Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Reasons to be cheerful ( Part One)

I know the Albion Rovers result was sair one but were still in with a shout of the play off's. Positive Mental attitude and all that.

What's have been your reasons to be cheerful this season?

Mine are(leaving the some more obvious ones for others).
The performance I witnessed at Aberdeen.
Support at Kilmarnock game.
Fightback at Arbroath.
The red away top.

Re: Reasons to be cheerful ( Part One)

Reasons to be cheerful - League Cup run and Ryan Wallace.

Reasons not to be cheerful- the likelihood that we won't make the play-offs. This has been yet another distinctly average season in a poor quality league and was our best chance to get to Division 1 for a long-time. And with two from QoS, Raith or Ayr possibly in our league next season it will be a lot tougher next time.

...and probably the 3 other Fife teams above us in our 'holy grail' league next season. Would make us officially the wee team of Fife. Puke. As said above this was our chance. Hope we've not consigned ourselves to a decade or so in the 2nd. Less importantly, our strip is bogging too - worst ever.

Ryan Wallace has been a sensation and a joy to have in the black and some gold. The Cup runs were something else. I thought had we kept 11 men on the park we'd a great chance of beating Killie who went on to win it. Best thing to cheer about is our new management team/change. Gives us hope....

Amazing isn't it!

Someone posts here outlinig reasons to be cheerful, indicates his own and asks what other things we have to be cheerful about. He even names the thread "Reasons to be Cheerful".

And what happens? The first two responses hit the negative button!

Too many folk with Durkheim's Nordic gloom gene!!!

I'm away to look at a half empty bottle.

Eugene Clarke
Amazing isn't it!

Nah, on both counts. It's down to the cold, hard reality of the situation we're in, in Fife's football hierarchy.

Are you really surpised Eugene? Isn't this typical on AFTN, especially after a defeat?

We are still in control of whether we reach the playoffs or not. We just need to win all our remaining games and get our goal difference above Airdrie and Stenhousemuir (which would be helped with a convincing win against Airdrie in a couple of weeks!)

I just think the best thing to do now is to forget about how the other teams (Airdrie, Stenny, Dumbarton) get on and concentrate on what WE have to do for the last 3 remaining games. Win them and just hope for the best.

Eugene Clarke
Amazing isn't it!

Someone posts here outlinig reasons to be cheerful, indicates his own and asks what other things we have to be cheerful about. He even names the thread "Reasons to be Cheerful".

Why are you surprised? Might it be possible that after such a bad result, which has all but ended our hopes of grabbing the last play-off place, the mood is more negative than positive?
We lost a match to a poor team, at home, at a time when we can't afford to lose because we have lost so many matches already. Why shouldn't people be gloomy?
It doesn't make me feel any better that some prick thinks that this is a place to drop the name of a sociologist who will mean nothing to 99% of the people who read this forum.

Durie must go.

Eugene Clarke
Amazing isn't it!

Sunny optimism supporting East Fife? Yet again we are the worst team in Fife, have blown a great chance to get promotion in a piss poor league and you're happy about this? I wish, no really, wish I could just shrug my shoulders and go, oh well better luck next time but 45 years of following this club has had all that sucked out of me. And the 4 or 5 thousand others who have disappeared in that time too and just don't bother watching at all now. I sometimes wish my dad had taken to me to see someone else back in the 60's!

BTW I did post my cheerful stuff first but really the league campaign is what counts and we have been mediocre for far too much of the season, especially at home.

Hugo Chavez
Eugene Clarke
Amazing isn't it!

Sunny optimism supporting East Fife? Yet again we are the worst team in Fife, have blown a great chance to get promotion in a piss poor league and you're happy about this? I wish, no really, wish I could just shrug my shoulders and go, oh well better luck next time but 45 years of following this club has had all that sucked out of me. And the 4 or 5 thousand others who have disappeared in that time too and just don't bother watching at all now. I sometimes wish my dad had taken to me to see someone else back in the 60's!

BTW I did post my cheerful stuff first but really the league campaign is what counts and we have been mediocre for far too much of the season, especially at home.

Good post

MaRY_BaLE
Durie must go.

You must have heard a certain fan with a moustache at the final whistle MaRY.

I was going to ask why it is so hard for a lot of us to see the glass half full but i realised that would be a negative comment.

What I would say is if you are not getting joy, happiness or excitement out of an activity, or you wish you never started it it probably is time to give it up.

I can recommend a dose of SSRI's and some CBT and you'll be right as rain. Failing that fuck off and support man utd

WFEFM
I was going to ask why it is so hard for a lot of us to see the glass half full but i realised that would be a negative comment.

What I would say is if you are not getting joy, happiness or excitement out of an activity, or you wish you never started it it probably is time to give it up.

