Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Match Off

Dumbarton Game is off because of high winds

Re: Match Off

Ouch!

Late call off, plus no radio Scotland today means many folk won't find out until they reach the stadium. Especially disappointing for the traveling fans and means east fife loose out on the bumper crowd.

I'm all for call offs when safety of players and fans is at risk, but I wonder if that was the basis of today's decision. Or was the fear that the wind would spoil the game........would we notice?!?!

Someone on P&B saying it was due to structural damage?

ure having a laugh !!!

Christ It's a good thing I checked or I'd be on me way.

I'm truly getting sick of this. Does the club actually want to play it's matches? Are we so well off we can afford to postpone games on flimsy excuses like high winds? I remember a game v Partick Thistle in the mid 70's when the game was played in a constant 60 mph gale and nobody whinged about fan and player safety then. In fact it turned out to be a great game and one of the best of the season!

Wait till the weather gets really bad and games are off for genuine reasons. All we'll then hear is the manager moaning about fixture pile ups and Collumbine complaining that we're one match away from financial ruin.

I won't be able to be back for the midweek rearranged games and, and...ah fuck it!

You have been watching games since the 1970s and you still don't know that it is the referee who calls a game off, not the home club?

Ok so it appears the ref called this off. Does he really know how the wind will be at kick off time? Is he Michael Fish in disguise or something? The sensible thing at this late stage would have been to have started the match and assess things from then. At least we would have seen some football and then had more sympathy if the game had to be abandoned. As it is this is another joke decision. No wonder fans get pissed off and can't be arsed going to games any more.

Oh and it is it not windy in Arbroath or Dundee or anywhere else with games scheduled today?

The most irritating point about this is mid morning the winds and driving rain were much worse than when i arrived at bayview at 2 30.I cannot and willnot accept that the game should have been called of much earlier as anyone with half a brain knew that the winds were not going to die down anytime soon.That isnot even taking into consideration the good football people of dumbarton and how they have been treated makes you realise how crowds are fallen of the raider at stadiums.Someone should hang their head in shame and realise that it is supporters who are the life blood of the game.

I heard evacuation sirens coming from bayview so structural damage may have happened

As the wind has been a constant feature over the past few days and the forecast for this afternoon was no change, how is it that a weather related call off can be made only 1 hour before kick off? I only had to travel a few miles, just feel sorry for the Dumbarton fans who travelled and the club who will clearly be out of pocket.
I think the ref should be instructed to defend his decision publicly.
Thoroughly pissed off!

I still cant understand how this decision wasnot reached earlier surely they have to take travelling fans into consideration.It was clear from early this morning that a game of football next to the seaside was a joke of an idea.For what its worth i agree it should have been off but i cannot defend east fife taking so long to reach the obvious decision when their opponents are travelling 100 miles very poor show.

I support East Fife and drove over from Edinburgh to find the match off...!!!

People were still arriving as I left.

What time was it called off - must have been very late - two fingers to the fans, players from the ref as usual.

Really gutted for the club that this happened. Big front page advert for boxing day hospitality in this week's East Fife Mail too. Loss of income is going to be a big hit

With Airdrie and Brechin winning we're now 3rd bottom. Cowden away next (a certain defeat as usual nae doubt) and a fixture pile up to boot. Not looking forward to the rest of the season.

And a happy New Year to everyone!

what about all the people who spent good hard earend cash to get through there surely the winds just not get up like that

Can I just stress that the decision to call off the match was most emphatically NOT taken by the club.

We are subject to the referee's judgement and that's that.

There was an unrelated fault with the fire alarm system which meant all sorts of curious messages were being announced but there was no damage to any part of the club.

Speaking personally I probably am responsible as I'd booked the Legends suite for today - and I'd done the same last year at New Year when the game was also called off!

Really really hacked off
Ok so it appears the ref called this off. Does he really know how the wind will be at kick off time? Is he Michael Fish in disguise or something? The sensible thing at this late stage would have been to have started the match and assess things from then. At least we would have seen some football and then had more sympathy if the game had to be abandoned. As it is this is another joke decision. No wonder fans get pissed off and can't be arsed going to games any more.

Oh and it is it not windy in Arbroath or Dundee or anywhere else with games scheduled today?

Not windy in Arbroath. . . .famous last words!

The Dude
With Airdrie and Brechin winning we're now 3rd bottom. Cowden away next (a certain defeat as usual nae doubt) and a fixture pile up to boot. Not looking forward to the rest of the season.

But don't forget, we had a fixture pile up starting this time last year, went bottom and still almost got to the play offs with a great 4 months!

Don't won't to be bottom, of course,and hopefully at least a play off spot in May, after a fine cup run too!

See you all at Cowdenbeath!

mike gill
The Dude

But don't forget, we had a fixture pile up starting this time last year, went bottom and still almost got to the play offs with a great 4 months!

Don't won't to be bottom, of course,and hopefully at least a play off spot in May, after a fine cup run too!

See you all at Cowdenbeath!

Well said Mike.
Can't believe because we get a game postponed some think that we're doomed.

Bit of a kick in the teeth to the supporters tbh. Bit windy but witnessed far worse.
Call the game off early if there's any doubt to save people travelling. Some may say otherwise when its icy and there may be a chance of a thaw, but at least it saves the unnecessary journey and expense to the fans.
ALso, East Fife, please let the fans inside the stadium know that the games been called off. I was in the bar downstairs and wouldn't have been any the wiser if another supporter hadn't announced it.

Poor decision by the officials and also by the lack of announcement by the club.
No wonder punters are deserting the game.
The clubs need to put more pressure on the SFA and league as this is becoming farcical.

Whats on at the Odeon next match day
Bit of a kick in the teeth to the supporters tbh. Bit windy but witnessed far worse.
Call the game off early if there's any doubt to save people travelling. Some may say otherwise when its icy and there may be a chance of a thaw, but at least it saves the unnecessary journey and expense to the fans.
ALso, East Fife, please let the fans inside the stadium know that the games been called off. I was in the bar downstairs and wouldn't have been any the wiser if another supporter hadn't announced it.

Poor decision by the officials and also by the lack of announcement by the club.
No wonder punters are deserting the game.
The clubs need to put more pressure on the SFA and league as this is becoming farcical.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Beginning of December 2011

The Scottish Football Association confirmed on Monday that referees do not have the authority to call games off due to high winds, even when extreme weather threatens to render the contest farcical.

Certainly not the club`s fault! Summer football and the odd Fri night k.o would do wonders for Scottish football, esp lower league. It`s only a matter of time! Here`s hoping the players have been training and are up for the Cowden game.