Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New manager - who da ya want?

New thread so as not to entangle next manager speculation with JR tributes.

Some names to ponder:
Stevie Hislop
Gordon Durie
Marvin Andrews
David Weir
Greig Fatso McDonald
Jim Jeffries
Robert Sloan
Jimmy Calderwood
Someone from the Irish Leagues
Billy Brown.

Re: New manager - who da ya want?

Gary Boland

Gordon Durie

Now that it is clear that robbo has been pushed im not sure if gordon durie will take the job.Often in these circumstances the assistant will go as well to show support for the gaffer.Board have acted so that enough time for new boss to make play off push.Seem to recall that gary bollan has been interviewed for east fife job before, and left a very good impression with the board.Wouldnt be shocked to see him take the hot seat.Has the cv to work with youth teams that appears to be the way forward for the club.

Jose Mourinho,heard he was looking for a house in the area,failing that Gary Boland.

Don't think Gary Bollan would be keen to work at Neil Rankin's wee team.
Gordon Durie has been assistant for 18 months, and it was always Robbo's intention that Jukebox would succeed him.
If not, maybe Davie Weir would be worth a punt.

Been told one of the reasons JR parted company was the board want to get youth players into the first team but Robertson was against it, so can't see Gary Bollan getting the job as he has just lost his job with livingston for not doing the above.

Think the ideal man would be Alex Cleland who seems to want to be a first team manager.

Walter Smith-Gordon Chisolm-Jimmy Nicholl-Ally Mcoist(when he gets his p45).Billy Dodds- Gary Bollan-Hissy-Stevie Tweed-Jim Jeffries

Gordon Chisolm.

MaRY_BaLE
Gordon Chisolm.

Happy enough if Jukebox gets his chance but Chisolm would be my choice if Durie doesn't get/want it.

NOT Gordon Durie. Too many failed first time managers at the club in the last 2 decades!

Davie weir travelled up from england to play and train with rangers,now he's got a coaching job at everton cant see him travelling up for part-time football.
Paul Hartley,Durie/Hislop,Bollan,Ian McCall....not fussy so long as they have a plan B unlike Robbo!

John Robertson...

Anyone with experience and a half decent stature in the game. No more experimental managers, someone who knows how to win even if its ugly.

Gary bolan

Jay smart wants it it's on his Facebook and twitter

Fat Doug
Too many failed first time managers at the club in the last 2 decades!

Doesn't apply to Lennon and Cameron at Cowden, Nicholl at Raith and Archibald though.

or Derek McInnes or Owen Coyle or Davie Clarke...etc...etc

St Pauli Fifer
Fat Doug
Too many failed first time managers at the club in the last 2 decades!

Doesn't apply to Lennon and Cameron at Cowden, Nicholl at Raith and Archibald though.

or Derek McInnes or Owen Coyle or Davie Clarke...etc...etc

Lick my ass fannybaws!! How about Kirk, Shannon etc??!!

for all the so called successful first time managers you quote spf theres loads of failures so it really is your luck i think,ie right time to be at a club.

Methilmadman

Yes! Dear board, please make it so.

?
for all the so called successful first time managers you quote spf theres loads of failures so it really is your luck i think,ie right time to be at a club.

True, but I was answering Florida Doug's point to illustrate that a first-time manager doesn't automatically mean failure.

Methilmadman

After 3...

We all dream of a bench of Johnny Smarts...
Manager - Johnny Smart,
Assistant Manager - Johnny Smart,
First-team Coach - Johnny Smart,
Physio - Johnny Smart
Sports Scientist - Johnny Smart
Bloke with the Subbie Boards - Johnny Smart

NOT Durie nor anyone experimental. Proven manager with experience. McCall Bollan. Even worth a shot asking Jeffries till end of season

I would love Hissy to get the job.No matter what your opinion of him as a player the one thing he cannot be faulted on is his commitment to the club.

My guess is Jimmy Calderwood. Or someone else. But probably Jimmy Calderwood.

Calderwood would be a wrong move. He was not slow to say at both Kilmarnock and Ross County that the jobs were beneath him. At Ross County, he employed his son as his number two, then left his boy in charge of the shop for three days a week while he was in Spain.

Calderwood wouldn't go part time.

Ian McCall is worth a punt but has been out the game a long time but was highly rates before a disaster spell at Dundee United and Partick.

optional
I would love Hissy to get the job.No matter what your opinion of him as a player the one thing he cannot be faulted on is his commitment to the club.[/quote
Are u on crack?

