Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Shop in Waggon Road in Leven...

We're talking about 25-30 years ago mind. Was there a shop in Waggon Road between the Hut Shop and Windygates Road?
If so what was it called and what did it sell? I cannae mind of one, but King Kebab can...

Re: Shop in Waggon Road in Leven...

There was, canny remember what it was called, it was a general grocers on the north corner of Waggon Road and Dewar Drive, it's a house now.

It was called Robertsons was it not, used be owned by Eddie Robertson who turned it into a house rather than sell it to one of these people that have a lot of corner shops!

It was indeed called Robertson's. Along with Tait's, I used to go there for my Mars Bar rolls and my 'Bandit Biscuit and Ripple' rolls. In the latter case, that's a Bandit with half a ripple either side. It's a surprise I didn't end up the same size as King Kebab, come to think of it.

The shop was called Wilsons and the shop attached to it was called Goldielands.

Sorry,I meant the house attached to it was called Goldielands.

The shop was Robertsons, I lived in Dewar Drive and the shop was on the corner of Dewar Drive and Waggon Road.

Mr and Mrs Robertson retired and the shop became part of the house. I think they then moved to Burntisland. This would have been around maybe 1983ish

Later on, the house was actually owned by Bobby Wilson, at the time manager of Raith and Father of current Inverness Caley player, Barry Wilson.

I lived in Waggon Road about 1982 and I can't remember any shop apart from the Hut shop.

I recall that shop..Used to pass it everyday walking to Parkhill fae Beech Park... Robertsons rings a bell - but in truth no 100% certain....They used to sell Chinese matches.. remember them?? they were the berries... there wernae ideal though for lightin ma single bennie hennie!... I also remember buying ma tudor crisps there when they were givin those metal badge things as free gifts if you ate 40 bags and fired the packs in the post!

I think I can help here.

My wife was at Parkhill School with Margaret Wilson whose folks owned the shop. She started at Parkhill in 1952 so the shop could have been Wilsons but then sold on.

I suppose memories all depend on relevant dates.

To all you people who have slated me for being wrong, well..GIRUY! It WAS originally called WILSONS.

So how old are you really Tam???

This Thread is to good to let drop down the pages!!!

Who can tell me the name of the shop opposite Parkies Chip shop on Scoonie Road???

Technically it is on the corner of Haughgate Terrace and Haughgate Street and no I don't know the answer but I remember the shop!!!

One I do know the answer to is what was the name of the Tobacconists on Leven High Street it was where SupaSnaps is now!!!

I cannae mind any shop opposite Parkie's. Unless it has now been demolished.
Are you thinking of a newsagent? Was it Burt's or something like that?

No not demolished it's been converted into a house as well!!!

When I say opposite Parkies, I mean on the same side of Scoonie Road but just over Haughgate Street!!!

It was a newsagent then eh?
Was the owner (allegedly) fond of a tipple when behind the counter?

I cannae remember if it was a newsagents or not, it was definitely a small grocers though!!!

You're not thinking of Douglas's are you???

Cos it's not that!!!

Not Douglas's. Someone I was at school had a paper round with this shop. I was with Innes's.
Did you know I was first person in Leven to find out that Elvis had died?
Innes's opened at 6.45am, 15 minutes before any other paper shop. Because it was a Wednesday I needed to be there early as it was East Fife mail day. If you werenae there first you didnae get the big table in the bag of the shop to prepare the papers for your round and basically you were therefore fecked for time.
Front page of the record was a wee stop press type statement informing us that Elvis was wholemeal bread.
And not a lot of people know that...

They should put a little blue plaque up!!!

On this site AngusFifer became... etc, etc!!!

I was one of the funky kids whose paperound was with John Mingises!!!

Sandy Kinninmonth had a paperound with Parkies and Douglas's at the same time!!!

Think he tried to get one with Hastie's as well (remember them) but the Monopolies Commission got to him!!!

Bump

Just cos I don't want Tam to miss this thread when he's skiving just before his Lunch Break!!!

The shop in Scoonie Road across from Parkie's was McKays according to my maw.
I've got to say I can't remember it as McKays. I still think I mind of a shop called Burts...

The shop in question was owned by the Wilson's and finally the Robertson's

Aye but what about the one in Scoonie Road Rab?

This shop across the road from Parkies must have been a long time ago - I am 38 and cannot recall ever seeing a shop there so it must have disappeared by mid 70s??.

Your only 38 Stewart must have been a very tough paper round.

Ok so you werent a paper round but you must have HAD a tough paper round

Unfortunately I caanot recall the name of the shop that was opposite Parkies, but can affirm there was one there.

