Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Jekyll and Hyde Football

Well, safe to say that was a big set of results today and we're back in the mire!!
We definately struggle when we come up against well organised teams like Alloa, just as we did against Stirling the other week.
Players looked tired and we only looked like scoring when Smart went up front. Crawfords (Alloa GK) save from Smarts header was the best save I've seen in a long time.
Probs next week we'll be good and then the week after we'll be rubbish and so on and so on. Consistent we are not!

Re: Jekyll and Hyde Football

Why only play the last 10 minutes like a cup final ? What's with the other 80 min ? It wasn't like this game wasn't huge. Although it very nearly worked, putting Smart up front was sheer desperation/clutching at straws. We played little football and just punted to McManus who, again at one point today, instead of shooting at goal having beat the defender inside the corner of the box, squares it - move breaks down. He's the No.9, he should be scoring/testing the keeper. We need a centre forward.
Cook had an absolute nightmare.

We'd a couple of chances but for the majority we were second-best in midfield. They controlled the first 35 minutes and we decided to have a go at them for the last 10.

2 points ahead with 1 game played more. It's offically out of our hands as it stands.

It's not out of our hands yet coz we play Arbroath on the last day!!
It's Mick Mannus' shooting ability that really lets him down. He always just hits it as hard as he can.

A wee bit unfortunate today as there was not much between the sides. Alloa provided similar opposition as Stirling a fortnight ago but we were better equipped to deal with a physical scrap on this occasion.
We probably lacked a bit of extra guile to break them down although Lloyd Young came onto a game in the second half and looked the best bet to provide it.
Don't forget that the Stenhousemuir game in two weeks is also going to be a massive 6-pointer.

Brutal the day back to the punt up to mcmanus could have seen us playing all day and no scoring, playing 1 up front at home for most of the game is a disgrace, some save from the alloa keeper hard to believe its the same guy that done the howler when we played queens park last year.

Thought we dominated the first half but the second was much more even. Very unlucky to lose as Alloa scored with a deflected shot and didn't manage much else in the 90 minutes. We didn't create a load either but their keeper made a couple of fantastic saves to deny McManus & Smart. They're a decent side who defended well and restricted us.
We've played better & prettier but think we've moved on from the Stirling game. Defo deserved at least a point. Optimistic we've got the players & desire to stay up.

It looks to me that Arbroath have the desire, not us!
We created virtually hee haw and we seem doomed to a play off place.
On paper we have a team more than capable of competing in this league. On the pitch we have a team who in all honesty are shit!
They are letting the fans down big style!!!

The fans or us?

You werenae there the day.

Fifer
The fans or us?

You werenae there the day.

I was there today as I was Tuesday and please reply using another name!!!!!

This is my name!
I am Fifer. East Fife Black and Gold.

Fifer
This is my name!
I am Fifer. East Fife Black and Gold.
Have been there pal you do not own the name anyway todays game PUNT PUNT PUNT

Must admit reading some of the posts here I must have been watching a different game.

Punt, punt, punt - not from where I was sitting.
Alloa controlled first 35 mins - not in my opinion.

Bottom line is goals win matches and we didn't score but the players gave 100% which I think can be testified by the majority of fans applauding the team at the end.

The team tried to pass; sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. On no account did we deserve to lose this game. Brown barely had a save to make and Crawford (gk) made 2 or 3 excellent ones.

If we don't score early then it seems to become a problem and we are being punished for the least wee mistakes.

I do think we are heading in the right direction but we are running out of games to prove it. Just need to roll up the sleeves and get ready for the next "cup final".

"Heading in the right direction"...more like the wrong direction!

The players do not seem to want it enough. take Linn when we were 1 nil down and the ball goes out. Does he retrieve it? does he fuck!!!

No urgency in this team and this slow build up play will get us relegated.

Abroath are fighting to stay up and it shows. East Fife team seem to think they are too good to go down and it also shows!

