Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Would the erection of terracing increase the average attendance at Bayview?

I am currently studying HNC Business at Adam Smith College and as part of my course I am to undertake research. So, I thought I would undertake research on East Fife. The purpose of the questionnaire is to discover whether the construction of terracing at New Bayview Stadium would help to increase the average attendance. This is a topic that has been discussed recently so I thought it would be interesting to see if it would make a large impact.
It would be very helpful if you could take a minute to answer some quick questions. Thanks

Questionnaire

Re: Would the erection of terracing increase the average attendance at Bayview?

Done it. Good luck with the research

Wouldn't know,never had a terraced erection.

Done it Ross and good luck with your survey.

There's a slight inconsistency at Q6 which is aimed at people who do not attend regularly but does not allow a response for those who do. Nor does it allow a nil response.

Had you included a return email address I would have pointed this out privately.

I think this could be a very important issue should we gain promotion. With Raith, Dunfermline, Dundee and Falkirk all likely have a greater demand for tickets than we can supply, surely the building of a couple of small open terraces behind each goal would be financially worthwhile. I've no idea of the cost of building something like that, but given the potential for increased gates in those 8 games, I would expect it would more than pay for its self. Even if it didn't quite cover it, having them there for use in the future would clearly be of benefit long term.

Thanks for all the responses and support so far.
Well observed Eugene, I never noticed that when I read through it. Some respondents have added a comment saying "NA" or that they do go to all the home games so hopefully it does not effect the results too much.

Survey done!

Someone mentioned erection?

"Would the erection of terracing increase the average attendance at Bayview? "

No.

MaRY_BaLE
"Would the erection of terracing increase the average attendance at Bayview? "

No.

Maybe not but it would sure as hell improve the atmosphere and overall match day experience. Just looking at Forfar's terracing on the highlights, what a difference that would make to Bayview and would also make it look like a proper football ground. Like it used to be on Wellesley Road....

Done it, Ross.
Terracing would undoubtedly be for the benefit of all; better atmosphere leading to bigger crowds, better performance on the park as the players respond to the atmosphere etc.

Ross done it, good luck. I agree with Jim, long term it could increase crowds. If you have played at any level having even 50 fans singing and getting behind a team spurs you on and without doubt gets an extra 10% out of most players.

Jim Corstorphine
Done it, Ross.
Terracing would undoubtedly be for the benefit of all; better atmosphere leading to bigger crowds, better performance on the park as the players respond to the atmosphere etc.

Plus, you would be able to have a blether with fans, while perched on the bye line waiting on photo opportunities Jim!!

I think you will enjoy reading my survey response.

Terracing would encourage part-time supporters to come more often. I don`t go to Bayview as much as i used to as i`m on a brutal shift pattern but i suppose i would make more of an effort to attend more home games if it was a better atmosphere.

There are some really constructive comments made by some respondents. Much appreciated
Blister in the sun, I can not see exactly who each respondent is but I can see when you responded so if you posted about your response when you submitted it you make an interesting point that I would never have thought about. Not sure my small survey would prompt the Scottish football hierarchy to investigate it further though.

I love that terracing behind the goals at Forfar. That all the way round at Bayview would be erection-tastic!

St Pauli Fifer

I love that terracing behind the goals at Forfar. That all the way round at Bayview would be erection-tastic!

That, plus the pishy wee bit behind the other goal and a 5 step terrace along the side. Basically Station Park, but with a great big fuck off grandstand and the most superior playing surface in europe

Davie
St Pauli Fifer

That, plus the pishy wee bit behind the other goal and a 5 step terrace along the side. Basically Station Park, but with a great big fuck off grandstand and the most superior playing surface in europe

I'd take 5 steps round the 3 sides. Not even arsed about a covered enclosure. Anything to make it 4-sided. That Forfar high terracing is the dug's though. Just like old Bayview but newer. Wonder how much that would cost to put behind a goal ?

There were probably around no more than a dozen people making use of the raised terracing at Station Park on Saturday.
In addition to construction costs, additional terracing would considerably add to annual rates bill. Also you have annual crush barrier inspection costs etc.
Don't think it is something that should be a priority until we are filling the rest of the place.

St Pauli Fifer

No fussed about the terracing in the photo......but Forfar have done the right thing in letting dogs attend the game.

Am a dog an a wizna at the gene oan seturday!

Ritchie
There were probably around no more than a dozen people making use of the raised terracing at Station Park on Saturday.
In addition to construction costs, additional terracing would considerably add to annual rates bill. Also you have annual crush barrier inspection costs etc.
Don't think it is something that should be a priority until we are filling the rest of the place.

That's just a rubbish short-sighted argument I'm afraid (are you related to anyone on the Board at all?). The match was at Forfar and they have a smaller support both actual and potential, so it does not surprise me there was only a dozen behind the goal. We would have many more believe me and we do not at first need to have it all the way round too.

