Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cowdenbeath v East Fife

Team

Ridgers

Durie
Ovenstone
Campbell
Cook

Linn
McCormack
Muir
Smith

Wallace
Ogleby

subs: Brown, Stoney, Sloan, McQuade, Hislop

Re: Cowdenbeath v East Fife

What a surprise

1-0

2 nil!! Took a big deflection.

3/0 ffs

4-0 feckin garbage. Hate to say it but I was expecting a disaster and hoping for a win. But we got what I expected FFS.

Privately, many of us knew this was a likely outcome, while others feared it would be.
We were staring it in the face.
I am an admirer of the manager, but he wasn't able to stop this happening. He has far more experience in management than Colin Cameron, but Cameron took him to the cleaners. Once again.
That's not good. That's not good at all.

Spineless garbage! Relegation material!!!

Just in! Darren Smith can hold his head up but that was as poor a team performance as I have seen.

Was going to call off for Saturday to go to falkirk but will now be at Spartans on sat. Can't justify spending money to watch what was on display today.

Could have been a lot more than 4 ridgers saved us from a cricket score.We were poor all over the park and lost every individual battle.Only excuse i can muster is lack of match sharpness no having played for 4 weeks.Played with a howling wind at our back first half and managed a few half chances.Cdwden score a wonder goal with their first shot on target.Second half was as bad as you could imagine couldnt pass the ball 2 yards.14 Quid down the drain and fear a relegation battle looming.happy new year.

gladly, full of the flu and decided to give it a miss...

Don't know where to begin, fed up of this usual gutless performance we have came to expect when we play against Cowden. This is a Fife derby and the player's look as though they couldn't give a toss.

Was the same old story of hoofing the ball only for Mbu to win time and time again.

I wish we had players who played for the jersey i.e Greig McDonald, Kenny Deuchar, Euan Donaldson etc etc, this shower all need to take a look at themself and the majority of them can get tae feck.

Embarassed and disgusted.

Poor,poor performance today. Never really looks like causing them any problems especially when we lumped the ball from back to front so often which suited Mbu who won every header. TBH in the first half there wasn't a great deal between the teams although they looked mor dangerous when attacking our vulnerable defence. A wonder strike by Morton will no doubt be a topic of conversation when he returns to Hearts this week with Ridgers and Ogleby !
In the second half they controlled the game with us never really looking likely to score. Colin Cameron in the middle of the park must love playing us as he is always given son much time and space to dictate the game - oh to have someone like that available to us. Cowden looked fitter than us all over the park and were quicker and sharper to the ball. They are a good side and will probably win the League but we need some players to have a good hard look at themselves and ask if they are giving everything they can for the team - for a number of them it must be a resounding no.
Robbo must get some money to spend to bring some players in as the squad is not big enough or strong enough for us to mount a challenge for the promotion play offs. The number of goals we are conceding is becoming embarrassing - defensive coach required ?
Too many players seem to think they will play week in week out no matter how they perform. This should not be the case at any club, especially at East Fife. With a bigger squad, the Manager would have options to change the starting team based on previous performances rather than leaving players kicking their heels on the bench when it is obvious that some players who are playing every week are not performing.
Yes it would be nice to get a decent result at Falkirk next week but we have to produce our Cup heroic performances in League games before we are drawn right back into the relegation fight ? My worry is that if we are drawn into the dogfight at the bottom, whether we have the players with the fight, spirit, bottle or character to survive.
With Ogleby and Ridgers now away back to Hearts ( thanks for your efforts and good luck for the future) the squad is looking very thin so hopefully we can bring in 3 or 4 players. The trialist today -Darren McCormack ? Looked decent but he must be wondering what he has come to after today's performance. Next League game doesn't come much harder with Arbroath the visitors. Hopefully by that time we have a couple of new signings and a bit of confidence. A win at Fqlkirk should ensure that confidence !!!

We just keep going over the same old ground .We were a shambles at the back today and every time cowden went forward you thought a goal was coming.Both full backs were very poor even the usually reliable campbell was poor and his distribution not much better.The defence doesnot get any help from the midfield as they stay static in a ten yard area of the park,then there is a big gap to the 2 forwards. We play as 3 seperate teams with no link up play from front middle and back,and we have seen and discussed this all season.We will need to freshen things up over the next few weeks as the current players dont seem to be learning or improving.Lloyd young is as good as any midfield player we had on display today and at least he gives a good honest shift which some cant say after today.Darren Smith desperatly needs someone to help him in the engine room as he shows more passion than the rest of the team put together.

