Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Season Ticket Prices 2012/2013

Imagine charging an oap £10 to watch East Fife!! What a joke! People will just stop going, simples.

I think the club should be congratulated on charging under 18s who are in education child prices.

I can remember being in fifth year doing my highers with no income being charged as an adult at Bayview!!

Morrissey
I think the club should be congratulated on charging under 18s who are in education child prices.

I can remember being in fifth year doing my highers with no income being charged as an adult at Bayview!!

agree......but those who are 60 and in full time employment now get it cheaper!?!?

They should just have 3 fares - 1 for concessions, 1 for working class folk, and 1 for folk that deem themselves middle class. Problem solved.

I think the proposed pricing policy for next season is bizarre. Over the last 2-3 seasons the club have forced to play midweeks in Jan and Feb to catch up with postponed matches, and the attendances drop dramatically.
Surely the answer is to entice people to pay up front, by offering as many incentives as possible thus ensuring the money is in the bank, regardless of the weather, dissapointing form, three games in a week, etc.

As a bare minimum the season ticket should include SFL play off matches, and home friendlies.
Other incentives, which could actually earn the club additioal income could be:
£10 off kids replica top
£20 off hospitality
Couple of vouchers for free hot drink with purchase of pie.
Bring a guest half price to 1 Match
etc.

The proposed pricing structure is in danger of turning away a lot of 65-79 year olds, with season tickets nearly doubling in prce, and matchday entrance up 50%. either because they can't afford it, or refuse to pay it.
Also if 2000 over 80's sign up for free admission, there will be no room for paying punters.
Hope the board can explain or even better re-think this idea.

Ritchie
I think the proposed pricing policy for next season is bizarre. Over the last 2-3 seasons the club have forced to play midweeks in Jan and Feb to catch up with postponed matches, and the attendances drop dramatically.
Surely the answer is to entice people to pay up front, by offering as many incentives as possible thus ensuring the money is in the bank, regardless of the weather, dissapointing form, three games in a week, etc.

As a bare minimum the season ticket should include SFL play off matches, and home friendlies.
Other incentives, which could actually earn the club additioal income could be:
£10 off kids replica top
£20 off hospitality
Couple of vouchers for free hot drink with purchase of pie.
Bring a guest half price to 1 Match
etc.

The proposed pricing structure is in danger of turning away a lot of 65-79 year olds, with season tickets nearly doubling in prce, and matchday entrance up 50%. either because they can't afford it, or refuse to pay it.
Also if 2000 over 80's sign up for free admission, there will be no room for paying punters.
Hope the board can explain or even better re-think this idea.

Jist let awbuddy in fur nuhing, that'll keep awbuddy happy!

Wigan Premier league prices for next season,

Under 5's FREE (£0.00 per game)
Under 11's £50 (£2.63 per game)
Under 16's £85 (£4.47 per game)
Under 21's & Students £170 (£8.95 per game)
Family (ie 1 Adult & 1 Junior) £255 (£13.42 per game i.e £6.71 each per game)
Family (ie 1 Adult & 2 Juniors) £305 (£16.05 per game i.e. £5.35 each per game.

Just shows how overpriced our game is.

k
Wigan Premier league prices for next season,

Under 5's FREE (£0.00 per game)
Under 11's £50 (£2.63 per game)
Under 16's £85 (£4.47 per game)
Under 21's & Students £170 (£8.95 per game)
Family (ie 1 Adult & 1 Junior) £255 (£13.42 per game i.e £6.71 each per game)
Family (ie 1 Adult & 2 Juniors) £305 (£16.05 per game i.e. £5.35 each per game.

Just shows how overpriced our game is.

Just shows you how wealthy their owners are.

scottish fitba is miles behind the times with pricing and encouraging fans into the stadium, under 16's should be free if with an adult, elder statesmen should be encouraged into the ground, say a fiver, most folk spend money on programmes, pies etc so its all income at the end of the day and surely its better to have 1000 in the ground than 600, heaps of english clubs identify potentially unpopular home games when the fixtures come out and let everybody in for a fiver, it maybe a tenner nowadays, on the basis that a full stadium is better for the team and those fans will spend in bars, shops pie stalls etc, why dont scottish clubs do this kind of thing, a club like east fife could actually have a home game and make it a quid to get in to see what response they would get, why not

It's a tough one as books have to balance.

The big discount has been tried by other clubs in the past. And it increases crowds for the first few games, but after that the crowds fall back to normal levels and the club is left with the same overheads but with less income.

One solution may be to offer players a contract that has remuneration based on gate receipts. But this is unlikely to find favour amongst players. And if EF are the only club offering this sort of deal then we'd soon find ourselves isolated with players opting to go elsewhere.

