Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Young star’s death stuns East Fife (The Courier)

PLAYERS AND officials at East Fife Football Club are struggling to come to terms with the tragic death of a promising young player killed in a car crash last week.

Alex Scougall (18) died in an accident in Midlothian on Friday evening—just days before he was to play in the biggest game of his fledgling career for the Methil team.

The teenager, who has played for Edina Hibs, Easthouses and captained Dunfermline Athletic’s youth side before joining the Fifers, has been a regular in the East Fife youth line-up and was aiming to break into the first team.

Alex had been due to play in the club’s Under-19 Youth League Cup final against Livingston yesterday, but the fixture was cancelled as a mark of respect for the player.

Youth coach Gary MacAlpine said everyone at the club had been stunned to hear of Alex’s death.

“He was a very likeable chap and football daft—his whole family love football and his younger brother is at Hibs and regularly came to watch Alex play,” he said.

“Alex just loved football and he was full of enthusiasm for the game. I’ve worked with him for a year now and he was one of those boys who just wanted to make it big.

“He was a great guy on and off the pitch and a bit of a character in the dressing room.

“It’s hard to say how all the boys are doing but obviously we’ve taken it very badly,” he added.

Club director Dave Marshall said everyone at the club was “shocked and saddened” by the tragedy.

“He was a quiet, unassuming young guy and he will be sorely missed,” he said.

“I haven’t seen much of the youth team this season as they have been training elsewhere, but everyone knew who Alex was.

“He was a promising midfielder and striker and certainly scored a few goals for the club.

“We are all shocked and saddened at the loss of this young life. All our thoughts are with his family at this time.”

The cup final, due to be played at King George V Park at Leven, has not yet been rescheduled.

Scottish League official David Thomson said, “This is a tragedy and we offer our condolences to Alex’s family and all who knew him.

“We quickly decided that the tie should be cancelled in such distressing circumstances.”

Messages of condolence have appeared on fans’ websites while youth players attending a fund-raising night at Bayview Stadium on Saturday night were said to be distraught at the news.

Stuart Cargill, another of the club’s youth players, said of his team-mate, “An absolute joy to play with and an even better person to be around—always smiling.

“I’m sure I speak for all the boys when I say he’ll be sadly missed and my thoughts go out to Mr and Mrs Scougall and the rest of the family.”

It is understood Alex lived with his parents in in the Gilmerton area of Edinburgh.