Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Robbo's future ?

On Radio Scotland's sports news this morning. "John Robertson's name has been put forward for the vacant Hibernian manager's position"

Re: Robbo's future ?

sid the sexist
On Radio Scotland's sports news this morning. "John Robertson's name has been put forward for the vacant Hibernian manager's position"
Oh ya cunt!! Cheers for making me laugh so much on this miserable Sun morning.

A 2 page article in the sunday mail.The headline Robbo i want hibees job.Saying he hasnot applied for job but his name has been put forward by someone and it is on rod petries desk.He better hope rod petrie wasnot at the strathclyde homes stadium yesterday as he wouldnt believe how someone could manage a team who puts in so little effort and look totally dis interested.

It's on the cover of Scotland On Sunday's sport section.'Robbo opens up' ,"My CV is in for the Hibs job" Intervied by Moira Gordon when collecting the Irn Bru second division manager of the month award, on pages 6 & 7

when collecting the Irn Bru second division manager of the month award

Nae flippin wonder we got humped yesterday!! That trophy is cursed, I tell you!!

Is this the same Robbo who was bemoaning the travelling back and forth to Methil?

Judith Chalmers
Is this the same Robbo who was bemoaning the travelling back and forth to Methil?

The Hibs job would be full time so he wouldn't be working in Inverness and would move to Edinburgh.

Not exactly great for team morale when your manager says he wants another job publicly. Yes we know he wants to leave...well leave now I am afraid. Don't think the board will be too impressed about him saying he wants another job. Tell him thanks for everything he has done and he has done a great job, but for the sake of the team and the morale, hand it over to Gordon Durie. If he isn't ready then they have to find someone who is

i dont think durie would be the answer.

arrant
i dont think durie would be the answer.

100% would not be the answer! We need experience!

I'm a Robbo fan and appreciate all the hard work he has put in, he's a very knowledgeable football man and the cup run this season was a great achievement for the club. We had also went five matches unbeaten in the league prior to the Cowden game.

The big problem for me now though is that the club, the players and the fans need a wee bit of stability. Robbo is making journeys from Inverness to Fife that most other people wouldn't even consider. He's made no secret about the fact that he can't keep this up and he's also interested in managing again at a higher level. All totally understandable.

I feel the club should at least now invite people to apply for the job as manager of East Fife. Once the snow comes there's no way Robbo can continue making the journey that he does anyway. Invite Durie to apply, sure. But don't just hand him the job as there's plenty good coaches and experienced football people out there that would be interested in the job.

I personally would like to see us bring someone in who could help develop our youth system and give us a more solid foundation. A big worry for me is that certain players can motivate themselves to outplay and beat SPL sides but struggle to repeat this in the second division. Motivation should never be an issue when playing your table topping local rivals.

Worst thing we can do now is sit and wait for Robbo to quit, then hand the job to Durie on a plate. Lets see who is out there and who would be interested in taking the job, and what they can offer.

Searching for the ten pence off lenor
I'm a Robbo fan and appreciate all the hard work he has put in, he's a very knowledgeable football man and the cup run this season was a great achievement for the club. We had also went five matches unbeaten in the league prior to the Cowden game.

The big problem for me now though is that the club, the players and the fans need a wee bit of stability. Robbo is making journeys from Inverness to Fife that most other people wouldn't even consider. He's made no secret about the fact that he can't keep this up and he's also interested in managing again at a higher level. All totally understandable.

I feel the club should at least now invite people to apply for the job as manager of East Fife. Once the snow comes there's no way Robbo can continue making the journey that he does anyway. Invite Durie to apply, sure. But don't just hand him the job as there's plenty good coaches and experienced football people out there that would be interested in the job.

I personally would like to see us bring someone in who could help develop our youth system and give us a more solid foundation. A big worry for me is that certain players can motivate themselves to outplay and beat SPL sides but struggle to repeat this in the second division. Motivation should never be an issue when playing your table topping local rivals.

Worst thing we can do now is sit and wait for Robbo to quit, then hand the job to Durie on a plate. Lets see who is out there and who would be interested in taking the job, and what they can offer.

Quite simply spot-on!! Good managers who are without clubs are out there and may take a chance on dropping to 2nd Division level in order to get them back into the game.