KotS
Methilmadman

After 3...

We all dream of a bench of Johnny Smarts...
Manager - Johnny Smart,
Assistant Manager - Johnny Smart,
First-team Coach - Johnny Smart,
Physio - Johnny Smart
Sports Scientist - Johnny Smart
Bloke with the Subbie Boards - Johnny Smart

And the chairman, is Johnny Smart
The bo-o-ooooaaard, is Johnny Smart
The boy sell'n the programmes, is Johnny Smart
The bread bin belo-ongs to, Johnny Smart

SMARTY HAS THE ANSWER

WFEFM
optional
I would love Hissy to get the job.No matter what your opinion of him as a player the one thing he cannot be faulted on is his commitment to the club.[/quote
Are u on crack?

Steve Archibald.

optional
I would love Hissy to get the job.No matter what your opinion of him as a player the one thing he cannot be faulted on is his commitment to the club.

Me too.

Haha hissy as manager he's one of the bad apples in the dressing room

Problem

Source??? That is bollocks

Opinion2
Problem

Source??? That is bollocks

Yes, come on then. How have you reached this damning conclusion and who else are the bad apples? Be very careful what you say! The law might be after. A pathetic contribution on your part.

w manager - who da ya want?

Hissy is a constant moaner on the pitch and that can only be a good thing, he's played at a higher level than most of the players(and fans) at the club and although his contribution is limited ,his commitment is never in question.
i'll back whoever gets the job just wondering if there'll be an appointment before the end of the season

Re: w manager - who da ya want?

what about John Coughlin from East Stirling?

Re: w manager - who da ya want?

Barring a miracle [we reach playoffs] or disaster [we get relegated, then mid table mediocrity awaits. I would let Durie take charge until the end of the season and see what happens. There could be a far better choice of free managers by the end of the season.

MaRY_BaLE
optional

Me too.

Do you want a big spoon Mary?

Bring back Gavin Murray

When will you all learn that half the posts on here are from the players themselves ie hissi it's just my opinion don't want to start another war with mr hislop :..(

S-Pat
MaRY_BaLE
optional

Me too.

Do you want a big spoon Mary?

Davy Marshalls commitment to the club cannnot be faulted. Should he be made manager??
He does have a good understanding of what the club means to the ordinary fans unlike some players and coaches in the modern game.

If it is hissy or players name their post names. What would their aim be to post? O think it is you that is stirring up trouble for the players. Sad person so you are

Billy Davies?

Gary Megson
Fabio Capello
Stuart Baxter
Alan McGonigal
Willie McCulloch

Would be happy with any of these.

Deej
Bring back Gavin Murray

Ahh yes, is it not silver jubilee time for the red card campaign so good timing lol

Jim Duffy (Clyde)
Tom Hendrie - if he is still alive?
Iain McCall - Been in higher leauges with no budget
Gary Bollan - Took Livingston back up
Allan Maitland - Sacked by Alloa last Season
Craig Robertson - was with us when we won promotion under Moffat era.
Gordon Chisholm - took QOS to a Cup Final
Steven Frail - Ex Hearts man, believe to be at Celtic as a Youth Coach. Works for Raith with McGlynn.
Allan Preston
Billy Dodds
Jimmy Calderwood
Lee Bullen
Rangers coaches who will be axed soon Lol...

But see what the team does between now and May under Jukey.

Problem
When will you all learn that half the posts on here are from the players themselves ie hissi it's just my opinion don't want to start another war with mr hislop :..(

What are you about? What evidence do you have? Please name the other players and not just focus on Hislop. Or are you just someone who likes to stir things up and not concentrate on football matters? Get a life.

AHA
Problem

What are you about? What evidence do you have? Please name the other players and not just focus on Hislop. Or are you just someone who likes to stir things up and not concentrate on football matters? Get a life.

Don't get angry now Mr Hislop!!!

optional
........An earlier post claimed that Hissy himself may have posted.This is my post and my opinion.

If hislop is posting on this forum then it shows that he cares.

Why not let him cut his teeth as east fife manager. He's got the experience of playing at a higher level and in recent years has gained experience of how lower league football operates.

He's been trying to share his wisdom and experience with the other players for months now - why not give him a shot at implementing those ideas?

