Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hissy should have started today and at Cowdenbeath

Hissy and stoney showed some fight when they came on had dodds had hissy rattling him from the off I think more opportunities would have come. To be fair first half the bairns were impressive with some good young lads no spl team would fancy playing them next

Re: Hissy should have started today and at Cowdenbeath

Hislop played well today IMO.

Would he have made a difference starting the games you mention - who knows??

Wonder if he'll manage to make an impact in the final 4 months of his senior career.

cant understand why STONEY didnt start
t

Agreed, I also think Scott Durie may need a rest a couple of times in second half he should have done some running outside bobby in order to make space. He didn't and it meant bobby was running into a brick wall. Looked low in confidence or fitness

Shock Mary Bale can't just make a nice comment about Hislop. Yeah he played well when he came on but why make a smart comment saying it will be the last 4 months of his senior career. 4 months longer than you could ever imagine playing in a senior league.

Grow up Mary Bale

Hislop changed the game when he came on and atleast we know he was always going to fight for the team

Totally agree about Hislop, he should get a couple of starts now, McQuade didn't look overly up for it! Disagree about Stoney tho, as a winger he's no good as he lacks pace and skill to beat a man.

It must be hard for Bale to offer any praise for Hislop. Back handed praise ain't worth it, though, so she/he might as well not bother.

Thought Hislop did make a difference. It was good to see our centre forward give the opposition something to think about for a change. For too long Robertson persevered with the same front two until Ogleby went back to Hearts. How Robertson then thought 2 of our smallest players were going to compete against Dodds and co was beyond me.

It was also good to see Hislop speaking to Ryan to lift his spirits when he missed a chance and also telling him about how to deal with certain situations. Also good to hear Hislop shouting and trying to encourage his team mates. I also noticed that Hislop was the first player to acknowledge the support at the end of the game. Well done, big man! We know that you appreciate us fans.

Will he start next week? Sad to say, I doubt it. IMO he has to be given the opportunity, though. With Robertson, his decisions and team selctions puzzle me at times. But he is the boss!

AHA are you married to Hislop .You seem to be totally infatuated with him.

He is Hislop!!!

And your point is, caller?! I take it that you are at the wind up! I am actually spoken for!

I give an opinion in favour of a player who I consider has not been given a fair crack of the whip this season; in other words, give the bloke a chance, thats all. Yet you offer no opinion in response to the actual subject. Were you actually at any of the games? If so, stick to the point! If you disagree with the point at issue, at least offer something sensible to the debate.

For the record, when Hislop's (infrequent) performances have been subject to discussion, I can assure you I have given constructive criticism of these. Like every player, if you don't do it on the park, expect a wee bit flak.

On a general point, which I have often made and indeed have often been supported by others previously and at the game yesterday, there have been too many players, IMO, who have been given a game week in week out, who have not merited it. As he appears to have been in straight competition with Ogleby, Hislop must have been pretty frustrated watching his performances every week. You and others will know that I was not a fan. IMO, he did not merit selection as often as he did. Unlike Ridgers, he was a poor loan signing. Then yesterday Hislop watches another player (McQuade) play in front of him. He has not exactly set the heather fire either. In fairness to Paul, though, he is another player who has deserved a chance and got it. The manager decided that he had not taken it by substituting him. Hislop, like others, therefore, deserves a proper chance to show what he can and cannot do. IMO we are in the position we are in because players regularly selected have not delivered consistently. The manager can only explain why this is the case.

I had thought that for a while .He has a very high opinion of himself and i am sure once he puts into action what he preaches we will soon be in the playoffs.

Fat Doug: I wondered whether to respond to you but to remove any doubt, I am not Hislop!

I am a fan of hissy and I tell him to his face if he plays bad or if he plays well and he knows that he can take it,but why not say to his face instead of coming here slagging or shouting from the stands

Strange:

You obviously know Hislop better than the rest of us if you can express the view that he has a high opinion of himself. Do you? The big question is: will he be given the chance to help us get to the play-offs? Thats down to the manager so I would not hold my breath, given that he rarely changes the team, regardless of individual performances.

AHA
The big question is: will he be given the chance to help us get to the play-offs?

I'm by no means anti-Hislop but please bear in mind that he had 'a chance' when he played in nearly every game last season.

I agree snarf,hissy had ample opportunities last year and on the whole was poor.Therefore why all of a sudden is he goimg to be our saviour.I do agree however that ogleby was poor but to say mcquade has been given a chance is crap,he needs games and should get them before a judgement is made.If dalziel gets fit then i'd have him in before hissy as well,this is not an ante hissy post but in my opinion the best for the team

Then yesterday Hislop watches another player (McQuade) play in front of him. He has not exactly set the heather fire either. In fairness to Paul, though, he is another player who has deserved a chance and got it. The manager decided that he had not taken it by substituting him.

