Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
John Robertson

According to East Fife Mail Facebook page John Robertson has left East Fife FC.

Re: John Robertson

Could this be linked to the Deuchar situation?

Think most fans knew it was coming, thought he might have waited till the end of the season tho, hopefully whoever the new manager is the players will show some response to him and start playing the way fans no they can.

Thanks John Robertson for some great games/nights just a pity in the end it did'nt work out the way you and the fans wanted.

Travelagent
Could this be linked to the Deuchar situation?

The Deuchar situation? From what has been said, the board offered him to JR and he rejected it then decided to leave. Nice parting shot, eh?

Well, I'd like to thank Robbo for giving me the best night ever in watching East Fife at Pittodrie.
We may not have managed the promotion push that we hoped for this season but his committment and effort in travelling from Inverness three times a week cannot be faulted.
Best wishes John for the future.

The writing has been on the wall for a number of weeks now so no real shock that he has left, we have been stale on the pitch for a while now, so we needed a fresh start.

The results against Dunfermline and Aberdeen were fantastic and Robbo deserves a lot of credit for this, but our league form has been pretty poor and a season that began with so much optimism has now gone and mid table mediocrity now beckons.

Poor season? Mid table mediocrity? We are 1 point off the playoffs? Sure it would be nice to be 1st or 2nd but were not! We do or did still have a chance to go up! This club will never ever go anywhere if we carry on forcing managers out of the club! Good luck finding someone else with the same experience/stature as Robbo.

This club is becoming a joke.

Would like to thank robbo for his efforts at east fife fc.Donot know the ins and outs of the dressing room,but recent performances and player commitment would suggest that something isnot right.Im sure robbo will be very frustrated to have put in the time and commitment he did to be paid back with some very poor perfomances from the team.Would like to see gordon durie take over at least till the end of the season.Will be interesting to see our perfomances in the remaining 11 games under a new leader.

we still have a chance of the play-offs would we be better with a manager who has been there before but doesnt know the players or durie who has not been there but he will know the team very well ?

Thought I would try to be first. My uncle's best pal's sister knows a reliable source who reckons the new manager will be ........... (space left blank for all the people who want to make up a silly story about who it will be)

Not sure if this is a good thing for us, the commitment required for the travelling involved probably had something to do with his decision especially given the recent lack of 'heart' shown by some of his players. We will be unlikely to get a coach/manager of his stature to replace him. We live in hope!!!
We certainly need a motivator on and off the park as this group of players need to be reminded that they are paid to play, and need to be encouraged to play at their best level for 90 minutes.....not just when it suits them. Most of us supporters would pay to play in the EF colours.
Best wishes to John Robertson for some highlights during a frustrating season.

I am really dissapointed that John has left.the snipers got their own way again.thanks for everything John best of luck in the future,maybe you will get a board that will appreciate you,and fans as well.relegation here we come I suppose.

Our cup run will live with me for a long time.

For a club our size moments like the Pars and Aberdeen games don't come along too often and we should be thankful for them.

John robertson had lot of contacts which help us bring ryan wallace ,park & ridgers to the club.
cant see anything positive from this . we will never get a manager with his ability go get players like mentioned . all the best John. ( find the Duecher bit strange)
Awaiting response from the usual suspects to shoot me down.

Tom Aitken
Not sure if this is a good thing for us, the commitment required for the travelling involved probably had something to do with his decision especially given the recent lack of 'heart' shown by some of his players. We will be unlikely to get a coach/manager of his stature to replace him. We live in hope!!!
We certainly need a motivator on and off the park as this group of players need to be reminded that they are paid to play, and need to be encouraged to play at their best level for 90 minutes.....not just when it suits them. Most of us supporters would pay to play in the EF colours.
Best wishes to John Robertson for some highlights during a frustrating season.

Tom, it wasn`t Robertson decision to go. That decision was made for him by the Board.

I don't get this.
The team are playing like they did under Baikie (albeit different players) yet we could'nt wait to get shot of DB.
In my opinion this is the right move. A part time manager communiting from Inverness was never going to work.
Best of luck to Robertson but right he went.

Very disapointed to read that JR has gone, we're in trouble now, cant see us attracting anyone better.

