Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: move on

Davie
Fifer
I would be radical and offer them all a new contract. They're all capable players and perhaps a bit of consistency might give us the edge next season. As far as I can discern there appears to be a lot of harmony off the pitch as well, witness Paul McQuade, possibly the most unfortunate member of the squad's reaction to Dalziel's goal at Dumbarton. We might well lose wee Ryan, and good luck to him if he does step up he deserves it.
We also need to back our new management team. Two or three defeats in a row is not a disaster, Gordon Durie is in his infancy in football management, he will make mistakes as did his mentor who went on to become the greatest East Fife manager in modern times.
Time to buck the trend of hiring and firing.

Excellent post fifer. We have a good team, let Durie & Co coach them, get the best out of them in training and push for the title next year.
Any players we sign should be East Fife players - not loan players.
Re John Ovenstone - overweight?! You obviously haven't stood next to him! He's approaching 30. Sign him up for the next four years, play him at centre half. Would love to see him get a testimonial. So what if he might be at fault for a few goals, might get sent off, whatever - at least he tries. I'd rather have that than have someone from Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, who is only thinking about getting a recall to his own club.
Overall it's been a good season. Staring relegation in the face, to going into the last game of the season still in with a chance of the play offs - IF we thrash Arbroath, and Airdrie and Stenhousemuir get DESTROYED, we can still make it.

Here we go with "at least they try" nonsense!! I would love to play for East Fife and would try my damnest to do well, but there is one thing that stops me which is that I`m not good enough.

pat
I would agree with that but would let Hislop go, mcquade ,and ovenstone. Hislop may want to hang up his boots strikers are judged on goals and not scored enough. Mcquade for me is too over weight and has had plenty of chances to show what he can do but failed everytime.Ovenstone is another who is far too over weight and has got slower every year , He try's his best but just not quick enough. There is plenty of talent within the team and it just needs added over the summer with maybe 2 new defenders and another 2 strikers who can score 15 plus a season. Hope we can keep hold of wallace and add someone with him .

Disagree entirely about Paul McQuade. Don't think he's had much of a chance at all this season to show what he can do. We all know how good he was a Cowdenbeath a few years back and now that Wallace might be away (likely) in the summer, I reckon McQuade will finally have the opportunity to earn his place in the squad. Having said that, I still think we need another new, tall (Templeman, Deuchar type), fast, young striker to play alongside McQuade because I think Dalziel and Hissy are both too slow and not good enough in the air. They'd be good enough to keep as subs. Reckon we need two younger, fast wingers as well because Linn is the only fast-ish, winger we have but he's been so inconsistent and disappointing this season in my opinion. Would like to see someone else come in and challenge for his position because I think too often this season he's made the starting line up no matter what happens. Think that's been our major problem this season; too many players thinking they can make the starting team however well they play. Really want to see some more fight and desire from the players to earn their places in the squad for next season. The following players are who I'd like to keep for next season: Brown, Campbell, Durie, Johnstone, Sloan, Wallace, Cook, Smith, White, McCormack, McQuade.

Got to disagree with most on here that want to see Andrew Cook stay. Cook has played well the last few months but there are better players in the league who we could get to come in, that have just a bit more experience which would hopefully rub off on the rest of the back line to tighten it up.

Got to keep guys like Stoney, McQuade, Div and Ovvie in there. Local guys who know what it's like for the fans. As I said, all decent players willing to fight for their place in the squad. These boys have spent weeks on the sidelines through injury yet are proud to pull on the black and gold when called upon. That means everything to this Fifer.

its ok saying Mcquade must be giving a chance but for me something about him stinks...here's a guy who should have ripped 2nd division defences apart but 2 managers now have seen fit to keep him on the bench mostly, which means his attitude in training cant be that great.
i'm not an admirer of Bobby Linn BUT we looked a far poorer team against Airdrie without him...very 1 dimensional on Saturday imo(great away support BTW).
Brown,Campbell,Whtye,Cook(good player to have in squad)Durie,Sloan(hopefully in central midfield!!)Smith,Linn,Wallace,McCormack.

