Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: Bygone Levenmouth

A decient night life down the street on a Sat night.I can remember the days when you would go down there and not be afraid of getting the shit kicked out of you at cloasing time by a lot of little Herberts

Windsor Charles
A decient night life down the street on a Sat night.I can remember the days when you would go down there and not be afraid of getting the shit kicked out of you at cloasing time by a lot of little Herberts

I thought peter pan aka coco and his bbc crew had stopped drinking in this country and were frequently in europe on cheap flights with there brand of ahem drunk fun

Any one remember the ironmongers at methil brae johnny visochis i think it was called.And did Intersport have 2 shops 1 at muriedge and 1 at sandwell street im sure shug greer was manager at 1 time.

I remember the 2 hovercraft down Buckhynd. Must've been the early 70's. Hundreds of kids all clamouring to get inside. The braes used to be epi-centre of the universe back then. Men poking with cleets for crabs in the rocks when the tide was out. Kids bricking jellyfish and sometimes octupus trapped in the tide pools. Kids all used to have fires down the beach too and chucked asbestos slates and aerosols into the flames. Mind of a dead whale washed up on the beach too along at Wemyss. Seemed to be there for months but probably just a memory trick like summers that were never ending sunshine for weeks on end.

The Sporting Post..RIP.

The East Fife Mail in broadsheet

Mostly Methil stuff I remember from the 70's.

Ernie McGarr working in the pools office on Wellesley Road.

Co-op opposite Bayview Park.

Thomsons grocer shop near the pools office, Wellesley Road. ( had a cat with either 3 legs or 1 eye....cant remember which! )

Stuarts the Baker opposite Methil Bowling Club with wee booths for sitting in.

Donaldsons(?) Electrical shop on Wellesley Road near Bayview which sold records.

Visocchis shop Wellesley Road near Barrie st.

AB&B Fruit yard opposite Kirkland High school.

Anderson potato merchant, ( Tawtie Tams ) Wellesley Road and a petrol station across the road.

Gordon Allan (?) Butchers near dock gates.

Pennywise near foot of Methil Brae

Pik & Save near old dock gates

Fisher Joiners at end of McDonald st.

Barrons electrical shop foot of Fisher st.

Old Methil Police office on Fisher st.

Sailors Rest club, lower Methil.

Bakers on Fisher st next to Beatties newsagent.

A shark swimmin in Methil docks watched by East Fife players before we got knocked out the Spring Cup by Clydebank in 1976!

Athols Chippie on west high street, mmmmmm lashings of vinegar and chippie sauce on a fish supper. ..........

what about papa gallo best ice cream van ever

There was Ogilvie's and Allan's ship repairers in Lower Methil near the entrance to the docks.
The Men's Boarding House in lower Methil
Also the Methil Coop had a butchers and grocery store in Leven High Street, opposite Simpson's the butcher.
The bookie shop in Forth Street near the Baptist church hall.

I see into the future but will look back once,The Wonder Store

Big Rab, was the men's boarding house in lower Methil called Cairngreig Mansions?

It was commonly known as the " MODEL " you could reach it from Aberhill by coming down the steps to it
Also it was not to far from Cooper's the junk man's yard, which was also in Lower Methil
Sorry i have been gone too long to remember the street names I just know where it used to be.
An old guy who I worked with on the pit head at the Wellesley, he used to live at the " Model "

The street at the bottom of the steps is called Toboggan Road.

In unrelated matters, there was a toboggonist's shop in Leven High Street next to MacVities Guest. King Kebab knows all about it.

Always knew it as Murray's lodging house. When we were wee if any of the residents were hanging around the door we would walk on the other side of the road because the story was that they dragged youngsters in and they were never seen again.

They could have done us all a favour

Before it was Englands chippie down Lower Methil going back about 40 years sure it was corstophines now after a few pints that was a fish supper.
Showing my age again

I've been reliably informed Del from the chippy is still alive BTW

OOPS!! Glad to hear it.

KotS
The street at the bottom of the steps is called Toboggan Road.

In unrelated matters, there was a toboggonist's shop in Leven High Street next to MacVities Guest. King Kebab knows all about it.

Is that the one that had a minky in the winday???

The Model Lodging House, later to become the Wonder Store furniture dept., was indeed known as the 'Cairngreig Mansion' and, sad Anorak that I am, I can tell you the exact story behind the name.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin . . . .

If you look on the opposite side of the road from the 'Model', you'll see there are three quite substantial stone built villas. Once upon a time, when there was little or no housing round about there, they were rather desireable places to live, and had nice views over the Forth. Proposals were then put forward to build a 'Model Lodging House' to accommodate the Navvies that were to be employed on the construction of the new docks.
The owners of the houses objected to the proposals, as they realised that not only was their view about to be blotted out, they would also have to put up with the drunken and rowdy behaviour from the navvies.
The objectors were Mr Cairns, Mr Greig, and the local minister who lived in the adjacent manse.
After a lengthy battle, the objection was eventually thrown out, and the builders of the Model lodging House cheekily named their new building the CAIRNGREIG MANSION after Mr Cairns, Mr Greig, and the Manse.

has any one seen ma wee coco with the powder on his nose l8tly miss him x x

What about the drinking wells that were down the beach.I bet if they were still there no one in their right mind would drink out them now

Tinsoldier
Big Rab the garage you refer to on Links Road was part of the fiat garage on Scoonie Road - Links Garage.My Dad worked there for 35 years.

my uncle worked there for 35yrs as well

I spent a year working "down by" (as the Links Road garage was referred to) in the early eighties.

kathy
Tinsoldier
Big Rab the garage you refer to on Links Road was part of the fiat garage on Scoonie Road - Links Garage.My Dad worked there for 35 years.

my uncle worked there for 35yrs as well

He did indeed.

Third division football ,lets hope that stays in the bygone days

You must have been rich Veiwpark Fifer, we either had to roll down the braes or slide down on a wee bit o cardboard. We still take the neices & nephews & grand bairns to the braes during the summer. There isnae a better place in the world.

