Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: Bygone Levenmouth

the thread that refuses to die.

Getting boring now, YAWN!!!!

what about Maggie Murphy???I mind of that threat looming over us as kids if we wer misbehaving-did she no stay in kennoway supposedly?

Sorry am new to this but just thought a wid jist mention wan or two bits

What aboot the boats that were kept up the burn at leven, and The wee green hut that was mentiond in the forum somewhere was the leven Angling club Hoose. does anybody remember or know the Name Ted Fawlkner he had an auld boat up the burn and didae hae an engine and widnae ken what ti dae wi wan, He wid row oot ti the fishin spend awe day fishing and row back in again rain hail or snaw. The ither wan is the teli man he win go aboot shoutin teli evin teli a think he might have been disabled in that wis how he wid mak a penny, Ave got wan mare fir yi in that wid be the craft centre { that belonged ti the laird o Weymess } in it wis in the brickworks at Denbeath.

A hive wan or two mare

Craft centre at denbeath

Dairy Vale

Go as you please both at Buck hind and up Lethem Glen
Prefabs at buckhind and at the top of the sea roadie
Barons shop leven

What aboot the old mine a think wis at the back o Aberhill school.

Those were the days! Moffits newsagent , montgomeries the barbers, wonder store, Goralans butchers high st lower methil. Glue pot durie st methil. Copshop in durie st methil, futher along onto Suttie st across from hay cottage there was Mick Wards allotments! He used to dig it by hand himself! It was a massive area. methil docks was my play ground as I grew up! I remember Jimmy Taylor's grey artic trailers every where. Fishing for potlies with sewing thread we nicked from the wonder store!

Sha bun
East Dock bar

The hoists at the docks

Purple Cat

Wizard Cleaners

Bayview Bar

Bennys cafe on Kirkland Walk for fags

Methil Primary School

The paddling pool at Byron Park

The chip shop behind Old Bayview

I remember swinging on the ropes that hung from the hoists! playing in the old power station. Swimming in the docks from the age of 7 ish. . Mucking about on the coal wagons. Went to lower Methil primary school until the age of 9 ish. Enjoyed the pet shop seeing Snowy the parroit. Can't remember the palace when it was a cinema but remember it being a bingo! Few names from lower Methil durie st area i remember, the Cunninghams, the Taylors 'young Robert RIP was only 7', Staffords, Broons to name but a few.

Brought back a few memories of lower Methil - had a look on Google street view, and I'm amazed at how much it's changed. The Palace is gone (I remember going to see the Beatles "Help" there, and a James Bond film) and the old police station. New houses everywhere!

I thought I recalled a big set of wide steps going down to Lower Methil which I suppose must be the Waverley Steps from Whyte Rose Terrace to Toboggan Road, but they don't look like how I remembered them. Were there any other steps down to Lower Methil???

This might sound a bit outrageous, and please correct me if my memory is playing tricks on me,but I seem to recall Glenn Walker buying a round of drinks once,many many years ago.

Remember the horse and cart Coop bakery.
The beautiful train journey into Leven from Kirkaldy zig zagging over the river, to the lovely old white station with white picket fences.
The chip shop at the station.
The Social Security office at the Pierhead (the wooden hut), my father Jim worked there and his old boss George is now my neighbour.
The paddling pool at the Pavilion, it was at the end of the prom then.
The trampolines at the other side of the Pavilion with the Photo developer booth.
The Shell House on the front where I got my 1st pet white rabbit.
The most beautiful Monkey Puzzle tree outside the Library.
Scoonie Golf Course before it was tarted up.
Silverburn to go and see the donkeys.
Letham Glen Bandstand where my sister won the talent show in the 60's and her photo was in all the local Fife papers.
Many memories from the early 60's to the 90's when my father left to go to St Andrews.

Yes, my sister won at the Go As You Please and got her photo in the Leven Mail too. Her prize was a little transistor radio in a red leather case.

The one with the false leg was Tam Annan, drummer, who now plays with The Falcons

I remember the pitch and toss that went on in the woods at the top of the Boreland along the old tram lines.There was always someone on lookout at the entrance and someone further along.We kids used to have great fun creeping into the willow bushes that surrounded the ring and shout the police are coming.They grabbed their money and ran sometimes leaving a few pennies behind,that only worked a couple of times then we were chased as if our lives depended on it.Happy innocent days.

> The one with the false leg was Tam Annan, drummer, who now plays with The
> Falcons

Did he marry Lorraine Allen from Leven?

Regent Cinema closed until July due to lack of digital equipment because all new films are only released on digital.

