Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tommy Coyne

Heard East Fife are planning to offer a player swap (my guess would be McQuade) for the Linlithgow striker. He is the son of ex the Motherwell player of the same name.

Re: Tommy Coyne

don't want to see Paul go, but Coyne is a useful forward. Holds the line well and knows where the goals are.

An addition but not sure if its an improvement on who's already at bayview.

Did he not play for East Stirling against us in the cup? I certainly saw his dad at that game (also of Dundee and Sellick, no a bad player for either of them).

Be a shame if Paul left without giving it a real go. Is he one of those players who isn't applying himself enough as he undoubtedly had talent?

Tommy Coyne junior was with the Shire. Have read good reports about him from Linlithgow Rose fans.
Agree about the comments relating to Paul McQuade and I think we should stick with the squad we've got which, barring a catastrophic run of injuries or suspensions has more than enough cover in all areas.

It was his brother Bradley that played against us for the Shirey Pirey in the cup. He is on loan from St Mirren I believe

I would be dissapointed to see paul mcquade go without being given a chance to show his true talent.The guy is a proven goalscorer at this level as he showed at Cowden a couple of seasons back.For some reason Robbo hasnt given paul a run in the team to show what he can do.Danny Lennon must have thought that he had something about him to take him to the premier league.There must be something not right that robbo hasnt given him a chance.I thought he would have come on when hissie tired yesterday but robbo opted for Dalziel.Paul must be frustrated himself at his lack of opportunity to prove himself.

McQuade seems to be suffering from a lack of match fitness and Wallace is easily our first choice striker. Robertson seems to want to play a big (and ideally fast) striker beside Wallace. McQuade is a good enough player to find his way into our team once he is fit and I'm sure this is being worked on in training. As for Coyne, I remember him from his time at Dumbarton. I don't think he is good enough for the 2nd division, and McQuade is too good for the juniors.

I agree we need to keep Paul, we know that he can play at this level and higher. He will do a great job for us given the chance. For whatever reason Robertson doesn't seem to rate him or, being charitable, can't find a place for him that suits his style of play right now.

Robbo will be gone by next season and a new manager will have other ideas about how the team should play. For that reason alone the Board must block any attempt to ship him out. I'm sure Paul will then be given a proper chance next season and will be able to show what he can really do. We do not need any Junior level player coming in at this point. So stick in there Paul and things will work out!

He didn't exactly stand out when he was at Dumbarton, and they were happy to see the back of him.

Seems to have been scoring a fair bit in the juniors mind you. Expected good things from McQuade but hasn't really delivered so far.

Interested to know if McQuade is completely blameless for his lack of opportunities in the first team? Heard rumours about a first team player being told to lose a few stone and ended up putting a couple on instead. Could be absolute pish of course.

Undoubtedly a very talented player so it would be a great shame if it were true.

Snarf
Interested to know if McQuade is completely blameless for his lack of opportunities in the first team? Heard rumours about a first team player being told to lose a few stone and ended up putting a couple on instead. Could be absolute pish of course.

Undoubtedly a very talented player so it would be a great shame if it were true.

Mcquade is a bit on the chubby side for my liking. He needs to get down the gym and loose a few pounds. No place for fatties in the professional game, even at our level.

This thread started with someone GUESSING that Paul McQuade might go out on loan, on the basis of some gossip about someone maybe coming in. In other words, very probably not true.
But since then, it has been open season on Paul. Not doing enough, overweight, defying management orders, hasn't delivered, unfit, style of play not right - good grief, what has he done to deserve this criticism? The poor boy has hardly had a chance in the team. We know (to our cost) how good a player he is, from his time at Cowdenbeath. In time, he will do that for East Fife too.
Anyone who has met him will know Paul is a good lad, a local lad too, who WANTS to play for East Fife. I wish we could say that about the rest.
Paul's dad is an occasional but welcome visitor to this forum. Please think twice before posting any more shite about his son. Get behind the lad, please!

Well said that man

I agree that some fans need to have a good hard look at themselves. Stick to football matters and not embark on personal attacks/comments. I find it astonishing that some players find themselves on the end of severe criticism, sometimes not even for football reasons, yet others whose football performances would merit such treatment get off scot free. (Regular readers will know that this is a pet theme of mine.)Fans on this thread and on others are very quick to criticise certain players but are very slow in handing out praise where it is due. (It must stick in their throats to do that, I suppose!)

I know very little about Tommy Coyne so I would not know if he would improve the team. Sorry to move away from the thread but on last Saturday's game I thought Linn, Hislop and Durie played like their true selves; they now need to show a bit more consistency now or else the critics will soon find any excuse to have a go again. I would put Paul in the same category as Hislop in terms of the lack of any real opportunity to show their worth to the team. I am sure that Paul's chance will come again if the manager is fair to all players.

Hislop, IMO, played as a captain should. It was interesting to see Hissy and Broonie having a "debate" about who should have done what when Arbroath had launched a attack which led to a corner. I did not notice any petted lips! It showed that they both cared. Considering he had not played from the start for a while, I thought his overall play was good (we will forget the "sclaff" at the end of the first half, Hissy!!.) I think that he won more balls in the air in one game than our previous number nine did over his loan period! I also thought Scott did well when he came on. The last game and a half has shown that we can be a good side (and yes, with no loanees). This Saturday will be a tough match but hopefully if we play as we can, we will get the result we all want.

An early April fool? Coyne is poor, had a couple of senior teams and done nothing. He's found his level at Juniors. Get Paul playing and he'll score goals, absolutely no doubt about that.