Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FAO The person I spoke to after the Arbroath game

Sorry I didn't get your name yesterday!
As for your question about John Kilgannon - the only Kilgannon I can trace played only reserve matches for East Fife during the early 1950's. Must have been a reasonable player, though, to have been involved with East Fife during their halcyon days!
As far as I can make out, he played at outside-right in a 2-0 win over Hibs reserves at Bayview in the 'C' Division on 6th February 1954 and again a week later in a 1-0 defeat to Hearts reserves in the same competition at the same venue.
Next appearance was in a 1-1 draw with Brechin City (their first team, our reserves) in the 'C' Division League Cup on 20th February.
Unfortunately that's all I have about his time at Bayview.
Interestingly, I've found details of two John Kilgannon's who played during the 1950's for other teams, and wondered if one of them was the same person?
There was a John Kilgannon who signed for Hearts in October 1952 from Alva Albion and made one league appearance before moving on to Northampton Town the following May. He, like the John Kilgannon who played for East Fife reserves, was an outside-right. I can't trace where he went after Luton, but it's possible he didn't settle and returned north a year later to play briefly for East Fife?
Then other one (and less likely) joined Stenhousemuir from in 1955 and spent four seasons at Ochilview before moving south to Luton Town in 1959.
He returned north to Stirling Albion a year later then moved on to Ayr United and Dunfermline before finishing his senior career with St Johnstone in 1967.
Did you say he had a brother who played senior football?

Re: FAO The person I spoke to after the Arbroath game

Sorry - got a bit mixed up - the John Kilgannon who played one game for Hearts went south to Northampton and not Luton - that was the other John Kilgannon!

Make yer mind up man!

Many thanks Jim,

It is the same John Kilgannon that played for the Fife, Hearts and Northampton Town.

I have since found out that two of John's brothers were also professional players. Bill Kilgannon played for Celtic and James Kilgannon played for Stirling Albion and also for Berwick Rangers. James played in the famous Berwick Scottish Cup victory against Rangers in 1967.

The other John Kilgannon you refer to is a cousin of the John Kilgannon that played for the Fife.

A further connection is that Sean Kilgannon that played more recently for the Pars is a nephew of the John that played for us.

Bit of a footballing dynasty!

I stumbled on this thread by chance.

The Johnny Kilgannon who played for Dunfermline in the mid 1960s was transferred to St.Johnstone and was tragically killed in a car crash in February 1967 - his brother Jim (Third Lanark) was driving and was badly injured I believe - and I think he had to retire from playing.

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/player/johnkilgannon.htm

The Kilgannons were a well known footballing family from the Stirling area - cousins Bill, John and Jim were all senior players. As mentioned above, Jim was in the Berwick Rangers side that beat Glasgow Rangers in the famous 1967 cup shock.

There was a Willie Kilgannon transferred from Celtic to Third Lanark in the mid 1960s - presumably he was (as above) cousin of Jim, and they became teammates ?

There is a photo in the Scotsman archives of the John Kilgannon who was with Hearts.

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-061-927

Tom - I always assumed that Sean was one of this same Kilgannon clan - do you know how he is related to Johnny that was killed in the car accident ? If nephew, his dad would have been Jim whom was with Third Lanark ? Or another brother ?