Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rumour

Heard a rumour that the Board offered the signing of Kenny Deuchar to the Manager to help in the push for a play-off spot.This offer was refused and now Kenny has,this morning,signed for Stenhousemuir!

Re: Rumour

Heard that as well.

If that's true then it defies belief. If Stenhousemuir have signed him then its a great signing for them. 11 games to go, i'm certain Kenny will bang in a good few goals. Arguably the player we've been missing up top with Wallace.

The Mill
Heard a rumour that the Board offered the signing of Kenny Deuchar to the Manager to help in the push for a play-off spot.This offer was refused and now Kenny has,this morning,signed for Stenhousemuir!

Spartacus
If that's true then it defies belief. If Stenhousemuir have signed him then its a great signing for them. 11 games to go, i'm certain Kenny will bang in a good few goals. Arguably the player we've been missing up top with Wallace.

And you can be certain that he'll bang in two or three when we next play them

I`m absolutely astonished if this is true.When you consider what Ryan Wallace has had to play beside this season a decision like this is totally beyond me!When linked to the big news on the other thread it tells a very disturbing story.Aaaah fuck, better not write any more as this has totally pissed me off!!!

Jim P
I`m absolutely astonished if this is true.When you consider what Ryan Wallace has had to play beside this season a decision like this is totally beyond me!When linked to the big news on the other thread it tells a very disturbing story.Aaaah fuck, better not write any more as this has totally pissed me off!!!

How do we know for certain that even if Robbo wanted Deucher, he would have signed for the Fife any way? Stenny might have offered him more money? Some doctors are not that well paid, you know. Clearly you think that if Ryan had someone better playing up front with him, we would be better placed. (Please tell me what the lottery numbers are this week!) You seem very quick to criticise the other forwards. Have a look at the goals against column - perhaps we should be thinking of getting decent central defenders who know how to defend. The Forfar game is a case in point, IMO. Keep taking the tablets. The season is not over yet, for goodness sake. If you have no faith in the team, don't bother turning up.

Deuchar works at a hospital near to where Stenny play as well.
It just may have been a lot more convenient for him

I recall a trust dinner where Deuchar was saying something about methil being too far to travel now that he has a family.

MaRY_BaLE
I recall a trust dinner where Deuchar was saying something about methil being too far to travel now that he has a family.

Lightweight.

AHA
Jim P

How do we know for certain that even if Robbo wanted Deucher, he would have signed for the Fife any way? Stenny might have offered him more money? Some doctors are not that well paid, you know. Clearly you think that if Ryan had someone better playing up front with him, we would be better placed. (Please tell me what the lottery numbers are this week!) You seem very quick to criticise the other forwards. Have a look at the goals against column - perhaps we should be thinking of getting decent central defenders who know how to defend. The Forfar game is a case in point, IMO. Keep taking the tablets. The season is not over yet, for goodness sake. If you have no faith in the team, don't bother turning up.

Are you then saying that Hislop and Ogleby have played well? Seriously what does Hislop bring to the team? He consistently makes the wrong choices when in possession for example against Airdrie, easy pass to Wallace or switch it to the left. Missing sitters week in and week out. Let's not bother going into detail about Ogleby.
The defence has improved and would happily keep both White and Campbell next season. The main problem is two CM who can't tackle or run, Muir and Jancyzk are powder puff and they both sit far to deep.

i agree about Midfielders, Smith and sloan have been playing left midfield this season to accomodate Muir.Muir cant play anywhere but deep midfield,dont want to have a go at him as he always gives100% when playing.
White not playing as good as start of the season but still ok,Campbell is a stand out in the 2nd division.
Season after season goals against kills us and after watching Brown constantly sclaffing his kicks,glued to his line for corners and poor positioning at free kicks then IMO the problem starts at the NO.1 jersey

Canny believe you are slagging off Brown as he is the reason we are not in a relegation dogfight this season yet, one of our most consistent performers in the team this season IMO.

Kenwit

Season after season goals against kills us and after watching Brown constantly sclaffing his kicks,glued to his line for corners and poor positioning at free kicks then IMO the problem starts at the NO.1 jersey

Shit I have to disagree with the above! Broony has been outstanding all season.. Couple of bad kicks yeh, and a couple of mistakes but apart from that, awesome!

Any person with an ounce of football knowledge can see the problem is in the middle of the park.We have no mobility or creativity.In recent weeks we have been getting deeper and deeper and invitng teams on top of us.The two wide players linn and sloan or stoney have struggled to get involved in an attacking sense as our line is far too deep.That means the defence has to come deeper and before we know it we are inviting teams to run over the top of us.Cowden play a 451 every game and the players all know what is expected of them to get up and down the park and support the striker or help the defence.Please let us build the team around sloan in the middle of the park and darren smith.That is what has cost robbo his job no plan b a one horse pony 442 formation even in games when it was obvios our midfield wasnot at the racing.On saturday i would try 5 in the middle stonnie,sloan,smith ,mcormack and linn with wallace up top.

Kenwit
i agree about Midfielders, Smith and sloan have been playing left midfield this season to accomodate Muir.Muir cant play anywhere but deep midfield,dont want to have a go at him as he always gives100% when playing.
White not playing as good as start of the season but still ok,Campbell is a stand out in the 2nd division.