What makes him more qualified for the job than Gordon Durie who has played at a far higher level ? Brian McNaughton has been at Bayview for a number of games this season sitting in the Directors area - coincidence or maybe new manager ? Would be happy to give Jukey till the end of the season and see how the players respond. Thing is nobody has actually heard from Jukey whether he actually would want the job anyway!

Dukey till the summer and then get Jay Smart in. #ibleedblackngold

I am delighted that many of you would like to see me back as manager / programme seller / Chairman etc. However I am gutted that there hasn't been anyone calling for me back as a centre half.... I dream of a world of Black and Gold

Just like the England job, could levien no be east fife boss and be released to manage Scotland . . .

Aye right! Better no think line that

We want harry redknapp!

Personally I think giving the job to Durie until the end of the season is the best option. He has been with the club for what 18 months now? He knows the players better than any manager we could pull in right now!

so Hissy and AHA may be one and the same.explains the obsessive posts......but surely not?????bob hunter as his assistant?what a team.

Me, I want it Man, so much so that I am willing to stop doing drugs and stuff. Please get behind my name !!! Dougal, Dougal, Dougal, Dougal

Let's all do the Dougal, let's all do the dougal
NaNA NA NA, NANA NA NA HOI

Bollocks Dougal, what do you know about football ! We'd be better off with Gavin Bloody Murry back.

Lets all do the Murray, he be better in a Curry
NaNa Na NA, NaNA NA NA HOI

East Fife is in Scotland and it is close to the sea where all the oil is which will make us all rich and the fish and the windmills and the new wave machines and Stuarts the bakers and it is mine and I am in charge and you will obey and we will vote for me and East Fife has the same colours as the SNP so it must be mine and I like Cazza she can be my new speaker with that microphone and everything and Dougal from the magic roundabout he can come too why not Eh lets do it Dougal you and me. Oh I need a breath and another Pie Ahh

Dougal Dougal Dougal

LOL

I whole heartedly agree with FFK leave the manager's poaition with Durie until seasons end.

This would be a good trial to see if he can manage at this level.

It would at least eliminate a rush to hire a new manager for the rest of this season.

whoever gets the job WILL get a positive reaction from the players as has happened in the past, the problem is the players slip back into their comfort zone after a dozen or so games.There are 2 or 3 players needing to spend time on the bench and fight to get their place back.

AHem
so Hissy and AHA may be one and the same.explains the obsessive posts......but surely not?????bob hunter as his assistant?what a team.

Couldn't manage the game today so I thought I would do the next best thing and have a look at the Forum. No I can't. I am at Arbroath. No I am not. Its a mystery! Obsessive posts! What do you mean, AHem? I like to think that my (not Hislop) posts are balanced and constructive. Credit where it is due but also criticism where I think it is warranted, whether this is towards the team, individudal players, management, our style of play. At the time of this post, it is 2 2. Hislop has just equalised so unless he has his laptop under his strip, I dont think he could post this as AHA.

funny how you posted this at half time??
you should be having ur orange and listening to the team talk !!

Steven Tweed?

Please no. Just no.

im no statto,AHA but i think that hislops goal today takes him past ogelbys total for the fife.yip thats right,he has scored one more goal in his two years at the club than the "hopeless" ogelby managed in his short loan spell.8 and counting.

Hissy's goal record is clearly not prolific but you cannot say he doesn't bring more to the TEAM the Og did. Get off the man's back and show some support

AHem
im no statto,AHA but i think that hislops goal today takes him past ogelbys total for the fife.yip thats right,he has scored one more goal in his two years at the club than the "hopeless" ogelby managed in his short loan spell.8 and counting.

I have noted your attempt at sarcasm and that you are not a fan of Hislop. That is your entitlement, of course. I was not at the game yesterday so I cannot comment on Hislop's performance. (Another thread suggests that he did not do too badly against the second top team.)In fact given his performance against Forfar, I thought he would have been on the bench. IMO he could not have had any complaints. The new manager decided otherwise and it could be argued that his decision was justified. You can pick any statistic you want but I would agree with your view that overall, Ogelby was "hopeless". Most of his goals against Montrose and Elgin? Notice Hearts did not hold on to him very long after his loan spell! The other later response to your post on this thread sums it up nicely.