Does anyone out there rember Reedie's the bakers ??

They had one shop in the Back street and one on Durie street and the bake house was on Nairn steet, directly behind the Back Street shop.

On the way home from Methil Bowling Green dancing on an early Saturday morning would stop by the bake house for some hot rolls also at times stopped by Deas bakers for the same.

Deas the bakers was great for pies around midnight, only thing was it was only Friday nights, as none of their shops were open sunday they didnt bake on a saturday night.

Memory is not great but Methilhill dancing (Institute ?) started at 11-12 Friday night and finished 3.00 Saturday morning and walking home past the fire station you got brilliant hot pies etc at Lightbody's bakery

Angus Fifer said: "Did you know I was first person in Leven to find out that Elvis had died?
Innes's opened at 6.45am, 15 minutes before any other paper shop. Because it was a Wednesday I needed to be there early as it was East Fife mail day. If you werenae there first you didnae get the big table in the bag of the shop to prepare the papers for your round and basically you were therefore fecked for time.
Front page of the record was a wee stop press type statement informing us that Elvis was wholemeal bread.
And not a lot of people know that..."

Well, you may have been the first amongst your wee chums to know that Elvis was pan breid, but I can assure you the adult population knew late the previous evening. I can distinctly remember sitting at my future in-laws (sporting shoulder length hair, flares and tank-top) watching News at Ten on the Tuesday night when it was announced.

Newsagents shop in Sconie Drive was cried Hasties

That wasnt scoonie drive, it was scoonie road

And that was Scoonie Post Office, not the one across from Parkies!!!

Anyone remember what the clothes shop, next to the DSS on the Shorehead was called?
I`m sure it was owned by a husband and wife,with the man always dapper in his blazer.

Was it no Katie's or Kirsty's?

My wife tells me the clothes shop down at the Shorehead was Chrissies. She has a wee shop in Buckhaven before that before they knocked down all the miners house there.

Ooooohhhhhh this thread could just run and run!!!

Ok, what was the name of the tobacconists on Leven High Street, situated on what is now SupaSnaps???

I would be about 4 or 5 but I remember my Grandad taking me there as he used to pick up his made to order Turkish Hand-rolled!!!

It had a step down as you opened the door and I remember being facinated by the stuffed monkey in the window!!!

No i haven't been smoking any hand-rolled types of my own, but I do remember the name of the shop, perhaps somebody can confirm it and also the existence of the Monkey in the window!!!

Jim - Chrissie's is right - think I should get half a point though.

KK - how much is that monkey in the window?

I think the tobacconists was called Courts?

Courts is correctomondo!!!

As was the existence of the monkey in the window, as was confirmed by Kots at the game!!!

New one!!!

What was the name of the small grocers that was opposite where the Library is now on Leven High Street, though technically I think it is Durie Street and that the High Street actually starts at the Caley!!!

It was on the corner of the block and later became Magee's (sic) the bookies!!!

Remember it had lots of ornamental whisky mninatures in the window!!!

expecting a quick answer from Kots and AF!!!

Might have been Girwoods owned/managed by someone called Gray who lived upstairs.

At the risk of offending Chairmen everywhere I think it was Girdwood's, which I vaguely recollect was near Liptons.

Seem to remember it as an early version of a delicatessen. Amazing how things progress - there still isn't one in the area (?)

For some reason Moncrieffs rings a bell. I mind the shop well. Used to buy a slab of butter which they weighed for you...

It would not be Moncrieff's in Durie Street as I remember the only Montcrieff's was the electic shop down the high street next to Simpsons the butcher.

Does anyone remember the crocery store that was near
Mastersons jewellers also the butchers shop ?????????

And finally the two cocery stores at the shorehead, they were almost next to Visochi's chip shop????

Upstairs at Mastertons IS a crocery shop!!!

Just for you King Kebab the the crocery store in question that was next to Masterson ( not upstairs ) like you stated was the Buttercup or is this before your time????

That depends, can you remember the ironmongers at the Shorehead???

That is now The amusement arcade!!!

That was very easy it was Tammy Ure; I think that is how you spell it.

I bought a 10 speed bike there when I was a teenager.

Does anybody remember the shop that sold records at the bottom end of the High Street during the 1960s) that had a speaker above the shop window that played the latest chart music? You'll know where I mean KK !

Was it too early to be Bruce`s?

Aye, too early to be Bruces, which opened around 1974-ish.
Come to think of it, there was quite a few record shops (that's old fashioned CD's, kids! ) in Leven in the early 1970's.