Wonder what price next season's season ticket will be will prices be reduced for the third division

The results with Dunfermline and Aberdeen will always be great memories and are to John Robertson's credit - as will the league performances last season.
I know we're only a point off a play-off place but with afew exceptions our league performances have ranged from mediocre to abysmal.
While JR was being honest,his repeated remarks about leaving sooner rather than later were not helpful.
don't know what brought this about but the Deuchar story seems strange.

If you all think for a minute that we will still be in the 2nd division by the end of next season then think again. John robertson was the man that made and got our best players at the club because of his name in the game. There is no chance we will keep the likes of linn, wallace,muir,brown,smith and a few others and replace them with better players on 150 a week. The club is going to back to the 3rd under these so called fife men up stairs. I won't be back at the club as from now until they get out, it reminds me of the brown days. Gutted

mr know it all
If you all think for a minute that we will still be in the 2nd division by the end of next season then think again. John robertson was the man that made and got our best players at the club because of his name in the game. There is no chance we will keep the likes of linn, wallace,muir,brown,smith and a few others and replace them with better players on 150 a week. The club is going to back to the 3rd under these so called fife men up stairs. I won't be back at the club as from now until they get out, it reminds me of the brown days. Gutted

Rubbish. They weren't exactly playing for him were they?
Worst team i've witnessed in a long time despite the so called big names.
Wait and see who the new guy is. With a bit of luck he wont have a huge commute on his hands and more time to devote to the players.

Unsure if this is a good thing or not. I think the players should take a lot of the blame for this. Majority are the same players who where here under Crawford, who played slightly better when he stood down and where rewarded with new contracts by Robertson. Personally I feel some have let him down.
Recently though some of his decisions have been strange, for instance leaving out Smith and playing Muir and Jancyzk (personally think he is a poor signing). Our midfield is powder puff at the best of times wtihout dropping our only midfielder who can tackle. I also feel that his tactics have restricted Linn, however if he cant play well in that position why persist with playing him there.

Wish Robbo all the best. Our cup run was something else. Great commitment to the job also.

The timing of this doesn't appear to make sense. We're still in with a chance of the play-offs. If the hope is that a new manager will get more out of the players (as Robbo did when he came in) then who is it going to be?

I'm not overly worried about retaining Div 2 status for next season - but I am very concerned about what type of player we will have next season if the club cannot attract a manager with good contacts or attract a level of investment that will allow us to pay the level of wages required to make a challenge for promotion.
I'm very worried that contracts permitting, we will lose players like Wallace, Linn, Campbell, Muir, Sloan and others and be back to playing players who are barely good juniors.
Suspect that we will have Gordon Durie to the end of the season - good luck to him. Hope he suceeds!

good man gone ...but we will always be a second division club at the best ...500 fur a home crowd ....the tax man wont be visiting methil soon ......f.t.r.

Opinion
I don't get this.
The team are playing like they did under Baikie (albeit different players) yet we could'nt wait to get shot of DB.
In my opinion this is the right move. A part time manager communiting from Inverness was never going to work.
Best of luck to Robertson but right he went.

Agree. The superb Cup performances only highlighted how woefully under-performing we've been. Cowden are brilliant in this piss-poor league, playing good football - we'd be matching them if we played like we did against the Pars and Aberdeen most weeks. We're a bigger, more successful Club than them, more fans, better ground - a history, players like Wallace, Linn, Campbell, Sloan, etc in our team.

Durie will fix the broken dressing room shambles (that's why Robertson had to go) and hopefully get the players more motivated at the very least while enjoying playing again. I'm well happy, the play-off is back on as far as I'm concerned and the chore of watching the team labour through games is hopefully over. Hopfully Jukebox can sort out Robertson's bypassed midfield, and the leaky defence, and we can start playing.

If we're happy with 5-8th place finish under Robertson's East Fife, playing mostly shit football and unhappy, demotivated players because "we've reached our level" while lesser teams hammer us, there's no point going to watch the football.

Use the good ball players in this team, get Bobby Linn involved, enjoying his football and we'll have Wallace firing us into the play-offs with games to spare.