I think all said we have had a good go at things. I feel it is a real shame that Hissy didn't get more minutes in several games. Once again yesterday when he came on we seemed to have a little edge. He holds the ball up far better than our other forwards and as for yesterday Scott Daziel how he didn't get taken off at half time I don't know. He is murder, does not have a clue, touch or any pace. He should be playing on a Sunday. Hope the two gordons get some players to play with for next season. Yesterday with out Bobby and Ryan we didn't have many options. PS at the begining of the season I thought Sloany was pish but rate him now and was disapointed to see him come off yesterday. Only thing is he always looks tired. I just wonder if he is trying to do too much running during the week. Good numbers yesterday again, we must have one of the best travelling supports in the league. Hope Ryan gets a decent Club If I was him the only teams in the first next season I would leave the fife for would be Falkirk or Dundee. I think he would do well under Elvis at Falkirk with a lot of other good young players.

There's no room for contracts being thrown about for sentimental reasons. As much as guys like Stoney put effort in, he sadly doesn't have the quality to perform week in week out at this level, 9/10 his crosses/corners don't beat the first man and for a winger it's not good enough! Same with Ovy, as much as he is good header of the ball and puts effort in, I'd rather have someone with a bit of tactical knowledge, Campbell has been our best centre half this season due to the fact he reads the game well not because he's the biggest or hardest tackler.

1/2 Defenders
2/3 Midfielders
& A Striker if Wallace does leave.

If we can get quality over quantity we'll be okay. Next season I really really hope we put a bit of faith in youth, our youth system/team has been up and running now for what 3 years? surely there are guys who could step upto the 1st team now?

kenwit
its ok saying Mcquade must be giving a chance but for me something about him stinks...here's a guy who should have ripped 2nd division defences apart but 2 managers now have seen fit to keep him on the bench mostly, which means his attitude in training cant be that great.

And who would you have dropped to make way for Paul McQuade? Paul has been a victim of Ryan Wallace's success pure and simple. He isn't able to replace Hissy or Dalziel, different type of player altogether.

Fine, move on but which players are out of contract at the end of the season and who has signed for next season. Anybody know ?

Fifer

And who would you have dropped to make way for Paul McQuade? Paul has been a victim of Ryan Wallace's success pure and simple. He isn't able to replace Hissy or Dalziel, different type of player altogether.

are u serious???? hissy or dalziel....we are talking about Mcquade who came from the SPL to Div 2? and couldnt replace them.
would love to know his game time in mins since arriving here

Exiled Fifer
Fine, move on but which players are out of contract at the end of the season and who has signed for next season. Anybody know ?

Only Div Muir signed for next season. Everybody else is out of contract after Saturdays game. Thats what worries me about Ryan. He can walk into any 1st division team he wants and we don't get a penny for him.

Travelagent

Only Div Muir signed for next season. Everybody else is out of contract after Saturdays game. Thats what worries me about Ryan. He can walk into any 1st division team he wants and we don't get a penny for him.

we will get money for Ryan as I said in an earlier post he is under 24.

I may be wrong zak but if ryans out of contract how do we get money for him even if he is under 24,we got him for nothing when he left airdrie!Like i say i'm no expert on the complications of our transfer rules

as long as the club offer him a new contract then if he decides to leave any club signing him must pay a fee. Depending on where he goes it would not be an insignificant sum either!

I have been reading the posts on who people want to keep, and there are some listing 9/10 players. Personally i think we are overdue a wee clear out of players just for the sake of freshening up the squad! Last year we nearly reached the play-offs, and when we managed to tie down some of the key men from that campaign all of us were delighted. However if we look at this year the same shape and same key players have not managed to build upon last years progress. Maybe its time to look toward fresh blood, rather than sticking to what we know and bitching about them underperforming every week

Good point.
Pre season most of us thought we`d win this league given the players we have.
Time for exodus to commence. Clear the decks i say. Get rid of the dead wood.
Keep 5 and move the rest on.

zak
Has anybody got money to buy Ryan as he is under 24 so whoever wants him they will have to cough up.

We've just signed a £40k sponsorship with Singapore company Subsea.

I'd love to see Wallace as CP next season.

I'd also take McQuade back in a minute

The players we have weren't good enough this season so highly unlikely they will be good enough next season.

Not rocket science

Tam
Davie
Fifer
I would be radical and offer them all a new contract. They're all capable players and perhaps a bit of consistency might give us the edge next season. As far as I can discern there appears to be a lot of harmony off the pitch as well, witness Paul McQuade, possibly the most unfortunate member of the squad's reaction to Dalziel's goal at Dumbarton. We might well lose wee Ryan, and good luck to him if he does step up he deserves it.
We also need to back our new management team. Two or three defeats in a row is not a disaster, Gordon Durie is in his infancy in football management, he will make mistakes as did his mentor who went on to become the greatest East Fife manager in modern times.
Time to buck the trend of hiring and firing.

