Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
News from Official Site

"At a Boardmeeting yesterday evening it was agreed by the Board to part company with John Robertson.

The club would like to thank John for his efforts and wish him every success for the future"

That is the sum total of the news on Robbo's departure from the official site. No wonder people turn to aftn first, appalling!

Re: News from Official Site

Agreed. If u only read the official site ud be in the dark about who wastakin the team today

Being in the dark? I'm not having that! We have a highly efficient and effective PR department I'll have you know. What about that comprehensive statement the Board put out on the new stadium?

Some folk just want to know everything.

A Hibs fan at work yesterday said that Gordon Durie has been appointed manager. The official site has nothing to confirm this, in fact there is nothing to suggest he is even caretaker manage. Any chance of an update?

Aye, if a Hibs fan says anything is happening at Bayview, it must be true and our board should act on that basis! Would they have to do the same if it was a Hearts supporter?

Hibs? He should be worrying more about his own inept club and how long it'll be before they follow the huns into administration.

The Hibs supporter is well informed. Unlike The Dude, who thinks one of the most prudently run clubs in Scotland is going bust.

yesterdays daily record says durie will get job after todays match

It will be announced before today's game against the great unwashed.

Sigh!
Aye, if a Hibs fan says anything is happening at Bayview, it must be true and our board should act on that basis! Would they have to do the same if it was a Hearts supporter?

It could've been a teenage armchair Honved fan for all the diference that makes, I guess my point is still the lack of information on the official site. That's all. Sigh!

Scott tweeting congrats to his old man getting job so safe to say its official i think

fletch20
Scott tweeting congrats to his old man getting job so safe to say its official i think

Great stuff, proper East Fife legend, link to the Davie Clarke era too. Good luck to him and a win against Cowdung would be the best possible start, here's hoping

S-Pat
Sigh!

It could've been a teenage armchair Honved fan for all the diference that makes, I guess my point is still the lack of information on the official site. That's all. Sigh!

So, if you hear anything in a pub about East Fife, then the official site is out of order for not mentioning it one way or the other? Get real S-Pat!

Jobs don't get offered word of mouth and then broadcast everywhere by either party. What happens, is a contract is offered and accepted in writing, only then is it made official!

Sigh!
S-Pat
Sigh!

So, if you hear anything in a pub about East Fife, then the official site is out of order for not mentioning it one way or the other? Get real S-Pat!

Jobs don't get offered word of mouth and then broadcast everywhere by either party. What happens, is a contract is offered and accepted in writing, only then is it made official!

For clarity, The Official Site is a vast improvement on eastfife.org, reports are good, photography and videos excellent as are the stats, but the news content is appalling. It would be very difficult to disagree with that observation surely.

I am real!

S-Pat

I am real!

How do you know?

MaRY_BaLE
S-Pat

I am real!

How do you know?

Can you confirm?

S-Pat
Sigh!
S-Pat
Sigh!

For clarity, The Official Site is a vast improvement on eastfife.org, reports are good, photography and videos excellent as are the stats, but the news content is appalling. It would be very difficult to disagree with that observation surely.

I am real!

Don't you think the best way to announce the new manager was exactly how it was done?

Excellent piece on Gordon Durie's appointment now up on the official site. Credit where credit is due.

Methil Miner
Excellent piece on Gordon Durie's appointment now up on the official site. Credit where credit is due.

Agreed, that's a lot better. Sigh can now wind his neck in.

S-Pat
Methil Miner

Just admit ye jumped the gun S-Pat and getting worked up over a Hibs fan gossiping. Whether or not he was right or wrong, you can't be serious about the club website being poor because of gossip?

Sigh!
S-Pat
Methil Miner

Just admit ye jumped the gun S-Pat and getting worked up over a Hibs fan gossiping. Whether or not he was right or wrong, you can't be serious about the club website being poor because of gossip?

Looks like I have to spell it out for you. The official site lets itself and the club down by not giving enough content nor enough frequency with nes articles. The John Robertson departing article, which is what this thread started with was dreadful, the appointment of Gordon Durie piece was a vast improvement.

Sid Collumbine gives quotes to the press, radio, papers etc which should also be released as a news item on the East Fife site. It should be the fans first port of call to keep up to date with happenings at Batview.

Hopefully there will be an improvement in the future. Again for the avoidnace of doubt, I praised the site for it's other content.

S-Pat
Sigh!
S-Pat
Methil Miner

Looks like I have to spell it out for you. The official site lets itself and the club down by not giving enough content nor enough frequency with nes articles. The John Robertson departing article, which is what this thread started with was dreadful, the appointment of Gordon Durie piece was a vast improvement.

Sid Collumbine gives quotes to the press, radio, papers etc which should also be released as a news item on the East Fife site. It should be the fans first port of call to keep up to date with happenings at Batview.

Hopefully there will be an improvement in the future. Again for the avoidnace of doubt, I praised the site for it's other content.