Since you appear keen to have a pop at Hislop and his goal scoring rate, and I have always said it should be better, being a forward is not all about scoring if YOU have any idea about football. Perhaps that is why Stevie Crawford, John Robertson and now Gordon Durie must think that Hissy has something to offer the team as a player and captain. Fact not a statistic for you: all these guys were forwards and ex Scotland internationals who have all played at a high level of football north and south of the border. You dont rate Hislop and that is up to you as much as I probably dont rate others who you think are players. Football is all about opinions. Lets agree to disagree!

AVB

Pie

Yasssss the pie man is back!! It's been too long!!

Me i would love to become new manager of East Fife Fc. I am from England and i am being very serious not a joke. I am a young person but am looking to get into Proffesinal Football Management. I believe East Fife can make Division 1. My style of play is about passing the ball around none of this long ball stuff it doesnt work. Passing the ball making chances will always get goals more entertaing for fans. I believe in Players should always give 110per cent in everything they do training, playing in the match and everything they do within there job. Footballers need to realise they are working class men like every supporter and that Fans pay good money to watch them and help pay there wages. i would expect players to always give there best and always listen to fans. I would always want a player to be mentally fit and physically right when they are playing i would like to see desire passion for the club and commitment whether they played 90 mins or even 10 mins. I believe young managers like me with no experience at pro level deserve a chance at a club in div 1 2 and 3 as a experienced manager can deliver or should deliver more but they dont always seem up for the challange they see it sometimes as a another job. Someone like me sees it as a challange exciting one and a challange they can build there way with the Board and Fans. I believe young managers will have more passion and desire to do well for a club and not use it as a stepping stone to take that club where they want with our ambition. I believe young managers from say 20 to 30 should be given a chance and jobs in football else young people will never come into management. I always believe East Fife should have a few experienced Players but also playing a lot more youth players and pushing them on. You need a good mix as more of the other is no good. If you have a whole team of top experienced players they rest on what they have to do too many young players can be good and bad can be good for results as they will give it there all but can be bad as if results dont go well they lose confidence quickly. I also dont believe in Managers in new jobs getting sacked all the time people need time to bring there ideas of football in and set there own regime up it cant happen over 1 or 2 months sometimes can take 6 months or a whole season. I just believe young managers can be a succes in a new job even if it is there first ever job.

Possibly the worst post I've read on AFTN!!

Fat Doug
Possibly the worst post I've read on AFTN!!

You mean you actually READ it?? I gave up after the first line!

Pie man for manager!

Ashley - Stick to Football Manager on the PC please

Ashley
Me i would love to become new manager of East Fife Fc. I am from England and i am being very serious not a joke. I am a young person but am looking to get into Proffesinal Football Management. I believe East Fife can make Division 1. My style of play is about passing the ball around none of this long ball stuff it doesnt work. Passing the ball making chances will always get goals more entertaing for fans. I believe in Players should always give 110per cent in everything they do training, playing in the match and everything they do within there job. Footballers need to realise they are working class men like every supporter and that Fans pay good money to watch them and help pay there wages. i would expect players to always give there best and always listen to fans. I would always want a player to be mentally fit and physically right when they are playing i would like to see desire passion for the club and commitment whether they played 90 mins or even 10 mins. I believe young managers like me with no experience at pro level deserve a chance at a club in div 1 2 and 3 as a experienced manager can deliver or should deliver more but they dont always seem up for the challange they see it sometimes as a another job. Someone like me sees it as a challange exciting one and a challange they can build there way with the Board and Fans. I believe young managers will have more passion and desire to do well for a club and not use it as a stepping stone to take that club where they want with our ambition. I believe young managers from say 20 to 30 should be given a chance and jobs in football else young people will never come into management. I always believe East Fife should have a few experienced Players but also playing a lot more youth players and pushing them on. You need a good mix as more of the other is no good. If you have a whole team of top experienced players they rest on what they have to do too many young players can be good and bad can be good for results as they will give it there all but can be bad as if results dont go well they lose confidence quickly. I also dont believe in Managers in new jobs getting sacked all the time people need time to bring there ideas of football in and set there own regime up it cant happen over 1 or 2 months sometimes can take 6 months or a whole season. I just believe young managers can be a succes in a new job even if it is there first ever job.

Apply for the Chelsea Job,you have more chance

Not possibly Doug, that IS the worst post I've ever seen on the forum. I actually feel bad for the guy haha

Dougal, Dougal, Dougal

Liz Anderson from East Fife Wummin's team?

There is a guy in Kirkcaldy who looks as if he's going to get the chop any minute?