Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
o/t world's worst fish supper?

looking for a truly awful fish supper? Then try the chippie in sandwell street. Absolutly mingin tiny bits o fish with chewy batter like it has been lying all night and the chips were lukewarm at best.
Is there anywher to get a decent fish supper nowadays in this area?

Re: o/t world's worst fish supper?

I got a chippie in Pilton, Edinburgh and there what looked like a horse hair through the jumbo sausage.

Chip shop up the Broom in Leven , serves a good supper.

I have had some wonderful fish suppers on my travels to away games,but the worst is nearest home that goes to ONE O ONE at methilbrae,it was just pure fish paste and batter,never again will I waste my money there,the best was at Dumfries but that was a good few years ago now,even anster one has gone down a bit in size.

Dali's in Guardbridge, or the chippy in Kennoway (not the one in Bishops Court) are two of the best I've been to.

"looking for a truly awful fish supper?"

Not really, no

I can also recommend Dali's. If going to the Broom, best to get the Icelandic Fish Supper.

Pie.

As a lad I used to get despatched to Bottone's (sp) in North Street, Leven for fish suppers.
He had a skelly eye I recall and moved to Shorehead a few years later.
Of course there is nothing to beat the Anster Chipper but how difficult can it be to do a decent deep fried haddock in batter given our location?

Toby's in Thornton still one of my faves.

Love the Pittenweem chippie. Way better than the over-rated Anster one IMO.

Valente's at Overton Road Kirkcaldy do an excellent fish supper.

Every time I have went there you had a wait, due to the many customers at the shop.

I could sure use a Red Pudding and a single fish right now.

Hopefully I will be able to come over later this year, and enjoy the above.

Have ti agree wi Gof.Eck Wise in Pittenweem diz a gid fish supper but Anster,fer what a kin remember(you'll no see a local staund fer twa oors ti get wan)iz gid anaw.Never tried the Gaurdbridge chippy,but av heard alot o folk say its really gid.Murreys wee chippy van,that tours aboot the toons o the neuk,iz gid anaw,un iz fether yist ti play fer the Fife.

The best 'Plaice' around used to be Athols Chippie on West High Street in Buckhynd. I remember every Friday night it used to be queued oot the door. Great banter anaw. Pitty its been shut fur years!

Seeing as 3 teams we will play next season are in Angus, I reckon the following are worth a try:-

Arbroath - Peppos (across from the Harbourmasters office)

Montrose - The Grove (10 minutes walk from Stinks Park)

Forfar - Franks (Dundee Road, Forfar) or the North Street chip shop which is just along from Station Park, you don't get very much though.

WTF!!! What about the Bervie chipper!!! One in Arbroath, and one 20mins drive up the road from Montrose in Inverbervie itself.

So good, Aberdeen under Fergie used to make detours to it when coming back from games.

Ah Sandwell Street chippy! It's always been shit there! Is 'Greasy Ali' still running the place?

K+K is the place to go!

The Bervie in Arbroath wasn't getting a very good write up according to people I work with.

Inverbervie, fair enough but after 5 pints, would you really want to drive up there for some fish n chips?

It's not that far from Montrose and I used to go for a drive to Anster for a fish supper, so why not if you're up there? Been to the one in Bervie loads of times, the one in Arbroath, I'll take your word on.

Is the deep sea on the Perth road still open in Dundee?

Is that not the Nethergate ?

Sandwell Street chippie is the pits.
The one near Kirkland is usually very good, K & K ??.
Englands used to be very good (Keith was an East Fife supporter) but think its under new ownership past year or 2.
The Anster chippie guy sold up and moved to Kinghorn High St - think its called the Fyin' Scotsman.

Think thats enough chippie info for 1 day though.

Gof & Enfifer - it's YEARS since I had a fish supper from Pittenweem, but it was certainly the best one around back in the 1970's.
Last time I went there it was closed and I assumed it had maybe gone out of business? That was a while back. Do they open normal hours including Sundays? I don't want to drive all the way up there to find it shut.
As for the Anster chippy - someone said the guy had sold up and moved to Kinghorn, but that must have been a while ago because Robert Smith (Hans) still owns it and has done for quite some time.
As for the other Anster chippys - the one in the middle of Shore Street isn't all that great, but the one at the west end opposite the bus shelter is pretty good. It was owned by Ian Fleming (Jeek's son) and as far as I know it still is.

Been in Jeek's Old Bake House for my fish tea a few times.Tasted great and had to tell them that they were undercharging me every time.

The Fryin' Scotsman in Kinghorn was opened by Colin Cromer who was a partner in the Anster chippie with Whyte, before he sold it and moved to Tenerife. Rumour has it The Frying Scotsman has been sold and Coco is opening a chippie in Glenrothes. Suppers are sure to be first class.