Gordon Allan (?) Butchers near dock gates.
Undoubtedly the best butcher in Levenmouth, it was next to the Wonder store (by the way ...what a great name for a shop).
The shop was always pack and people used to come from all over. it saw off most shops in lower methil.

the drill hall posts remind me of my dad, he was in the artillery and stationed in leven in 1955/6. he often told me the story about the gun he looked after in the drill hall, and how i helped to paint it when i was 2 with some green paint they had left around whilst having a tea break, it had been polished ready for inspection the following day. we lived behind the drill hall in broominhow cottage and before that at lochleven villa on methil high street, sadly no longer there. can anyone remember when the army stopped using the drill hall, and what it has been used for since?

Development Watcher
Does anyone remember the Hovercraft's on buckhind beach just in front of the braes, where the bandstand and pool used to be??????

I've got a photo of that, can't remember why there was a hovercraft visiting Buckhaven but remember going to see it.

there was a an ironmongers in buckhind high street and along from that was Knox's and along at the end was the co-op

Anyone remember the dundee equitable at the bottom of fisher street for your baseball boots and across the road from it on the corner was a camping shop.

Nookie Bear
Anyone remember the dundee across the road from it on the corner was a camping shop.

Wasn't that where Liam and Hoss got their first manbags from???

As well as the drinking wells there were big shelters, one was across the road from the festival gardens. I had a few snogs there when I was a teenager, those were the days. Also mind the shows on the prom with the Waltzers, Dodgems, Speedway with motorbikes and horses. I always used the motorbikes so I could be a rocker for 5 minutes, great fun.

Does the name Ray/Rey Nicol mean anything to anyone? married to Grace Nicol stayed in Robin Crescent and played dominoes mainly in the Buck n Hind before sadly passing in 92.

Raith
... played dominoes mainly in the Buck n Hind before sadly passing in 92.

I think, in dominoes, they call it chapping.

Please note this is intended as a wee light-hearted comment and not meant to be disrespectful in any way. If it doesn't come across in the right way, I'm happy for it to be deleted.

In the summer time weather permiting and at a high tide there were rides on a motor boat that usually went out as far as the bouy that was located about a mile offshore from the shorehead pier, and back cost was about 1/6 in them days.

Big Rab
In the summer time weather permiting and at a high tide there were rides on a motor boat that usually went out as far as the bouy that was located about a mile offshore from the shorehead pier, and back cost was about 1/6 in them days.
A ride down Leven nowadays cost about the same

Bob Jolly's the barbers in buckhind,now he gave you a good bowl cut,Birrells the barbers next to buckhind primary,mcclenan's the hair dressers up fae the sport shop.

viewpark fifer
Bob Jolly's the barbers in buckhind,now he gave you a good bowl cut,Birrells the barbers next to buckhind primary,mcclenan's the hair dressers up fae the sport shop.

What about Montgomerys at the dock gates that was an apache not a barbers

You were physically assaulted during a "haircut" at Monty`s!!!

Tam
Big Rab

Ferdies is still there. Unfortunately the owner has just passed away.

Who's being telling porkies or did I see a ghost tonight

BrianL
Tam
Big Rab

Ferdies is still there. Unfortunately the owner has just passed away.

Who's being telling porkies or did I see a ghost tonight

Brian, I was badly misinformed!! I plan to purchase a bag of chips to show there was no malice intended...then again maybe not!!!

A Lucky Bag and a Pink Panther bar from Tammy tait's van on a friday night!!!

The big tree at Methil

King Kebab, Have you still got the Pink Panther wrapper? I sold a 1970's Freddo Bar wrapper on ebay a few weeks ago for £5.51, I'll give you a £1 for it, cash.

I used to get my Pink Panther bar on a Saturday night at a wee shop that used to be near the Medical Centre at Muiredge. Name of the shop, anyone

Charlie Niven's barbers shop in Wellesley Road. He used to be able to cut your hair wi a fag in his mouth that had 2" of ash and it never dropped!!
The Co-op grocery at Aberhill

Does anyone remember a guy who stayed in Taylor St Aberhill just before Janettas shop who moved house using his bike which I'm sure he balanced a wardrobe on. He also had the stair railings up to his flat 'decorated' with all sorts of sweetie papers crisp packets kids windmills etc. I was told he was a miner who had got a large payment for an accident but lived frugally shall we say.

See further up the thread, Stewart.

Used to collect fag packets as a kid and went through pub/club buckets on a sunday morning around lower Methil as the seamen frequnted the pubs/clubs in the 50's. An nae smart remarks regarding the "seamen" by the way.:)

Dockers club when u had to go down the tunnel to get into methil dock and turn sharp right and 100yards to get to it.

Innerleven hotel-Auld hoose next to Innerleven Hotel-Penang, already mentioned-The Goth [now Wellesley]Was like a public toilet then, all tiles, an no smart remarks on the Wellesley either:) The owners dog used to sit on the bar. I sold the Saturday post and went in there, to me it was a smoke filled heavin' place.

Away from pubs, The dog track and bing at searoad.
The concrete pillar boxes at swan brae and denwalk. The bandstand at memorial park
Goin for a shower at the wellesley pit on a sunday as denbeath homes didn't get baths until 1968 +-. 4 x pennies for a squirt of brylcreem out the machine.Don't need that now:)

Nans sweetie shop at the top of cowely street, it was her house with a wee counter she made to sell the sweeties.

Penny dainty.

There was another wee shop across from Denbeath primary, Davie Bennets. 1950's Jabba the Hut.

Jimmy the fish man walking round the raws at denbeath with a giant wheelbarrow filled with ice and fish. He dressed in yellow water proofs and wore a souwester, brilliant!

There was a one legged man that used to stand in the middle of the street and sing for money. What a voice. Injured during the war, i remember him being immaculately dressed in a suit and tie with the trouser leg of the missing leg neatly folded up. No benefits then. Eh!

Lonies the gift shop at the bus stop at top of swanbrae. Addies the butcher. "HAVE YOU GOT A SHEEPS HEAD?? NO, ITS JUST THE WAY A COMB MA HAIR"

There are so many more i'll be here all night.