This was a shocking performance.

The repeated long ball over East Fife's left-back caused all the damage in the first half. There was no tactical decision by the manager to negate this nor was there an adjustment in the individual player's attempts to deal with it. This Cowden tactic created their first goal and everyone in the ground should have applauded the strike.

The trialist in midfield seemed ill-suited to the position and lacking in sharpness. I hope he improves.

Some might say the second goal was unlucky - through a deflection - but I've always said that deflections are deserved. If the defender closes down the shot quickly enough and makes a full block, no deflection will occur, the ball will rebound in the opposite direction from which it came. This goal came at a time when East Fife were not pressing the ball and were inviting crosses and shots so a goal from a deflection in this case was not particularly unlucky for East Fife.

The annual relegation battle is well and truly underway.

gutless performance. cowdenbeath, top the table 38pts fife, in 8th 19pts. sums up the gap between the teams and it was shown on the park today!!!

Disapointed with hislop today.

MaRY_BaLE

What happened there. If Hislop was taking stick, that's a bit harsh seeing as he wasn't even on the park.

Shocking performance overall though. Didn't think there was a huge gap in ability between the teams but there looked like a massive gap in commitment. How many 50/50s did we win? Almost none. Every scrappy or loose ball went to Cowden. Poor defending for the fisrt two goals no matter how good or how lucky the shots were. The defence were all too deep with nobody picking up Morton for the first and, again, Cameron was all alone for the second. How many times do you see shots scored from the edge of the box at corners when nobody's covering that position? It's not uncommon. At 2-0, the game was over even though we did have a legitimate shout for a penalty. The fans knew it and the players knew it. Embarrasing stuff.

Was hoping EF would refrain from punting balls upfield but thats all we seemed to do.Their centre half had a field day and in the end they even had the luxury of bringing him off we were so bad.

MaRY_BaLE

How?

You are a disappointment for mentioning Hissy. I thought he did well from the side and contributed to none of the goals we conceded and did well not to knock that idiot "fan" out. At least the big man cares unlike others.

What about the 11 thay started that let the fans down.

You are a clown MaRY_BaLE with a name like that

If you cant get up and motivated for a fife derby game then we can never be up for any game. subsitutions where wrong in my opinion as we can all see ryan wallace was having a day to forget but even then take off a defender or the trilist and bring on mcquade sooner and go for it.best player got subbed aswell?? darren smith by far tryed and showed his fight.... not a bad tackle either!!! all off pace.. fair enough not had a game in a month or so but still fife we are much much better. colin cameron ran the show for them says it all. players leaving aswell, things look grim at mo

Supporter2
MaRY_BaLE

How?

You are a disappointment for mentioning Hissy. I thought he did well from the side and contributed to none of the goals we conceded and did well not to knock that idiot "fan" out. At least the big man cares unlike others.

Hislop a big man?.......don't think so. A bigger man would have ignored the barracking from the supporter. He is still club captain and a senior player - he should be leading by example, not getting involved in petty squabbles. He let himself down yesterday and the captaincy of the club.

Instead he pretends to be a tough guy. I think he's been watching too many cowboy movies the way he took his gloves off and brandished his fists. Was he going to punch his way through the 12 foot metal fench and reinforced concrete? It was all a bit pathetic really.

I can't see what this guy brings to East Fife except disapointment and embarrassment. At least he's not on the pitch much these days but the sooner he leaves the club the better IMO.

MaRY its you thats the embarrassment to the club mate.

MaRY_BaLE
Supporter2
MaRY_BaLE

How?

Hislop a big man?.......don't think so. A bigger man would have ignored the barracking from the supporter. He is still club captain and a senior player - he should be leading by example, not getting involved in petty squabbles. He let himself down yesterday and the captaincy of the club.

Instead he pretends to be a tough guy. I think he's been watching too many cowboy movies the way he took his gloves off and brandished his fists. Was he going to punch his way through the 12 foot metal fench and reinforced concrete? It was all a bit pathetic really.

I can't see what this guy brings to East Fife except disapointment and embarrassment. At least he's not on the pitch much these days but the sooner he leaves the club the better IMO.

Do you actually know what it was about? Clearly not. Get your facts right first.