Excellent post fifer. We have a good team, let Durie & Co coach them, get the best out of them in training and push for the title next year.
Any players we sign should be East Fife players - not loan players.
Re John Ovenstone - overweight?! You obviously haven't stood next to him! He's approaching 30. Sign him up for the next four years, play him at centre half. Would love to see him get a testimonial. So what if he might be at fault for a few goals, might get sent off, whatever - at least he tries. I'd rather have that than have someone from Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, who is only thinking about getting a recall to his own club.
Overall it's been a good season. Staring relegation in the face, to going into the last game of the season still in with a chance of the play offs - IF we thrash Arbroath, and Airdrie and Stenhousemuir get DESTROYED, we can still make it.

Here we go with "at least they try" nonsense!! I would love to play for East Fife and would try my damnest to do well, but there is one thing that stops me which is that I`m not good enough.

And a might too odl

its all well saying have a clear out but what if nobody wants to come next season??? and will those fans wanting new and better players dig deep to fund such players???
Didnt Brechin have a clear out and new blood at the end of last season? (hardly improved their cause)
lets be realistic ,let go the 2 or 3 who arent up to it, bring in what we can and hopefully add some youth players to the squad,although pity help any youth player looking for encouragement from the Home fans!

zak

we will get money for Ryan as I said in an earlier post he is under 24.

This money will be based on the clubs contribution to the players development as a "youth player", given the short time he's been at Bayview the club will be lucky to get £1000 for him. Even Raith would pay this for him if (when) they lose Baird. That's two weeks wages for Iain Davidson.

Here we go with "at least they try" nonsense!! I would love to play for East Fife and would try my damnest to do well, but there is one thing that stops me which is that I`m not good enough.[/quote]

Fair enough Tam. What I'm saying is that I still think John Ovenstone is good enough and I'd rather watch him play for us, than have a sh*t hot Hearts youngster playing for us for half a season. If I wanted to watch Hearts players, I'd buy a Hearts season ticket.

Obviously there will be a divided opinion about loan players, my guess would be that the majority of fans are all for them. 1 or 2 would be fine - for a WHOLE season. Anything else is a disruption.

Fookie Nell
Good point.
Pre season most of us thought we`d win this league given the players we have.

Its the same ever year and no doubt be the same next year."we should walk the league","we have the best squad in the league, ""best ground",best support" blah,blah blah

Why would nobody want to come to the club? Surely now more than many seasons the chances of getting good players in have increased?? Most teams in the first are substantially cutting back on budgets, so there will inevitably be players falling down the leagues. Also you would like to think that with the contacts the management team have we may be able to get a few in.
I just think any team, not just east fife can let the team go stale. We've kept a majority of these players for a good few years now and we dont seem to be progressing.
Also everyone seems to think that to get players in you need a massive budget to attract quality players, if that were the case the cowdenbeath book-keeper must be earning his money!!

Say some boys from Hearts come on loan, have a good half season and enjoyed playing for the club. When they don't cut it at the higher level and are released at the end of the year they know the club well and will more than likely want to sign for a team where they have some mates and are given a fair crack to prove the larger team wrong for releasing them.

The likes of Matthew Park still come along some weekends to watch us play which is great news considering he has actually been released. If he can get past his knee problems he definitely should be part of our squad challenging next year.

Mathew was at the game on Saturday. Would be a great signing.

I think the problem we may face in the summer is while we would all broadly agree on who we would LIKE to see stay, it may not be a choice the manager gets to make. With talk of teams like Morton, Raith and Partick going for mixes of full and part-time, a number of the better part-time players in the country (of which I'd say Linn, Wallace and Smith are 3) will be on their radar.

I'd like to think we may benefit from some players moving in the opposite direction though, you never know who may end up without a full-time offer.

I do think though if we're serious about getting out this division in the right direction we need to be honest about what players aren't good enough for it. Players like Ovenstone and Johnstone are not 2nd division league winning standard and Big Hissy was finished when he left Raith.

Hopefully the summer is kind to us, we can keep the majority of our better players, clear out the dead wood and replace them with good quality, hungry, young players.

Spot on.