Peter Dixons double decker that worked its way round the raws at denbeath which was full of fancy goods, what a vehicle that was. He used shout HHHAAARDDWWAAARREE BBBLLUUUEEE PPPAAARRAAAFFIINNN OOOIILLL. The whole street heard him.

The fruit and veg cart pulled with the horse. The stables were opposite denbeath guest house. Roddy MacKees i thnk was the name. When the horse shit, all the wifies would come out with their shovels and scoop it up for their garden [denbeath was once known as garden city] No smart remarks on that either ma friends.

Kick the can.

Buckhind Dancin. Seen The Stoics, later to become the sensational alex harvey band. Jonny johnstone and the band wagon. Christian doing Jesus Christ super star.

Lundin links disco.

Scouts hut at bottom of searoad.

The rope swing over starkies swamp

The bing at lower methil that we used to use for climbing.

Peter Andersons shop opposite denbeaths Forth street back windows. [wellesley road]

We used to go down the docks to collect fag packets.
"Milesy" was the dock cop and when he appeared we would scatter in case we got caught - a bit silly really because he lived within 200 yards of us all in Whyterose Terrace.
Also would go through the pub bins and collect bottle tops. If you took the cork insert out of the top you used it to fix the top to your jersey like a badge.
Sweetheart stout was a yellow top with a red heart on it.

Jees other chairman, ah forgot about the bottle tops. remanber the love pins?

KotS

Cannae see it?

I remember seeing Dene Ford and the Gaylords at the Buckhaven dancing, they later became known as The Marmalade. Once coming back from Holland I sat next to the bass player on the plane and he told me that they practiced in the hall up Methil Brae, the Kirkland end and stayed in lodgings at Mrs Reid's opposite the hall.

Stewart
KotS

Cannae see it?

Posts on Feb 27 at 6:04pm and Feb 28 at 9:22am are two that mention the guy.

Anyone remember the Beatstalkers playing anywhere in and around the Leven / Methil area?

Anyone remember the Hobbits who played local think one of them had a false leg.

Who remembers the punk legends Japs Eye?

What about The Ardennes?
Alex McKenzie, Frank Burns, Ian Elder & Brian Buist...I think.

My stag night ended in the Rio in krkcaldy watching The Hobbits and Nazareth. What a mess i was in, it wasn't called the physcadelic era for nothing.

I fondly remember the days when you had to be a "traveller" to get a pint on a Sunday.

Saw Thin Lizzy at the ice rink in Kdy many moons ago

The Beatstalkers were regulars at Buckhaven Institute,usually a Sunday night I think.
Methilhill dancing on a Friday night which didn't start until midnight and went on until 3.00 ???
Memory again but I think Del Shannon's "Kelly" was the grab.
Walking home past the fire station and stopping at Lightbody's for the first of the morning's hot pies.
I am getting all misty eyed !!

TOC you will probably remember this one as memorial park was one of your haunts , across from Methil Parish church where the new houses are now ,aorund the seventies the holy holy tent was pitched and preachers done sermons and then moved down to parkdale at leven

What about the band The Poets, Danny Murray from Kennoway was in the band for a wee while, he worked beside me at Balfours. As for The Beatstalkers you can get a cd with all their releases on it and there's one with The Poets as well. Great freakbeat from the sixties.

anybody remember how easy it was to catch the makerel espiecally when they were chasing the sile,now i don't think there much there to catch,you would always be assured of coming home with a bag full of them.

You still get the mackeral off the docks, usually in July. The ironmongers in Buckhaven was called Nicolls and sold everything including paraffin for the heaters. The stuff stank to high heaven. And Atholls chips were rotten. Always full of little bits and usually reheats.
Gordon allan had the best home made meat paste. Sturts the baker in Methil used to sell snowballs with chocolate and coconut on but ice cream in the middle.
What about Deas the bakers and their vanilla slices absolutey magic the more burnt they were the quicker they sold. And the Torton 10 times better than Stuarts.

What about the posters for home games that were plastered on the Bawbee Brig?
I managed to salvage one but still haven't got round to framing it some 35 years later.

My Leven/Methil born and bred uncles, great uncles, cousins and second cousins who used to go and vocally support East Fife week in week out.

Glory hunting b*stards now.

A glass of limeade
What about the posters for home games that were plastered on the Bawbee Brig?
I managed to salvage one but still haven't got round to framing it some 35 years later.

The club should do that again. How much is an A3 poster to print off (on a normal office/home printer)?

(Nice big Jim C photo of the black and gold)

Saturday 20th March 2010

Come and support Levenmouth's finest

YOUR TEAM!

Be part of the Crawford revolution.

East Fife v Stirling Albion
£13/£7 etc

Fuck the Rovers

(ok maybe that bit's too much)

i remember catching them of buckhind beach,was the building next to the band hall not a police station,aye atholls wisnae that good.

The Other Chairman
The Beatstalkers were regulars at Buckhaven Institute,usually a Sunday night I think.

The Beatstalkers stayed with us in the early 1960's when my mum ran a boarding house in Cellardyke. We must have been the only B&B in the east of Fife big enough for the band, manager and road crew!
They moved down to London not long after they stayed with us and were regulars in the Marquee, one of the most respected venues around at that time, where you could also see on a fairly regular basis bands like the Kinks and the Who. The Beatstalkers became very well acquainted with David Bowie, and Bowie not only wrote stuff for them, he sang with them for a brief spell too.
I'm still in contact with Beatstalkers bass player Alan Mair, who went on to play with The Only Ones in the 1980's. Alan wrote their classic 'Another Girl, Another Planet', which was used a couple of years ago on the Vodafone advert on TV.