Love how you are deflecting away the gutless performance from your favourites on the pitch. Hissy couldnt do worse than those on the pitch at the moment. There lies the problem and not the "scapegoat" who wasnt even playing.

Im not a tactical genius but Ive seen enough of us v cowden to know that Mbu must love playing against us as we seem determined to try to pick out a pass to him on every attack in the last 6 games we've played them.

Smith and Wallace were only ones trying the day in my opinion. Basic error for Camerons goal in that no one was stitched on enough to follow the flight of the floated ball to the edge of the box and come out to block the shot. My granny could have hobbled out in time it hung in the air that long. And players who react to fans frustrated shouts should grow up, particularly if the jury is still out on their contribution the cause. East Fife fans will still be going to games when they are long gone and forgotten. I could accept Willie Broon or Dicky Gibb telling fans to shut the fuck up but not many of the current crop.
Bring on the Falkirk.

I see that you (Mary Bale)have crawled out the woodwork to have a pop at a player who wasn't even playing. We all know that you do not like/rate Hislop (fair enough) but to describe him as an embarrassment and disapointment is way off the mark. With the exception of Smith and Ridgers, the other players on the park yesterday, sad to say, fitted into those descriptions. Same players week in week out who do not deliver in the league. They just know that they are not going to get dropped - take note, Robbo!

Clearly Robertson does not rate Hissy anymore. One guy next to me, when he saw him having a word with the tube behind the fence, said at least Hissy cares and he would have given Mbu a run for his money, more than that imposter of a player, Ogleby. To use the words of Mary Bale, he is what I would describe as an embarrassment and disppointment. I bet that you (Mary) actually think that Ogleby has contributed to the cause. Aye you right, thats why we are at the wrong end of the table. Did he actually get his strip dirty?

Wasn't there. Only my season ticket is keeping me going to most home games. I'm not going to bother posting/moaning on here/losing my voice at games for nothing. I'll just wait till the few things I personally want to happen at the Club happen and the rot stops (it will happen) before I'm back home and away. If he won't change the team and motivate the players, then it's pointless going. Cue the superfans...

Ps, Ogleby's been a passenger every time I've seen him. Hislop will get his chance now.

It's beyond belief that we'd punt the ball yet again to Wallace and Ogleby (the former is wee and the latter can't header a ball at all) against the best centre half in the league - again! Haha!

I was there yesterday and it truly was terrible.I said last time we played cowden that we were to slow and it's still the same,our midfield is too pedestrian,can't get up to support the front(who can't hold the fucking ball up anyway)I can't remember ogleby actually touching the ball in the 2nd half.We also need a captain on the park who the players will listen too(linn is not a captain).please can we start with mcquade and wallace and keep the ball on the deck.
All in all i'd struggle to give any player a score above 2 or 3 out of 10 apart from ridgers.

Supporter2
MaRY_BaLE
Supporter2
MaRY_BaLE

How?

Do you actually know what it was about? Clearly not. Get your facts right first.

Love how you are deflecting away the gutless performance from your favourites on the pitch. Hissy couldnt do worse than those on the pitch at the moment. There lies the problem and not the "scapegoat" who wasnt even playing.

I agree the performance by most of the players was gutless and below par but find it incredible for Hislop to say that if he as on the park they ouldn't have lost that heavily if at all! He could hardly have done the job of the other 9 outfield players!

P.S. For what it's worth I think he should have ignored what was being shouted from the stand, it doesn't look great for the team captain to get involved.

S-Pat: Maybe Hissy should not have had a a go at the punter behind the fence. Perhaps having to watch the poor performances of a certain Mr Ogleby week after week, he did let his frustration get the better of him. Perhaps that suggests, though, that he at least cares! I dont think that Hissy is that good to make up for the below par performances of his other team mates but as team captain, I would like to think they would have be geed up by him. (Sorry, Bobby but you ain't no captain.) Mind you having watched some of these guys over the season, any criticism from the captain or even other team mates, the petted lips would have been out right away. While it is up to the players to do their bit, I am not convinced that Robbo is capable of getting the best out of the players in the league. As one of the guys in the stand shouted: "Robbo, what is your plan B?"!! Nothing against McQuade, but what was the guy expected to do when he went on? Part of me wishes that the snow comes down heavy on the A9!!

S-Pat...

Is anyone going to tell us what the reason was for the numpty shouting at Hissy or are we going to make up nonsense and make him scapegoat as per usual. I believe he was acknowledging his dad, hardly a crime.