Drennan`s was the best for badges though!

Drennans was superb, An old man and 2 old women...I use to spend hours in there. I still have a few LP which i bought out of drennans, they used to put the price on the back ...cut a sticky circle in half and hand write the price.
24 carat purple £2.49, Deep purple stormbringer £3.49, Frampton Come Alive £3.99.

These were the days .....Drennans would order you anything and there was a great anticipation waiting for it to arrive. They also had no problem putting on a few of tracks to help you make up your mind.

being a good customer, the 2 old dears would sometimes make you a cup of tea and always called you by you last name....Mr ....

Many Happy Memories of a mis spent youth.

ffs I feel very old now

I remember the two old dears very well too, mind you I was just a young teenager back then so the 'old dears' were probably only in their 40's!
What always amazed me was their sound knowledge of the latest music - not chart stuff, but albums and bands like Deep Purple, Led Zep etc. etc.

Before Drennans was a record shop I think it was a photographers shop. Either that or they were next door to each other?

What was great was that when they went through the back, it was like an Alladins Cave for thieving!!!
Also remember when John Menzies had the record shop upstairs and all the girls used to fancy the young boy that played some great tunes when worked on a Saturday.

That young boy, believe it or not was....ME!!!

Ah,happy days!

The shop you're thinking of Hoss would be George Walker & Co. which was a fine vinyl emporium in it's day!!!

Sure you will remember the two listening booths inside as well???

Remember Drennans very well, Old Mrs Drennan used to stay in Lemon Terrace and would pay you in 45's if you weeded her garden for her!!!

NEW ONE!!!

What was the name of the grocery shop on Links Road in Leven, right at the very end opposite the Thistle!!!

The last shop in Leven that had dispensing machines on the outside wall, slabs of Cadbury's Dairy Milk or Beech Nut, the choice was your's!!!

That would be Maws shop, remember it well!!

What was the name of the shop in Commercial Road that sold matchbox cars?

Was that Innes`?

No. Commerial Road, between the Post Office and Patersons' fruit and veg shop...

I know the one you mean, it was where the bricked up frontage is, of the shop that was Hutchison's.

Remember getting a Cowboy gun out of there which I think is still in my Dad's garage, bet it still works too, if only I could find some caps!!!

That's the one KK...

King Kebab, just read your David Niven gag on pie and bovril and have to say i think its hilarious.

The shop was Robertson's wasn't it???

Robertsons it was. Now. What about the shop that is now Oliver's International Hairstylists?
Used to sell ice blocks...

That wiz CAPITAL FROZEN FOODS christ ah mind a posing c**t that ran it

Angus, it shows you've been oot the toon for a wee while mate, it's not been Oliver's for about 3 or 4 years now!!!

I do remember the shop you are talking about cos I can remember when Oliver's first opened up and he had the wee shop between Paterson's Fruit Shop and Robertson's further down Commercial Road!!!

But your question is this, there was one more shop between Oliver's and Robertson's, what was it called and what did it sell???

Was it a tobacconists?

Incidentally, naebody has correctly answered the name of the ice block shop yet. Anyone who went to Parkhill in the 70's should have been very familiar with it...

No it wasn't a Tabaconists it sold very high value items!!!

I remember the shop your talking about but I can't remember the name!!!

Also I think you'll find that the Parkhill pupil shop of choice was the incredibly small grocers at the bottom of Nairn Street, where the counter was directly at the front door and you couldn't actually get into the shop proper you could only stand in this square yard of floor behind the entrance door!!!

Do you remember the name of that one???

Cannae mind the name but it sold bubble gum cards.
There was a rumour that the wifey was that fat and the shop that small that she couldnae get out...

The grocers in Nairn Street was Lawson's (no relation) her son was the guy with the gammy leg that sold the Sporting Post on Saturday night, think he aslo worked for Alexanders as he was always wandering about at the Shorehead bus stances.

The High value shop in Commercial Road was a Watchmaker/Jewler and I'm sure it was was Robertsons too (the daughter was in my year at Kirkland IIRC).

Here's another...Who was the Baker just down/or next door to Girwoods?

Anyone mind of JJ?
Tiny wee bloke of indeterminate age who wandered about the pubs in Leven clearing glasses. The customers used to bring him back novelty hats from their holidays.
He did a side job of walking folks dogs.
I mind once looking out the window and seeing JJ, sporting a massive bright green top hat, all 3 foot 11 of him getting dragged along by a Great Dane...

Baker's shop near Girdwoods was Reedie's then Mason's

Does anybody remember Geordie Fag Packets Spar shop that used to be where the Silver Tassie is noo?

