Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pies

Where on earth did the club get those pies that were on sale tonight? Did they forget to place an order at Morelands and had to rush round to Farmfoods?
Without a doubt the worst pie i have ever tasted at a football ground and that is saying something. They even had to give out plastic plates for all the grease!!

Re: Pies

Why you eating a pie anyway?

I thought you felt meat is murder?

Heard they were from Puddledub in Kennoway.They were rank bring back Bobs.

They were awful. I heard that morelands had increased their prices.

I agree. Worst pie I ever had at Bayview.

They were bad, cold and if I'm served with the same again, the club has lost another 'fine dining' customer!

Why dont they ask stuarts the bakers for a price for their pies?.Did they not used to do an advert in the programme.

Plenty of comments about how crap the pies were but no mention anywhere about the game itself. Was it that crap too?

Wont buy a pie again until they sort this out. We used to have the best pies in the league. I'm still feeling the effects from last night. For those who werent there - you wont believe how bad they were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At one time the meals at the corporate were really good. Now they are poor, bog standard fare.
Please don`t let the pies go down the same route as they were indeed,absolutely rotten last night.

I can still taste it! absoloutly disgusting.

COULDNT AGREE MORE WITH ALL OF THE POSTS! THE PIE TASTED LIKE DOG SHITE. WOULD RATHER PAY A BIT EXTRA FOR A MORELANDS PIE.

Get morelands back asap. Still have film of grease in my mouth from last night

WORST PIE EVER. BRING BACK MORELANDS!!!

Hopefully the board members who use the forum take heed of the comments posted by the fans.These pies were horrendous,a poor offering compared to Morelands.Also the comment by DLA concerning the fayre on offer with the corporate packages should not be overlooked,he is spot on when he highlights the fall in standards in this department,something which is clearly reflected by poor uptake on corporate bookings.Bring back some quality.

Well instead aw chanting on East Fife at the weekend will we have to be shouting "bring back Morelands pies", absolute disgrace, Who ever does the ordering is better just to cancel the pies cause nobody will eat them and the comment aboot stuarts pies they are alot dearer than bob and never as guid, the person that stopped the pies is better to take heed aw this or theres mare money the club will be throwing away!!!!!!

just found out the boardroom is still getting morelands pies but us supporters are getting the greasy sour shit pies from kennoway. this needs to be sorted!!! and very soon!!!

Foodie
Hopefully the board members who use the forum take heed of the comments posted by the fans.These pies were horrendous,a poor offering compared to Morelands.Also the comment by DLA concerning the fayre on offer with the corporate packages should not be overlooked,he is spot on when he highlights the fall in standards in this department,something which is clearly reflected by poor uptake on corporate bookings.Bring back some quality.

Not that long ago, we had the BBC camera`s filming
the corporate facilities at the club as they were that good.
What we have now is food served which is nothing better than basic and most certainly does not represent value for money.

"just found out the boardroom is still getting morelands pies but us supporters are getting the greasy sour shit pies from kennoway"

If that is true, then that really is a disgrace. i.e. the board wouldnt eat that crap but they expect us to pay for it.

The ridiculous thing was that we still got charged the same for that shite us we normally do.

Something has to be done about this because there are going to be ZERO pie sales at the next home game.

Of course we want the club to make a profit, but at least let us be able to buy something that is half decent.

Worst pie ever just made from pure grease still have the taste in my mouth from last night. We used to have the best but now we have the worst. BRING BACK MORELANDS AWARD WINNING PIES.

Still no response from OUR representative on the board on this matter??

Jimbob
"just found out the boardroom is still getting morelands pies but us supporters are getting the greasy sour shit pies from kennoway"

If that is true, then that really is a disgrace. i.e. the board wouldnt eat that crap but they expect us to pay for it.

The ridiculous thing was that we still got charged the same for that shite us we normally do.

Something has to be done about this because there are going to be ZERO pie sales at the next home game.

Of course we want the club to make a profit, but at least let us be able to buy something that is half decent.

The pie stall has nothing to do with the club it is TAM WILL I think he is doing it to make more of a profit.
!!! BRING BACK MORELANDS PIES!!!

He isnt going to make any profit, because he has committed business suicide and he will sell NO pies

All,

Very disappointed to see your feedback on the pies from Tuesday night, we were very honoured to have been asked to supply pies to East Fife and worked very hard to cut our price in order to so as we throught it would be a great marketing opportunity. Like morelands we are a local business and we pride ourselves in producing a quality product. We genuinely sell a high volume of pies to our customers on a weekly basis through our shop in kennoway and farmers markets and often receive regular praise and repeat custom. However, I appreciate the feedback and am concerned at your dissatisfaction and would like to welcome any East Fife fan that was not satisfied with their pie to visit our shop in Kennoway and try one of our pies free of charge. We would like you to eat the pie in the shop and give us your feedback in order that we can establish how we can meet your needs better.
We are genuinly not in this deal for profit as our aim was to promote our produce as a local business.

Amazing thread! Normally this kind of excitement on AFTN is reserved for two consecutive defeats.

Biggest kerfuffle since the infamous 'Stovies Meeting' of 2006 (or whenever it was).