P.S Was there a game on or just false accusations?

I think Robbo needs to come up with a plan A before we start getting ahead of ourselves with a plan B. Watching most games this season, most folk would struggle to see any kind of coherent tactics or plan.

Well after calming down after watching that shite on Monday I need to put ma tuppence worth in. The team's performance, hate saying it was - pathetic. The performance reeked of a team low in confidence, demotivated, unfit and maybe even hungover! I watched multiple 50/50s being fought for, however we gave 10% and they gave 110%. That's a fact! How many times did we boot the ball out the park or misplace a pass, shocking. Week after week (bar a few games) the Fife faithful are being served up with football that would struggle to compete in the amateur league. If players don't want to wear the shirt and compete why bother turning up. The supporters deserve better. Too often now I am hearing our dedicated fans getting disillusioned and becoming increasingly upset by it all. It's time for big changes, new faces, young blood, in short bringing in professionals that love playing football for the team they represent. as you see I have not named names as that's not my style, football is a team sport, if there are weaknesses in attitudes etc then the team should deal with that in a manner that remedies the situation. The season is not over, we have time to recover but that window of opportunity is getting smaller by the day. Come on guys it's your opportunity to prove us wrong, in reality fans don't mind spending money, time etc and getting beat but only and if only you have sweated blood and tears during the 90 minutes. Ps I will be there at Falkirk!

Apart from cup games I've seen nothing from the manager. Taken us as far as he can? He is in charge of these players.

Agree with most of what has been posted. The game on Monday was absoloute horse sh*te! but, then again, why should we be surprised?

It's time for change.

So it wasn't a great day and nothing worse than getting beat by Cowden. But really having a go about Hissy when the guy is not even getting a game.

Granted he is club captain but when jokers that are so called fans have a personal attack at the lad then he is quite right to have a word back to the a hole.

So after weeks of watching Hearts 19's lads on loan at the club what have they brought to the table( Ridgers is not included as he is class) The lad Ogleby only got a game as Hearts told robbo to play him week in week out. He probably never really gave his all as it not his club....and did he really care.

So what is your real problem here?? Is it because our club captain played with Raith. I guess that’s what your problem is!! Look at the bigger picture, he played in All SFL and in the SPL . Helps the younger lads come through the system and goes to supporters functions when asked. Surely that’s what a captain does. Also remember we are a part time 2nd div club so apart from the loan signing every lad in the team has a full time job and gives up alot of personal and family time to play, also alot of the lads have to take holidays to play for our club.

Rather than spew your filth and personal attack on the guy, why not aim it at the players on the park that are not doing the business or really you should be aiming it at Robbo, rather than the ones not getting a game.

We have been lucky with the good cup runs and giant killing acts but let’s get back to the real world!!

Mr Hislop always has given this club and any other club played at is all.

So MaRY _ BaLE rather than hide behind a silly name show the club, the fans and the players that you really are an East Fife fan.... You are a MUPPET!!!

Paul D

Granted he is club captain but when jokers that are so called fans have a personal attack at the lad then he is quite right to have a word back to the a hole.

Disagree....he should be professional at all times rather than let his ego get the better of him.

Paul D

So what is your real problem here??

Since you ask, I'll tell you. I don't rate him as a player, and I don't rate him as team captain. Nothing to do with him playing for Raith.

Paul D

Rather than spew your filth and personal attack on the guy,

Is saying I was "disapointed" really a spew of filth or a personal attack??

Paul D

why not aim it at the players on the park that are not doing the business or really you should be aiming it at Robbo, rather than the ones not getting a game.

Paul D

So MaRY _ BaLE rather than hide behind a silly name show the club, the fans and the players that you really are an East Fife fan....

So I've to show that I'm an East Fife Fan by having a go at the manager and players but not the Great Hislop.......thanks for the advice, but I'll pass.

MaRY_BaLE
Paul D

Disagree....he should be professional at all times rather than let his ego get the better of him.

Paul D

Since you ask, I'll tell you. I don't rate him as a player, and I don't rate him as team captain. Nothing to do with him playing for Raith.

Paul D

Paul D

why not aim it at the players on the park that are not doing the business or really you should be aiming it at Robbo, rather than the ones not getting a game.

Paul D

So MaRY _ BaLE rather than hide behind a silly name show the club, the fans and the players that you really are an East Fife fan....