No-one in Scotland, apart from the OF when they play each other, gets capacity crowds. Cowdenbeath are looking at at a new stadium I believe. They average about 320 for home games so by your logic then they might as well built a wee 400 capacity stand and be done with it. They will not do that of course and will be quite right not to be so stupid.

The arguments in favour have been outlined by people above as well as myself, but I would reiterate again that if we get promoted this season or in the next couple then there will be times when 2000 will be inadequate never mind all the atmosphere etc arguments. Arbroath and Peterhead both played the OF in cups this season, both were at home and got live TV coverage as a result. We could not have played those games at Methil under current circumstances and would have lost tens of thousands in TV revenue as well as the publicity.

I could go on, but the arguments in favour far outweigh those against. Yes there are financial considerations as you point out but once the terracing has been paid for and the financial considerations of erecting the terraces taken into account (make them able to be turned onto seating if required for example) then inspections etc are no more than annual running costs, stuff businesses routinely budget for (they will not be massive in any case).

If the club wishes to advance beyond Division 2 and as any ambition at all then it's a no-brainer frankly.

Hugo Chavez
Ritchie

That's just a rubbish short-sighted argument I'm afraid (are you related to anyone on the Board at all?). The match was at Forfar and they have a smaller support both actual and potential, so it does not surprise me there was only a dozen behind the goal. We would have many more believe me and we do not at first need to have it all the way round too.

No-one in Scotland, apart from the OF when they play each other, gets capacity crowds. Cowdenbeath are looking at at a new stadium I believe. They average about 320 for home games so by your logic then they might as well built a wee 400 capacity stand and be done with it. They will not do that of course and will be quite right not to be so stupid.

The arguments in favour have been outlined by people above as well as myself, but I would reiterate again that if we get promoted this season or in the next couple then there will be times when 2000 will be inadequate never mind all the atmosphere etc arguments. Arbroath and Peterhead both played the OF in cups this season, both were at home and got live TV coverage as a result. We could not have played those games at Methil under current circumstances and would have lost tens of thousands in TV revenue as well as the publicity.

I could go on, but the arguments in favour far outweigh those against. Yes there are financial considerations as you point out but once the terracing has been paid for and the financial considerations of erecting the terraces taken into account (make them able to be turned onto seating if required for example) then inspections etc are no more than annual running costs, stuff businesses routinely budget for (they will not be massive in any case).

If the club wishes to advance beyond Division 2 and as any ambition at all then it's a no-brainer frankly.

I fail to see that having a ground surrounded by empty terracing will improve the atmosphere, and how the very presence of terracing would encourage more fans to attend........particuarly when the money to erect the terracing will mean a depletion in funds for the player budget.......how will a poorer team make attendences go up......because you can stand in the rain to watch them.......nah....doesn't make sense for me.

This isn't a chicken and egg problem.......there is no capcity problem to be solved so why go to the expense of ground improvements. It's an under capacity problem the club has, not an over capacity one! 2000 seats is OK (but not ideal) for 1st division football.

I take your point about the occasional big game. These are 1 in every 5 years or 1 in every 10 year events.......if the sums say the money from these infrequent big games cover the costs, then yes terracing may be a go-er.........but the sums say it is not viable.

Yes there is a passion for terracing amongst the fans......but it costs money, and the return on investment is not worth it IMO.

beer in the stands, dogs and cheerleaders will improve atmosphere and average attendance at bayview.

Ritchie

What about if we're hosting Rovers, Pars, Dundee, Falkirk twice next season and then mibbes an SPL team in the cup next season. Is 1,990odd capacity enough???

Waiting until we have to turn paying customers away (as has been pointed out that could easily be next season with Dunfy, Raith, Dundee etc) would be a really short sighted thing to do.

Seating is for bums.

Haw Einstein

What about if we're hosting Rovers, Pars, Dundee, Falkirk twice next season and then mibbes an SPL team in the cup next season. Is 1,990odd capacity enough???

Possible Not....but would the money from the 100-200 that are turned away cover the cost of terracing......definatley not.

In the histroy of New Bayview there must have been something like 250+ games.......how many were sell outs....2?

When cowdung, stirling were in the 1st last year, what was their average attendance?

I'd love there to be terracing.......but it just doesn't make sense. I'd rather the money was spent on securing Ryan Wallace for next year.

MaRY_BaLE
Haw Einstein

Possible Not....but would the money from the 100-200 that are turned away cover the cost of terracing......definatley not.

I'd love there to be terracing.......but I'd rather the money was spent on securing Ryan Wallace for next year.

Exactly

Raith will have bigger crowds if in the same division as East Fife and in all home league games this season have only had attendances significantly over 2000 on 3 occassions (2 x Dundee, 1 x Falkirk).
Raith,Hamilton,Morton,Livingston,QoS and Ayr all have averages of less than 2000. Ayr are about the closest comparison to EF and have an average of less than 1500.

Fifer
MaRY_BaLE
Haw Einstein

I'd love there to be terracing.......but I'd rather the money was spent on securing Ryan Wallace for next year.