Jim Corstorphine
The Other Chairman

The Beatstalkers stayed with us in the early 1960's when my mum ran a boarding house in Cellardyke. We must have been the only B&B in the east of Fife big enough for the band, manager and road crew!
They moved down to London not long after they stayed with us and were regulars in the Marquee, one of the most respected venues around at that time, where you could also see on a fairly regular basis bands like the Kinks and the Who. The Beatstalkers became very well acquainted with David Bowie, and Bowie not only wrote stuff for them, he sang with them for a brief spell too.
I'm still in contact with Beatstalkers bass player Alan Mair, who went on to play with The Only Ones in the 1980's. Alan wrote their classic 'Another Girl, Another Planet', which was used a couple of years ago on the Vodafone advert on TV.
The Beatstalkers may have stayed with you in the 60s but Jesus F**k in the 70s we couldn't get rid of you.You were staying at ours every weekend and unfortunately I am still in touch with you.

Robbie, what a way to speak about your friend. Why are you not watching Prog Rock Britannia?

By the way, who all went to the tin hut (Scout Hall) in Lundin Links. Great Saturday night discos there in the '70s. Fridays and Sundays were disco night at the Centre in Leven. When the drill hall had its make over and turned into The Centre Noel Edmonds did his Radio 1 show from there for the opening.

Betsy Boop
Robbie, what a way to speak about your friend. Why are you not watching Prog Rock Britannia?
Just a wee pop at my good friend and bro.Also yes I was watching the prog rock even tho it was on only a few weeks ago.

The boat tavern next to the old St Agathas primary school in Methil ,( now the fire station ) there was also a barbers called gold's next to the pub.

Re Betsy Boop, I went to the tin hut in Lundin Links and had my first date there in 1972 with my now wife, we've been together since then. Get yer hankies oot.

Did you have your Crombie coat and Sta Press trousers?

Betsy Boop
Did you have your Crombie coat and Sta Press trousers?

Oooh dear! Do we have AFTN's first paternity dispute?

No Angus, just reliving my young days as its quite boring what's on the television on a Saturday night.

Betsy Boop
No Angus, just reliving my young days as its quite boring what's on the television on a Saturday night.
Just remember your younger BIG brothers looking in

Surprised you can still read what's on here as your pal not compos mentis (can't string two words together)

Betsy Boop
Surprised you can still read what's on here as your pal not compos mentis (can't string two words together)[/quote He is a light weight compared to the DD

Re Betsy, No Crombie or Sta Prest as I was a long haired Hippie, I had an old Army jacket and Flared Loon Pants and used to drive along on my Lambretta scooter. I lived in Leven and my girlfriend lived in Lower Largo, now we both live in Leven.

The garage on near the Festival Garrdens was owned by Nichol (spelling?)Near Ferdinandi's was Parkison's fish and chips too. Across from Parki's was Chalmer's wee shop (in the mid 50s) Thorat's had thw Newsagent/Post Office at The Glen. I delivered papers for them. What about Carmichael's at the end of Victoria Road. Brown's the chippies near the level crossing @ Wagon road. Just heard the Silver Tasse is now toast.

Big Rab
I think there was a garage with the name of Harris opposite Paterson's fruit shop on Commercial Road,
They had one of the few taxis in Leven when I was growing up.

Also there was a garage on Links Road near the rear of the old Beach Hotel, now the Festivel Gardens

Hutchison's Electric Shop is it gone ????

Buchanan the chemist was on the High Street

I believe there was a ice cream shop on Scoonie Road named Ferdinandi's or some similar name

Mr Findlay was even before Mr Simon. We got in trouble for throwing dollops of mud Auld Simon.

did anyone remembar the good old days at old bayview membar chink thay would call him jesus

we used to call him the dug man n rumour amongst the bairns was he actually ate his dogs,he moved from the house in methil to one in lundin links-which he paid for in cash shortly before he died.The Stuarts (tinks) are pictured in the book never to return by sandy reid-theres even pics ov the old wifie wi the pram!
A remember a visit to the arcade was like what it would be for a bairn to go too Disneyland noo!

What book is that Julie?

East Dock bar

The hoists at the docks

Purple Cat

Wizard Cleaners

Bayview Bar

Bennys cafe on Kirkland Walk for fags

Methil Primary School

The paddling pool at Byron Park

The chip shop behind Old Bayview

The power station in Methil.

Silverburn

Letham glen

East Fife till a die
The power station in Methil.

Silverburn

Letham glen

To show how old I am - I remember the old power station - the one before the one that just got demolished. It was located very close to the new Bayview. It lay in ruins for many years but I think it got knocked down in late-70s.

Then there was Jeeks sweetie shop opposite the Innerleven Hotel and Moffats sweetie shop in Methil High St.

And steak pies from Gordon Allan the butcher. Never to be beaten.

its called never to return by sandy reid who was the old wife wi the fur coats sisters laddy.its a great but very sad read n talks about many local areas where the tinks camped,rthe sepentine in largo etc,n it has the most wonderful photies ov them wi the mum wi her pram n the guy wi the cowboy hat etc-takes ye right back!Leven library has a copy but its shut the noo

and what about the ice cream hut that was on the prom where ye could go n sit in n have a cone!
Also the Cleek in the golf vodca n coke for 50p
Coalmen getn the sacks filled up fae the lorry onto their backs-nae health n safety then!
playn chap door run fae one end ov casan tae the other
scabbie noarie-ye had ti sneak there tho cos we wer warned that a farmer with his horse n cart had tried to walk through it n wer never seen again cos it was bottomless!!! (Wooooo)

Rock at the Golf on a saturday afternoon( entry fee 50p)....and when a good band finished their set, the shout went up... 50p whoar's the band.

Last but least

Leven Junior Secondry School in Mitchel Street Leven

With teachers like Big Bob Armsrong, Miss Thomson,

Miss Whittet, Paddy Ireland, Jock Swinton and Hamilton

the Art teacher who always had a wee dram at lunch time.

Mr. Mackie the head master to name a few.

Just come across this twenty three years too late...Scabbie Nory and the bottomless swamp (is there really a tractor at the bottom?), The big pipe at the Dam, the tunnel in Starkie's Woods, The Floating head o' Buckhind, Big Johnnies Wee Johnnies, Drennans the record shop and The Auld Hoose on West High Street

You can leave Fife but it never leaves you.

I ask and I will ask again.."Did Woolworths at one time sell Bakery products?"

Also, who was in charge of the programme "bothy" on Kirkland Road?

