Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
would you believe it

Total disregard for the fans again. Yes, it was the ref's decision to postpone the game,but both managers agreed with it. Never mind the fans, eh? And it's true tht the club didn't even have the courtesy to let the fans in the downstairs bar know the game was off. Second week in a row I've spent most of the morning travelling by bus to see a match which in times past would most certainly have been played. When will the powers that be realise that if the game is played in winter, games will inevitably have to be played in less than ideal conditions. Totally brassed off and I definitely will not be going to the Cowden match. In the future I am much less likely to travel to home games if the weather is less than balmy.

Re: would you believe it

Having traipsed over for the last 2 home games I have agreat deal of sympathy for the above comments.
Don't blame East Fife ,feel it is the Sfa /Sfl responsible.On both occasions ,games have been played in far worse conditions.
Referees seem to be putting games off [ and collecting a nice fee in the process],when there is any doubt.
If we are stuck with playing in the winter,surely Referees should try to play if at all possible.
Don't know who "xmas moaner" is but similarly 4 of us decided not to go to Cowdenbeath since we have no confidence in the decision making of Referees.

Scottish football is dying on its' feet and the cavalier attitude of the governing bodies to fans is making things worse.
Felt for the Dumbarton fans as that is 3 times now that there have beeen late calloffs.

Stuart McCall has said he wont name his team for tomorrow until he finds out how windy it is.WTF.

why is there always a blame culture on this forum?

The referee will have arrived 90 minutes before kick off. He would have called it as he saw it at the time. On what was evident yesterday, the game would have been farcical. But was it like that before 1330? Yes. Did the club request an early inspection? No!

Both managers knew it would have been farcical and both were in agreement.

This was unfortunate but I think the right decision made. Would you have been happy if the game was played and we lost. No! It would have been full of comments of why was the game on, blah blah coz about 90% of the comments on here are constant moaners! And I count myself at times on this!

Had it been like arbroath, you would have paid £13 for 30 mins, no refund possibly and full of "why not call it off sooner". This happened before when they tried to clear the lined of snow during the game and it was abandoned about 15 mins in ( may gave been Dumbarton as well!)

In conclusion, no matter what happened yesterday, there would be someone moaning it was the wrong thing to do.

Unfortunately its not the first time this has happened and won't be the last. Unfortunately there is no one simple answer as each situation us different.

Sometimes you just have to accept it and move on.

Oh and I will be at cowdenbeath!

It was Montrose Mike.
Game kicked off at 3, snow started at 3.05, lines obliterated by 3.15, game abandoned 3.17, snow stopped at 3.30 & the sky was blue by 3.40!

Summer football , PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

The fact that you have chosen this thread to declare that there is a blame culture prevalent on AFTN suggests that these are your examples. To me they read as reasonable opinions on how the decision affected two particular fans. Hardly a surprise that you think the referee made the correct decision. Was the referee's decision correct for the Albion Rover's game as well when at least three of the EF directors and those involved in preparing the pitch opined that, with a minimum of work, the pitch was playable.

Your suggestion that clubs/fans just have to "accept it and move on" indicates that financial survival
for clubs is not a factor which referees or their employers consider when making on/off decisions.

These two games will ultimately cost EF as much as £15K and I would assume a short term cash flow problem. EF will no doubt survive these two decisions but with the game in such a financial mess two similar decisions may be the last straw for another club.
Maybe these were two occassions where the weather would not have contributed much to good football but personally I would have risked watching two mediocre games when the alternative was EF losing £15K.
The fans in hospitality certainly did not want the game cancelled. Most of the people around me in the lounge didn't want the game cancelled. Dumbarton supporters I spoke to didn't want the game cancelled.
Club Directors I spoke to didn't want the game cancelled. I guess that if asked the players would have been quite happy to play. But hey ! what do these collective opinions matter,they will just have to accept it and move on.

I am just a bit concerned that "accept it and move on" summarises how our game is being run from on high.

mr305
Summer football , PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

100% correct.Summer football is the ONLY option.