Ok this wasn't our best performance, at times we resorted to hitting long balls and we perhaps didn't show the urgency we should have. That a side I can't remember Alloa creating loads of goal scoring opportunities, we created more, Alloa's goal was a bit of a fluke a looping deflected shot, at worst we should have taken a point today, but we didn't. We won't win all our remaining games and neither will Arbroath, Stenhousemuir, or Dumbarton, on paper this was probably the hardest game of our run in, and we didn't win it. We may only have five games left but there will be a lot of twists and turns before we face Arbroath in the last game. Were still in there fighting and we still have our own destiny in our hands, Mon the Fife

Considering the number of games we've had I thought the team put in alot of effort and deserved better from the match.
The results leave us in a precarious position.Was hoping for a nice relaxed end to the season but should have known it wouldn't be East Fife if they didn't make you suffer.

what happened at half time? - first half we were the better team, had more of the possesion, more attempts on goal.
Second half - back to the bad old days of header ping pong, crap passing, giving away possesion and not playing as a team. Only to wake up in the last 10 minutes and start performing again.
On the plus side - teams fitness is up on last season - why can't we play the same kind of football for the full 90??

Can't understand where SPF gets the "They controlled the first 35 minutes and we decided to have a go at them for the last 10" idea from??

"They" never threatened us once in the 1st half and scored with their only effort in the 2nd half. That was the reality, but it comes down to the fact that we are not taking our chances and get punished for it! After the goal we did lose our composure and started punting a bit for about 10-15 minutes, but we were not threatened by them and gradually fought our way back to dominating again, but still not scoring!

SPF's "reports" on our games get stranger and stranger as the season goes on! He even makes judgements when he is not at games, why??

Can't understand where SPF gets the "They controlled the first 35 minutes and we decided to have a go at them for the last 10" idea from??

Well I WAS at the game and thought they controlled the middle of the park with ease with us sitting too deep for the first 35 minutes. Although we created a couple of chances early on. They were first to most balls and we never tried to play any football. They contained us no bother. We also showed little or no urgency until the last 10 minutes. We only started playing better when Lloyd Young came into a game in the second half (ie, we started to try and play footall in bursts).

"it comes down to the fact that we are not taking our chances and get punished for it! After the goal we did lose our composure and started punting a bit for about 10-15 minutes, but we were not threatened by them and gradually fought our way back to dominating again, but still not scoring!"

We played very little good football with punts from Smart and Ovenstone (and more) throughout the majority. Christ, it was a punt which lead to them scoring. I agree we don't take chances. That's why I said we need a centre-forward in the No.9 shirt.

"SPF's "reports" on our games get stranger and stranger as the season goes on! He even makes judgements when he is not at games, why?? "

Oh I really get to you eh ? Are you question mark ? Bookies aren't taking bets on that. Why do I comment on games ? Because I'm a season ticket holder and got to 95% of games home and away.

Why shouldn't I make judgement (team selection etc) on a 6-2 mauling (the worst result in generation which I wasn't at) ? Why shouldn't I comment on getting fired out of the Cup by the worst team in Scotland (another game I wasn't at) ? Off the top of my head, the only other game I wasn't at was Peterhead midweek, and I never made 'judgement' as you put it.

Why do you change usernames constantly ? Are you ashamed of yourself ?

EDIT: I thought we played really well in the 0-2 defeat at theirs and gave the team plaudits for that. Didn't think we did yesterday. Too slow, too deliberate, too many punts, not enough urgency.

Lets blame mcmanus every week,get a grip man.You guys are a joke,And in my view he was our best player yesterday.Anybody who thinks ovenstone was man of the match need there eyes tested,too many punts up the park and missing the midfield.young,cook linn, were all poor.Mcmanus worked his arse off to try and get a shot on goal,And done well to make the keeper save them by hitting the target.We blame him every week if he doesnt score,Yet when someone else has a chance and doesnt take it we dont say anything about it.

I laughed at the man of the match selection too. Whoever was responsible must have been either next of kin or on the drink.