What about looking at increasing the choice of menu? a pie or mars bar is not much of a choice. around other grounds they offer various options. hot dogs,burgers,home made soup.

I was discusted, the pies was wearing black shorts!

Does anyone think we could incorporate our bob moreland pie heritage into the club crest?

Methil Miner
Amazing thread! Normally this kind of excitement on AFTN is reserved for two consecutive defeats.

Lolz

I don't care much for pies but I do know that Steve Mitchell is an excellent butcher who has earned a lot of respect and admiration during his relatively short time in the business. He is also a genuine, honest and hard-working individual who would not short-change any of us with his products.
Steve, you will have been stunned and no doubt hurt by what you have read here. Some of it will be real, because people don't like change. But you are also the victim of embarrassing abuse from some people who are trashing your business because they are sticking up for their pal Bob. You could produce the Egon Ronay pie of the 21st century and you would get folk on here claiming it tasted like "dog shite" because you are not Bob, a well-known and loyal East Fife supporter and a former director of the club. Bob is a good man, but no one owns the right to supply the club's pies forevermore.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are two or three people stirring it up under different names, or in a joint effort. You will have noted the different names that end their posts similarly - BRING BACK BOB MORELAND'S PIES. It's as much about Bob as it is about the pies.

To be fair to Bob or the dog shite pies. Why not have a nice steak bridey instead.

Anyway boys, several of you could do with laying off the pies anyway !!!!

The Big Stane
I don't care much for pies but I do know that Steve Mitchell is an excellent butcher who has earned a lot of respect and admiration during his relatively short time in the business. He is also a genuine, honest and hard-working individual who would not short-change any of us with his products.
Steve, you will have been stunned and no doubt hurt by what you have read here. Some of it will be real, because people don't like change. But you are also the victim of embarrassing abuse from some people who are trashing your business because they are sticking up for their pal Bob. You could produce the Egon Ronay pie of the 21st century and you would get folk on here claiming it tasted like "dog shite" because you are not Bob, a well-known and loyal East Fife supporter and a former director of the club. Bob is a good man, but no one owns the right to supply the club's pies forevermore.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are two or three people stirring it up under different names, or in a joint effort. You will have noted the different names that end their posts similarly - BRING BACK BOB MORELAND'S PIES. It's as much about Bob as it is about the pie

Dear Big Stane ,I am one of the people who have complained about the pies.I have decided to post under my own name so you can see I am genuine when I say this,THESE PIES WERE NOT GOOD. I dont know Mr Morland or Mr Mitchell but I do know a good pie when I have one and I deffo did not have one on Tuesday night.

I blame Hislop.

The pies were fine when he wasn’t playing.

Big boy
What about looking at increasing the choice of menu? a pie or mars bar is not much of a choice. around other grounds they offer various options. hot dogs,burgers,home made soup.

Agree with this comment by Big boy. Check out Stenny's pie stand on Saturday and see the choice you have there.

i

MaRY_BaLE
I blame Hislop.

Hislop wasnt playing on Tuesday though (due to a family bereavement) so although I find your joke funny, get your facts right first

Supporter
i
MaRY_BaLE
I blame Hislop.

Hislop wasnt playing on Tuesday though (due to a family bereavement) so although I find your joke funny, get your facts right first

Dearie me. Lighten up!

Zzzzz
Supporter
i
MaRY_BaLE
I blame Hislop.

Dearie me. Lighten up!

I know! Pride myself on being able to spot tongue in cheek a mile off!

Oh and whilst I'm on - did nobody think to go back to the pie stall and complain at the time of eating rubbish pies? I wouldn't walk away moaning if I had a problem with a product. I'd complain there and then. If my complaint wasn't taken seriously, then I'd start mouthing off. Mr Mitchell clearly had no idea about what the pies were like on Tuesday and maybe if someone had complained, it could have been sorted for half time.

Just a thought!

While we're on the subject of baked goods, has anyone ever had Barrington's Caramel Shortbread Squares out of Farmfoods? 2 4packs for £1.50 and 10 times better than Carlton, Bayne's, Stuart's and Greggs put together.

Kerriann it seems that the Scottish people in general
would rather complain to a friend rather than to the
establishment where the complaint should be made as soon as possible.
How can a firm take care of A COMPLAINT if they have no complaints GIVEN TO THEM.

Here in sunny California I have been given a voucher
for a free meal on my next visit due to poor service by the waitress ( waiting to long to be served )
I complained about the poor service

Please have a bona fide complaint some people just complain for complaining sake.

In 2010 four of us went to a place in Leven for lunch
one of the meals was terrible half cooked the place replaced the meal and only charged,for three meals something none of us expected.

I will not name the place as all other meals were delicious.

Why complain directly to the person who made or sold the pies when you can moan anonymously on AFTN ?
By using AFTN you know that a world-wide audience of at least 90 will read about how disgusted you felt after you had left the ground.

You are out of line with this answer
If the pies are awful on a Saturday complain on
Saturday this will give the pie man time to correct this especially if there is a mid week game coming up
on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
By the way I do not know or have ever met any of the pie makers, therefore I am neutral.

