Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
All Time East Fife XI - Centre Half(s)

So we've nearly got there with the left back position, now it's time to pick our solid rocks in the middle of the defence.

So who will fill the centre half positions?

It's a bit different this week. Vote for TWO players for each team and the two players with the most votes will find their way into that team.

REMEMBER, IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A PLAYER YOU'VE SEEN WHO GETS YOUR VOTE(S), IT'S WHO, FROM YOUR KNOWLEDGE, YOU FEEL DESERVES IT MOST.

There are two teams. Pre 1970's and post 1970. You can vote for TWO players for each team.

It's up to you which team you wish the player to qualify for. It may be that they made their debut in the 60's, so you vote for them in the pre 1970's team. They might have played more of their games in the 70's though, so you might vote them in the post 1970's team.

Your choice, but I personally prefer the latter option of what decade they played most of their games for the Club in.

You cannot vote for a player for both teams.

Let us know your selections and you have till midnight on Saturday 26th May to get your votes in

Re: All Time East Fife XI - Centre Half(s)

Really difficult choice for the pre-seventies nomination, largely due to the formation adopted (ie 2-3-5).
I'm going to go for Willie Finlay, who played in all three of our League Cup winning teams.
The other position goes to Johnny Sneddon. Jimmy Walker was obviously the other major candidate for the role.
Post 1970 I'm giving my vote to Colin Methven. A local lad who, almost unbelievably, never missed a game in five years. Alongside him is the sublime, understated Jim McLaren. I would have loved to have seen these two playing together...

I have to say Angus I'm finding this a very difficult position to pick.

Def Jim McLaren for one of my choices, but that's bout as far as I've got so far.

For me it has to be Willie Finlay

Agree with Angusfifer....Colin Methven. Though John Martis would be up there too.

Colin Methven un Jim Mclaren.subbie centre half would bi Stuart Burgess.

Post 70's, I would ideally have Dave Clarke and Colin Methven, but as Clarkie is in at right back it will be Methven and either Stewart Burgess, John Martis, Dave Beaton or Jim McLaren. Tough, but Methven and Burgess it is.

Pre 70's Has to be Finlay with a wing half such as Jimmy Philp, Frank Christie or George Aitken. Finlay and Aitken.

Post 70's Methven and beaton

Post 70's only for me. This takes a lot of thought as we have had quite a few quality players in these positions. After a while I have narrowed down to 3. Stuart 'Rambo' Burgess, 'Slim' Jim Mclaren and 'A team of' Jonny Smart but since I am only allowed 2 choices I will have to go for Mclaren and Smart. Rambo will be my reserve in the event of a draw.

Post 70's - Methven and Burgess.

Finlay and Martis. no contest.

Pre 70's Alan Guild & Walter Borthwick
Post John Martis & Coil Methven

Finlay and Aitkrn - its a no brainer

Except Aitken was more of a midfielder...

But how do you fit an old style wing-half into a 4-3-3 formation?

John Martis & Jim McLaren for me.
Honourable mentions for Methven, Burgess (1st spell), Beaton, Smart.

Martis and McLaren

Of more recent times, the boy Beaton and Paul Mortimer deserve a vote each.

Pre-1970's:

Joe Gowdy, Northern Ireland internationalist who held the position for several years during the late 1920's and early 1930's. Was described as "Captain and Leader in every sense of the word".

Willie Finlay, part of the famous half-back line of Philp, Finlay and Aitken during the Halcyon days.

Post 1970's:

John Martis, wore the number 5 shirt throughout the club's three year spell back in the top flight during the early 1970's.

Dave Beaton, a great player and a regular at number five for almost five seasons in the 1990's.

Burgess or Beaton for me.

Davie Clarke was a sweeper when i first saw him, but as he's in at right back, I would have to go for post '70's Methven & Mclaren

Willie Finlay for pre 70's and the unflappable Jim McLaren for post 70's.

Just to remind everyone that you can vote for two players for each team this time

Finlay/Young and Martis/Beaton
Jake Young for no other reason than I remember some great wins with him as C.H. Seem to remember a double act with him and Dick Donnelly. Harmless ball comes through the middle, DD shouts "ma baw Jake" at which point JY fires a pass back into the net with DD's only movement a turn of the head as it flies past him.

Just thought I'd get this back to the top again - C'mon guys we need a few more votes !!

I go for Dave Beaton for the post-70's. Would also give a shout to Mikey Hall and Jonny Smart.

Jim Mclaren and Stuart Burgess closely followed by Smarty

Martis & McLaren.

Finlay/Aitken

Martis/Beaton

pre-70's Finlay & Aitken

Though I do think Angusfifer is correct and that Aitken was more of a midfielder in what would be regarded as today's formations, but I also think he would not get selected in our pre 70's midfield and that would be a disgrace for OUR MOST CAPPED PLAYER EVER!!!

Post 70's John Martis and "Slim" Jim McLaren

Pre 70's

Philip and Finlay

Post 70's

Burgess and McLaren

Afore the seventies = Finlay & Aitken

Efter the seventies = Methven & Mclaren

pre 70s - Finlay
post-70s - smart

Willie Finlay and George Aitken

Colin Methven and John Martis

Burgess and Mclaren

Left this open a wee bit longer than usual as the votes were still coming in.

So will add mine, close the topic then tally up the votes.

Pre 1970: Willie Finlay and George Aitken

Post 1970: Jim McLaren and John Martis

(got confused and had to re type mine! )

So all the votes are in and it's been a very hotly contested couple of positions.

For the Pre 1970 team, eight players got a shout but the two that soon started to run away with it were, WILLIE FINLAY in as first choice and GEORGE AITKEN in as second.

The post 1970 team was a very tight affair. Nine players nominated and the top three's votes being as solid as they played and as close as they man marked.

It's ended up though with JIM McLAREN in as first choice and JOHN MARTIS in there beside him, with Colin Methven just narrowly missing out.

So that's our defence all set.