Realist
Bon Accord which was Hutchison's before that,The Maybole supermarket, Maulles the hairdresser, theShorehead cafe with the florist next door then the ironmongery.
Ness the fish shop next to Woollies, Deas the bakers, Lachie Stewart and Girdwoods the grocers, TWBuchanan the chemist, National Bank on the corner of Bank Street, Cummings, the furniture ( and toy car) shop next to it.
Robinsons the florist, and the biggest of all, Cormies on the corner of South Street (I declare an interest here)
Attractions -- the Shell House, the Beach Pavilion and the Pierrots, the Jubilee Hall opposite Mitchell Street School. Car stairs golf shop at the Thistle Clubhouse. Maws shop on the corner of Links Road and Balfour Street (gobstoppers 1d)
The Fifers drawing with Rangers at Bayview

A lot of posts have mentioned Harris's garage in Commercial Street, Leven. I may be wrong but I think that the garage owner's son and daughter are avid East Fife supporters!!!!!!! Maybe if they come on here they can confirm

I used tae work in Douglas the butchers before going tae Tech in Kirkcaldy aboot 1958.

Daft Davie sinagogas cinnamon sticks the man wi the toupee at the troxy. Mars man. The pak ho chicken marylands the beer lorry at the steelworks brae the bull Stottin oot the tassie. Getting the tawse The flounder pool The broom chippy Brian the starter at the municipal The dcl club The strippers at the beach hotel on a Sunday so I was told I moved to hawick 25 years ago and I have been back up to fife since but reading this has made me laugh out loud daft Davie especially I can see him clear as day pushing the barrow

Cracking picture on the Official Site...

https://twitter.com/EastFifeFC/status/469913045264007168/photo/1

Aah the memories, I think it was only there and the Den, where you were able to get a bottle of Big 'T'!!!

Or running into the wee lounge next door to get any results that were crucial in ragard to the East Fife game that had just finished, this was pre-smartphone and not everybody took their tranny!!!

Would love something like that again at Bayview, won the jackpot out that puggy once, £100 in 50 pences! Nip across to the bookies for a cheeky wee bet and the pre match banter was great, couldn't even get a sniff at a pint last Sunday, Jimmy's is too wee. Be braw to have a decent pub down there, burger and pint, bit of banter and maybe a wee bookies for a pre match flutter.

The wee guy with the shuffle that shouted "Eeeeevnin Paaaaaaapperss". Alec?

Anybody remember the radio-controlled airplane show that took place every Summer in King George V Park?

Also remember hippie / student types doing a 'summer mission' type getogether for the local weans every day for 2 weeks in the Summer - Mornings were held in King George V Park and the afternoons were held beside the paddling pool next to Pleasureland.

Other's - The Beach Disco with Stu Turpie DJing (Before he went to Bentley's)

The Pavillion Discos in the above mentioned park.

Grasshopper
airplane show

Was it run by Merkins or do you really mean "aeroplane"?

Grasshopper
Anybody remember the radio-controlled airplane show that took place every Summer in King George V Park?

Also remember hippie / student types doing a 'summer mission' type getogether for the local weans every day for 2 weeks in the Summer - Mornings were held in King George V Park and the afternoons were held beside the paddling pool next to Pleasureland.

Other's - The Beach Disco with Stu Turpie DJing (Before he went to Bentley's)

The Pavillion Discos in the above mentioned park.

Yep, remember the model planes. And the summer mission at the park. If I mind right, the discos at the pavilion were on a Thursday night - Carl Douglas kung fu fighting was an in choon at the time.

The women's football tournie also took place in the park every summer.

No that was Geordie (Dod) Gillies who ran the fish and chip shop in Paterson Street

It as Dod Gillies who had the fish and chip shop next door to the Leven Co-op run by Mr Webster in Paterson Street Aberhill, then there was Lightbody's the bakers and Elsie Davidsons on the corner of Taylor street

It was George (Dod) Gillies who had the fish and chip shop in Paterson Street. He lived above the shop. In the same block was the Leven Coop run by Bob Webster then Lightbodies the baker then on the corner Elsie Davidson had a wee shop. Opposite was Peter Horne's dairy which was previously a shoe repair shop - I think Mr Pye. The there was the Methil Coop butcher shop.

That was my dad! .. Carlo Gallo x

aye bertie still going strong around new bus station

Actually Bertie died a few months ago sadly.

Aye I remember them well

Aye a remember them well, nice guys

I saw Bertie the other day

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Geo
I saw Bertie the other day

Where?