AHA - 57 minutes away to one of the strongest sides in Division 1 does not constitute a chance in my book. He needs a proper run in the league.

I would not suggest for one second that Hislop is going to be our saviour but to damn any player on the basis of last season's performances is just a nonsense and where we would be? I seem to remember that we just missed out on the play-offs. IMO Hislop made a contribution to the team effort. I am sure not as good as he (and others, including myself) would have liked, though. If you follow this arguement through, it must be on that basis that some players who played well last season are getting a regular game week in week out now because it cannot be on current form.Players should be in the team on merit only,surely.

Yes, as I have indicated, Paul also deserves a proper chance, like others, for example, Sloany and I have no doubt Scott would be picked in front of Hissy if he were fit. I would wholeheartedly agree that what is best for the team is paramount. However, I am struggling to understand how continued selection of certain players has been the best for the team so far when we are just outside the relegation area. I will not name the players but leave others to make up their own minds who in their opinion have deserved a game every week. It can only be on past reputation/performances. Hence we are where we are.

As I have tried to highlight, I am certainly not pro-Hislop and ante other players. May be my main gripe is that I just want Robertson to be fair to all players and pick the team based upon consistently good performances and the results would then follow; this is just not happening IMO as our league position shows. (May be, of course, he has no faith in his subs! Great for the confidence and no pressure on them when they get the odd appearance, eh!) In a nutshell, it should be the case that all players should only get a game based upon performances. If he does not deliver and it is not to the benefit of the Fife, then he should not play. That should apply to Hislop like any other player. Tell you what, don't we just make the best managers!

AHA
I would not suggest for one second that Hislop is going to be our saviour but to damn any player on the basis of last season's performances is just a nonsense and where we would be? I seem to remember that we just missed out on the play-offs. IMO Hislop made a contribution to the team effort. I am sure not as good as he (and others, including myself) would have liked, though. If you follow this arguement through, it must be on that basis that some players who played well last season are getting a regular game week in week out now because it cannot be on current form.Players should be in the team on merit only,surely.

Yes, as I have indicated, Paul also deserves a proper chance, like others, for example, Sloany and I have no doubt Scott would be picked in front of Hissy if he were fit. I would wholeheartedly agree that what is best for the team is paramount. However, I am struggling to understand how continued selection of certain players has been the best for the team so far when we are just outside the relegation area. I will not name the players but leave others to make up their own minds who in their opinion have deserved a game every week. It can only be on past reputation/performances. Hence we are where we are.

As I have tried to highlight, I am certainly not pro-Hislop and ante other players. May be my main gripe is that I just want Robertson to be fair to all players and pick the team based upon consistently good performances and the results would then follow; this is just not happening IMO as our league position shows. (May be, of course, he has no faith in his subs! Great for the confidence and no pressure on them when they get the odd appearance, eh!) In a nutshell, it should be the case that all players should only get a game based upon performances. If he does not deliver and it is not to the benefit of the Fife, then he should not play. That should apply to Hislop like any other player. Tell you what, don't we just make the best managers!

That`s a fair enough post. Not one for singling out players for criticism as i feel it doesn't do anyone any good but i'm not a fan of Hislop on or off the park. His days at this level were over 2 years ago.
I also think it's time Robertson gave up the ghost and stayed put in Inverness. I dont feel his part time efforts are anywhere near good enough and what looks to be a half decent team on paper is in fact brutal on grass. No cohesion, no communication, no backbone and no fight.
Rabbits caught in headlights at the best of times and any talk of playoffs is well wide of mark unless we`re talking relegation.
Yet another season spent in the doldrums and to be honest not much progress since Baikie!

Opinion
That`s a fair enough post. Not one for singling out players for criticism as i feel it doesn't do anyone any good but i'm not a fan of Hislop on or off the park. His days at this level were over 2 years ago.
I also think it's time Robertson gave up the ghost and stayed put in Inverness. I dont feel his part time efforts are anywhere near good enough and what looks to be a half decent team on paper is in fact brutal on grass. No cohesion, no communication, no backbone and no fight.
Rabbits caught in headlights at the best of times and any talk of playoffs is well wide of mark unless we`re talking relegation.
Yet another season spent in the doldrums and to be honest not much progress since Baikie!

I agree with this post, not the roberston leaving part, but for the last few years i have looked at our team on paper and thought we would do well, then when they get on the park the lack of cohesion is remarkable. i know as a part-time team the players won't see each other day to day, but it is infuriating when you see the potential from the team some weeks, and then absolute rubbish the for the rest. I'm not sure if we can point to the manager or if there is something in the players mindset that needs changed, either way i think we may struggle to make the promotion play offs this year

A few fans seem to think our squad is great on paper, I'm not so sure.