Nookie Bear
Before it was Englands chippie down Lower Methil going back about 40 years sure it was corstophines now after a few pints that was a fish supper.
Showing my age again

The National bar lower methil, next to the chippie. As young boys our friday nights started there before a good night down the high street. We never did meet the so called lady of the night.

wheres the tunnel at starkies woods like?

Does anybdy mind ov the hairy catterpillar at the braes n also the wee puppet show machine at Johnnies,5p n u were hypnotised wi the characters on strings

the eton fish & chippy

Etons, with Dirty John and Shiela.

Used to buy my 10 Benson n Sledges there before going to Disco Grim in the Institute.

Hing on a wee minute. Who was Jessie Miller?

WHO WIS .. eh?. . what dae ye mean WHO wis Jessie Miller . .. dae ye no mind o' the price on the sole o' ma shoe in the National??? Aye,you mind ya dirty wee bug*er!!
Aye, and ah mind o' you AND ye nivver payeed me fur the extras!!!

Yes Davie used to stay in Mountfleurie,he went to Robert Gough Centre, one day he was down at Swintons the joiners where there was a bus parked up and he got in it and started it up and drove through Swintons window.Eddie Ramage was related to him Eddie stayed in Lawrie Terrace area.

Just re-read most of the posts on this thread and realised that a ghost must have sold me 20 Regal King Size last night. Del Porno is still alive, still cracking the jokes and trying to swindle you out of your change! He must be at least 125! Does anybody go there for a fish supper?

Re: Bygone Levenmouth - Even better fish and chips

even better fish n chips

My Granddad ( Alfie Visocchi) god rest his soul, owned Visocchis Chippy with his brother.Also had one in Kirkland walk too.!!!

You're families fish and chips are legendary mate I live at the other end of fife now and my mum and dad always talked about how good Visocchi's !

Re: Bygone Levenmouth - Even better fish and chips

Pizza!

Gloryhunter
The Floating head o' Buckhind,

WHAT???

Haggis roles by the old bus station

On behalf of Colliery Fifer
Haggis roles by the old bus station

Ah traditional Scottish Street Theatre, whatever happened to it???

i remember the beat stalkers well they played a lot at buckhind dancing.

Old Ferdie is still living don't know where that rumour came from old man del forno is still spitting in the fat too see if its hot enough lol

Yes I remember D&E shoes in methil high street I actually worked there for a year, it was good shoes and very cheap.

It was called the farm chippy

The Mccolls you met in Tasmania was not R & J MCColl from the Dairy in Lower Methil. They lived the rest of their lives in Fife. Their younger brother George McColl emigrated to Canada in 1954 and to Tasmania in 1958 to join their younger sister and her family who had come to Tasmania in 1956. I was one of them.

Was there not a sports shop called Jannettas or something similar,cause my dad used to take me there when he was buying fishing tackle.i think it was in the Methilhill area.

bide away fifer
Was there not a sports shop called Jannettas or something similar,cause my dad used to take me there when he was buying fishing tackle.i think it was in the Methilhill area.

Think that Jannettas or "THE SPORTS SHOP" was at the corner of Sandwell Street /Wellesley Road Buckhaven.

bide away fifer

I think I remember a shop called "Knox" in Institution Row, Methilhill selling clothes, sports gear and fishing tackle, I think they moved to Randolph Street when their shop got demolished along with old Pirney Street and Grieve Street. Caldwells in Main Street also sold fishing tackle for a while.

There used to be a sports shop on Leven High Street called Gansons, I think that how it was spelled.

It was on the corner of the High Street where the law office is now, for the old timers it was next to Douglas the Butcher's.

Realist
Jim Corstorphines Oxford bags platform shoes and sports jacket with wide lapels and last but not least his sholder length hair

Are you describing Old or New Levenmouth????

whatever happened to moses??

peter's hammer
Here's some o' the 1970's scooter boys in no particular order : Zeke Ramsay, Jim Burns, Gordon Downs, Davy Galloway, Jed Livingstone, Ali Thomson, Gordon Moncrieff, Ron Smith, Alan Love, Jimmy Love, Tony Kwiatkoski, Dave Donald, Fergie frae Lergie, Mike Harrison, Mike Berry, Bert Allan, Drew McGovern, Bill Kidd and his brother (cannae mind his first name), Eric Culbert, Jeff Marven, Rab Scotland, George McCue anybody mind o' any mare?

Not sure they were all scooter boys! Zeke Ramsay (with ginger hair I remember) and Gordon Downs were Jim Burns' pals, but while Jim had a Lambretta, I can't remember if they did. Never heard of the rest, Except Jeff Marven - he had a BSA scooter originally, then a Lambretta Li125 stripdown, then a Jet 200, but he was later than the scooter fashion in general. There was a guy called (something) Harrower with a limp, Ian Wilson, and Jim Bisset from Mountfleurie. Jim had the coolest Lambretta GT200 ever - covered in chrome, none of the silly lights and mirrors stuff though!

Of course Zeke Ramsay had a Lambretta, it was a green and orange stripped down machine. As for Gordon Downs, yes he had a Lambretta too, he sold his to the longhaired guy Jed Livingstone.

Polly the Pratt
Of course Zeke Ramsay had a Lambretta, it was a green and orange stripped down machine. As for Gordon Downs, yes he had a Lambretta too, he sold his to the longhaired guy Jed Livingstone.

Yes, a vague recollection of Zeke Ramsay having one now - I remember Zeke lived at the church end of Victoria Road. Don't recall Gordon Downs having one though. Memory fading fast!

No recollection of Jed Livingstone at all, by name or description. I have remembered though, the guy with the limp who had a Lambretta was JOCK Harrower.

Bert Impetigo

No recollection of Jed Livingstone at all, by name or description.

He's not changed, long haired ex postie who can still be seen strolling around Leven :)

Ali Thomson didn't have a scooter as far as I remember, IIRC he was one of the first in the area with a chopper motor bike though.

Davie Bruce was another scooter owner, I got a lift from him once after we both had finished doing an evening test for getting a Balfours apprenticeship.