What a load of total and utter bollocks. You obviously know hee haw about football.

observer
Any person with an ounce of football knowledge can see the problem is in the middle of the park.We have no mobility or creativity.In recent weeks we have been getting deeper and deeper and invitng teams on top of us.The two wide players linn and sloan or stoney have struggled to get involved in an attacking sense as our line is far too deep.That means the defence has to come deeper and before we know it we are inviting teams to run over the top of us.Cowden play a 451 every game and the players all know what is expected of them to get up and down the park and support the striker or help the defence.Please let us build the team around sloan in the middle of the park and darren smith.That is what has cost robbo his job no plan b a one horse pony 442 formation even in games when it was obvios our midfield wasnot at the racing.On saturday i would try 5 in the middle stonnie,sloan,smith ,mcormack and linn with wallace up top.

Totall agree.

Kenwit

Any team in this league would have Broony in goals. I think that the defenders have looked more confident since his return, fair enough his kicking isn't great but he also missed a large chunk of pre season, so presumably kicking practice aswell.

Hopefully who ever comes in can keep Brown, Campbell, linn, Smith, Sloan and Wallace. Then use them in their natural positions, Linn should further forward and more central.
At times this season Wallace has got frustrated at times this season as attacks continually brake down, usual suspects being Muir and recently Hislop. Though I do think Muir isn't fit, and his job hasn't been helped by the very lazy Jancyzk.
Also if Gordon Durie leaves will Scott follow, I think he's a player who playing in a good team could become a very good player for us, but I think his confidence is very low.

MaRY_BaLE

I don't recall.

he's missed kicking practice??? ur having a laugh.
what about last season and last....etc he's been in the game long enough to have improved it, his kicking is mince ,distribution from his kicks was shown up when Ridgers left as Mark's kicking was superb.
Broony is a good shot stopper,no more

kenwit
what about last season and last....etc he's been in the game long enough to have improved it, his kicking is mince ,distribution from his kicks was shown up when Ridgers left as Mark's kicking was superb.

A good shot stopper, no more???? That statement beggars belief if it is supposed to be criticism of a goalkeeper!! Besides, Broonie looks to distribute from the back first and foremost, not boot it up the park for a free for all and the likes of me to win, and you prefer a 'good kicker'???

how can he distribute from the back when most of his kicks fly out for a throw in?

Andy
AHA
Jim P

Are you then saying that Hislop and Ogleby have played well? Seriously what does Hislop bring to the team? He consistently makes the wrong choices when in possession for example against Airdrie, easy pass to Wallace or switch it to the left. Missing sitters week in and week out. Let's not bother going into detail about Ogleby.
The defence has improved and would happily keep both White and Campbell next season. The main problem is two CM who can't tackle or run, Muir and Jancyzk are powder puff and they both sit far to deep.

I accept that Hislop, like others, can do better. As you have been selective about the Airdrie game, I seem to remember that Hissy put the ball through to Bobby which led to the goalie being sent off. He then passed the ball to Sloany which led to him being brought down for the penalty. For the record, I have often spoken to Ryan's dad who has told me that he prefers to play with Hissy up front as he learns from his experience and knowledge of how to play the game. Yes, lets forget about Ogleby!

Looking at all the contributions on this thread, we should all apply for the manager's job!

new manager has to have a clear out as these players have constantly under achieved in the league for too many seasons.
our performances against the top 4 is shocking.....played 11 , 1pt from a possible 33pts, goals for 8 , goals against 32

According to Kenny Deuchar he said he heard nothing about us wanting to sign him,I said to him that I wished he had joined us and he said sorry mate.I wished him all the best at stenny except against us,Also why did the board leave it so long to sack John Robertson as they knew that he said he was wanting to leave before xmas,now they are saying that they sacked him because of this,seems like Brown all over again,I hope we do keep Gordon as manager,but how long will it take the snipers to come out and moan about him,I wish there was someone with enough money to buy East Fife,and put us forward were we should be,instead of it being some members of the boards past-time.As for the new manager having a clear out I do not agree they have shown that they can play really good but some of them seem to have lost a bit of confidence. that is my rant over,snipers begin.

AHA
Andy
AHA
Jim P

I accept that Hislop, like others, can do better. As you have been selective about the Airdrie game, I seem to remember that Hissy put the ball through to Bobby which led to the goalie being sent off. He then passed the ball to Sloany which led to him being brought down for the penalty. For the record, I have often spoken to Ryan's dad who has told me that he prefers to play with Hissy up front as he learns from his experience and knowledge of how to play the game. Yes, lets forget about Ogleby!

Looking at all the contributions on this thread, we should all apply for the manager's job!

Yeah we don't need a manager, lets just do it form here. Think we will all have some Footy Manager experience to fall back on.

i'd also back Durie but as for the players then its time to move some on. Some of these players have played under 2 or more managers at this club and yes they can play good passing football at times but unfortunately consistency is a key to a successful team.A new manager can only work with what he's got,he can introduce new things but its up to the players on the pitch to produce.
East Fife are a mid-table 2nd division team, the players are not good enough to win the league and wouldnt be good enough for the 1st Div. The board seem happy enough to challenge for a play-off spot every season and hopefully have a wee cup run.
If we want to challenge for the title every season then we need better players BUT as finances restrict what a club can do then we'll be stuck where we are every season... clinging to the hope of trying to get 4th in the league.

kenwit

Ridgers trained full time with SPL coaches and International coaches and his distribution was erratic. He also stayed on his line most of the time and when he did come out he never really looked convincing. He is still young and might be a good keeper in time. I think your criticism of Brown is very harsh. Cant think of a better keeper in the league.

kenwit
how can he distribute from the back when most of his kicks fly out for a throw in?

Maybe by throwing the ball out directly to one of his own players per chance?? The outfield players need to give him more opportunities to do just that.

now that his kicking has been highlighted then we can all watch his distribution (by hand or foot) from now till end of season

I think kenwit really loves brooney lol