Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
latest score

1-0 up bobby linn 23mins stirling1-0 cowden thom 28mins

Re: latest score

1-1 gilhaney 52mins

stirling1-1cowden brechin 1-0stenny

2-1 down graham 79mins

ft 1-2

No heart, no fight, no character, no leadership, no motivation, no tactics, no chance of a play off spot.

1 (one) point against the top 4 teams so far this season is a disgrace.

DLA
No heart, no fight, no character, no leadership, no motivation, no tactics, no chance of a play off spot.

1 (one) point against the top 4 teams so far this season is a disgrace.

second half was as bad as the first half was good! Real game of 2 halfs for us!

Agree...thought we were good the first half and turning point was the miss by dalziel to put us two up. Second half we lookd like a team who had never played together before !, panicky, no organisation, no creativity. Picked up a couple of injuries as well, Durie, Div and I assume campbell. Mind you Div's injury may be a blessing in disguise to give him a break, not been his best season..

FFS dont get relegated , we need to have a Derby next year...get yer finger oot.

First half should have been 2 or 3 up. Second half was as bad as we have been all season. No midfield, Dalziel looked knackered by half time and his miss in the first half seemed to sum up a player who is just not good or fit enough to play at this level. No confidence, no fight completely agree with DLA. Some of our passing out of defence was just awful, what I'd expect to see in a poor amateur game. Brown again magnificent and blameless for the goals, only Wallace in the outfield deserving of any praise. Oh and Finnie the ref was pish as well. Well f****d off.

Disappointing result and Second Half performance. We don't hit the target often enough when chances come along. Anyone know why Campbell didn't appear for the second half ?
Dumbarton in the second half were much more mobile than us and when they got the equaliser, it always looked like they were more likely to get the winner. Bobby Linn seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence at the moment and he seems to snatch at chances even though he is a decent striker of the ball.
A major worry for me is the seeming inability of the Manager to change from plan A to plan B. It often looks that if plan A isn't working we don't have an alternative.
I know we've got a lot of games in the coming weeks but I would be loathe to change a winning team. McQuade and Smith were not even stripped tonight.
The play offs look highly unlikely so it's now a case of making sure we don't get dragged back into the relegation fight. That way we can look forward to renewing friendships with our Lino licking pals fae Kirkcaldy !!

Bobby Linn was excellent in the first half. We had no fight compared to them in the second half. Heads down.

Bobby Linn was not "excellent" actually. Took his goal well but that was all he pretty much contributed to the game. How he is captain, I will never know. He's not a leader and is nowhere near consistent enough. Second half was one of the most frustrated I have ever been as an East Fife fan. To completely outplay Dumbarton in the first half to play the way we did in the second half was absolutely pathetic. No desire, no determination, no motivation from any of the players tonight apart from Wallace who worked his socks off and Brown who pulled off some great saves again. That performance will cost us our chances of making the play-offs this season I reckon. Won't matter that much...carry on playing like the way we did tonight we certainly don't deserve to finish in the top 4. Hope Campbell isn't out for too long. Missed him in the second half. Hope Robbo gave the players a good kick up the arse after the game tonight.

Why get uptight about missing out on the play-offs? As DLA has pointed out, we have taken one single point off the top four teams this season. If we get to the play-offs, our fortunes are not going to be transformed overnight so that we can string four results together against teams who ease past us time after time after time.

Dumbarton ( despite being a goal down at half time) wanted to win more than us.
Theyt never shirked a tackle kept encouraging each other and were first to nearly every 50/50 ball throughout the 2nd half. They seemed to sense our lack of fight and went for the win.
Far too many games this season where we have been beaten by a better attitude ,rather than a better team.
I am sorry Bobby, you can be a fine player but if you shirk your tackles ( with one exception) and refuse to put your foot in where it hurts- you do not deserve to be captain.
Thought Durie played well and kept fighting to the end- despite being injured.More of that throughout the team please

Decent first half.... Some woeful finishing for us again though.... Second half was a shocker ...we were well.... Feckin awful.... Played like a pub team.. Hoofin the ball anywhere... We are so much better than that :( A real missed opportunity to get some momentum going ... I fear for a relegation battle and that's not good... Hope we haven't lost Campbell or Durie for a few weeks as that will be a mare...

