Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Report Card

Well that was the season that was. How did you think we performed over the season?

Players B+
Seasoned pros , such as Ally Mitchell and Scott Crabbe were brought in to add experience when the going got tough. Both failed to make any impact with only a few appearances. On the plus side, some of the gambles from the junior and amateur ranks really paid off in Tam Courts and Jay Smart. Kept is in it all through the 40 punishing game season.

Manager B
Hard to fully gauge this one. Yes he was heavily backed, but no more than some other managers in the Division. Ask Montrose and Stenhousemuir. How many of the players in were his choice? Had to keep a big squad happy with out a reserve team to play them in. Had to play bounce games on Mondays to the detriment of planning and fitness. During the slump, also had to put players out to junior clubs. Pulled the teamn through the bad spell and got us to the play off finals. Finishing 4th was dissapointing after the start we had made but we were only 3 points off 2nd.

Board A
Broony oot, nuff said. Big investment on the park but also a big change off it as well. New lottery, new website, investment in the stadium, improved programme, better playing surface, investment in the Supporters Club...... All thought to be superfluous by last Chairman, but not by the current board.

Fans C+
Attendances were not what they should have been. Last time I looked at the standings, we were 3rd in the attendance league. That said, it was a very good year for the Supporters Club. Membership up, buses and Stars in your Eyes night were a few of the highlights. Mention also has to be made of the amount of money raised and donated by them. The Junior Supporters Club have also had a more visible presence, in terms of kids at the games this year. Sorry, don't know enough about the Trust to comment.

Overall B
Everyone keeps saying what a difference a year makes. Yes it is a very promising start, but that saying is also a bit on an excuse that we cannot use next year. Credit to everyone involved at the Club for making a very long season, a very exciting one.

Some clues as to where to g next can be gained from QP. On Wednesday, there were an army of suits sat behinds me. QP are run by committees (under 19s committee, under 17 committee etc). Whilst I hate committees, when they are run well, they are very effective. The protests showed that there are alot of people willing to help the Club. I think our biggest weakness is the fan base. The Levenmouth area has been starved of attention and success from the Club, so it is understandable that the Old Firm holds greater attraction. Iss there room for a group of fans to get together to look at this and try to turn the tide a bit? I think it would not be too much to get 800 at each home game next year?

In short, could do better, but the disruptive influence in class has been expelled.

Re: Report Card

Couldn't agree more with that except c+ for the manager. Yesterday was bad, but at the start of the season, would you have taken a play off final place? I would have, after the dross of the last few years

Your penultimate paragraph there DHAS is certainly worth looking at.

Would also give the manager a C+ as his tactics were found wanting a lot during the season and he seemed to really struggle to know what his best team was.

Having a big squad is not an excuse for this as any manager should be close enough to his squad to know this on the whole.

Agree that the lack of a reserve side has a big part to play in this though.

You are far too generous to the manager. The football we served up yesterday was abysmal. Remember the awful performance against Albion Rovers three weeks ago? A blip, we were told. Players had taken their foot off the gas. Saving themselves for the play-offs. Won't happen again.

In fact, the performance against Albion Rovers was a warning of what was to come. How quickly we forget. All of January and February were spent watching the same dross.

Cheers GOF. If there was enough interest from other people to help looking at ways of getting more bums on seats, then I would see about booking the lounge for a quick meeting sometime in the next couple of weeks.