Aye, often staffed by his son Mitchell who you'll still find at home games in approximately seat I14, and at many away games also.

Name the shop that used to sell all of the toys? shorehead next to Barrons on the corner.. had a little close you walked into. quite a big shop.. Opposite the chippy...

Williamsons arcade?

my cousin worked there... great shop...

does anybody remember the wee wool shop in commercial road called mac farlanes i used to stay near commercial road but i cant remember all the shops

and also the wee shop at the bottom of the high street that used to sell fur coats i used stay along the doors from the owner of that shop

June - yer memory is pish, lay aff the blue sweeties

i am telling the truth here btw fearless

more like u need to lay the blue sweeties

They arn't triangular little blue sweeties are they???

Angus, the ice block shop on Commercial Road wasn't called MacColl's was it???

Sinclairs...

Talking about the Silver Tassie can you remember them selling nuclear brown ale in the mid eighties , we used to go their on a sunday after the pub football for a scoop , the stuff was potent.

I'm a bit younger than most, but was the Farmfoods/Peacocks building once a 'Prestos' or am I making things up?

yeah farmfoods was presto, i know i worked there for a while (dont tell anyone though)

Bumped for KK's benefit.

Bump

Combine please mods!!!

Anyone remember the wee sweetie/FAG shop next to Kirkland HS? Fags sold as singles Dobbies?

Yeah, that was Dobbies, right enough. It's a house now.

just remembered

reading this blog has made me remeber stuff Iv no thought ov for years ie-Nellie the bus conductress,Mr Peebles from the cinema -he ended up in the old folks home Parkdale and was always running to answer the staff phones thinking he was at his work still.The paperman who sold the papers along the high street-what was it he used to shout?and does anyone remember 'Karate Joe' who used to do his bruce lee moves on any available lamppost?he used to also be the first person every year to have his shorts on-usually around febuary : )

Re: just remembered

What aboot Pat Black and her dysfunctional family with tourettes. They were mental! And then there was Daft Dave wi the glasses. Took the piss oot him one day when I was wee laddie and he almost dislocated ma shoulder!!

Julie
reading this blog has made me remeber stuff Iv no thought ov for years ie-Nellie the bus conductress,Mr Peebles from the cinema -he ended up in the old folks home Parkdale and was always running to answer the staff phones thinking he was at his work still.The paperman who sold the papers along the high street-what was it he used to shout?and does anyone remember 'Karate Joe' who used to do his bruce lee moves on any available lamppost?he used to also be the first person every year to have his shorts on-usually around febuary : )

Was Mr Peebles the guy with the wig?
It's a good job the kids at the matinee didn't know that he shared the same name as the park keeper in the Wonderland Zoo.

Kings of Fife
Julie

Was Mr Peebles the guy with the wig?
It's a good job the kids at the matinee didn't know that he shared the same name as the park keeper in the Wonderland Zoo.

Wasn't that Mr Peevley?

Close enough for the Troxy Young Matinee Team.

and what about the pet shop that was in lower methil cani mind its name but remember the owner made a blue movie that was doing the rounds roond Leven n there was a cucumber involved somewhere!!!never seen it like wis a bit before my time but a mind aw the older folk laughn about it.I mind if ye went out the back ov the shop he would let ye sit on his donkey-Oooh er...

Ostler owned the pet shop(Reltso)

yes there was was converted back to a house
just 30 yards from windygates road
andy

Are Tom and Andy Robertson related to the Van Winkle family ?

Terry Lawrence
What aboot Pat Black and her dysfunctional family with tourettes. They were mental! And then there was Daft Dave wi the glasses. Took the piss oot him one day when I was wee laddie and he almost dislocated ma shoulder!!

Pat Blacks daughter,June was at the game on Saturday! I'm sure she dumped JimP to go out with Mars Man (remember him).......

Bump

The clothes shop at the Shoreheadwas indeed Chrissie's (Chris Black) . My wife worked there as a young school girl.

I worked on the message bikes at Thomsons on Bridge Street, now the washing machine shop, next to Drennans. I worked Saturdays and hurried up to finish and get to Bayview. The owners of the shop were both Miss Thomson (sisters) who were also Sunday School teachers at the Gospel Hall at Innerleven. That s how I got the job.

Remember Masseys the supermarket I think it became Templetons, where WH Smith is now and the big furniture shop where pound land is now. It had a big long entrance corridor to shelter in on a Saturday night when doing the High Street!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mum used to go to the Whist on a Saturday night in a hall at the back of Woolworths / Cummings

My brains starting to fry