Fat Doug
Judith Chalmers

The Hibs job would be full time so he wouldn't be working in Inverness and would move to Edinburgh.

Silly me,never thought of that.

Robbo is making journeys from Inverness to Fife that most other people wouldn't even consider. He's made no secret about the fact that he can't keep this up and he's also interested in managing again at a higher level. All totally understandable.

Heres one that has.Travelled back and forth 5 days a week for a year.Totally irrelevant I know but just to let you know it is sustainable

Searching for the ten pence off lenor

Pretty much agree with everything you've said. Sheer common sense. I'd 'let Robbo go' now though, thanks and good luck. Nothing to be gained on the park or in the dressing room by prolonging his stay (until he decides/is able to move on).

Davie Clarke please till the end of the season....

He's the man for your second last paragraph.

Cheap, East Fife-daft, man-manager, disciplinarian, still coaching, passionate....one of the greatest players to wear the black and gold.

In my opinion I would like to see David Weir as player/assistant manager helping out Durie if he gets the job but I dont suppose that's going to happen.

The problem for me, when is juke box going to be ready? You cant tell me that robbo has to come down twice a week to take training, what does juke box do during training. If he is going to be the next manager he must be able to follow robbos's instructions and pass on who is looking good in training. I struggle to understand robbo doing all this travelling and moaning, and we have a guy who is going to be our next manager at any time cannot be trusted to take training sessions, worrying times!!!

Jimmy Calderwood. What's Steve Archibald upty these days?

The call for Davie Clarke is commendable it but I wonder if we have forgetten our reputation in the 1980s as the most defensive team in Scotland. The offside trap was regularly used on the halfway line. We were slated and hated for it.
Davie was a gifted manager but he had his downside too.

Hmm, two very close promotions to the Premier League suggests Clarke knew what he was doing. I would take a bit of defensive solidity, not giving away stupid goals and being a strong 1st division side that stood toe to toe with the likes of Dunfermline, Falkirk, Kilmarnock etc any day thank you.

Well, I'm quite sure we wouldn't be sitting with the worst goal difference in the league, as we are now (with Scotland's U21 keeper), with Dave Clarke. We've got talented players who lack motivation/consistent performances and discipline. He would do something with this squad. Man management is what's needed. The players/squad are/is there to win the league but we are so far from it, it's ridiculous. Someone hit the nail on the head - it's motivation. SPL cup games, quite obviously take care of themselves. Home and away to Dumbarton cleary doesn't.

Saturday`s team selection will be interesting. There should be at least 3 changes but will there be?

Ridgers and Ogleby will be two obvious Robbo changes.

St Pauli Fifer
Well, I'm quite sure we wouldn't be sitting with the worst goal difference in the league, as we are now (with Scotland's U21 keeper), with Dave Clarke. We've got talented players who lack motivation/consistent performances and discipline. He would do something with this squad. Man management is what's needed. The players/squad are/is there to win the league but we are so far from it, it's ridiculous. Someone hit the nail on the head - it's motivation. SPL cup games, quite obviously take care of themselves. Home and away to Dumbarton cleary doesn't.

I am surprised that you want has been clarke back thought you might have wanted james allan as manager

Will they be allowed to play in the Scottish Cup as loan players, although I would not imagine they being cup-tied will be a problem for Hearts?! While I rate Ridgers, did you see the goal he lost against Holland? Unfortunately when a keeper makes a mistake, it is usually costly. He does the biz for me, though. As far as Ogleby is concerned, why should it be obvious that he will come back into the team? In saying that I have no doubt that he will replace Hissy on Saturday (Robbo cant see past him)but recently like me some others have considered Ogleby not worthy of a place. As another post has covered, he is amongst the players, who, IMO, are not playing consistently well to warrant a place. Others have also felt that a place on the bench will perhaps give him the kick up the backside he needs so that improved performances from him (and others)will benefit the Fife.