In terms of increasing attendances (in the short term), there isn't a silver bullet. There is a "natural limit" based on local population and their disposable income. A winning team always helps, but then that opens up the whole chicken and egg situation, and numerous clubs have fallen "fowl" by overspending on players in the hope that success will come and revenue will increase as a result. Barring a windfall or sugar-daddy, we are at the mercy of what the fan-base can afford to spend.

But, EF are not at that natural limit yet and there are some things that can be done to boost revenue.

An enticingly priced season ticket is a good start. It secures income upfront, and means that you have the punters money even if they decide not to attend. A full fare ticket at £160 works out at under £8.90 a game, so is pretty good value. However, we only get ~100 season tickets sold a year, so perhaps something else needs done here. Perhaps a two tier season ticket offer: The “Black” ticket which gets you into league games (say £120), and the “Gold” ticket (say £220)which includes all cup and playoff games, a cap parking space, reserved seat, match program, and pie, and 4 guest tickets.

Making the season ticket free for OAPs and Kids is a good call as they are likely to bring a full paying adult with them. And as the song goes, "Children are the future".

Longer term increase of attendances requires engaging better with the fan base. Morton managed to do this very well a few years back and are still one of the best supported teams in the lower leagues. This is no mean feat given that 20 old firm buses leave Greenock every week, and on average, the disposable income in Inverclyde is among the lowest in Scotland.

But increasing the attendance is only half the challenge. The club also need to look at ways of getting more revenue from the attending fans.

Suggestions are:
* Bookies in the stadium. Lots of people attending bayview have a bet on the game so why not do it through the club.

* Pre match Lunches…….there is a market for this…..just need to offer the right food at the right price

* Pre match Drinks….need to get more people in the bar for longer…….live football helps (but it is expensive) and perhaps a pre-match meeting with the manger where he announces the team and gives the fans a “geeing up” ahead of the game

* In play drinks…… need to lobby the SFL/SFA on this as this could be a big money earner for lower league clubs

* Take out a one-off advert in the visiting club’s match day program with a voucher for £3 off entry, and a 2-for-1 voucher on match deal meal. This would hopefully bring more visiting fans to bayview, and get them to the club earlier to spend money in the bar and bookies.

* Stovies

The board have a tough job to do when it comes to balancing the books. The solutions are not obvious and have no guarantee for success. I’m sure they’d welcome any ideas to help get more money in (or less money out). But, it’s not all up to them. We the supporters need to play our part in encouraging new fans (or lapsed fans) to bayview, or existing fans to come more often. And we also need to support the initiatives the club are trying……lets back the 2012/13 season ticket offer and play our part in turning the fortunes of the club around.

A few good points from MaRY_BaLE, must of had the sensible head on.

The point is we as fans are coming up with lots of examples and ideas, but the board seem reluctant to try anything different.It's good that the family ticket is reasonable and that a discount applies before a certain date but thinking outside the box in future wouldn't go amiss!

Poor Jim Corstorphine. At least he only has a few more years to wait until it's free for him. .......................................................jim Corstorphine hasnt paid into a game for years.The last time he paid in East Fife played in green and white hoops and their shorts were just below the knee.

I am horrified at next seaons ticket prices, I am a single father of 9, how Im i supposed to bring my kids to watch the great EFFC when prices are like this! I may ring up the club and complain as I as dont feel my support of the club over the last 5 minutes is being appreciated.

Live games would be a big pull for fans to get to the ground a bit earlier. Did a barmaid not win an EU legal challenge to show live games without subsidising Rupert Murdochs pension via a sky subscription.

I think it was an arabic station she got beamed in and there are always games via the tinternet. Sound down Cazza doing the commentary ... Sorted!!!

Going to away games,you notice more and more pubs in the towns are showing live footy via arabic satellite channels.Would be good in the bar at bayview,and can only bring more punters in.

prices may be a bit steep but ill be paying them well worth it to watch my belovid fife

MaRY_BaLE
It's a tough one as books have to balance.

The big discount has been tried by other clubs in the past. And it increases crowds for the first few games, but after that the crowds fall back to normal levels and the club is left with the same overheads but with less income.

One solution may be to offer players a contract that has remuneration based on gate receipts. But this is unlikely to find favour amongst players. And if EF are the only club offering this sort of deal then we'd soon find ourselves isolated with players opting to go elsewhere.

In terms of increasing attendances (in the short term), there isn't a silver bullet. There is a "natural limit" based on local population and their disposable income. A winning team always helps, but then that opens up the whole chicken and egg situation, and numerous clubs have fallen "fowl" by overspending on players in the hope that success will come and revenue will increase as a result. Barring a windfall or sugar-daddy, we are at the mercy of what the fan-base can afford to spend.

But, EF are not at that natural limit yet and there are some things that can be done to boost revenue.