We've got the man to instantly replace Robbo, a 43-cap, ex-Surs and Chelsea, multi title-winning player who's played in the World Cup/European Championships/Chapions League and who's a Fifer having played in the Black and Gold.

'Mon the Fife

Ps, Has Durie taken the team yet ? Didn't he take the team when we hammered Brechin away (could be wrong) ?

glad he's away,tactics were garbage,4 at the back recently against Dumbarton(1-2 down) with minutes remaining in a game we couldnt afford to lose.same subs week in week out ,sloan off for stoney then hissy for big scott.Our points total this season against the top 4 is embarrassing
Time for new ideas and players , the previously mentioned players Linn,brown etc are probably the main reasons why were still in the 2nd Div.
Campbell,Durie,Sloan and wallace have been our only consistent performers.
Get Sloan back in the middle of the park.

Where are the youth players???? can someone name a youth player who's come through the ranks and played regularly in the last 20yrs?

im not sure that money is the motivation at this level of football.The facts are that cowdenbeath had the second smallest budget of any team in the league and have been the front runners all season.A lot to be said for good team spirit and a system that works to the strength of the team.Players will sign and play at this level if they see a good set up and facilities and team spirit.Dumbarton going well with a team that is sprinkled with signings from the 3rd division that wouldnt have cost the earth.

mr know it all
If you all think for a minute that we will still be in the 2nd division by the end of next season then think again. John robertson was the man that made and got our best players at the club because of his name in the game. There is no chance we will keep the likes of linn, wallace,muir,brown,smith and a few others and replace them with better players on 150 a week. The club is going to back to the 3rd under these so called fife men up stairs. I won't be back at the club as from now until they get out, it reminds me of the brown
days. Gutted

Stay away then. Idiot.

What makes anyone think durie will do anything different or better,he was in the dressing room when according to everyone they were not motivated,whats going to change?Durie always said he'd take over from robbo when he felt he was ready,is he ready now?don't think so otherwise it would have been stated that that was the reason for robbo going.Same players on the bench every week is because we only have a first team squad of 18 so its going to be like that is it not?
I feel that 2 games a week for part time players will always bring problems such as inconsistency,players not fully fit but playing,lack of training ground time to work on things,you only have to look at the midweek results in our league to see how inconsistent most of the teams are so are we any different?
In summing up i feel robbo should have been given till the end of the season,no team is ever successful that changes its manager every season!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mixcloud.com%2FRealRadioScotland%2Freal-radio-football-phone-in-replay-010312%2F%3Ffb_ref%3Dcloudcast_page%26fb_source%3Dhome_multiline&h=yAQGZsNNsAQHoIv-ZHcigMgk3e1WTaLLjvhIHJng5uAchSg

Managed to have a word with Roughy & DJ tonight!

good manager. Great man. Thanks for the great nights and puttin some belief back in the fans and the players . always a legend in my eyes . aw the best for the future robbo a true football man .

Sad that the likes of Robbo has left the club today when i looked at my teletext, he put in his hard work for the team when he took over from Craw which we were probaly have been relegated under Craw last season if it wasnt for him coming in. Mind you Inverness is pretty far from where i come from so that would be exhasted but on the postive note i thought the team were decent to watch and we picked up wins against two SPL sides in the cup and we are currently one point from where we all want to be come May aswell. I wish Robbo all the best for the future, True Legend from the BBC Pudit will never forget the win at Aberdeen that night

Really disappointed that Robbo was sacked. Would have liked him to decide when he left the club. I know the travel was stressful but if Robertson felt he could do it then it should have been his call in my opinion.

Surely the end of season would have been better and a mutual agreement made? One point off the playoffs....cant help thinking he deserved better than this.

Anyway thanks for everything Robbo. The results against Dunfermline and especially against Aberdeen were very special, and you certainly lifted the club when it was on a big downward spiral.

I`d like to see a statement from the club giving the reason why Robertson was sacked. I`m not disappointed he`s gone as i did'nt approve nor understand the commute from Inverness and results/performances have been poor to say the least.
This past few months have seen appalling performances from a team that promised so much pre season and reminicent of Dave Baikies latter tenure.
Would have been better that he left rather than be sacked, so come on spineless board members, spill the beans and come clean for once!