Hey Goony Murrays chippy van wis dayin' ok 'til Selly worked on it in ate awe the profits.

Have to ask Hoss and Enfifer if this is true, but a friend of mine from along the Neuk once let me into the secret, that all from along there are told from birth and told on pain of death never to reveal to any outsider…

That the Anster Fish Bar is actually shite and only for the tourists. The biggest kept secret in the Neuk is that best Fish teas are from Pittenweem!!!

There, the secrets out I’ll probably get lynched for this, I’ll never get to the Sea Queen Gala Day again.

Pie.

Pie man, why, why, why?????????

"Welcome to THE unofficial East Fife Football Club forum. Feel free to discuss East Fife, football in general, music, politics or anything else you want!"

anyone remember the eton restaurant in methil. friday lunchtimes queued for miles with thooosands o other khs kids for a half white supper. that was the best thing aboot going to kirkland.

Jim

The Pittenweem chippie is still open 7 days a week as far as I know. Opens at 5pm.

If we've been at Elie beach with the dog, it's a scrummy way to end the day out!

KK

I'd heard the same thing which was why I first headed along there and the chips are way better. Not as good a selection as Anster though. Sadly no lemon sole in breadcrumbs, but I can live without that (sometimes )

Pieman uses the same quotes as a certain Rover's boy..
Funny how a chippy thread get's loads of replies. Chippy's here are not too bad, you get Terehaki which is absolutely delicious, but I have been told it's actually shark.

NO BROON SAUCE AND NO PICKLED EGGS!!!!!!!!

Jim,Gofs right.Still open.Eck though takes a 2 week break at xmas.Maybe thats when you were along at it."Haunds" still hiz the Anster chippy.Think they put new friers in it last eer.Think that coco,who was in partnership with the Whites,has opened another chippy in Kinghorn.Know he doesn'y sty in Kircauldy onymare.If onybody sees um,tell um Goonys asking fer um .

Sorry Dyker,never seen yer post there.Ye kid bi right aboot Coco selling iz chippy.No seen iz sisters or fether ti ask thum fer a while.Iz fer "Selly",a didn'y kin he worked on the van.Jist iz weel,or a widn'y a went ti it.FAT CUNT that he iz!!!!!!!

Dae think Selly lasted too long. I pit on too much wecht.

Selly working on a chip van! That's on a par wi' King Herod working at Forth Park.

Anyway, havenae seen him for ages. Is the auld bugger still running the pool league?

If you boys see him, tell him ah'm asking for him.

The power of the forum. Certainly gave me a notion for a fish supper as I've been on a bit of a health kick recently so what the heck.
Gave the Pitenweem chippie a try the night and its superb. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Shuts on Mondays though Jim C.

Me too Jeff, although settled for Gary's in Glenrothes.

I blame this thread and watching Atul's Indian version on Great British Menu tonight for putting me in the mood!

Worst has to be "Ferdies" on Scoonie Road. I`m sure they have been using the same oil for years.

Kots,yell fund um waving a lollypop stick,honest,across fi bankie park when the skills come oot.Yid better hurry though ,as a hink he retires soon.Think he diz the Kleeneze cataloge unaw.Dyker o'll maybe see um affore me.Think he yist ti nearlly run um our every day!!!!!!!!!!He's still a big ,fat smelly c**t by the wy,but hes hermless.

Cheers, Enfifer. Retiring soon? He was 35 for fcuking donkey's years.

Tam - have to agree with you there. Ferdi's has to be the worst (and smallest) fish supper around.

Enfifer - wha's this fat laud ye're aye gaun on aboot?

they'r on about the one & only ian syme used to work at the dole office for years, has run the neuk darts & pool league for years.

I'm sure John Deas is just as fat!!!!!!

classic Forfar Fifer,but yid better hope Dyker dizn'y read it.Hiz neice iz gaun oot wi um!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Thats him St.Moan.
Jim a de kin much aboot um,but he yist ti work in the boat tavern fer years.

worst fish supper has to be paams fish fryer in forest path. give me koftas kebabs anytime tam lol

Haddie.....Yer tea`s oot!

Travel agent. The best chippie definitely was Atholls, at the top of West High Street. Awesome!! Him and his wife Sandra - top Banter!!

Atholls was magic! Remember one night going in before they closed and asked for a fish supper.You normally got 2 bits of fish,but they had 3 bits left and Atholl told his wife to give me the extra one.Cue me getting excited..then she went and dropped it.
Gutted!

Tam, who does the best bridge rolls as need some for spree as daughter gets married next week?