We don't really have a single full back that can defend. We've struggled to find a settled central defensive pairing. We often lose games in the midfield (despite them all individually being decent players), aside from Linn we have no width in midfield (Sloan, Stoney etc are not left wingers) and the only convincing looking striker in the squad so far has been Wallace.

Some good players in the squad undoubtedly, but I think we're a few short of a genuine promotion challenge.

Opinion: You are not one for singling out players yet you then go on and do exactly that by referring to Hislop. Make up your mind.

O.K you don't rate him as a player. Thats your prerogative. How often did you see him 2 years ago and before to form this judgement? I am sure that he would be the first to admit that he is not the same player now as he was then. Didn't you know that applies to a lot of players? Mind you, based upon my experience of playing and watching a lot of football over the years, some of the current crop are lucky to be playing at this level. Not good enough for the Fife in my view. But hey thats only my football opinion but the league does not lie! (The cup performances count for nought.)

We are talking about football players so why have a personal go at him - you are not a fan of Hislop "off the park"!! What's that all about? Do you know the guy? I have spoken to him a number of times (and yes, I have said to him that at times, he could have played better in games - a criticism he has accepted). IMO he is a right decent bloke who just wants to be given the opportunity, like other players, to fight for the cause. Robbo, however, has had a blind spot with too many underachievers (and no doubt will continue to do so, so forget the play-offs on present form, I'm afraid (hope I am wrong)! At least we agree on that point. I won't name them, as I have said before.

Why don't YOU name the players who are not delivering on the park as your post suggests? But hey YOU are not one of those guys that singles out individual players!!!!!

AHA
Opinion: You are not one for singling out players yet you then go on and do exactly that by referring to Hislop. Make up your mind.

O.K you don't rate him as a player. Thats your prerogative. How often did you see him 2 years ago and before to form this judgement? I am sure that he would be the first to admit that he is not the same player now as he was then. Didn't you know that applies to a lot of players? Mind you, based upon my experience of playing and watching a lot of football over the years, some of the current crop are lucky to be playing at this level. Not good enough for the Fife in my view. But hey thats only my football opinion but the league does not lie! (The cup performances count for nought.)

We are talking about football players so why have a personal go at him - you are not a fan of Hislop "off the park"!! What's that all about? Do you know the guy? I have spoken to him a number of times (and yes, I have said to him that at times, he could have played better in games - a criticism he has accepted). IMO he is a right decent bloke who just wants to be given the opportunity, like other players, to fight for the cause. Robbo, however, has had a blind spot with too many underachievers (and no doubt will continue to do so, so forget the play-offs on present form, I'm afraid (hope I am wrong)! At least we agree on that point. I won't name them, as I have said before.

Why don't YOU name the players who are not delivering on the park as your post suggests? But hey YOU are not one of those guys that singles out individual players!!!!!

AHA;
I`m not singling out Hislop in the slightest. I`m merely highlighting the fact that he (along with most of the current starting 11) simply is/are not up to the job. You may recall this thread is about Hislop so i think it only right to comment on him albeit only slightly in my opinion. My comment regarding off the field was in relation to threats that were made against another regular poster on here and that is not acceptable. If he had any sense he would avoid reading AFTN and get on with the job for which he is paid to do. I also know he does good work off the field and fair play to him for that. Pity he ruins it by getting too close to certain posters who have the audacity to form an opinion on their team. Thats what forums are all about is it not? If you don't like it dont read it.
Your right about Robertson sticking with under achievers. Only he knows why but i think recent attendances show what supporters think.

Quite frankly why this ("threat")(of which I know nothing and don't wish to know, thanks)was raised in the first place by you when we should be concentrating on football is beyond me. Not sure what you were hoping to achieve apart from having a dig at him behind a post about football but thats up to you. You are right he should steer clear of such sites. He should rise above some of the nonsense that is posted on sites, difficult though it must be at times, I'm sure. It is simply not worth a "sook" IMO and as we both know, some hide behind their comments, not man/woman enough to speak to the player direct. To Hislop, I would offer this advice, accept constructive criticism and move on; ignore the rest.

Lets see what Robertson has up his sleeve this weekend. No doubt more of the same. When is the penny going to drop with him? I accept that others think he is doing a good job. Fair enough. It looks like we are going to have to put up with him for the rest of the season. The weather, it seems, is going to be kind to him!

To conclude and returning to the real subject, IMO, Hislop should have started against Falkirk and Cowdenbeath. However, had he not played well in the Beath game, he should perhaps not have started against the Bairns, unless for tactical reasons. In other words, dropped as should, of course, have been happening to a lot of the underachievers. Mind you we might not have had a team on the park!

C'mon the Fife.