Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
All Time East Fife XI - Left Back

Not had a chance to tot up the votes for the right back position as been out seeing Mogwai tonight.

Will remedy that tomorrow/today, so in the meantime, let's move onto that most problematic position in recent years, left back.

Who would you have tearing up the left wing?

REMEMBER, IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A PLAYER YOU'VE SEEN WHO GETS YOUR VOTE(S), IT'S WHO, FROM YOUR KNOWLEDGE, YOU FEEL DESERVES IT MOST.

There are two teams. Pre 1970's and post 1970. You can vote for ONE player for each team.

It's up to you which team you wish the player to qualify for. It may be that they made their debut in the 60's, so you vote for them in the pre 1970's team. They might have played more of their games in the 70's though, so you might vote them in the post 1970's team.

Your choice, but I personally prefer the latter option of what decade they played most of their games for the Club in.

You cannot vote for a player for both teams.

So who will fill the left back positions? It's not the position that instantly springs to mind, but we've had a few greats there over the years. The old style form of line up may also give a few headaches in this department.

Let us know your selections and you have till midnight on Saturday 19th May to get your votes in

Re: All Time East Fife XI - Left Back

Pre 70's

Sammy Stewart

Can only be Sammy Stewart week in week out he never failed against some of the best wingers in the country at that time.

pre 70s, Sammy Stewart

post 70s, Sir Richard Gibb

Pre 70's Sammy Stewart

Post 70's - Seen some good left backs over the past 37 years - McQuade, Gillies and Jenkins all come to mind but I'll go for Dave Beaton. At his best as a centre back but I've got other ideas for that position. Dave was one of the most skilful defenders we've ever had so he has to be in the team somewhere and he often played in this position anyway.

Fairly routine for me:

Sammy Stewart
Peter McQuade

Honourable mentions to Arthur McGachie, Don Emery, Dickie Gibb and Brian Jenkins...

Pre 70's

Sammy Stewart

Post 70's

A bit tougher this one, for me it is a straight shout between Sir Richard Of Gibb or Brian "Zico" Jenkins

No it has to be Zico i think he did it for us at a higher level than Dickie and in better teams, Dickie may have stood out cos he was usually good in usually shite teams.

Sammy Stewart and Brian Jenkins, there thats it!!!

No hang on what about that American guy we had Pittman he was an internationalist after all,

Nah fuck it....Sammy Stewart and Zico for me.

Sammy Stewart and Peter McQuade

Dickie Gibb for me

Brian 'Zico' Jenkins every time. He was one of the original wing-backs. He used to fly up and down the wing all day long. What an engine he had.

I`m only 17 coming up for 18 in couple months so hard to give somebody for pre 70s but from what ive heard and been told about players from then my vote for pre 70s would be:
Sammy Stewart
My vote for past 70s is:
Dickie Gibb
Remember he was left back when i started watchin the Fife.

Sammy Stewart and Bacardi Pete mcquade

Spent the time since posting this trying to think who to pick for my post 70 team.

Finally settled on Brian Jenkins (over Peter McQuade), with Sammy Stewart for the pre 1970's team.

Pre 1970
The immortal Sammy Stewart

Post 1970
Billy Gillies. Local lad, seven years at Bayview, good full back with a lethal shot. New Year's Day double to beat Raith Rovers 2-1 in the First Division. Jingle bells, jingle bells...

Peter McQuade. Shear class

Zico Jenkins & Sammy Stewart
Shonuff.

Sammy Stewart and Zico

John Gallacher the guy was pure class, don't really think he was appreciated by the masses the way that I appreciated him.

zico.

Chris Miller...

Pete McQuade!

I know its all about opinions and all entitled to our democratic choice etc etc etc

But Tam and Mikey

WTF

Chris Miller was class! What other left back would take 90 minutes of abuse without retaliating? It was shocking the pelters he got.

What about Euan Donaldson (1st spell)?

For pre-1970's, it simply has to be Sammy Stewart.
Signed, believe it or not, in 1938, the year we won the Scottish Cup - he didn't hang up his boots until 1961. Incredible!
For post 1970's, I'm torn between Peter McQuade and Dicky Gibb, but I think I'll go for Gibby just because I was on his Testimonial Committee!!

The legend of Sammy Stewart for the pre 70's.

Tough call for post 70's with the likes of Gibb, Jenkins, McQuade, but I'm going with Billy Gillies.

Re: Re: All Time East Fife XI - Left Back

mikey we have had some decent left backs at the club and i agree i thought euan and chris were decent players unfortunately i think when chris played a few fans would have had euan playing and didnt give chris the same support i thought chris was an excellant passer of the ball and created a lot of chances for others strange after he got sent off that he never played under moffat again and also that started an awful bad run in the league considering moffat tried so many players in that position??

Didn`t Don Emery end up with his own TV series?

Oh, you are awful ... but I like you.

Sammy Stewart and Peter McQuade
From the pre 70s I remember Morrison (possibly as Stewarts successor) as a really small,tough,put them up in the air player who has not had a mention.

Re: Re: All Time East Fife XI - Left Back

well said mikey i was disgusted at the treatment that miller got totally unjustified

Sammy Stewart

Steve Pittman just pipping Brian Jenkins for me.

The player we got from Dumfie,Williamson,looked good before his bad injury ended his carear.Tam Spence or Jim Scott fer me.

FAO Gof

BUMP!!!

Well SAMMY STEWART has walked into the pre 1970's team with a landslide. No surprise there really.

As for the post 1970 team, well we have a tie.

Eight players got votes, but PETER MCQUADE and BRIAN ZICO JENKINS both got six votes apiece.

What I'll do is keep this open till midnight Monday and if anyone who voted for another player than Brian and Peter would like to vote again, we'll count them in as well

McQuade

Peter McQuade

Peter McQuade

Thanks guys for deciding this.

So we now have as left back:

Pre 1970's: Sammy Stewart

Post 1970: Peter McQuade