Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Willie Wyles

Older supporters will probably remember Willie Wyles playing for East Fife in the 1962/63.
He died suddenly at home on Friday.
Willie was a local who was also well known in bowling circles.
He played 34 games for East Fife and scored 5 goals.
Thanks to Jim Corstorphine for the football information.

Re: Willie Wyles

I wasn't aware that Willie had played for East Fife, but have gathered a lot of detail over the past few days on his bowling achievements.

We'll have a tribute piece in the Mail on Wednesday.

Willie played a further three league games and the League Cup Quarter Final first leg against Rangers at Bayview the following season before leaving the club. He later signed for Brechin City.
In total he made 29 League appearances, 5 League Cup appearances and 4 in the Scottish Cup (including the much postponed Third Lanark tie).

RIP Willie

Statto is correct, Jim - I only gave you the appearances for his full season with the Fife.
Willie’s Senior career started with Brechin City, for whom he signed in June 1960 from Windygates. He was a first team regular at Glebe Park during season 1960/61, making 42 first team appearances and scoring ten goals. The following season he was transferred to Falkirk, but never really managed to establish himself as a first team regular and subsequently signed for East Fife in August 1962. Willie made 34 appearances for the Fife during season 1962/63, scoring five goals in the process, but shortly after the start of the following season (like Statto said, after just three league games and one League Cup game) he returned to Glebe Park for a second spell with Brechin City.
Willie’s Senior career ended with Gala Fairydean in the East of Scotland League, before turning Junior and signing for Thornton Hibs in November 1971.

did wullie not come from coaltown of weymss,worked wi a guy that knew him well(Bruce Mccall) another bowler

Willie was indeed from the Coaltown, I knew Willie through the bowling. He was a legendary figure at Methil Bowling Club and East Fife Indoor Bowling Club and will be sorely missed.

When I was a young player at East Fife Indoor, Willie was the guy that everyone aimed to emulate but very few ever could. He was a national champion at both indoor and outdoor bowling and represented the Scotland Indoor Senior Team.

Aside from his many sporting achievements Willie was a great guy and I'm proud to have known him.