BrianL
Bert Impetigo

He's not changed, long haired ex postie who can still be seen strolling around Leven :)

Ali Thomson didn't have a scooter as far as I remember, IIRC he was one of the first in the area with a chopper motor bike though.

Davie Bruce was another scooter owner, I got a lift from him once after we both had finished doing an evening test for getting a Balfours apprenticeship.

Don't remember Davie Bruce either..... I did remember some more scooter guys though, Brian Donaldson (Vespa 150) from (I think) Robertson Avenue, Harvey Rae from Addison Crescent (Lambretta GT200) and a third guy always with them whose real name escapes me, but known as "Frill" for some reason, and Jeff Marven's older brother, Jim, who had a Vespa 150.

Brian,phone us at 01333 420180, 68 High St Leven if you can find us.
And we will book you in for an appointment.
He aint had long hair for years and years and .....
MerviN

Specsavers
Brian,phone us at 01333 420180, 68 High St Leven if you can find us.
And we will book you in for an appointment.
He aint had long hair for years and years and .....
MerviN

PLM ain't as good as they used to be

A glass of limeade
That would be on the corner of Victoria Road and Anderson Street Rab. There was a public toilet directly across from the Post Office. If you kept walking towards Glenlyon Road you would have Arden House opposite the Commercial Road entrance to the GPO on your left, you would come to a shoe shop on your right (Buists?) then Verner's shop and dairy.
Swan Pond (which never had any water that I can ever remember) was now on your left. Can anyone mind what preceded the Centre? I've got a vague recollection that it was used for dog handling classes but couldn't be certain.
IT WAS THE T.A. DRILL HALL WITH THE ARMY AND R.A.F. CADET HUTS AT THE BACK

the centre in Leven was the black watch t.a. drill hall ,and there was army and r.a.f. cadet huts at the back when I was a boy with the army cadets, we also skated on the swans pond in the winter until we wid get chased

I remember Drennans...

Superb shop...with a couple of old biddies at the counter....

Bought Tangerine Dream - Rubycon in 1975 when it came out...

As she was putting it in a brown bag for me she remarked, "...not as good as Phaedra".....

I was gobsmacked...!

Chipper on Rose Terrace was Browns....

KotS
Chippie at Rose Terrace (along from the Hut Shop)
The railway line
Bon Accord juice place
Pleasureland
The old dole at the Shorehead
Houseproud
Pak Ho in Forth Street (btw Peter the waiter looks exactly the same age today as he did then)
Eddie Ramage (Daft Davie's uncle?) - in his own words - "away wi' the birds"

Trivia question: Can anyone remember the connection between two of those named in this thread, namely Daft Davie and Swinton the Joiners?

"The Lighthouse" nightclub in North Street, Circa 1984/85/86?... pitch black, neon lights, cocktails, plastic palm trees and choking on smoke fumes from the dry ice machine. Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Duran Duran. Ultravox. People body popping and break dancing... badly.. on a tiny dancefloor.

LAIRDY
the centre in Leven was the black watch t.a. drill hall ,and there was army and r.a.f. cadet huts at the back when I was a boy with the army cadets, we also skated on the swans pond in the winter until we wid get chased

No, not Black Watch, Royal Artillery - hence Leven having the "Gunners Club" etc. Didn't the drill hall have a weather vane in the shape of an RA Field Gun?

Lairdy was quite right the drill hall was shared by the Royal artillery TA and the Black Watch TA. There was indeed a weather vane in the shape of a field gun at one end of the building and another of a Rifle at the opposite end. The ATC and Army cadets were in huts behind the hall.

Jim Lad
Lairdy was quite right the drill hall was shared by the Royal artillery TA and the Black Watch TA. There was indeed a weather vane in the shape of a field gun at one end of the building and another of a Rifle at the opposite end. The ATC and Army cadets were in huts behind the hall.

Ah, better memory than my aging one!

I remember as a kid being taken to Leven to see this house quite near the promonade that's walls were all shells and there was a lot of parrots and other types of birds in the house yard,can anyone throw some light on this?

I believe this was called the Shell House, as well as birds , parrots etc., there was and old bus outline covered with shells.

The property was owned by the Boyd family ( please correct me if I have erred ) .

Been gone from Leven over 50 years, and still East Fife daft only team I have followed.

big rab
I believe this was called the Shell House, as well as birds , parrots etc., there was and old bus outline covered with shells.

The property was owned by the Boyd family ( please correct me if I have erred ) .

Been gone from Leven over 50 years, and still East Fife daft only team I have followed.

RAB. Was it not "The Buckie Hoose"

The Buckie Hoose it was, but the Shell House was its Sunday name. On postcards, in tourist brochures, and the like. Read all about it here:

http://outsider-environments.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/william-r-bisset-shell-house-leven.html

Who remembers Leven Rifle Club, not far from it?

Owned by a family called Bisset, not Boyd of course. Except they were not really Bisset either, their original family name being Gordon, in the 19th Century.

You can still see some of the shells on the wall of the garden where the house was built on the site

Aye, Dougie, the two auld dears at Drennans were amazing! Mind you, I'm saying auld dears, but I was only a teenager when I bought my records there, so they were probably only in their forties!
Had the same sort of experience when buying Hawkwind's live double album Space Ritual . . canny mind what the dialogue was but it was along similar lines. . they knew their stuff. BTW, Tangerine Dream . . ahh! Memories!! (and they say Nostalgia's not what it used to be (LOL)!!

I think they had monkeys in the Buckie Hoose as well. Dont think you had to apy to go in but gave a donation.

I remember Walkers and Drennen/Drenons record shops. The smaller cafe at the Shorehead where we used to buy a coke and get four straws. Rose the waitress was a great fave. Met her years later when she worked in the canteen kitchen at the VHK

Is this the Buckie House?

Sure looks like the Buckie House I knew in my younger years.

pete shelly
Is this the Buckie House?

Yup!

A bigger version

Yes, the smelly fox in the pen over the burn from the doos. And the baby goats eating the roses; thorns and all.