Irrespective of when you complain the facts are the pies were awful.Big Rab if you had had one on Tuesday night I dont think you would be neutral.

Sorry but I agree was the worst pie I've ever had at a football game!

I repeat - I would be very grateful to those not happy to come to our shop and have a pie free of charge and give us feedback. It would be a huge help to the guys in the shop and staff who are all very disappointed by this unrest. Hopefully some of you will take us up on this as currently we are mystified how a product that is normally so well received be causing this unrest. Sadly as yet no one has come forward after yesterday’s invitation. Good luck with the game tomorrow. Steve Mitchell

Steve Mitchell
I repeat - I would be very grateful to those not happy to come to our shop and have a pie free of charge and give us feedback. It would be a huge help to the guys in the shop and staff who are all very disappointed by this unrest. Hopefully some of you will take us up on this as currently we are mystified how a product that is normally so well received be causing this unrest. Sadly as yet no one has come forward after yesterday’s invitation. Good luck with the game tomorrow. Steve Mitchell

Thanks Steve. I feel a bit of constructive feedback would be helpful.
"Tastes like dog shite" means nothing as most normal people have no idea what it's like to sample dog shite. You worry about the sanity of some posters on here. Probably someone of a Lino persuasion Steve if you ask me.
While we're on the subject of meat filled pastry based products, any chance of a return to Bayview of the onion bridie in puff pastry Steve? Moreland retired his version from the stall a few seasons back. You could do worse.

For what it`s worth, i`ve heard that the guy who does the catering is looking for a bigger profit margin and wasn`t getting that with Moreland`s pie`s.
Maybe that is the reason for changing suppliers?

The pie`s on Tuesday weren`t a patch on Moreland`s and were quite greasy,even the outside shell casing was greasy and not very warm. I am however, willing to give them another try as this could have been a one off?

Maybe the Caterer could shed some light as why he has changed suppliers?

The posters on here who claim that some of us have been harsh in our criticism and should have made our thoughts known differently have one thing in common - none of them tried the pies on Tuesday.

Mr Mitchell asks how he can improve his pies? Well...why not pop down to Morelands in Buckhaven and try theres?
I was surprised that the pies came from Puddledub (I thought they were form Lidl) as I have tried other items from there and been pleased in the past. However it seems that they are well short when it comes to producing the great scotch pie.
And this is not some campaign for Morelands because of their East Fife links. I tell you - any baker on the high street - Carlton, Greggs, Baynes, Stuarts etc all produce better pies. That pie on Tuesday was ATROCIOUS!

Maybe the batch we got on Tuesday was a One off.I for one will give them the benefit of the doubt and try them next home game.

Pie

I thought that that that any catering and drink be it in the lounge or pie stalls were the clubs activities and not a franchise hence all profits going into the club . am i wrong?

Eric

A couple of seasons ago the board took the decision to "outsource" the pie stall.This means the operator pays a rent for the facility and then runs it according to his own commercial judgement.

The main reasons were:
it avoided the need to organise and train staff;
it transferred the risk associated with postponed matches; and it gave us a regular and predictable income.

The disadvantage of course is that is that we may get less over the season but on balance it was felt the first two reasons above particularly were persuasive.

Hope that helps.

Eugene

Jimbob
The posters on here who claim that some of us have been harsh in our criticism and should have made our thoughts known differently have one thing in common - none of them tried the pies on Tuesday.

Mr Mitchell asks how he can improve his pies? Well...why not pop down to Morelands in Buckhaven and try theres?
I was surprised that the pies came from Puddledub (I thought they were form Lidl) as I have tried other items from there and been pleased in the past. However it seems that they are well short when it comes to producing the great scotch pie.
And this is not some campaign for Morelands because of their East Fife links. I tell you - any baker on the high street - Carlton, Greggs, Baynes, Stuarts etc all produce better pies. That pie on Tuesday was ATROCIOUS!

I was also surprised to hear they were from Puddledub as I have had various items from there and they were as always excellent. Their steak pie at New Year was superb.

Is it a case of the caterer at the club now wanting the supplier to produce a "budget pie" at a lower cost to make more money?

It appears that a lot of posters think that the caterer is trying to get a budget pie to make a profit.Is it not the case he is not trying to pass the cost on to the supporters.I would have thought he is also trying to get a quality product as well.Why did morelands put up the price of their pies ? TO KEEP THEIR PROFIT MARGIN.

The pies that Morland supplied were good.If the vendor had put the price up and explained why I think most fans would have accepted this.After all the price of our pies compared to other grounds is quite cheap.As I have posted previously maybe this was a bad batch and I am quite willing to give them another try but if they are still as bad...well its goodbye halftime snack.

“The best pie was at East Fife’s Bay view stadium. But I think you should also be able to get a pint with your pie and it shouldn’t just be limited to the hospitality lounge. ”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-choice/2012/06/03/football-lover-sets-off-on-mission-to-get-views-of-ordinary-fans-in-bid-to-save-the-game-in-scotland-86908-23884077/

An away fan on P&B,
" Is Iain on smack? East Fife's pies are rotten."