I can recommend a dose of SSRI's and some CBT and you'll be right as rain. Failing that fuck off and support man utd

On come on, Man Utd? Actually it's Barcelona. Man Utd are shit.

Joy, happiness and excitement? At Bayview? You're one hell of a crazy fucker . Tell you what, I'll look out for you on Saturday. You'll be the one with the old fashioned rattle no doubt, with a "Play-up Fifers' rosette pinned to your chest and stupid grin to match slavering at the prospect of an imminent 6th place after a plucky draw against the league's worst team. As for me, I'll be wearing my usual black and gold grim reaper's rope rabbiting on about evil pagan influences ruining the club and vowing not to come back unless Charlie Fleming and Henry Morris are reinstated to the starting line-up with immediate effect.

Now excuse me while I go and watch The Wicker Man in glorious high definition whilst composing a lengthy suicide note

You are getting your wish wefm. Fanbase getting smaller and will get smaller still. Maybe have 50 left who don't mind how far we fall behind our rivals underachieving. Congrats. Telling fans to fuck off and support someone else ha ha

On come on, Man Utd? Actually it's Barcelona. Man Utd are shit.

Fat Fingers

Opinion
Hugo Chavez
Eugene Clarke
Amazing isn't it!

Good post

Pish post!

Gatekeeper
You are getting your wish wefm. Fanbase getting smaller and will get smaller still. Maybe have 50 left who don't mind how far we fall behind our rivals underachieving. Congrats. Telling fans to fuck off and support someone else ha ha

Who says having a thread about this seasons highs means you don't care how well the club is doing compared to its rivals local or otherwise?
Lots of loyal east fife fans care about that very much. The point I was making was if you want to see your team winning all the time go (i.e. fuck off) and support Man U or Barca.
Quite what the benefit of that is to Scottish or Fife football I dont know but if it makes you happy then braw. All the sky subscriptions will certainly help Rupert Murdoch so congrats to Hugo for supporting his comrades legal fees (unless your part of the Methilhill Barca Travel club).

PS Q for statt0's have our crowds declined at a faster rate than other similar clubs?

WFEFM
The point I was making was if you want to see your team winning all the time go (i.e. fuck off) and support Man U or Barca.
Quite what the benefit of that is to Scottish or Fife football I dont know but if it makes you happy then braw. All the sky subscriptions will certainly help Rupert Murdoch so congrats to Hugo for supporting his comrades legal fees (unless your part of the Methilhill Barca Travel club).

What would make me happy is for East Fife, my team, our team, to challenge Cowdenbeath for the league - not supporting Man Utd.

Think the point is, no one's threatening to leave East Fife or is interested in going to watch Man Utd or Barca. We're all diehards on here, both so-called negative and positive. Think we've ALL picked our team. It's not about losing it's about not playing to our potential and watching lesser or equal Clubs do far better (season on season now).

We've got talented players. We've got a goal machine, we've got class in Sloan and Smith. We've got an exciting full-back in Durie, we've got class at the back in Campbell and other solid stoppers. Easily good enough to challenge for the league ? - maybe, easily good enough for a comfortable play-off spot ? - definitely.

No one can expect any fan to be in a happy-go-lucky mood finishing likely 5th or 6th out of the 10 (in a relatively weak 2nd division, we'd all agree) with the league's top goalscorer and with a lesser Fife Club pissing all over this league marching on to the First to join the Pars and Rovers.

Sure, we should've punted Robbo much, much earlier - and thankfully the Club has, and now we're on the right track with Durie and Chisholm.

Can't see why we should 'force out' and look for positives when on the grand scheme of things this season we have been well below par in the league. A team that battered Dunfermline at Bayview and scored 3 at Pittodrie, shouldn't be getting easily beaten from the league's second bottom team at home, all-but ending our season.

I didn't see too much moaning before this thread (or arguably, even in it), just realism. Fans need more than a day or two to digest underachievement (season ending prematurely) before moving on.

Only real supporters like wfefm are allowed to be cheerful eh wfefm?

Rocket!

Supporter
Opinion
Hugo Chavez
Eugene Clarke
Amazing isn't it!

Good post

Pish post!

No it was a good post. And mine's is bigger than yours. Way bigger.

Opinion
Only real supporters like wfefm are allowed to be cheerful eh wfefm?

Rocket!

Naw mate I wouldn't say that. Most people can be cheerful if they try hard enough.
My opinion is any human being that claims to support a team is by definition a real supporter are they not? And whats lettuce got to do with it? Love and Peace xxx

I'm with WFEFM on this.

Far too many negative vibes.

Come on the Fife, let's put the icing on the cake by making the play offs!

Hugo Chavez
Eugene Clarke
Amazing isn't it!

I wish that your dad had takenyou to watch someone else too. It's not too late away and join the Rovers Scum.