I REMEMBER THE MONKEY'S AND FOX IN THE BUCKIE HOUSE. TERRIBLE CONDITIONS WHEN YOU THINK BACK

..... and Mister Findlay was afore Mr Simon.

Anyone remember the Home Guard in Leven?(Originally the L D V)Look,Duck & Vanish

Both my grandad and my wife's grandad were in Leven Home Guard.
As far as I konw they spent most of their time playing cards.

What a great site and what memories. Thanks Jim for sending me the link. I think a lot of you are Balfour related the greatest company in the World I will never never forget the words of Major Mackie on our first day in the training room next to the iron bridge. He said "you are Balfour men and as such we are respected all over the world" and I can tell you he was right. Wha' like us gie few. Forget the aw deed bit.

LAIRDY

Lairdy you canny be the same lairdy fray tthe oot side squad at Balfours otherwise you must be 106. Any way the army cadets were square bashers where we where the fly boys in the ATC.

BrianL
Bert Impetigo

Come come Bert if you don't know who Jed was then I guess you failed the test to become one of the World's finest " A Balfour man" He is an icon worked in the machine shop stores supplying the tools to the craftsmen in the creation of the worlds finest rubber choppers spray driers and the world acclaimed Balco torque flow pump. Or what ever the hell they called it.

Balfourboy
Come come Bert if you don't know who Jed was then I guess you failed the test to become one of the World's finest " A Balfour man" He is an icon worked in the machine shop stores supplying the tools to the craftsmen in the creation of the worlds finest rubber choppers spray driers and the world acclaimed Balco torque flow pump. Or what ever the hell they called it.

LOL! My aging memory, I think, Balfourboy! Ah'd ken im if ah saw im ah expect!

Bert Impetigo
peter's hammer
Here's some o' the 1970's scooter boys in no particular order : Zeke Ramsay, Jim Burns, Gordon Downs, Davy Galloway, Jed Livingstone, Ali Thomson, Gordon Moncrieff, Ron Smith, Alan Love, Jimmy Love, Tony Kwiatkoski, Dave Donald, Fergie frae Lergie, Mike Harrison, Mike Berry, Bert Allan, Drew McGovern, Bill Kidd and his brother (cannae mind his first name), Eric Culbert, Jeff Marven, Rab Scotland, George McCue anybody mind o' any mare?

Not sure they were all scooter boys! Zeke Ramsay (with ginger hair I remember) and Gordon Downs were Jim Burns' pals, but while Jim had a Lambretta, I can't remember if they did. Never heard of the rest, Except Jeff Marven - he had a BSA scooter originally, then a Lambretta Li125 stripdown, then a Jet 200, but he was later than the scooter fashion in general. There was a guy called (something) Harrower with a limp, Ian Wilson, and Jim Bisset from Mountfleurie. Jim had the coolest Lambretta GT200 ever - covered in chrome, none of the silly lights and mirrors stuff though!

Come come Bert anyone who was anyone had in those glorious days had a Lambretta. Cannot for the life of me understand how Vespa is still alive and Lambretta is no more. Even an LD was better than a Vespa ( says he who has a vespa 150 hidden away in the garage) The same Jed Livingstone I think ended up with most of them. I can remember giving him a TV175 series 1 for free Christ its worth a fortune now. Hey Jed hope you kept it.

Hey Balfourboy, who are you? I think I got the TV 175 from Eric or Ian Westwood, is that you? I don't have it anymore as when I moved from Rose Terrace to Glebe Street I had to sell five Lambrettas as I didn't have space to keep them all. I kept my own stripped down Lammy which I sold just 3 years ago to Dave Donald.

Ali Thomson did have a Lambretta stripped down before the chopper bike, once he passed his test he bought the chopper which was a BSA 650 if I remember correctly? Wish I had taken more photos back then!!!

Deadly what a cheek Westwoods!, I gave you one of the rarest Lambrettas made a series I TV Jed,
but their was a Li as well. I bought 3 Lambrettas from those two Pittenweem skin heads A&N Broons but only wanted the one a slime line Li Registration AXA1A and gave the others to you. Now you have ruined a friendship.

Bleep the dog.
Ali Thomson did have a Lambretta stripped down before the chopper bike, once he passed his test he bought the chopper which was a BSA 650 if I remember correctly? Wish I had taken more photos back then!!!

You should have taken the pics Jed cos the memory leaves a little to be desired. Actually it may be representative of the area cos Bugsy Frazer suffers from the same thing and he stayed around the corner from you. Ali also was building a chopper with an Ariel square four power plant used to modify the frame on the night shift at mountflurie.

The Ariel Square four belonged to Andy Hutt who's dad owned Hutt's, the store that sold everything. I just checked your email and it is for Jim Burns, is it Mountfleurie JB? If so I tried to email you but they keep bouncing back, feel free to email me Jim and see what happens. As for you giving me a TV I really can't remember that at all!!!!! I met Bugsy about a year ago in Sainsburys it seems he's back here living in Buckhaven.

Well I never being, as a miserable scots bar steward I am devastated at the lock down on the memory. Deadly who has my series I TV? does this have the making of a Discovery history episode. ( hope it's better than the current fiasco with the Myanmar spitfires as a buff this story is driving me insane) Should I come back retrace my steps from the skin heads in Pittenween via Transit van to bygone Leven dropping of the contraband somewhere in the depths of god knows where. Only to find that this icon has been as scraped ? (after all what value had series 1in those days or now in fact ugly buggers )
Come Bert you have listed some of the usual culprits but think they might be a bit long in the tooth by then. Perhaps I should put a reward out for information received. Sadly from all those pics you sent me Jed what an abundance of TV fork's I can only surmise her fait has been sealed and you have not got the heart to tell me she has gone to The big Mod rally in the sky.

Come come now the greatest and only call to fame for bygone Leven in the late sixties and early seventies has to be the Osborne house and buchhaven dancing forget the rest. We can have some serious comments from these venues and era.

