Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Players signed for next season???

I was having a look at the suggestions for potential signing and there are some really good ideas, but it made me think, doese anybody else feel that our team this year was lacking a wee bit of physical presence. Particularly in midfield i've felt we have come up against teams who have been able to bully us off the ball a bit too easily. I'm not saying we need to fill the team full of giants, but maybe a couple of bruisers in the team wouldnt be a bad idea.
Some of the better games i have seen hisplop play this year was when he was able to use his height to win the flick ons, and push defenders about a bit.

Micheal Brown has been immense for a couple of seasons,and won The Player of the Year from The Travel Club last season,me and Micheal did not see eye to eye at the start but he would be the first player I would pick every game,and Darren Smith for our Captain,I will be sad to see a lot of players go and hissy was one of my favourites, I would like to wish all the players who are leaving all the best,and Boaby lover will miss Bobby.Good Luck Lads for the future and thanks for some memorable great games and goals.
Thanks from Kenny and Becky.

Sign that Skivington lassie from the ladies team. Always scoring for them.

Are you joking !!! I have been at most of the games this season and stevie campbell has been our best performer along with smith and wallace. He reads the game very well wins his headers and tackles you clearly have never played football before if you cant see this!!

In The Gordons We Trust
I was having a look at the suggestions for potential signing and there are some really good ideas, but it made me think, doese anybody else feel that our team this year was lacking a wee bit of physical presence. Particularly in midfield i've felt we have come up against teams who have been able to bully us off the ball a bit too easily. I'm not saying we need to fill the team full of giants, but maybe a couple of bruisers in the team wouldnt be a bad idea.
Some of the better games i have seen hisplop play this year was when he was able to use his height to win the flick ons, and push defenders about a bit.

Not just physical strength but mental toughness too. I see some pretty fragile characters out there, some of whom appear to lack any spirit at all when things start to go awry on the pitch and who take it personally at the slightest bit of negativity coming from the crowd. Guys who can't hack it and cannot handle a bit of rough can frankly go elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

We need to get some mentally strong players into the club, guys that can demonstrate a bit of leadership and who aren't going to pathetically cry into their twitter accounts when the going gets tough. Where are the Davie Clarke's, the Stevie Kirk's, the Colin Methven's, the Jim McLaren's, the Stewart Burgess's these days?

The Gordon's should hold The Wullie Broon Factor auditions this summer. We're due a big hard bastard player. Wullie Broon is God - lets sign Jesus.

What we do need is to improve on is our defensive performances. Cowdenbeath won the title on the back of a sound defensive record with only 29 goals conceded. Compare than with virtually everyone else in the league including ourselves. We need to be much harder to beat first and foremost. That may not be to evryone's liking as it will entail a more pragmatic approach to games but history tells us you can't succeed if you concede goals at the rate we have done in recent seasons. Start building a team from the back and the rest will take of itself.

Hugo Chavez
What we do need is to improve on is our defensive performances. Cowdenbeath won the title on the back of a sound defensive record with only 29 goals conceded. Compare than with virtually everyone else in the league including ourselves. We need to be much harder to beat first and foremost. That may not be to evryone's liking as it will entail a more pragmatic approach to games but history tells us you can't succeed if you concede goals at the rate we have done in recent seasons. Start building a team from the back and the rest will take of itself.

Agree that we need to be harder to beat and that the goals against in recent seasons has been poor but the as any manager will say ..defending starts from the front,Strikers who can hold up a ball...and midfielders especially wide midfielders have to track back, be able to tackle and help out the full back, we only had 1 midfielder who could tackle and win the ball regularly this season

For the 2nd season in a row i fear US getting a corner as the delivery is usually poor and we end up caught on the counter,set pieces are crucial in the game and apart from Sloans direct free-kicks we dont look like scoring from set plays.

Fifer
Are you joking !!! I have been at most of the games this season and stevie campbell has been our best performer along with smith and wallace. He reads the game very well wins his headers and tackles you clearly have never played football before if you cant see this!!

No, I can assure you I am not joking. Best performer!! Lets not go overboard, for goodness sake! We must be looking for different things or have different standards and expectations. And yes, I have played the game. Have you? If you have, we will have to agree to disagree. For example, he is too easily bullied by opposing forwards. He does not let the opposition forwards know they are in a game. He must be a joy to play against from what I have seen!

I would agree with you about Smith and Wallace but we are poles apart as far as Campbell is concerned. Lets see what happens next season. Will we be as tight at the back as this season ((NOT!!)? As you have seen most games, as I have, you must accept that Campbell and co. have not defended as well as they should have but, of course, that will be everybody else's fault (forwards, midfield, full backs, goalie, subs) not your hero!

Look at the 3 - 2 - 1 over the last number of games and Campbell is in it every week.

I go to every game and he is best defender we have and always makes himself available to take the ball.

Is everybody wrong except you ?

Supporter
Look at the 3 - 2 - 1 over the last number of games and Campbell is in it every week.

I go to every game and he is best defender we have and always makes himself available to take the ball.

Is everybody wrong except you ?

I am only offering my opinion like everyone else, so lets move on. May be my standards/expectations are different so Campbell would defo not be my first choice defender. But the manager has decided to keep him on so lets see what happens next season. Have a happy close season to one and all.

Sounds like Ryan Wallace is joining Falkirk Rumour has it the deal is almost done Hope it's not true