Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
On That Windswept Plain

Does anyone know where this book is still availible to buy? Can't seem to find my copy anywhere. It's on amazon for 30 odd quid but i wondered if anywhere local still sold it at retail price? Club website seems to suggest it's sold out.

Re: On That Windswept Plain

ive got twa in the hoose dude .

Jim Corstorphine , the guy that takes the photos for the official site , he might have some left , he was the author . also has an east fife historian website .

I'm afraid I don't have any left, and I think the club has sold out as well.
The only places that MIGHT have a copy to sell are East Neuk Books in Rodger Street, Anstruther, or GT Coventry Tobacconist in Kirkcaldy High Street (near that Mongolian restaurant).

I have a brand new copy I can sell you the money will go to the bus fund,I can bring it on saturday.

Thanks for the replies. Zak, that would be great. If you let me know where you'll be before kick-off and how much you want for it, i'll give you the cash then.

I will be in sids bar before the game,I hope £5 is not too much to ask it will go to the bus fund.

zak
I will be in sids bar before the game,I hope £5 is not too much to ask it will go to the bus fund.

Make it £15 and get Jim to autograph it!!!

King Kebab
zak

Make it £15 and get Jim to autograph it!!!

Are you willing to pay £15 I have another one and I am sure Jim will sign it

I'll give you one for £30 and i'll get Jim to kiss you.

Thanks Zak, I'll give you £10 since its going on the bus.

Spartacus,I have just noticed that it is signed,and it is my own personal copy that is not signed.I have 4 copies 3 of which are signed.will see you on saturday.

My Auntie Maureen followed The Fife in the 40's and 50's and I would really like to give her a copy for a present. I just imagine the old stories that the book might invoke.

If there is a copy going please let me know as well.

Norwich Fifer
My Auntie Maureen followed The Fife in the 40's and 50's and I would really like to give her a copy for a present. I just imagine the old stories that the book might invoke.

If there is a copy going please let me know as well.

Email me and I will see what I can do

Hi Jim, Please excuse the cold-calling approach but I saw this post regarding your book On That Windswept Plain. My grandfather, Duncan Lindsay, played for East Fife in 1925 and 1926 and I'd dearly like to obtain a copy if you know of any still available. Failing that, is it possible for you to have a quick glance at the book for that period to see if he's mentioned or features in any photos. Cheeky I know so please don't feel obliged. Thank you.

I still have a copy.£10 the money goes to the travel club funds.

Ian Lambert
Hi Jim, Please excuse the cold-calling approach but I saw this post regarding your book On That Windswept Plain. My grandfather, Duncan Lindsay, played for East Fife in 1925 and 1926 and I'd dearly like to obtain a copy if you know of any still available. Failing that, is it possible for you to have a quick glance at the book for that period to see if he's mentioned or features in any photos. Cheeky I know so please don't feel obliged. Thank you.

Hello Ian. Sorry for the delay in replying to your post, but I'm just back from holiday.
Unfortunately I don't have any copies available as the book has been sold out for some time and I have no immediate plans to have it re-printed.
I've had a look through the chapter for the late 1920's and have mentioned a J.Lindsay as being in the squad at the beginning of the 1925/26 season as well as being on the list of scorers for that season with four goals.
Having subsequently consulted recently acquired records for East Fife players in 1925/26, there is no J.Lindsay, but there is a Duncan Lindsay, which is obviously your Grandfather. Was he known by another first name perhaps?
My original records which I used when putting the book together were mainly obtained from old newspaper reports and articles, so there's every possibility they had his first name initial wrong.
The only other information I can give you about Duncan Lindsay is that he signed for East Fife during the 1924/25 season and was transferred to Cowdenbeath in May 1926.
Finally, do you have any photos of Duncan in his footballing days, wearing any team jersey or in any team photo? I like to keep digital copies of any such photos for use in the articles I write for the match programme!