Not The Other Chairman
The fact that you have chosen this thread to declare that there is a blame culture prevalent on AFTN suggests that these are your examples. To me they read as reasonable opinions on how the decision affected two particular fans. Hardly a surprise that you think the referee made the correct decision. Was the referee's decision correct for the Albion Rover's game as well when at least three of the EF directors and those involved in preparing the pitch opined that, with a minimum of work, the pitch was playable.

Your suggestion that clubs/fans just have to "accept it and move on" indicates that financial survival
for clubs is not a factor which referees or their employers consider when making on/off decisions.

These two games will ultimately cost EF as much as £15K and I would assume a short term cash flow problem. EF will no doubt survive these two decisions but with the game in such a financial mess two similar decisions may be the last straw for another club.
Maybe these were two occassions where the weather would not have contributed much to good football but personally I would have risked watching two mediocre games when the alternative was EF losing £15K.
The fans in hospitality certainly did not want the game cancelled. Most of the people around me in the lounge didn't want the game cancelled. Dumbarton supporters I spoke to didn't want the game cancelled.
Club Directors I spoke to didn't want the game cancelled. I guess that if asked the players would have been quite happy to play. But hey ! what do these collective opinions matter,they will just have to accept it and move on.

I am just a bit concerned that "accept it and move on" summarises how our game is being run from on high.

TOC

Accept that in these difficult times for fans and the club, every penny is vital.

The blame point was intended to say that a vast majority of posts on the forum try to blame someone, in general (player, manager, fan, club official). Both posts above mine make valid points and wasn't intended as exact examples. You could go through most points in the forum and someone is taken to task.

For the points re refs. I get frustrated at games off for whatever reason. I don't do it lightly when on games and try everything possible to keep a game on. Maybe seeing it from a refs point, I can have a bit of sympathy for officials.

If the club thinks there may be a doubt, it is the clubs responsiblity to inform the respective association that an early inspection is needed. This is what happened with Albion and forfar twice. In these cases, an early inspection and call off meant minimum disruption. Unfortunately this will reflect on less attendance during midweek but that's nobodys fault. Hence accept and move on.

My last bit wasn't meant to be flippant. Despite the wellmeaning of a lot of people trying to do what they can, games go off.

The carry on at dunfermline the other week summed it up. Ref calls game off, chairman blames ref for lost income, his fault, her fault, but someone had to make a decision. Some you get in your favour, some not. As long as every effort has been made, sometimes you have to accept it.

But take on board you balanced comments. Its what the forum should be about

zeitgeistmovie.com
100% correct.Summer football is the ONLY option.

Eh since when did Scottish summers become wind and rain free?

When do events or games get postponed during summer ?

The last time we had pre season friendlies arranged in Durham. The rain poured the whole weekend and the town centre was flooded when the river burst it's banks. Mind you a great time was had by all who managed to get there.

mike gill
Not The Other Chairman

TOC

Accept that in these difficult times for fans and the club, every penny is vital.

The blame point was intended to say that a vast majority of posts on the forum try to blame someone, in general (player, manager, fan, club official). Both posts above mine make valid points and wasn't intended as exact examples. You could go through most points in the forum and someone is taken to task.

For the points re refs. I get frustrated at games off for whatever reason. I don't do it lightly when on games and try everything possible to keep a game on. Maybe seeing it from a refs point, I can have a bit of sympathy for officials.

If the club thinks there may be a doubt, it is the clubs responsiblity to inform the respective association that an early inspection is needed. This is what happened with Albion and forfar twice. In these cases, an early inspection and call off meant minimum disruption. Unfortunately this will reflect on less attendance during midweek but that's nobodys fault. Hence accept and move on.

My last bit wasn't meant to be flippant. Despite the wellmeaning of a lot of people trying to do what they can, games go off.

The carry on at dunfermline the other week summed it up. Ref calls game off, chairman blames ref for lost income, his fault, her fault, but someone had to make a decision. Some you get in your favour, some not. As long as every effort has been made, sometimes you have to accept it.

But take on board you balanced comments. Its what the forum should be about

Arse licker.