It's you that needs it spelled out for you I'm afraid. You - heard - a - Hibs - Fan - saying - that - he - heard - that - Gordon - Durie - got - the - East - Fife - managers - job. In your opinion, you reckon because you heard that guy say it, then the East Fife website should have had it in their news section?
Has it not occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, both parties decided that the best way to announce it was before the game the very next day in front of the fans in person?
Why do you feel the need to whinge and pontificate on how East Fife should put out news to the public? Does it make you feel good, or what?

By the way, who decided that a website is the first port of call for information? What did we do before the web?? Does it really matter?? It's only a game y'know!

What a tit you are. The website was last with the news of our new manager.

Sigh!
S-Pat
Sigh!
S-Pat
Methil Miner

It's you that needs it spelled out for you I'm afraid. You - heard - a - Hibs - Fan - saying - that - he - heard - that - Gordon - Durie - got - the - East - Fife - managers - job. In your opinion, you reckon because you heard that guy say it, then the East Fife website should have had it in their news section?
Has it not occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, both parties decided that the best way to announce it was before the game the very next day in front of the fans in person?
Why do you feel the need to whinge and pontificate on how East Fife should put out news to the public? Does it make you feel good, or what?

By the way, who decided that a website is the first port of call for information? What did we do before the web?? Does it really matter?? It's only a game y'know!

Is your username Sigh because that's all you hear from whoever you are talking to? It's the first thing I do when I read your Pedantic Pete style posts!

Interweb
What a tit you are. The website was last with the news of our new manager.

I do apologise.
It's just that I was run off my feet getting the photos sorted out and uploaded after the game on Saturday night and fancied a beer around eight o'clock, so thought the article about the new manager could wait until Sunday morning.

This whole thread epitomises what AFTN has become.
A sorry load of sorry people arguing constantly.
Whats the bet the average age of those concerned is below 21 and who call themselves "real fans"?
A joke to be honest.

About time we had sign in details to filter out the idiots.

I think a lot of the arguments are based on a large part to the what has been happening on the park. It looks like another season of underachievement (that's about 23 of the last 25) and we're all frustrated about that. If we were challenging up at the top as we should have been then I suspect we wouldn't been having these sorts of fall-outs. There would be some of course. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

My view is that the official site is great for match reports, video highlights/photos and the social stuff. They are on the site quickly and that is as it should be and well done to those responsible. Where we are poor is in getting the news out whether this is about a new manager, team news, injuries, off field developments etc. We can do a lot better in those areas.

Opinion
This whole thread epitomises what AFTN has become.
A sorry load of sorry people arguing constantly.
Whats the bet the average age of those concerned is below 21 and who call themselves "real fans"?
A joke to be honest.

About time we had sign in details to filter out the idiots.

It amazes me that we even have fans under 21! I'm 20 and have no problem with the pathetic arguing even though it's pretty repetitive and boring, however why would anyone one else want to come and try support the club when the first thing they read is under 21s should be banned from the forum? Surely we should be encouraging new younger fans because lets be honest East Fife must have the oldest support in Scotland. Now thats the real joke.

The Dude
I think a lot of the arguments are based on a large part to the what has been happening on the park. It looks like another season of underachievement (that's about 23 of the last 25) and we're all frustrated about that. If we were challenging up at the top as we should have been then I suspect we wouldn't been having these sorts of fall-outs. There would be some of course. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

My view is that the official site is great for match reports, video highlights/photos and the social stuff. They are on the site quickly and that is as it should be and well done to those responsible. Where we are poor is in getting the news out whether this is about a new manager, team news, injuries, off field developments etc. We can do a lot better in those areas.

Well said, I think your 2nd para pretty much sums up what I said in previous posts, Sigh seems to be missing the point though.

For the benefit of Sigh, I'm 43 and an occasional idiot

Okay, I am older than most (60'ish) but have no problem with the younger supporters at all. My problem, which I freely admit, is not being happy at reading the constant moaning by so called supporters of the club, irrespective of their age. I know that some of the older supporters are just as bad, particularly at Bayview.

Why can't we all just get behind the club and the players and put all the whinging and out of order criticism of some players to one side?

This forum can be great, but it can also be pretty bad and embarassing, because a lot of people use it as a way of getting a jibe in about either the board, or a player, particularly if that player has played for another Fife team not too far away from us.

Where we are poor is in getting the news out whether this is about a new manager, team news, injuries, off field developments etc. We can do a lot better in those areas.

Mate, the website is run by volunteers. The guys that run the website, take photos, the whole programme operation (excluding the young guys who get a couple of quid for selling it), the guy who took on the responsibility of running the supporter's bus, the supporter's club, East Fife JSC, the groundsmen, etc - THEY DON'T GET PAID TO DO IT! It is all for the club. If you can't wait until the new manager has been announced on the website or read it in the press, I suggest you volunteer to write for the official website, hang about outside Bayview with a dictaphone, get the latest news, then rush back home to get the news up on the website. And make sure you do it BEFORE you've had your tea, had a coffee, sat down, got the feet up, read the paper, changed out of your working clothes.
Or would you rather the club slashed the budget for players so they can afford to employ someone to run the website full time?

