Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The State Of Scottish Football

Last night's woeful performance by Scotland, coupled with the recent disasterous Europa League showings by Scottish Clubs has our game at an all time low on the international stage.

What's gone wrong? What's the way forward?

The State of the Nation is the subject of today's AFTN Blog.

Read AFTN's views on it all HERE and share your views in this thread.

Where do we go from here?

Re: The State Of Scottish Football

In 30 odd years of watching Scotland play, that result is up there with the 4-0 gubbing by Wales and the even bigger 5-0 gubbing by Portugal. Its not just the fact that we shipped 4 goals, its the manner in which we played.... no heart, no passion and no f****n idea. I think a complete shake up of the SFA, SPL and the whole of Scottish football is required and is in dire need of a new direction in which to go. Even if we were to miraculously win the next 2 games and qualify, would it be a good thing? Don't think so, paper over the cracks and get humiliated in SA and we would be on the 1st plane hame.

The french dismantled and started again in the early nineties. I'm not saying we could iwn the world cup in ten years, but we could at least qualify for one...

I thought we did dismantle under Vogts ? Bringing McFadden etc through and handing caps out like sweeties to folk like Kevin Kyle.

Honestly....

I would bring back Walter Smith, when he finally calls it a day at Ibrox and hands it over to McCoist, and try and get him to do again what he did last time, I can see what Burley is trying to do, but honestly we aren't good enough to do it with any results!!!

We need to get back to being hard to beat and then take it from there!!!

We dismantled under Vogts but didn't go anywhere. There was no remantling!

Is that like reharling???

I think it's like in the song...

Let's go fucking mantle,
Let's go fucking mantle,
Na na na na
Na na na na

We are a 2nd class football nation and have been for a number of years - the blame has got to start with those geriatrics who are members of the various bodies who apparently run our game - very few have played the game at any decent level therefore in this day and age they do not know what they are talking about - particularly how we can improve the Scottish game - okay someone will say what about Smithy - but he is only one man against the old boy brigade and is going to keep his head down - we need them all out and those who know how the game should be run - in.

What's people's views on league reconstruction?

I'd like to see some regional leagues. Either 2 or 4.

scottish footbal has been shafted over the past thirty years or so by the greedy tossers in the ess pee eel they have no thoughts about the future only what they can get in the short term,what's in it for me pal.The twats in the SFA and the SFL are lying down hoping they are going to get their tummy scrached by the "BIG BOYS"this will never cease to happen as long as the rest of the premier league hang on to the shirt tails of the OF and lie down and die when they want something to the detriment of Scottish Football the sooner they are away the better the game may become,hopefully.Anyway that is my opinion thanks for the time you have given me.

I don't know what is going on but I don't have a lot of confidence in Burley at all.

I was wearing my Scotland top tonight when I went training at the local gym. There are a number of people who wear Engerrland shirts to train in and I faced the inevitable sarcasm by showing the colours.

GoF
What's people's views on league reconstruction?

I'd like to see some regional leagues. Either 2 or 4.

I don't know about regional leagues. It wouldn't increase our crowds. If anything it would decrease them (the little we have left - and other teams' crowds). Half the beauty and attraction of lower league football is getting the train/car to the other side of the country to watch a meaningless game in March. Maybe regional leagues below the SFL with a pyramid structure - I'd be into that.

If the Old Firm fucked off, it would definitely help the game in Scotland. Not for the SPL's money pot, but teams could challenge for a title again. Hibs were getting their best crowds in years when they were winning the first division. Maybe a small fraction of Levenmouth Old Firm fans would come and watch East Fife (probably wishful thinking). I do think 'some' Old Firm fans would become disillusioned eventually somewhat if their teams went to play in England or some European league.

We all get slagged at our work/school/golf club etc etc for following 'that shite down the road' but can you imagine being an Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd etc fan ?? It must be shite. What have you got to play for year in-year out ? Maybe get to a final once in a blue moon and get a wee run in the Europa league. No wonder Calderwood left and Aberdeen's stadium is 40% full every week.

Get the Old Firm to f**k !!

I think one of the biggest problems is the influx of the overseas players. Defo need to get back to the 3 foreigner rule.

Problem is with European Law (free movement), you can't.