1 point out of 33 against the top 4 this season I think. We are a bottom half of the table team and I think 6th is about the best we can hope for now. Not good enough really.

Worst quality second division in living memory and we can't even get top 4.

Agree with most of what has been said. Decent first half and garbage the second. It was as if the dressing room had agreed at half time to take their foot of the gas. Dumbarton did little in the first and looked far more hungry the second.

I can't see us making the playoffs and even if we did we would get nowhere. Past three seasons i don't feel like we've imporved much, the league has always been tight in the middle, and we generally yo-yo from 5th to 8th.

Take Wallace's goals out the team and we would be struggling big time, which might be the case next season.

Onwards and upwards i suppose.

Thought Linn was outstanding in the first half, as was Durie.

But what the hell was going on in that second 45?

Again, we had Brown to thank for a couple of outstanding saves.

I really thought at the start of the season that this team would be good enough for a top 3 place and how wrong was I?
For me it`s the manner in which we get beat. Last night was a perfect example. Dumbarton scored and you could see and hear their players encouraging each other.
The East Fife team in the second half was a team with no confidence and I don`t think I heard a word of encouragement to each other from any of our players. Where was the leadership on the park? Why doesn`t there seem to be a plan B from the Manager? Why is Darren Smith not getting a game (I would have him over Div any day),would McQuade not have been a better option rather than Dalziel?

5th or 6th in a pretty poor standard league will be our likely finishing spot and the players have only themselves to blame for that!

Bayviewboy
Disappointing result and Second Half performance. We don't hit the target often enough when chances come along. Anyone know why Campbell didn't appear for the second half ? [INJURED -GROIN, I think.]
Dumbarton in the second half were much more mobile than us and when they got the equaliser, it always looked like they were more likely to get the winner. Bobby Linn seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence at the moment and he seems to snatch at chances even though he is a decent striker of the ball.
A major worry for me is the seeming inability of the Manager to change from plan A to plan B. It often looks that if plan A isn't working we don't have an alternative.
I know we've got a lot of games in the coming weeks but I would be loathe to change a winning team. McQuade and Smith were not even stripped tonight.
The play offs look highly unlikely so it's now a case of making sure we don't get dragged back into the relegation fight. That way we can look forward to renewing friendships with our Lino licking pals fae Kirkcaldy !!

All the contributions to this subject have primarily focussed upon the performances of the players. This is right up to a point but we seem to let the manager off lightly, IMO. I agree that he does not seem to have a plan B or is his idea of a plan B to change a winning team? We can talk about motivation/man management skills but does Robbo have these qualities? I accept that players have a responsibility but it would appear he does not have such strengths on a consistent basis. His team selections can be questionable and he is blinkered when it comes to certain players, IMO. It is all very well "freshening up" the team or a change of tactics(if that was his idea last night - leaving out Janny and Hissy) but for goodness sake not against our bogey team and not when we have 3 home games (including the Forfar game last Saturday)in a row to build up a bit of momentum and force our way into a play off spot! (O.K. we were good on Saturday, not brilliant in difficult conditions but we still humped Forfar.) If he wanted to change things, as others have also highlighted, Div and Bobby are long overdue a rest.

Dumbarton were there for the taking last night, IMO but every game is now crucial either to get into a play off spot or avoid a relegation dog fight. Surely we are better than the latter. We must be up for the battle on Saturday! We can expect no less from the A.U.

thought we played well the first half with Linn and Wallace causing them real problems.
The game changed in my opinion on 2 incidents - the glaring miss before half time and the absence of Campbell for the second half.The defence seemed to lack composure and confidence.
I know we have a lot of games coming up but the omission of Jancyzk for McCormack was not a success.David Muir had to do more than his share of work in midfield.