An enticingly priced season ticket is a good start. It secures income upfront, and means that you have the punters money even if they decide not to attend. A full fare ticket at £160 works out at under £8.90 a game, so is pretty good value. However, we only get ~100 season tickets sold a year, so perhaps something else needs done here. Perhaps a two tier season ticket offer: The “Black” ticket which gets you into league games (say £120), and the “Gold” ticket (say £220)which includes all cup and playoff games, a cap parking space, reserved seat, match program, and pie, and 4 guest tickets.

Making the season ticket free for OAPs and Kids is a good call as they are likely to bring a full paying adult with them. And as the song goes, "Children are the future".

Longer term increase of attendances requires engaging better with the fan base. Morton managed to do this very well a few years back and are still one of the best supported teams in the lower leagues. This is no mean feat given that 20 old firm buses leave Greenock every week, and on average, the disposable income in Inverclyde is among the lowest in Scotland.

But increasing the attendance is only half the challenge. The club also need to look at ways of getting more revenue from the attending fans.

Suggestions are:
* Bookies in the stadium. Lots of people attending bayview have a bet on the game so why not do it through the club.

* Pre match Lunches…….there is a market for this…..just need to offer the right food at the right price

* Pre match Drinks….need to get more people in the bar for longer…….live football helps (but it is expensive) and perhaps a pre-match meeting with the manger where he announces the team and gives the fans a “geeing up” ahead of the game

* In play drinks…… need to lobby the SFL/SFA on this as this could be a big money earner for lower league clubs

* Take out a one-off advert in the visiting club’s match day program with a voucher for £3 off entry, and a 2-for-1 voucher on match deal meal. This would hopefully bring more visiting fans to bayview, and get them to the club earlier to spend money in the bar and bookies.

* Stovies

The board have a tough job to do when it comes to balancing the books. The solutions are not obvious and have no guarantee for success. I’m sure they’d welcome any ideas to help get more money in (or less money out). But, it’s not all up to them. We the supporters need to play our part in encouraging new fans (or lapsed fans) to bayview, or existing fans to come more often. And we also need to support the initiatives the club are trying……lets back the 2012/13 season ticket offer and play our part in turning the fortunes of the club around.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have printed them out and will raise them at the next Board meeting.

Can you also ask the board to make a statement or give reasoned argument why people who have because of age beensubjected to a rise in price that makes following our team probably the most expensive experience in the division.it is hardly likely that people as sixty year olds become first time supporters.it is more likely they have contributed to the coffers for a number of years so this 40% plus increase is hardly a recognition of such support

Early bird concessions for Fife teams:

Cowdenbeath
£100 (65+)

Dunfermline
£140 (60+)

East Fife
£140 (60+)

Raith
£100 (60+)

Fifer

1st Division Football
Cowdenbeath
£100 (65+)

1st Division Football
Dunfermline
£140 (60+)

2nd Division Football
East Fife
£140 (60+)

1st Division Football
Raith
£100 (60+)

St Pauli Fifer
Fifer

1st Division Football
Cowdenbeath
£100 (65+)

1st Division Football
Dunfermline
£140 (60+)

2nd Division Football
East Fife
£140 (60+)

1st Division Football
Raith
£100 (60+)

St Pauli Fifer
Fifer

1st Division Football
Cowdenbeath
£100 (65+)

1st Division Football
Dunfermline
£140 (60+)

2nd Division Football
East Fife
£140 (60+)

1st Division Football
Raith
£100 (60+)

It would also be interesting to know what each club offers a season ticket.
At East Fife it is 18 SFL league games only. No friendlies, no cup ties, not even Fife Cup, and no playoff games. Also no discounts on merchandise, hospitality etc.

Cowdenbeath
http://www.cowdenbeathfc.com/index.php?act=viewNews&id=1059

Dunfermline
http://www.dafc.co.uk/staticFiles/1c/b0/0,,10288~176156,00.pdf

Raith
http://www.raithrovers.net/3498/season-tickets-go-back-on-sale-amazing-value-for-money.htm

Fifer

Cowdenbeath
£100 (65+)

Dunfermline
£140 (60+)

East Fife
£140 (60+)

Raith
£100 (60+)

Poor show East Fife, come on have another look at this, it's obviously been a mistake. How about the board puts their hands up and admits they got it wrong?

Cowdenbeath - League games only
£100 (65+)

Dunfermline - League games only
£140 (60+)

East Fife - League games only
£140 (60+)

Raith - League games and friendlies
£100 (60+)

OAP
Poor Jim Corstorphine. At least he only has a few more years to wait until it's free for him. .......................................................jim Corstorphine hasnt paid into a game for years.The last time he paid in East Fife played in green and white hoops and their shorts were just below the knee.

Jim Corstorphine has spent over £3,000 on cameras, lenses and repairs over the past five years for equipment that is used SOLELY taking pictures at East Fife matches, so kindly consider this before coming out with such statements. And in any case, you can't enjoy the match watching through a camera viewfinder, as I have to do for ninety minutes.

Well said Jim