I dont have any problems with robbos ambition to get back to the top flight in football management.The majority of people in their working life have ambition to get to the top of their proffesion.He has been good for east fife and raised our profile,he has brought some success in our cup runs this season,and was unlucky not to make the play offs last season.You have to admire his dedication to the game travelling from Inverness 3 times a week.As he said in his after match comments on saturday he and durie are taking it on the chin from the fans,but the players are not replicating what has been done in training on match days.That must be what is so annoying for him that he has put in all that effort and the players only bother trying when it suits them.If and when robbo decides to go i dont see a problem with gordon durie taken over.He has played football at the top level in both england and scotland,and had a glittering career.He must have picked up a wealth of knowledge from a career we could only dream of.He certainly looked very animated and annoyed from the side lines on saturday.We all knew that robbo was at east fife to raise his profile,so he could get a chance at full time management again.I will be sad when he does decide to go because i have trusted his judgement,and honesty.When we were on our good run he told the players who were not playing that he couldnt change a winning team,after saturday i think he will welcome some of these lads back.

I agree with every thing you said Neil,Robbo has done a marvellous job here,and I am looking forward to Gordon doing a good job here as well,but it is always the same fans that want rid of managers when they do something or say something they do not like,spf keeps on wanting Clarkie back,I like Davie as a person but not any longer as a manager.If spf does not like someone he targets them on here,it is about time the mods do something about this and it is not just spf others too,but he seems to be the main culprit.

Zak....fuck off. Who the fuck am I, and have I been, targeting ??

Yeah lets curtain freedom of speech Zak and get the moderators involved just cause you don't like what someone else is saying. What an absurd thing to say. Were you in the Stasi in a former life? Do you admire Robert Mugabe perchance? SPF is stating an opinion, is not being defamatory in any way and quite a few here agree with him. Just live with it.

Surely Gordon Duries cv from his playing career qualifies him to have a crack at management in the scottish second division.All right he is untried in management but he has to start somewhere.When you look at the managers in our league only really robbo and jockie scott got good management expierience.He will have good contacts in the game and can use this to tap into the loan system.Look at cameron at cowdenbeath in his first job in management seems to be doing ok.I have to say Gordon Durie is well qualified to manage East Fife.He will also have respect from players after what he achieved in the game,he will also bring his own ideas about formations and motivating the playing staff.

St Pauli Fifer

see you saturday

zak
St Pauli Fifer

see you saturday

1, 2, 3 - FFFFFIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTT!!!

The Dude
Yeah lets curtain freedom of speech Zak and get the moderators involved just cause you don't like what someone else is saying. What an absurd thing to say. Were you in the Stasi in a former life? Do you admire Robert Mugabe perchance? SPF is stating an opinion, is not being defamatory in any way and quite a few here agree with him. Just live with it.

What he said Zak (apart from the absurd and Stasi bit!)! SPF (however much I agree or disagree with things he says) doesn't warrant his posts being removed/banned or whatever. Opinions differ from person to person and that's what causes discussion on the forum.

No fight sat, SPF working or over slept from the night before. SPF, loves they key board.

Fat Doug
zak
St Pauli Fifer

see you saturday

1, 2, 3 - FFFFFIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTT!!!

Who said anything about a fight I just said see you sat,I was going to tell him who he was ,as he said (Who the fuck am I)

I asked, "Who the f**k am I......targeting ??"

Use better grammar then boy!

I know Robbo has alot commitments with the Edinburgh clubs after playing and managing Hearts but personally i think he staying at the Fife as Hibs want managers from Ireland instead of managers in Div 1 or 2 and those like Jeffries & Jimmy Calderwood whos out the job aswell. So theres no need to panic, hes doing very good Job with us so roll on!

We all know SPF is full of the preverbial as he has shat it from Hissy after last season. Loves hiding behind his computer. Zak, twice SPF's age, dont get in a confrontation as SPF will talk his way out as he doesn't even go to home and away games. Cyber hide and seek fan. Cant wait for his reply

Stirling Albion confirm that they have received 15 genuine/credible expressions of interest for their vacant manager position. They have a much poorer budget than us, much poorer squad and are bottom of the league. Granted they have a geographical advantage, but it shows there are many football people out there who are interested in managing in senior football.

Haven't heard anything about the Robertson/Durie situation recently but I still fear we'll hand the reigns to Durie without even seeing who is out there first.

Are the board being pro active about the long term management of the team or will they simply wait until Robbo decides to call it a day to make a decision? The only person I've heard saying Durie will take over was Robbo.