including a decades-old juniper that's taken over the front yard like the Blob) and putting in soil enhancers. I have a brush pile the size of a Volkswagon and it's going to be a huge pain to chop it all down so it's small enough to fit into the four garbage cans I have. I'll definately take a picture when the yard is transformed into the faerie paradise I'm planning it to be. My favorite already is the Red Garden that's going around my Japanese red maple. Manardas, phlox, astilbe, red gladiolas, red lilies and peonies. I'll have a fern, hosta and lily of the valley garden around my pine tree. Various things including white pamas gras in front of the house, my herb and veggie gardens on the side and back. A rose hedge in the back. Also other things in various places. That's the plan anyway. sorry this ended up being such an elaborate description, but when you mentioned gardening I got exited about my own project;) I wish I lived in Oregon too, because they have all those beautiful rhodedendron bushes. We don't have those here. The things people call "gardens" around here are sparse and consist of more rocks and bark than growing things. I'm going to show the neighborhood what a real garden looks like;)

HAH sounds like a beaty in the making, ill enjoy it if i get to see the picture of the finished project. I dont really have any short term projects at the moment, jsut reading as much as i can about gardening hehheh, but thanks for the description i enjoyed it :)sounds good

I luuuv to garden.There's something so satisfying about sticking your hands in sun-warmed earth. Some advice my mother taught me- plant squash and pumpkins in hills to catch water. Plant beans in a mound with corn so that they can grow up the stalk and the plants help each other. Compost piles add a lot of nutrients to soil,so you might want to try making one. Something I figured out on my own,never have your garden under a pine tree.The needles they shed make the soil too acidic.Anyways,good luck with your garden

haha yeah thanks, i love talking about gardening

Favorite Froud Book? Faeries

I don't garden because my backyard used to be a brickyard aand therefore i can't eat anything i grow . But i reckomend (spear)mint and lemonbalm they're easy to grow and make exellent tea leaves.

Aurumleaf,why don't you have a potted garden? You couldn't grow any large crops,but you could have herbs or peas or tomatos and you could still eat tthem.

Favorite Froud Book? Goblins

Good idea. I like gardening but my body doesn't (stupid allergies)

Yeah, my mum has a potted garden but it's annoying to have to buy soil and such.

I've grown upwith fresh peas, beans, lettuce, cucumbers, zuchinis, herbs, everything. Last summer I finally started gardening myself though. I reccomend thyme. Its a great filler plant for bare spots, its hard to kill, and mine is prolific. Besides, its a nice additive to teas or even ice water, and makes a good seasoning for everything.

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis