Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
club crest

i know there was a post discussing club crests earlier.
but does anyone know of the earliest club crest or if there was one on the scottish cup winning team top?

Re: club crest

There was no badge on the 1938 cup final shirt.
The earliest shirt badge appeared in the early 1950s and had the saltire, thistle and letters EFFC. If you look for the thread titled "POLL - Which East Fife Badge/ Crest is the best ?" it is option B.

been reading about the legal case involving fortmartine united using the saltire in their crest...wonder why there's been no mention of east fife?

ssssshhhhhhhh!!!

No, no, bring it up!!!

Bring back the Thane!!!

ayr united , forfar west end also use the saltire in there badge!!!!.

Exactly, it's as common as muck!!!

Bring back the Thane!!!

King Kebab

Bring back the Thane!!!

Totally agree, and the white shorts. Obviously.

Bring back the original badge (saltire, thistle and EFFC).

And the jambo bawbags also have the saltire in their badge.

S-Pat
King Kebab

Bring back the Thane!!!

Totally agree, and the white shorts. Obviously.

and covered terracing opposite the main stand...

S-Pat

...and the white shorts. Obviously.

I, personally, have still to make my mind up on the white shorts

the Dude

and covered terracing opposite the main stand...

I'd take ANY kind of terracing, covered or not.

badger
There was no badge on the 1938 cup final shirt.
The earliest shirt badge appeared in the early 1950s and had the saltire, thistle and letters EFFC. If you look for the thread titled "POLL - Which East Fife Badge/ Crest is the best ?" it is option B.

Said it before. Make it black and gold instead of brown and beige then it's the Thane for me.

A modernised version of The Thane if we get to use it, would be cool. Without all the weird sheild, footballs etc.

If not that then something totally new! There have been some great ideas on here. Consign the current crest to the history books.

spiritofchink
A modernised version of The Thane .....

Yeah. Like on a Segway rather than a horse.

We are the Thanes of Fife,
We are the Thanes of Fife,
WE ARE the Thanes of Fife....East Fife!

Yeh, definitely sounds good.

P.S. Don't forget our other two badges:

'E.F.F.C.' and a gothic font style 'effc' running diagonaly left to right.

King Kebab
No, no, bring it up!!!

Bring back the Thane!!!

Seen this KK ?

That wouldn`t look too good on black and yellow tops.

Jim P

That wouldn't look too good on anything! Why have something that is more akin to heraldry and the aristocratic classes anyway? I think the crest on the tops just now are fine and I for one don't want anything that remotely links us to the ruling classes!

I have asked this question many times but no-one seems to know: why did East Fife adopt such a nationalistic badge?

You can't include Hearts because their badge is a replica of the stone design outside St Giles' kirk on the High Street.

Pint of ordinary.
Jim P

That wouldn't look too good on anything! Why have something that is more akin to heraldry and the aristocratic classes anyway? I think the crest on the tops just now are fine and I for one don't want anything that remotely links us to the ruling classes!

I disagree. The sorry excuse of a crest we have used for the past couple of decades says nothing about the club, it's location, history, heritage etc. I like the Thane but would be up for anything that gets rids of what we have right now.

What I'd like included on any new badge:

Firstly, EFFC simple enough no need for East Fife Scotland, there are no other countries with East Fife teams to my knowledge.

Secondly, A reference to both the mining heritage and the Docks.

Thirdly, 4 Stars in recognition of our 4 major cup wins.

Fourthly, Black and Gold stripes, all encompassed in a heraldic shaped crest

the Dude
Pint of ordinary.
Jim P

I disagree. The sorry excuse of a crest we have used for the past couple of decades says nothing about the club, it's location, history, heritage etc. I like the Thane but would be up for anything that gets rids of what we have right now.

So what does the man on the horse in the picture above say about our club?

The present one says we are East Fife FC and it says we are a Scottish Football Club, so how is it inferior to a warlike figure on a horse?

The present one says we are East Fife FC and it says we are a Scottish Football Club.

Yes and that's all it says. It's boring, dull, just plain rubbish. At least the thane is a recognisable Fife symbol. S-Pat has got the right idea actually and that is the way we should be thinking.

Right Galloway,nobody is biting about the black and yellow tops so fuck off!!!!

the Dude
The present one says we are East Fife FC and it says we are a Scottish Football Club.

Yes and that's all it says. It's boring, dull, just plain rubbish. At least the thane is a recognisable Fife symbol. S-Pat has got the right idea actually and that is the way we should be thinking.

This ^
Not all that keen on an industrial theme though.

I'd stick with something heraldic, like a crown, the thane, or St.Andrew with a saltire, or maybe even McDuff Castle or something..
We should have a real competition, and involve a design company. Our corporate image really sucks, and this back-of-a-fag-packet club crest doesn't help.

St Pauli Fifer
King Kebab
No, no, bring it up!!!

Bring back the Thane!!!

Seen this KK ?

Neigh... convinced with that one!

I think we should have a badge with
- Methil Powerstation
- A Miners pick & Hammer
- An old leather Baw.

Raith should change their badge or a couple of rolls of Lino with some steam rising from them...a bit like the steam of a sh!te.

HD

Raith should change their badge or a couple of rolls of Lino with some steam rising from them...a bit like the steam of a sh!te.

As opposed to the one they have now.. a red lizard doing the splits while eating a stuffed crust pizza

I have said it before and will say it again..BLACK AND YELLOW STRIPES WITH THE THANE IN THE MIDDLE!!
White shorts and black and yellow socks!!!

Who exactly was the Thane of Fife and for what reasons is he held in such high regard? I have been doing some research and it appears he was Macduff and I'm afraid to say that he was not someone of whom we should be proud to associate East Fife with, unless I am mistaken?

Here's what I found

Lodge Thane of Fife N0.781

No thanks

The 'Thanes' of Fife were like earls or sherriffs, stretching back to the 11th century or something. Long before the reformation. Not one single person. Nothing particularly sinister!

St Pauli Fifer
Here's what I found

No thanks

And you obviously didn't look very far, very shortsighted and disappointing comment from you SPF!!!

In short, in medieval eastern Scotland (Fife), a Thane was a local royal official at the head of administrative and socio-economic units known as shires or thanages!!!

In Shakespeare's Macbeth, Macbeth was Thane of Glamis and then Thane of Cawdor before becoming King of Scotland. He was also obviously defeated by the all conquering, all-powerful, fearless, death-defying and no doubt astonishingly goodlooking Thane of Fife, a sort of Conan of his day!!!

The Thane of Fife is also seen as being universally recognised as a parallel figure to protagonist Macbeth, the character of Macduff serves the text as a case study for overlapping theories of morality. In one vein, Macduff promotes truth and cuts through the treacherous secrecy of companion characters. It emphasises his dedication to truth over falsehood!!!

The Thane of Fife is thus seen as an example of morality that contrasts directly with the protagonist's immorality, integrity that contrasts with moral subversion!!!

The Thane of Fife may also be read as a precursor for existentialist philosophy, but I won't bore you with that one!!!

You must also agree that these are all admirable traits, so admirable in fact that his image is used outwith his own Parish, a Parish that includes Methil I should add. That badge that you showed of Howe of Fife Rugby Club, although not a very good drawing, shows that!!!

The Thane is also used as the Main totem in the Coat of Arms for Fife Council, a body that governs all of Fife!!!

It is used by the Fife Police;

and can be read about here

It is also used by Fife Fire Brigade;

The Fife and Forfar Yeomanry (FFY) was an Armoured Yeomanry Regiment of the British Territorial Army from 1793 to 1956 when it was amalgimated with the Scottish Horse!!!

It was raised to specifically counter a the threat of invasion by France in the late 18th Century but first saw service in the Boer War. The Regiment saw heavy fighting in both the Great War and World War II!!!

Can you guess what was used as it's badge???

I think the Thane represents more, what I would want a Fifer, particularly an East Fifer to represent, I think his image says more about us as a people and as a Community than a picture of a Scotland flag with a football on it ever does!!!

BRING BACK THE THANE!!!

Also anybody who are wrongly looking for any Anti-Catholic agenda in the various representations of the Thane, whilst apparently forgetting that the first Thane have been a Catholic as would the innumerable generations been so afterwards!!!

Anyway just bringing this up just to show you how The John F. Kennedy Catholic High School, who incidently have guess who on their School badge, have updated it and physically rotated him so that from a "face-on" perspective have a new badge for their various Sports Teams!!!

I do think it's quite smart but perhaps a bit too Americanised for us, wouldn't want us to go all Alloa!!!

But then again we would probabbly sell shitloads of t-shirts with that logo on it!!!

Here it is without the writting, it's actually starting to grow on me!!!

It's sooooooo... last century, I'm afraid, appealing only to the very poor classes, who always look up to the ruling classes as if they were something to aspire to, when really, these 'ruling' classes are just a shower of selfish, thieving b'strds!

King Kebab
St Pauli Fifer
Here's what I found

No thanks

And you obviously didn't look very far, very shortsighted and disappointing comment from you SPF!!!

In short, in medieval eastern Scotland (Fife), a Thane was a local royal official at the head of administrative and socio-economic units known as shires or thanages!!!

Thank you!

King Kebab
is used by the Fife Police;

This.
On a black circular crest, or a shield.
Highlighted in gold surround.

EFFC at the top.
1903 at the bottom.

Job done.

Personally I prefer S-Pat's suggestion of something connecting us to the areas working class history (the pits, the docks etc) rather than aristocrats, tax collecters, wealthy land owners and royalty.

the russian
Personally I prefer S-Pat's suggestion of something connecting us to the areas working class history (the pits, the docks etc) rather than aristocrats, tax collecters, wealthy land owners and royalty.

Thought S-Pat said he wanted the Thane back along with the white shorts???

Although I disagree with your Assessment that the Thane is somehow a symbol of Aristocracy and not the obvious representation of a humanistic alternative to stringent constructions of morality that he so obviously is I wouldn't be adverse to your suggestion of the working class history of the area!!!

Hibs revamped their Club badge a few years to big success,

now replace the Castle with the Thane, keep the boat to represent the docks and replace the harp with a pithead winding gear and now we might be getting somewhere!!!

King Kebab
the russian

Although I disagree with your Assessment that the Thane is somehow a symbol of Aristocracy and not the obvious representation of a humanistic alternative to stringent constructions of morality that he so obviously is I wouldn't be adverse to your suggestion of the working class history of the area!!!

now replace the Castle with the Thane, keep the boat to represent the docks and replace the harp with a pithead winding gear and now we might be getting somewhere!!!

Don't like the colour though!

King Kebab
the russian

What success did it bring like?

Thoroughly Modern Willie

I was refering of course, to their successful rebranding campaign and the subsequent launch of the aforesaid Club Badge!!!

Lodge Thane of Fife No. 781
Stenhouse Street,
Cowdenbeath

coaster
Lodge Thane of Fife No. 781
Stenhouse Street,
Cowdenbeath

the potatoes of fife

are my life.

King Kebab
Thoroughly Modern Willie

I was refering of course, to their successful rebranding campaign and the subsequent launch of the aforesaid Club Badge!!!

So what relevance is that to us? I know you do not like the present badge, but what is the fixation for age old crests that mean pretty much nothing to virtually everybody else in the world, including probably most East Fife fans?

Our present badge is at least informative and there is no doubt about what team it belongs to and which country the team comes from if wearing one abroad. If it needs to be changed, then I would agree that it should reflect something directly relevant to East Fife FC, Methil and the east of Fife, as suggested by others like the Russian.

Fuck sake. I'm not keen on fighting some kind of post-war class struggle on the front of my football strip. We want to be inclusive, and saying something about our FIFE identity. Reclaiming it. Drawing our support from all walks of life.

The pits are as much part of our local history but who's going to be attracted to a club with a fucking coalmine for a club crest? How exciting. How inspiring. They're hardly unique to Methil anyway! There were plenty mines around COWDENBEATH, for example! And Kirkcaldy.