I find that hard to believe as Bertie died a couple of years ago???

I need to corect my earlier reply. Bertie actually died on 24th June 2014 so only just over a year ago.

Saw Bertie yesterday at the bus station

The Neptune Bar
After hours drinking in the Cale residents' bar
The Carousel run by David and Pearl Cook (They have a special place in my heart)
Innes's Book Shop and art supplies
The Silver Tassie - you could get a wonderful Pimms complete with fruit salad - if Alistair was in the mood
Mathieson's Shoe Shop and it's after hours painting club with the Mays (Paton and Hoggan)
Mann's wool and hat shop
Robertson's Paper Shop
John Menzies upstairs record shop for prog rock and of course Drennan's with the two very hep old ladies who stopped speaking to me after I bought Never mind the Bollocks!
The foxes in the Glen
The seaside missions at Scoonie Kirk
The cheese-cutter and maypole at the paddling pool (both teeming with kids - H&S nightmares)
Endless sunny school holidays damming up Scoonie burn
Traffic on the High Street
The railway station - a gateway to the world outside
Chrissie's clothes shop at the Shorehead - for all your crimpoline needs
Barron's Clothes / household shop
Paterson's Fruit and Veg
The Pet Store
Summer shows at the Beach Pavillion Theatre
Inappropriate matinee shows at the Troxy (Night of the Generals, Dance of the Vampires, Our Man Flint)
Sneaking jublees from Cinagocca's into the Troxy matinees
The Double L - Lundin Links Hotel - our school pub!
Work places - the spinning mill, paper mill, the pits, the steel works, the post office, the lemonade factory.

Aye Leven Lass I remember all the places same as you. I was a regular at Drennans every Saturday to spend my pocket money then my wages once I started working, the greatest record shop ever. If they didn't have it in stock they would order any record specially for you.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to visit this thread. It's a gem - pure dead brilliant. If you want an intimate archive of Levenmouth history, look no further!

Although I'm only a Sassenach incomer (since 1973), I can empathise with many of these posts, especially the one about the record shop in Leven which the old ladies ran. They knew far more about Jimi Hendrix than I ever did!

AFTN site administrator - for goodness sake get this thread archived for the local history society because once it's gone, it's lost forever.

MON THE FIFE (AND WOLVES)

From my time living in the area:
Letham glen animals disappeared, the bandstand, silverburn, acorn pet store now sainsbury extended the building into one shop, Woolworth now pound land, old electrical shop now new look, movie express now ladbrokes, habit where my mum held a job before working with Richmond fellowship now wh smiths, sommerfields in leven, old post office in buckhaven, Wellesley road now filled with cars and taxis, denbeath miners club, sports shop which self mostly golf equipment now tanning place across from gala bingo now cinema in leven, post office factory now good news in leven, pleasure land, johnnys bingo along the prom, purple shop hairdressers back street of leven was a taxi centre, the washing machine shop on the corner across from new bus station now a takeaway place, the auld factory that stood where the retail park in leven, the auld bumpy road off bawbee bridge from leven to methil past recycling centre on the hill now shut off, toll bar methilhaven road, zaps computer store now jacks chippy in methilhill off methilhaven road, firework display along the prom, power station, the mill field did lovely bar lunches, Slivertassie pub, In Dysart the electrical store now a co-op and kwick save store lower methil

Don't know if it's been mentioned in a previous post but does anyone remember the auld man's hut at Sandwell park,just down from the dressing rooms.

I could have sworn I saw him too at the bus station he had a wee leather bag on etc only couple of months ago. I mind his mum selling sweets in the wee sweet shop on the way to Parkhill school. Are we talking about the same guy?

Mind the rope walk we used to pinch apples along it

It must've been his ghost then George as Bertie died a while back.

Saw him this morning at the bus station.

As a 16 year old just started my first job App electrician with Moncrieff Bros Sunday night Number 1 bar in the Earl Haig Club and 5 pints of ordinary at 14p a pint then on to the disco in the Centre and a became the best dancer in scotland HAPPY DAYS

shame the dancing thing isnae what you will be remembered for eh

Tinsoldier
A bloody hell old Del has passed away?

Stotted in there many a time after a few beers in the Steppy.

Now no Steppy and no Del's.

Yes, but I remember waiting for 6 weeks for the LP I ordered coming in.

My Uncle, John Redpath, used to tow the Coop van up to Mountfluerie every day from the transport depot on Commercial Rd. I think Mr Todd was the salesman and had the manager's job when the shop finally opened.

1 2 3