Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Albion Game OFF

The referee has just decided that todays' game against Albion Rovers should be postponed.

He feels there is some hardness on the pitch and so there is a risk to players.

Re: Albion Game OFF

Damn! Thanks for letting us know, eugene.

Thanks Eugene. Saved me setting off on a 95 mile round trip.

This is turning into a poofs sport, fuck all wrong with ma grass outside and thats what mouldies are made for. Saturday withoot the fitbaw especially a home game is crap.

Edit: The suns even coming out now ffs can't be that good for East Fife's finances either to postpone this game and play it midweek so a complaint would be worthwhile about these amatuer refs calling games off far too early.

Rant over noo..

Agree Baz. No bad weather forecast and by 15.00hrs would have been fine. Some hardness which could be a danger to players? If we can't play in this, then summer Footie is the only way to go!!!
By the way, I have a barometer and pressure is steadily climbing, going to be a fine afternoon.

Just to let yous know that our pitch at Cliftonhill would have been playable this afternoon.

Wee Boab - Albion's Groundsman
Just to let yous know that our pitch at Cliftonhill would have been playable this afternoon.

That pitch hasnae been playable for 25 year.

Because of the weather I never even thought to check if the game was on or not and turned up at 1.30. A couple of the directors I spoke to were spitting feathers as they said that there were a couple of hard patches but overall the pitch was perfectly playable. That's now loss of gate money (midweek game ?)hospitality and bar revenue etc,overhead costs which will still need to be paid and £400 for programme printing which would otherwise have ended up with the club.
Based on what was being said this decision really takes the biscuit. The people who are supposedly running this game and their employees seem to be the people who least understand that the game is dying and that the cause of death will certainly be mismanagement. To say I am am pissed off at the moment is an understatement.

If the Referee is putting it off today he is almost saying that you won't be able to play ahome game in the next 2/3 months [when conditions will be worse.]
The Sfa and Sfl really do need to take a look at their procedures.
This decision makes me wonder if leaving it solely to the Referee is the best way.

I worry that if we move to summer football games will be called off if pitchs become to hard. A total farce calling of a game on a day like this

It's only going to get worse! It's beyond belief that we play thru the Winter and have no football during our warmest Months.

Most of the amateur games today were left to the referee's discretion when they turned up for kick-off. Amateur matches kick off at 2pm, so the players typically turn up at 1pm and the referee comes along at 1.45pm. In the end, nearly all the games were called off by the referees once they turned up.

I'd rather be in the situation where a game was called off at 11am by a referee than have to go through the process of turning up and waiting for 45 minutes before knowing if a game will take place.

Given the conditions underfoot, especially in bare areas such as goalmouths, postponements today were no surprise, even at New Bayview.

I suppose the hard areas on the pitch will be in front of the stand.Why build a stand facing north.It keeps the pitch shaded in parts and everybody is nice and cold to watch the football.Previously discussed a cover up the side of the stand.

why not knock the stand down then
fukwit

Bring back Morris Aitken and his baseball boots.
They seemed to do the trick at the old bayview.

Arthur Amateur
Most of the amateur games today were left to the referee's discretion when they turned up for kick-off. Amateur matches kick off at 2pm, so the players typically turn up at 1pm and the referee comes along at 1.45pm. In the end, nearly all the games were called off by the referees once they turned up.

Firstly, think id be saying something, if I ran an amateur team and the ref appeared 15 mins to kick off. They have costs too and would be well peed off if that happened.

Secondly, vast majority of the council parks were put off on Friday. I don't know how this is done but probably one or two parks looked at and a decision made on mass. This is on the council website on a Friday. Would also think the clubs and associations are informed.

topper
I suppose the hard areas on the pitch will be in front of the stand.Why build a stand facing north.It keeps the pitch shaded in parts and everybody is nice and cold to watch the football.Previously discussed a cover up the side of the stand.

It wasnt the stand side that was frozen as this HAD been covered!!! it was the goalmouths which the ref had said were too dangerous.

Mini
topper

It wasnt the stand side that was frozen as this HAD been covered!!! it was the goalmouths which the ref had said were too dangerous.

What was it covered with ?

The name says it all.

Thanks for your comments, Mike Gill. Sadly, the state of refereeing in the amateur game is very bad. The problem is that most of the brightest and best referees are promoted very quickly and what is left in the lower amateur divisions will never go anywhere. This is perhaps fine for some, they don't want to climb to junior or senior but in the end, they let their standards slip because promotion is not on their agenda. Arrival at parks just before kick-off is commonplace and their attitude towards the game is poor.