A medieval knight on horseback, or some black faced punter from Denbeath with a cloth bunnet and a collapsed lung?

Mittlerer Erzgebirgskreis

Got the mining symbol in there, get a wee boat in one bit and a fitbaw or something in the other, make it black and gold. 4 stars above it for the cup wins and East Fife FC underneath.

Similarly, how about St Andrews Cross as we have (Saint Andrew) white saltire with a gold background, in the 4 segments, St Andrew himself, the thane, mining wheel and boat/sea in the other. Gold baw in the middle. Levenmouth instead of Scotland at the top of badge.

Something like

Thoroughly Modern Willie
King Kebab
Thoroughly Modern Willie

So what relevance is that to us?

It is obviously relevant as it shows that a Club can change it's Badge from a shite one to a newer more relevant image, one that can be profited from more successfully due to it's increased marketability and be applauded for it from it's own fans!!!

Tradition works, just ask Alloa fans what they would rather have!!!

Gold thane on St Andrews Cross background, 'in vigilans' title under the thane. Number '19' outside the badge on one side and '03' on the other side.

Keep the 'East Fife' and 'Football Club' wording in the gold banners.

Im studying product marketing at uni and decided to make some East Fife badges for practice, tried to adapt some of the mentions above into some.

i like no. 5

Too many crowns on those badges for my liking, reminds me of Real Madrid. I'd go with The Russian's suggestions.

Well here it is again, the subject the refuses to die or even go away, as a few would like it to!!!

Check this out...

http://news.stv.tv/north/204095-football-club-forced-to-remove-saltire-from-badge-following-complaint/

Now I know this complaint against Formartine Utd and the resultant actions are a couple of years old now but with this new case involving Airdrie...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/airdrieonians-0-lord-lyon-1-5408847

I think we should be aware that this could really affect us, especially as we have a massive great saltire in our badge which actually the link between the two cases!!!

Now some may say "So what, what's the big dead?", but the big deal is, that this could cost the Club thousands of pounds, and unless I'm very much mistaken, that is thousands of pounds that this Club does not have!!!

How you may ask???

Well, it would cost the Club to register a new Badge/Club Crest with the Lord Lyon Heraldry Society!!!

As ALL merchandise baring the club crest will be illegal to sell after the 1st of September. Everything in the Club Shop that hasn't been sold will have to be binned, this will Cost the Club!!!

Plus all branding throughout the stadium will have to be removed, this will also be at cost to the Club!!!

This has happened or is going to happen at Airdrie and The Lord Lyon has said and I quote " that a number of clubs will be getting the same treatment. From memory the clubs mentioned as being next up were Rangers, Hearts, Raith Rovers, Ayr United, Dunfermline & either Dundee or Dundee United. Although that's just the first batch of clubs, the majority of clubs fall foul of the law in one way or the other."

I also quote "Absolutely ridiculously trivial rule being enforced by some jumped up pen pushing arsehole", but I'm sure you will agree!!!

Well anything that helps us to ditch our crap crest!

St Pauli Fifer
Similarly, how about St Andrews Cross as we have (Saint Andrew) white saltire with a gold background, in the 4 segments, St Andrew himself, the thane, mining wheel and boat/sea in the other. Gold baw in the middle. Levenmouth instead of Scotland at the top of badge.

Something like

I like that idea, St Andrews theme and have a coal, hammer, boat and old fitbaw for what Leven-mouth/methil was back in years of 1938.

The waverley flag underneath instead of our current/today crest that has scotland, we all know we fae scotland have something different, something related to the town of the football club or some sort of passion like once a fifer always a fifer written in the flag logo type waverley flag underneath have a circle with East Fife Football club at the bottom Methil Milan 1903 at top of the circle have the stars for our cup wins.

Am going a bit like Everton daft with the crest i didn't know Hibernian change their logo did rangers no do the same with the ready thing to RFC same with celtic with the celtick church looking cross thing to a four leaf cother more recent of the Irish connections?

Can anyone tell me how long we had our logo type, scotland looking crest for that looks a bit like Ayr united have?