Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dwindling Attendances - Rant- Suggestion

Read with interest and dissapointment the P&B thread on dwindling 2nd (and likely 1st 3rd) division attendances.
488 Last night? Stand and Car Park felt more especially with almost 100 Lichties!

Anyway the idea - And I know there have been a few before, but...

One game before the end of the season the SFL/Irn Bru announce "SFL Free Football Saturday"
Use some League/sponsorship money to fund it along the lines of -

1st Div - Average paying supporter = 1000X£15=£15000X5 games = Approx £75000 cost.
£15000 to each home Team (split with away team?)

2nd Div - Average paying supporter =
500X£12=£6000X5 games = Approx £30000 cost
£6000 to each home Team (split with away team?)

3rd Div - Average paying supporter =
300X£10=£3000X5 games = Approx £15000 cost
£3000 to each home Team (split with away team?)

Total cost to SFL/Irn Bru= (£75000+£30000+£15000)=Approx £120,000

See what crowds turn up for Free football - I would hope bumper/record crowds at all 15 games!

Even then, Compensate it a bit by charging £1 at Gate for- SFL/Irn Bru raffle for prizes (roughly £20,00 back? Maybe more

Compensate (loyal!) ST holders by getting a 10/1 or 15/1 voucher for the raffle at their gate

Add to that increased merchandising/bar/food/programme revenue a chunk of the outlay would come back or add to Club coffers.

Also attract return/new support - impossibe to calculate but something there too.

Try it for one weekend, before the end of the season.

It would take a bit of organising, but worth the investment/Advertising/Exposure I think.

Then again we could always carry on as we are!

Re: Dwindling Attendances - Rant- Suggestion

The reason I don't go so much is

1) All seater stadium. Bayview - Brutal, Stark's Park - Brutal, East End - Brutal. It has totally killed it for me.

2) Playing the same team 4 times minimum. Airdrie United 6 times this season.

3) (div 1 only) One team going up makes the season fairly pointless.

Things that don't sway me, but might others are

1) Skill level. Means nothing to me. I am there to see goals and Raith win. Nothing else matters, anything else is a bonus.

2) Cost. I think it's ridiculous paying £16 for a div 1 game, but I have pennies, so will keep on going regardless.

Really like that idea Tactician. So much so I've used it for the AFTN Blog subject for today - hope you don't mind!

Good points from J as well.

Why not let every supporter in free and pay to get out.
If you left in the first fifteen mins you pay 2.50(pounds) If you left at half time 5.00(pounds) and so on.
Link it to the players wage as they will get a percentage of everyone who pays, this will encourage the lazy bastards in the team.
You should at least see a team that gives 100% regardless of ability.
Some players pick up money for nothing.

RAITHROVERS1stDivision
Why not let every supporter in free and pay to get out.
If you left in the first fifteen mins you pay 2.50(pounds) If you left at half time 5.00(pounds) and so on.
Link it to the players wage as they will get a percentage of everyone who pays, this will encourage the lazy bastards in the team.
You should at least see a team that gives 100% regardless of ability.
Some players pick up money for nothing.

Interesting.

Carrying on from one of my points... I go to see Raith win, or at worst, not lose.

If I could get a guaranteed win I would pay over the odds.

Have entry into the ground similar to a Fixed Rate or Variable mortgage. You either pay the £16 and watch the game, or you pay nothing on entry, but are charged on exit £10 for a loss, £16 for the draw and £20 for the win. As RAITH mentioned, it could be linked to win bonuses.

It would be a sight worth seeing. Hundreds of RR winos and druggies all dreeping down the walls onto Pratt Street to get out without paying.

The Other Chairman
It would be a sight worth seeing. Hundreds of RR winos and druggies all dreeping down the walls onto Pratt Street to get out without paying.

Another post RUINED by E*st F*fe fans...

Jonathan
Another post RUINED by E*st F*fe fans...[/quote

If it is such a good post,post it on your own site if you have one

If you don't like it then you could always go. After all, no-one is making you post on this site and you are about as welcome here as Adolf Hitler at a jew's house during a bar mitzvah.

Dont mind at all GOF, flattered in fact.
I hope the Blog section is appreciated, I for one love it and it's EF angle but also it's diversity, keep it up.

Looking forward to AFTN 3.0 this Summer.

Jonathan I hope you are old enough to understand this and I am not being derogitary.Do you remember the old first and second division leagues of I think 20 teams.You played each other twice in a season plus cup games,we have to revert to something like this again or Scottish football is doomed (I would rather have said f*cked.This is at the feet of the "mighty glasgow two"and all the coathangers from edinburgh,dundeeand of course scumfermline there are a few more rovers being one after the bold publican from lochgelly thought he knew better or his lodge told him to vote a certain way.We need to get the two biggest moneywasters out of scottish football but I really don't know how.Thanks for your patience.

Exile
If you don't like it then you could always go. After all, no-one is making you post on this site and you are about as welcome here as Adolf Hitler at a jew's house during a bar mitzvah.

Zap (sic) and Exile

For goodness sake, can you not see the irony in my post?

Hate my club, but don't hate me...

Jonathan,
As soon as I look up irony in the dictionary I might or might not be very upset at your response.

The Other Chairman
Jonathan,
As soon as I look up irony in the dictionary I might or might not be very upset at your response.

TOC, please don't be upset at my response.

I promise that you or any other E*st F*fe fans have not ruined the post.

Everything is fine. Exile, you okay with this? Zip (sic) can we be friends?

What is the definition of ironic?