Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View From The Bay #4

Hi all, and thanks to GoF for doing ‘View #3’ in my absence. Had an amazing break, didn’t ever want it to end, but alas they needed the room, so me and my room-mate Paris had to leave early.

View From The Bay #4

So, have I got news for you? Well, no actually. It’s that desolate time when the old season is done and dusted and the new-season speculation hasn’t yet begun in earnest. We crave some morsel of occurrence to fill the void but there’s none. This is something that only happens in the close-season – actually that’s not true, it was like this right through the Derrick Broon years when the Club were about as forthcoming as the Portuguese Police at a news conference. But fear not. Before the month is out, our national side take to the field again with a warm-up match against Austria then a Euro Qualifier away to the Faroe Islands. So, er, that’s something to look forward to then.

**************************************************************************************

I do like a topical story. This one was topical about thirty years ago. Forgive me though as I was reminded of it just the other day, and it is a classic. The scene was the 1974 World Cup Finals back when West Germany was still West Germany and shorts were still short (unless you were Sepp Maier). During one match, the camera panned to the German bench. There sat the manager of the host nation, arms folded, knees at ten to two, wearing a pair of the said ‘short shorts’ while the commentator in all innocence asked rhetorically and wonderfully, “Is that Helmut Schoen?” !!!
It damn near was as well.

**************************************************************************************

Sky Telly have been loudly informing us all that this month they reach their 1000th live match. They’ve been less vocal however in letting us know whether this includes the Monday Night games that never quite finished due to some bloke in the Far East having the power switched off at half-time.

***************************************************************************************

Well, as we go to print, confirmation is reaching us of East Fife’s pre-season tour for 2007. Early reports have been clarified and we won’t after all be playing games
against David Trimble FC and Felicity Kendall. We’re in fact headed for a base in Lancaster from where we’ll play Trimpell FC and Kendal Town. Now, you might imagine Kendal to be a wee town full of places making and selling Mint Cake with very little else going on. Well, I have in fact been there before and…actually, that’s about right. On to Trimpell FC, and according to GoF’s guide, they are based in Morecambe. Some advice for travelling fans regarding this match then. Firstly, residents of the town have long-since ceased to find it amusing when tourists stop them in the street and announce that they’re looking for Eric. Oh yeah, and fans might be advised to take their own food to this one … drum roll … as there’s not as many Chinkies in Morecambe as there used to be (fnarr, fnarr).

The Undisputed