If someone "in the know" were to post on AFTN: "Gordon Durie appointed as new manager. Full report on official site coming soon." that would be great. I'd imagine the volunteers would get to know these things before the rest of the supporters, but to expect guys to drop everything/ come home early from work/ cancel parties/ cancel holidays etc just so you can read about our new manager that bit sooner is beyond ridiculous.

All it took was (being the OFFICIAL East Fife FC website),

"The Club is delighted to announce that Gordon Durie has been appointed manager on permanent basis - more to follow..."

No need to miss tea or miss out on a beer. It could've been done with even less words if you wanted.

A new manager is the biggest announcement a Club can make (unless you're Rangers it seems). Whoever posted the Durie 'news' here on AFTN from the Club could've posted it on the website too.

Some folk think the internet is a waste of time but it's the first place the media and people all over the world look for 'official' announcements'. Think that's the point S-Pat is making....

It's otherwise a brilliant site.

St Pauli Fifer
All it took was (being the OFFICIAL East Fife FC website),

"The Club is delighted to announce that Gordon Durie has been appointed manager on permanent basis - more to follow..."

No need to miss tea or miss out on a beer. It could've been done with even less words if you wanted.

A new manager is the biggest announcement a Club can make (unless you're Rangers it seems). Whoever posted the Durie 'news' here on AFTN from the Club could've posted it on the website too.

Some folk think the internet is a waste of time but it's the first place the media and people all over the world look for 'official' announcements'. Think that's the point S-Pat is making....

It's otherwise a brilliant site.

Maybe the official job start date was on the Saturday at 3pm and that is why the announcement was made then? Announcing it a day earlier therefore, would not have been correct!

Besides, what is so bloody important about it being announced first on a website? Get a grip lads!!

Sigh!
Okay, I am older than most (60'ish) but have no problem with the younger supporters at all. My problem, which I freely admit, is not being happy at reading the constant moaning by so called supporters of the club, irrespective of their age. I know that some of the older supporters are just as bad, particularly at Bayview.

Why can't we all just get behind the club and the players and put all the whinging and out of order criticism of some players to one side?

This forum can be great, but it can also be pretty bad and embarassing, because a lot of people use it as a way of getting a jibe in about either the board, or a player, particularly if that player has played for another Fife team not too far away from us.

So let me get this right, if a fan moans about anything, they're a 'so called supporter' and not a 'real supporter'?

I am a glass half full kinda girl. I never get on players backs on this forum but I understand the right of other people to do so. I understand that improvements have been made behind the scenes of the club but as a supporter, I would like to see it go further.

Welcome to the 21st century where people of all ages can express their opinion on just about anything, whether you think it's right or wrong.

Kerriann
Sigh!

So let me get this right, if a fan moans about anything, they're a 'so called supporter' and not a 'real supporter'?

I am a glass half full kinda girl. I never get on players backs on this forum but I understand the right of other people to do so. I understand that improvements have been made behind the scenes of the club but as a supporter, I would like to see it go further.

Welcome to the 21st century where people of all ages can express their opinion on just about anything, whether you think it's right or wrong.

No, you haven't got it right at all. You fall into the same trap as the others when you say it is okay to have a go at players or the board, but cannot get to grips that if you post on here, then you yourself become a target for criticism because somebody else disagrees with you. That is all I am doing and I cannot believe some of the comments being made (eg - Bobby Linn thread) are by people who profess to support East Fife. By the way, who mentioned 'real supporters'? If I see criticism of my team, I am perfectly entitled to question the said critic's allegiance! Or is it only a one way thing and once a post is made by someone, it cannot be challenged?

Also, computers are not only a 21st century phenomenom and have been around a lot longer during the 20th century. My first introduction to them being in the late 70's.
In addition, the internet (WWW) is NOT a 21st century only entity either, and it's invention in 1991 is credited to a thoroughly 20th century chap called Timothy John Berners-Lee, a sprightly 56 year old!
What I am really saying is that all the fun etc that the younger generation get from the internet, is actually down to old codgers like me!!

Sigh!
What I am really saying is that all the fun etc that the younger generation get from the internet, is actually down to old codgers like me!!

Did you invent porn like?

MaRY_BaLE
Sigh!

Did you invert porn like?

INVERT -REVERSE PORN??

Sigh! just admit you're a reactionary auld fart who doesn't like change, the modern world, people who disagree with you or anyone with a world view that doesn't conform to your narrow-minded prejudices.

So there.

Hugo Chavez
Sigh! just admit you're a reactionary auld fart who doesn't like change, the modern world, people who disagree with you or anyone with a world view that doesn't conform to your narrow-minded prejudices.

So there.

Hugo, you are falling into the same trap as well mate. Why do you think that a post by someone cannot be challenged just because it is a criticism of the club/players etc? You have just contradicted yourself in the same post!

Welcome to the human race!

MaRY_BaLE
Sigh!

Porno has been around a lot longer than computers deary... and me!

(I really wonder at the intelligence of some folk on here?? )

Sigh!
MaRY_BaLE
Sigh!

Porno has been around a lot longer than computers deary... and me!

(I really wonder at the intelligence of some folk on here?? )

For an auld, grumpy man, you seem to spend an awful amount of time on this interweb thing.