Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hearts predicament.

Have to feel sorry for the Hearts players. No money coming in to these young men, most with families to provide for and Xmas just around the corner. Hearts fans must be worried for the future of their club. Ian black is working part time helping out his painter/decorater friend. I hope he doesn't get hurt doing that as insurance can be fickle on what full time players can do during spare time.

Good luck to Hearts and I hope they get through this. Too much history, stadium and support base for Scotland to lose them.

Re: Hearts predicament.

People not getting paid,struggling to make ends meet,families to support in trying times?Well I`m not having it!Fuck the sympathy!These cunts should be signing up for the East Fife Direct Debit scheme!No fuckin` excuses.Lets push on and make history again!!!!C`MON YA BAAAAAAAASTAAAAAARDSSSSSS!!!!!

Where's your Xmas spirit? Their employed and not getting paid. If your company (assuming your working) didn't pay you for three months, how would you manage. You should donate some of your benefits to the Hearts squad.

I have no sympathy for them if anything it will bring them back down to earth. What's the bet 99% of the squad don't give a toss about the average fan working hard all week to afford the money to see them.

How much money have these players probably squandered on watches clothes cars etc. this might make them appreciate what they have now and make them better players.

Tbh i'm more concerned about our loan players being recalled.

C'mon Taggart, Edinburgh is not the cheapest place to buy or rent property. Banks have no sympathy either and some of these guys can lose their house if this is not sorted out. I've been out of work and struggled, wondering if I would get a job or not. If you've been through it, or going through it then surely we can understand their predicament.

Taggart
I have no sympathy for them if anything it will bring them back down to earth. What's the bet 99% of the squad don't give a toss about the average fan working hard all week to afford the money to see them.

How much money have these players probably squandered on watches clothes cars etc. this might make them appreciate what they have now and make them better players.

They still have the right to be paid on time for their job, regardless of the perception of being very well renumerated for their efforts.

The rules should be changed so that the SPL/SFA can deal with this sort of thing without the players having to sign a mandate for their union to start action.

Romanov is not fit to run a club.

East Fife till a die
Tbh i'm more concerned about our loan players being recalled.

Not worth worrying about. Brown is a good goalie and we've got McQuade to play up front. Park won't play again this season anyway.

S-Pat
Taggart

They still have the right to be paid on time for their job, regardless of the perception of being very well renumerated for their efforts.

The rules should be changed so that the SPL/SFA can deal with this sort of thing without the players having to sign a mandate for their union to start action.

Romanov is not fit to run a club.

I read that last bit about Romanov not being fit to run the club, which i totally agree with btw, and it makes me wonder about the SFA fit and proper person rule about owning a club. At the time when he took over the club, i'm sure there was some sort of due diligence process done to assess if he was a fit and proper person, but is this just a one off thing? surely his antics since then in withholding players wages, numerous outbursts in the media, treatment of managers who are relieved of their duties on a yearly basis, is detrimental to scottish football, and as such would put pressure on whether or not he still qualified as a fit and proper person?

I have been in a similar situation but my point is most of these players don't live in the real world even at a club like Hearts and it won't kill them to go get a second job and actually work for a living.

Am sorry I just can't feel sorry for them. Im being forced into extra pension payments which will affect me for the rest of my working life but am just getting on with it.

This has turned into an interesting debate with some good posts. Seems that most posts have no sympathy for the Hearts players at the moment. I am looking at it as a contractual situation and that's why I feel they are being treated badly. They are under contract to do a job of playing football and training every day. In normal circumstances they would not be allowed to take a second job. No employer would hire them anyway as they would maybe breaking the law by officially hiring them while they are employed by a football club fulltime.

Ian Black was working with a relative who has a business, not all players have this opportunity. If I went out to work every day and wasn't getting paid and have to then take another job?. Not a great situation. I know a lot of people that do more than one job but at least they get paid for each job.

Another point is that these guys have never really had a job other than football and fulltime clubs in Scotland don't prepare them for the real world when they retire from football or are released from the club due to injury or not required.

A take that point you are correct but its upto the players to make contingency plans. Have they bought a modest home and saved money wisely contributing towards a pension or have they bleached their wags hair everything week and thrown money at getting their initials on the interior of their expensive cars?

A mate of mine was at a charity night at Hearts which the youth team attended. The players were all under 18 but were nothing but unpleasant to others there trying to raise money for a good cause. The youth players were head to toe in gucci with huge watches. its the Scottish mentality they think they have made it too soon and stop puting in the hard work. Just think this will give all players the kick up the arse many of them need!

Good point Taggart. Straight from the horses mouth. As I said, these young men are not being prepared for the real world. They get no financial discipline/investment advice. They go from minimum wage to £4000+/week, a hell of a lot of money for a young lad who without advice can go too far with the borrowings that that amount can generate. They then are in trouble when they get released to go part time, then make excessive demands from part time clubs to try and make ends meet.

Case for minimum wage with win/performance bonuses to bring the bigger money in??

i did feel sorry for ian black having to work with his friend doing painting and decorating to make money for xmas(i was joking). he works a monday what was wrong with other days if he was struggling What a publicty stunt,poor ian. Black has a poor diciplinary record is it possible he is helping out his friend when not playing!! if he would like to work more i need my living room painted and he would be paid with cash immediatly.

The Sky ticker says, "All outstanding players' wages for November have been paid."

Aye but they dinnae have any outstanding players.