So I've to show that I'm an East Fife Fan by having a go at the manager and players but not the Great Hislop.......thanks for the advice, but I'll pass.

Fair points there Mary.

S-Pat
MaRY_BaLE
Paul D

Paul D

Paul D

Paul D

Paul D

Fair points there Mary.

In other words S-Pat, what you are saying is you don't like Hislop either!

As usual, instead of concentrating on the subject, this thread degenerates into criticism of the team captain rather than the team performances. How sad are Mary B and S-Pat. Lets concentrate on the team on the park,shall we? Or is that beyond you two?

ok, MaRY, Is it then ok for me to come into your work place and shout abuse and verbally attack you over non work issues?? Is it because you have paid your money you can do and say as you like.... Erm NO..I would be charged by the police for that.
So its an ego thing... What your ego?

Is it also a crime for the lad to speak/ wave to his family?

Fine you don't rate him, thats your opinion but what is it you don't like? So are you saying bobby is a better captain? if so why???

At least after the game our captain comes up and talks to the fans win or lose, don't see many of the other so called players doing that..

How can you be disapointed at a player that never played?? If Hissy had played and never put a shift in then granted be unhappy- bit daft to even bring it up that you are not happy with hissy when he had the same view as you to watch the game and had the same chance as you to change it.

You missed the point on the last bit, robbo picks the team so if you are not happy contact him,
Never said don't talk about "the great hissy" but your point is not about the team but him, so granted your not his fan but we are East fife and are luck to have players like Hissy & Linn that have played at a higher level so we should at least respect them for trying to bring glory back to our club.

Bring back Lloyd young Greg McDonald jay smart Paul McManus problem solved

A few points. We were very poor on Saturday and well beaten. Not an excuse but it was a month since our last competitive game and we were up against the best side in the league, still should have done better.
Why do we need to target individuals? Even some sticking up for Hissy then have a go at Rob or Bobby in response. I can assure everyone that these guys were gutted on Monday night, okay they haven't had to sit through as many derby disappointments as we have but I didn't see anyone not putting in a shift I only saw a team short on confidence beaten by a better side.
Everyone gets frustrated and it's been tough last wee while for all who care about the club. Yes perhaps Hissy could have counted to ten and ignored a stupid shout from the stand but sometimes things get to you and you feel the need to respond. Robbo has a job on his hands to try to lift things in time for Saturday, I'd imagine a clear the air meeting with players will be on the agenda. Good luck to him and let's all start pulling together with less of the scapegoating.

Here we go again!

There's not been any personal abuse or 'spewing of filth' towards Hissy. It is the personal opinion of individual posters with regards to an incident that was witnessed during a game of dross on the park. Whatever had kicked off the wee spat does not seem to be known and that has also been pointed out. Admittedly the thread has wandered off a bit from topic but there is nothing on here that warrants banning/censorship/hanging!

neil
Could have been a lot more than 4 ridgers saved us from a cricket score.We were poor all over the park and lost every individual battle.Only excuse i can muster is lack of match sharpness no having played for 4 weeks.Played with a howling wind at our back first half and managed a few half chances.Cdwden score a wonder goal with their first shot on target.Second half was as bad as you could imagine couldnt pass the ball 2 yards.14 Quid down the drain and fear a relegation battle looming.happy new year.

Err...four weeks without a competitive game, playing away from home against a team that has played over the festive period, are top of the league and have a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to matches with East Fife.

I was expecting a gubbing given the circumstances and we got one. Remember Aberdeen away in the cup last year? Similar circumstances and result.

We have sadly came to terms with the fact that we are now the worst time in Fife, and the majority of the fans predicted us to lose on Saturday as Cowden had played us off the park the last 2 meetings.

4-0 was justified, but it was the manner of the defeat which hurt the most, we can accept defeat if it looks as though the players have given their all for the black & gold, sadly that was not the case on Monday. It's a huge derby game and means a lot to the fans, the lack of passion and fight was disgusting, tackles should be flying in from the first whistle, the players should be proud to be an East Fife player, the supporters would love to be in their position and let them know what playing for a once proud team means.

Worrying, is that there seems to be more passion vented on facebook/twitter etc etc than there was on the pitch, do your talking on the pitch and show us paying fans that you actually give a toss. The apathy and morale amongst the fans is like being back in the Moffat era, but atleast back then we had some guys who would run through brick walls for the cause.

Couldnt have put it better myself Mr Shoot!