Thanks for that Jim. To the best of my knowledge he was always known as Duncan. I have most of the copies of the Dunfermline Journal but they only ever listed him as Lindsay: never a first name and it wasn't until he joined Cowdenbeath that he began to appear in the reported team lists. They rarely seemed to bother with team lists when reporting East Fife matches. Photos of him are quite rare (long story) but I do have team photos of him at Newcastle, Bury, Hartlepool, York (hopefully soon) and some grainy newspaper action photos from his time playing in the Cheshire League for Ashton National when he was knocking in goals for fun. I even found on eBay last week his autograph from his Hartlepool days - a treasured find. If you do ever fancy putting together an article for the programme I can fill you in with plenty of history. Feel free to email me outside of this forum if you wish.
Ian

Further to Jim's information, my records show that Duncan Lindsay played a total of 12 league games and 1 Scottish Cup tie for East Fife before signing for Cowdenbeath on the 6th May 1926. Prior to this he was on the Open to Transfer list. I only have him scoring on three occasions in the league.

Hi Statto,
I have a copy of a letter sent to my mother from the Club stating that he played 10 League games and 1 Scottish Cup match which sounds like perhaps it's not quite up-to-date. I've also seen him mentioned (in the Dunfermline Journal) as a player in the Fife Charity Cup Final in May 1925. Do you have any specific details about in which 12 League matches he played, in which ones he scored and in which positions he played? Do you know if he played at all before the Charity Cup Final? Pre-season trial matches maybe?

Zak, Are you still willing and able to supply the spare copy of Jim's book to me? If so, please email me with your preference of how you wish me to pay for it.
Thank you,
Ian

Ian

Your Grandfather played in the following games for East Fife. All at outside right, except the Dunfermline game when he was centre forward, and the games against East Stirlingshire and Q.O.S. when he was inside left.

1924-25

Apr11 Alloa Athletic A S2 Drew 1-1
Apr25 Broxburn United A S2 Lost 1-2

(May2 Raith Rovers A FCC (Semi Final) Won 3-1)

(May16 Cowdenbeath H FCC (Final) Won 2-1)

1925-26

Aug15 Third Lanark A S2 Lost 0-4
Aug22 Stenhousemuir H S2 Drew 1-1
Aug29 Arbroath A* S2 Won 4-2 (Scored 1 goal))
Sep5 Broxburn United H S2 Won 2-1 (Scored 30 mins)
Sep12 Albion Rovers A S2 Lost 0-2
Sep16 Dunfermline Athletic A S2 Lost 3-5
Sep26 East Stirlingshire A S2 Lost 1-2
Oct3 Queen of the South H S2 Won 1-0
Jan9 Bo’ness H S2 Won 4-1 (Scored 1 goal)
Jan16 Dumbarton A S2 Lost 1-2
Jan23 Bo’ness A SC Lost 1-2

(Sep2 Raith Rovers H Wemyss Cup 2nd Round Lost 3-4)

* First game at New Gayfield. A photograph exists of both teams that day.

Thank you Statto,
Are the original records still available for those matches? If so, I'd dearly like to get copies for the portfolio I'm putting together of my grandfather's career. I have a copy of the Dunfermline Journal from 19 Sep 1925 which describes the match between Dunfermline and East Fife and has my grandfather at Number 9 and scoring the 3rd goal for East Fife. It lists Weir, Wilson (pen) and Lindsay.
I managed to find a small grainy photo of the Arbroath match on the Arbroath website: do you know if a better copy exists?

Hi Jim,

I've since unearthed a team photo of my grandfather when he was at Cambuslang Rangers, immediately prior to joining East Fife. I also have a decent copy of the Arbroath photo from 29 Aug 1925. Let me know if you'd like them.

Ian

Statto,

Me again. Regarding the records you have for April 1925: was my grandfather recorded by name? The reason I ask is that I've since found a local newspaper report for April 18 which refers to "Trial" playing on the wing. Would that have been him?

Thank you,

Ian

Ian Lambert
Statto,

Me again. Regarding the records you have for April 1925: was my grandfather recorded by name? The reason I ask is that I've since found a local newspaper report for April 18 which refers to "Trial" playing on the wing. Would that have been him?

Thank you,

Ian

In all the games I listed above your Grandfather was named in the team. However on two occasions that season (4th April at home to Armadale and 18th April at home to Arthurlie), East Fife's Outside Right was listed as "Newman". This could have been your Grandfather.