I am devastated at the lock down on memory. Who has my Series 1 TV. Should I come back and track it down like a discovery program Retracing my steps from the skin heads in Pittenween via Transit van thru the murky streets of old bygone Leven to god knows where. Jed from those pics you sent me all had TV forks and I can only remember a couple of Tv's in the area. Bert can you confirm the TV's were as scarce as hen teeth. I can only summize that you are scared to tell me she has gone to the big rally in the sky.

Sha bun
Then there was Jeeks sweetie shop opposite the Innerleven Hotel and Moffats sweetie shop in Methil High St.

Have been doing some family tree research and this came up on a google search. Gordon Allan was my great grandfather and lovely to see his shop remembered.

Jessie Miller fae buckhynd?

Some memories from (very) old Buckhaven:

The sea-water swimming pool
"Jacobs Ladder" steps at West High Street
- and the illegal bookie who operated in a run-down building there (no phone or electric - he had to go off on his bike to get the results!)
The horses in the Co-op stables
Tom Pearson the gym teacher
Football special trains going through Buckhaven to Methil
Foster's paper shop
Ally's chipper

Memory has packed in now!

Boab
Sha bun

Have been doing some family tree research and this came up on a google search. Gordon Allan was my great grandfather and lovely to see his shop remembered.

My late father-in-law Bob Hunter worked at Gordon Allan's as a message boy during the war, then served his apprenticeship there. He used to tell me about how butchers back in those days knew how to set out their window display, something he always said was lacking in later years. One of his favourite stories was how on a Saturday afternoon there seemed to be an abundance of sausages to sell before the shop closed, and they had to be sold as the shop would obviously be closed on the Sunday. Gordon Allan put a notice in the window to say the sausages had been reduced to clear - and the result was that nobody wanted to buy them as they suspected there was something up with the sausages (which there wasn't, he simply had a surplus!).
With time running out before the shop closed, Gordon simply changed the sign from "Reduced to Clear" to "Special Recipe" . . and cleared the lot!!

Trying to contact Gordon Allan the butcher
in Methil from a old friend and drinking partner
from the 1980's.Any info welcome.

Regards
Des Logan
Jersey

Peter's Hammer
I was his postman years ago when he lived on the Links Road in Leven, I know he moved away but I can't remember where, maybe Lundin Links?

THE CENTRE USED TO BE CALLED THE DRILL HALL BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS DRILLING THERE

WE USED TO GO DANCING THERE ON A SATURDAY NIGHT TO VARIOUS BANDS. OH THE JOYS OF THESE DAYS THIS WAS IN THE EARLY FIFTIES

Big Rab
Just thought of one more former business in Leven namely Mac Donalds garage it was in South Street behind Woolworths
Also was there no a chemist by the name of Wallace in the High Street ????.

YES THERE WAS A FEW DOORS FROM WHERE BUCHANAN'S IS NOW AND ACROSS
THE STREET FROM LOWS

the skull carved into the stone at letham glen-who even did that
?

what about the simple minds dance?

they tossed coins into a blanket that they carried arond baview football pitch for charity

What about the grocers shop on bridge street leven run by 2 little old ladies (Thomsons) where washing machine shop is now, used to have a job on a message bike with them!! Used to miss the first half hour at Bayview.

also Duries the builder on Wellesley road

Walkers on leven high street used to have a record booth where you could listen to records before buying them

Gospel hall innerleven where I was forced to go every sunday.

Memorial park bandstand

Dog track on Sea Road where police station is now

could go on froever

Duncan's the grocers shop at the top of West High Street, Buckhyne.

Christmas parties at the Institute run by the Co-op.

A previous post some time ago referred to the Store bakery van pulled by a horse. Seem to remember the driver's name was Bert Dunn.

Ferdinandis is now run by the Del Fornos and has been since the mid 70's.

Did Geordie Rodger not have a fish and chip shop in aberhill...across the road from Pete Horne's post office and General Store

Right to Kill
Ferdinandis is now run by the Del Fornos and has been since the mid 70's.

The pickled eggs and brown sauce quality rating please.

The pickled eggs are food of the Gods!!

HD
Did Geordie Rodger not have a fish and chip shop in aberhill...across the road from Pete Horne's post office and General Store

I think the chip shop was run by George "Dod" Gillies ? In the early/mid sixties he opened a cafe with a juke box in it next door to the chippie and it would be packed at the weekends.

Am surprised you can remember?

Tom
Duncan's the grocers shop at the top of West High Street, Buckhyne.

Christmas parties at the Institute run by the Co-op.

A previous post some time ago referred to the Store bakery van pulled by a horse. Seem to remember the driver's name was Bert Dunn.

my brother and i used to deliver milk and rolls with the co-op horse and cart around mountfleurie, scoonie and the broom. think it was around about 1965?.

Re Co-op horse and cart.

Yes definitely mid 1960's.

I remember it visiting my gran's street, Factory Road, Buckhyne, around that time.

Big competition among the other neighbours to get the horse droppings for manure

for their front gardens.

do u know were to get puppy rockwilders :)

no in the Oxford dictionary anyway. That's for sure

What are you talking about please???

The Leven Coop Bakery horse and cart were in Mountflurie in the 1950's

I lived in Mountflurie from 1952 to 1960 ( yes I am a young Fart )

Matt ( I believe ) was the man with the horse and cart.

One of our neighbours in Robertson Ave., Mountflurie had a Parrot who could

mimick the Bakery man's whistle, many a time people would come out for the

baker's cart only to discover the Parrot had fooled them again.

I do not know if Wlliamson's chipey van was ever mentioned here as it used

to go around Mountflurie.

Lastly any one rembember Joe I believe who was in charge of the Coop Van

this was long before the Coop shop was built, the van was situated across

from where the old Coop store was.

Also there was Gilmour the milk man, I used to work for him before going to

school, we had to fill the milk bottles before starting our rounds he was

situated at Scoonie Farm

Oh the good ole days!!!!

The store horse pulling the bakers van used to go round Mountfleurie well into the 60s too, Big Rab. Williamsons chippie ..... brings back memories! The converted old bus. I think they lived up the top of Mountfleurie someplace did they not?

Devil's Discipile
What are you talking about please???

1 2 3