Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
first senior football game

I remember vaguely my first game that I was taken to,it was between East Fife and Kilmarnock in a Scottish cup tie in the early 60,s I think.The score was 0-0 and East Fife lost the replay.Can anyone supply me with some information about the game and who was playing for either side that day.I also remember a man coming into the ground with a black suit and painted yellow stripes on it with a black and yellow top hat.Any info would be appreciated.

Re: first senior football game

Sat 20th Feb. 1965

East Fife 0v0 Kilmarnock

Lost the replay 3-0 on the 24th.

Jim C. is the man for the Lineups!!!

And the guy in the suit sounds like Angusfifer, I'm sure he still digs the hat out for cup games!!!

thanks.

Scottish Cup Second Round

Hamilton, Stirrat, Smith, Aitken, Walker, Donnelly, Rodger, Dewar, Young, Stewart, Waddell

Attendance was 9,003.

NB No Fife fan would wear yellow

Thought I might have been able to supply the Killie line-up, but unfortunately not.
All I can add is that East Fife manager Jimmy Bonthrone used the (then) novel tactic of playing Jimmy Walker and Jake Young as twin central defenders.
(Striped suit and bowler hat, you say? Eugene - were you attending matches at Bayview in the 60's? )

Jim, Was the Bayview game televised by STV? I seem to remember scaffolding set up on the terrace opposite the main stand. The enclosure was not yet built at hat time.

Tom
Jim, Was the Bayview game televised by STV? I seem to remember scaffolding set up on the terrace opposite the main stand. The enclosure was not yet built at hat time.

It was televised. Sadly the footage no longer exists.
The double centre half routine was first employed against Aberdeen in the previous round.
Kilmarnock went on to win the league title that season, just holding off challenges from Hearts, Dunfermline Athletic and Hibernian.

I have nothing in my anorak files, Tom.
I would think it unlikely, because I remember overhearing some older spectators at Bayview in the early seventies remarking that the TV cameras had never been at Bayview for a full televised match, and if they couldn't turn up for East Fife v Celtic (on 17th February 1973) when that was one of only (I think) three games played in Scotland that day, then they probably never would.
I also seem to remember the question of televised games at Bayview being asked in the old Sporting Post Q&A section around the same time, and (I'm not making this up) the answer was that the only time cameras had appeared at the ground up to then was for an episode of Dr Findlay's Casebook which featured a story about an injured footballer ("Doctor Findlay . .why are you trying to write with an anal thermometer?". "Ach, Janet . . .some Bayview bum's got ma pen!")
There were of course several occasions in the 1980's and possibly into the 1990's when brief highlights were shown.

Major O'Nerrs
Tom

It was televised. Sadly the footage no longer exists.
The double centre half routine was first employed against Aberdeen in the previous round.
Kilmarnock went on to win the league title that season, just holding off challenges from Hearts, Dunfermline Athletic and Hibernian.

I replied before reading your post, Major! Looking at the evidence, is it possible the cameras at the Klmarnock match were for Doctor Findlay's Casebook . . . ideal film-set with a big crowd etc. Looks like we need some old timers in on this debate!

Kilmarrnock team was

Forsyth
King,Dickson.
Murray,McGrory,Beattie
McLean,McInally,Hamilton,Sneddon,Black

Referee was Mr A.J.F.Webster

Attendances and Receipts were

Bayview 9003....£1,402

Rugby Park 9,500 £1,718

The two managers were Jimmy Bonthrone and Willie Waddell

Tom

you are quite right tom. bob crampsey and the scotsport film crew covered the kilmarnock cup tie.
the dr finlay casebook match was a different game, a league match against alloa

As far as I remember the Dr. Finlay episode was an away game against Alloa. If I remember correctly the Fife scored a barrowload that day.

Bob Kirstein
As far as I remember the Dr. Finlay episode was an away game against Alloa. If I remember correctly the Fife scored a barrowload that day.

you are right bob it was at recreation park in 1964

It was indeed Alloa's ground that featured in an episode of Dr Findlay's casebook,and I think it was in 1964 but not to sure about the date.

Alloa v East Fife on 26th September 1964 was televised in part for an episode of Dr Finlay's Casebook. Remarkably both teams agreed to wear old fashioned kits without numbers for the game (but refused to wear baggy shorts).
East Fife won 7-2!

Interesting stuff, guys!
It makes sense thinking about it now - Recreation Park had a brilliant old-fashioned wooden grandstand back in those days, with the wooden fascia on the stand roof like the fascia on an old-fashioned railway platform canopy.
It would have been the perfect back drop for two teams wearing retro-style jerseys.
I wonder if the old footage still exists?

As a schoolboy, I was in the crowd for that Alloa v East Fife match in 1964.

The BBC dished out claret and amber colours to a bunch of fans who were then huddled together and filmed as the home support - apparently these colours gave a better contrast on monochrome telly than actual black and white scarves !!!

Brian Marjoribanks played the role of the Tannochbrae United forward local hero who was the central figure - before he turned to acting he had had a spell at both Hearts and Hibs but injuries ended his playing career.

I think he also presented "Sportscene" at some point.

His son (same name) is a sports journalist.

Incidentally, reference the East Fife v Celtic match in 1973.......was that the game where the EF keeper (Ernie McGarr ?) saved three penalty kicks - one of which was a retake ?

How refreshing to read this thread instead of all the rubbish posted on this site by a bunch of morons.

Superb, ridiculous thread.........lovely nonsense..... more please

For the record, and anybody who might be remotely interested, I managed to get some details of the Alloa v East Fife Div. 2 league match that featured in that episode of Dr.Finlay's Casebook......thanks to Google.

Saturday 26th September 1964, Recreation Park, Alloa.

Series 3, episode 2, title "The Raiders" - Brian Marjoribanks (Snr.) played the role of Roddy Munro, the star forward of Tannochbrae United. Their opponents were Kinleven - and Roddy had been told there were scouts from several big English clubs sniffing around.

It was screened on 10th January 1965.

I doubt that episode survives in the BBC archives.

Mac
For the record, and anybody who might be remotely interested, I managed to get some details of the Alloa v East Fife Div. 2 league match that featured in that episode of Dr.Finlay's Casebook......thanks to Google.

Saturday 26th September 1964, Recreation Park, Alloa.

Series 3, episode 2, title "The Raiders" - Brian Marjoribanks (Snr.) played the role of Roddy Munro, the star forward of Tannochbrae United. Their opponents were Kinleven - and Roddy had been told there were scouts from several big English clubs sniffing around.

It was screened on 10th January 1965.

I doubt that episode survives in the BBC archives.

The BBC and ITV (STV) didn't keep much of their output back in the 60's and early 70's. I doubt that the few times we were on TV back then survives in full though you can still see the odd snippet if you look hard enough on You Tube (e.g. a match at Ibrox from 1973). A game that no doubt was wiped was the epic Falkirk East Fife game from 1972 where we won 4-3 at Brockville. How I would love to see that again!

Brian Marjoribanks (Snr.) had an interesting professional career after football - including chairman of STV.

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Brian-Marjoribanks/320981721