Exactly

Aye well that's as maybe but we won't be keeping Ryan terracing or no.

Still if you've been happy for the past 14 years sitting in a soulless, characterless and atmosphere free ground, three quarters of which resembles a prison wall rather than a football ground then I'm happy for you. Frankly some of us, actually quite a lot of us, are a bit fed up with that situation and continuing for another 14 in the same vein will not lead to the club moving forward in any meaningful sense (i.e. becoming an established Division 1 club).

Hugo - I'm not saying I'm a fan of bayview. I'm just saying that terracing is not the solution and will in fact bring more problems.

1st division football and bayview as it is are not mutually exclusive.

Build it... they will come,

Not The Other Chairman
Ayr are about the closest comparison to EF and have an average of less than 1500.

Ayr and East Fife aren't comparable if we're talking about prospective away crowds at Bayview in the 1st. If we were to end up in the league we're all dreaming of you'd have;

Pars (Fife, a derby)
Raith (Fife, a derby)
Cowden (Fife, a derby)
Dundee (over the bridge from Fife)
Falkirk (pretty damn near Fife)
Livi (central)
Hamilton (just off the M8)

Partick (far enough away)
Morton (far away)

Ayr is miles away and they'd never get decent away crowds from the east-coast/central belt. They'd also not have three sets of 1st Div derby matches as we would.

Didn't Cowden v Raith draw about 2,200 ?

Even Stirling managed to pull in a crowd of 2,168 in the first.

I agree we would seldom fill the ground, but we would a few times I reckon. Our groound doesn't even quite hold 2,000 at present.

Would be a travesty to even turn away 100-200 (never mind a potential 500) punters - ever.

S-Pat
Seating is for bums.

Someone mention bums?

Raith Rovers league average this season is less than 2000 and have only significantly exceded 2000 on three occassions. SPF you are using a set of circumstances that could disappear after a season -
Dunfermline get promoted and EF get relegated.
Much as I dislike sitting and would prefer to stand on terracing to spend money we don't have would be folly. Last year we had an operating loss of £38K so I am sure the banks will be lining up to lend EFFC money for terracing.
p.s. Ayr crowds in the second div 2010-11 were double ours.

Not The Other Chairman
Raith Rovers league average this season is less than 2000 and have only significantly exceded 2000 on three occassions.

It certainly won't/wouldn't be with one, two or three derbies though. They got 6,000 against the Pars last time I think. No derbies for them this season and a losing team on the park.

I'm not even talking about terracing now (for once). I thought the debate on this thread had gone on to capacity - our sub 2,000 capacity ground in a hypothetical (but realistic) 'Fife' 1st Division, even a temp 500 stand if we were to make it up a league (money-pemitting).

Hugo Chavez
Fifer
MaRY_BaLE
Haw Einstein

Exactly

Aye well that's as maybe but we won't be keeping Ryan terracing or no.

Why will we not be keeping Ryan?

Their are loads of companys that can erect stands in less than an hour that seat around 160 rough cost is £8 or £9 per seat so if we do go up and we can fill them a profit could still be made and more fans see the game.

All this erection talk...

Why do we need a new stand,ok terracing would be fine but do we really need them,most of would all like terracing,but why waste money that we have not got.we have a stand thats holds 2000 thats is all we need in the first division,and we would be lucky to fill that.

It would be far more profitable to convert the existing stand to terracing and sell the seats.

A crazy idea but no more crazy than building stands and terraces that would not be filled.

Is our 1,992 capacity the smallest league ground in the whole of Scotland (now that Firs Park is gone)? Just wondering. Not that it'll be an issue next season after yesterday

Hugo Chavez

That's just a rubbish short-sighted argument I'm afraid (are you related to anyone on the Board at all?). The match was at Forfar and they have a smaller support both actual and potential, so it does not surprise me there was only a dozen behind the goal.

There average crowd is under 100 less than ours

Will terracing increase crowds IMO No,product on the park increases crowds..

I presume a ticket for the terracing would be slightly cheaper than the stand is now. In which case, in these economically straightened times, I'm certain it would increase attendances.
Myself, and many others I'm sure, would love to go to more games but can't justify the expense on a regular basis so currently choose to do things that cost less than £13 on a regular Saturday afternoon. I have to pick & choose my games. If there was a cheaper way to get into the ground, I'd be delighted to stand. If the atmosphere was good in that part of the ground, well, I'd be even more of a certainty.

St Pauli Fifer
Is our 1,992 capacity the smallest league ground in the whole of Scotland (now that Firs Park is gone)? Just wondering. Not that it'll be an issue next season after yesterday

I take you have not been to coatbridge.

What is it with Another Sigh and his continued digs at SPF? Did he sh!t in your kettle or something?

Another sigh
St Pauli Fifer

I take you have not been to coatbridge.

A fair few times, aye. I forgot about Cliftonhill. Second smallest in Scotland then.