No fight, heart, nothing in the 2nd half
Bring back boys like McDonald and smart that fought for the jersey very disappointing

Bob Moyes
thought we played well the first half with Linn and Wallace causing them real problems.
The game changed in my opinion on 2 incidents - the glaring miss before half time and the absence of Campbell for the second half.The defence seemed to lack composure and confidence.
I know we have a lot of games coming up but the omission of Jancyzk for McCormack was not a success.David Muir had to do more than his share of work in midfield.

Nail on the head Bob.
Campbell and White have developed a good partnership leading to a much more secure defence. Ovvy didn't do badly after the break but White appeared to miss Campbell's steadying influence alongside him.
I thought Linn and Muir performed well, although Bobby faded after the break. Not convinced that McCormack and Muir are an ideal pairing. We missed Janczyk's ability to read the game and sit that wee bit deeper, Sloan and Smith can also perform that role if required. In fairness to McCormack he isn't quite match sharp yet after several weeks out of action.

I thought we played well in the first half and could have been at least 2-0 up at half time. We were a different team in the 2nd half though and yet another defeat to this side suddenly looked to be on the cards.

We are very effective at long passing down the channels for the likes of Linn and Wallace to run on to, but towards the end resorted to high balls straight to the unchallenged heads of both Dumbarton's centre halves. How many times have we seen this happen this season.

One of the biggest frustrations for me is how unthreatening we look when taking corners. We have Sloan/Linn who should be able to deliver pinpoint crosses and a few players who are good in the air, yet we seem to have more chance of scoring when taking a shy in our own half.

Agree with most of what has been said but feel that the comment about Scott Dalziel not being good enough for this level is way off the mark!
The guy has come back from a career threatening injury, is suffering from lack of match sharpness & badly needs a goal to lift his confidence.
Scott will be a big player for us, maybe not this season but with a full pre season will be next season!
Maybe I'll be proved wrong but only time will tell.

Fifer

I thought Linn and Muir performed well, although Bobby faded after the break.

I agree about Muir too - even though he's getting it tight on this thread. He had a few mistakes but his workrate, breaking up play and winning headers is great. Doesn't get enough credit as goes about his business on the park, and as it's not the most attractive role, I reckon it mostly goes unnoticed - so the odd mistake like misplacing a pass or being caught out (as most players at this level do) stick out. His engine is superb and thought he was our best player at Rugby Park.

'Mon the Div.

Also agree about needlessly changing a winning team and if Dalziel is far from fit (as is obvious), he shouldn't start till he is fit.

That's all small-fry compared to the players' heads going down. They looked like they wanted off the park at 2-1 (maybe even 1-1). Why is that ?

Some of the posts on this website are laughable.

Just last week certain posters were wetting their jockies at the prospect of a playoff spot. Seems to happen after any win we scrape.

Fact is, this team is as poor as it gets and simply not good enough for top half finish.
As for the manager, he`s part time and lives in Inverness fer fucks sake. Go figure!

Opinion
Some of the posts on this website are laughable.

Just last week certain posters were wetting their jockies at the prospect of a playoff spot. Seems to happen after any win we scrape.

Fact is, this team is as poor as it gets and simply not good enough for top half finish.
As for the manager, he`s part time and lives in Inverness fer fucks sake. Go figure!

Cripes where to start.

1 Check the number of posts on here after a defeat compared to after Saturday's win.

2 No one was wetting their jockies after Saturday. Most thought that we'd played a lot better before

3 We didn't scrape a win on Saturday, we won 4-0

4 If we are as poor as it gets then why are there 15 clubs below us in Scotland

You're not making any sense mate

i agree methil miner some of the so callec fans on here are pathetic,we get loads more posts when we get beat than we do when we win.Seems to me theres certain people on here want us to lose so they can be proven correct,if thats true then they should fuck off and watch some other team and let real fans support there team instead of getting on there backs all the time

Thank fuck for the "real fans eh".
If it wasn't for all the "real fans" the players wouldn't give 2 fucks.

Oh wait a minute...