Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: home fans

Last year’s squad failed to perform to their capabilities and should than take responsibility for their own short comings rather than take a parting shot at the club’s supporters.

I am a fan of Bobby Linn’s and had hoped he would be with us next season and re-kindle his form of a couple of years ago. Perhaps the management team feel that his wage would be better spent elsewhere, and if so, I respect their judgement.

I understand how SPF and others feel, particularly at the moment given that the season ended in disappointment, but thoughts of walking away should be extinguished right now.

Let’s just take a rest for EF for a bit, see who the manger brings in during the close season, and look forward to next season with optimism and hope.

It’s not all bad you know – we’re in a decent financial state, with great facilities and a superb management and coaching team that will be looking to bring in the very best players their budget will allow. Longer term we have the full-time youth setup which should bring through local talent.

Players come and go, but this is our club and we are here to stay.

See you next season SPF

St Pauli Fifer
Bayview is a horrible place to watch football. Everything about it. The place is either like a morgue or the fans get on a player, or the players', back for the majority of a game. There's not enough encouragement or enough recognition when a player does a nice bit of play.

I think I must be a closet gloryhunter as I'm so scunnered (and embarrassed) that we finished 4th bottom in a shite league, while the football giants of Cowden pished all over us yet again, strolling this league to join the other two, that I can't see me buying a season ticket again. Time to wean myself off this fruitless obsession that is East Fife.

I moan about everything - Bayview Stadium, the folk running the Club, the laughable strip, the fact that smaller teams do better than us decade on decade. I think we've consigned ourselves, needlessly, to another 10 years of 2nd/3rd division frustration at least, and I personally need to try and jack-in the Fife for my sanity. Can't keep going for the sake of going. There's no enjoyment at Bayview. We're going to end up with 300 diehards for a home support pretty soon.

Your spot on, you are the eternal moaner and just about sum up all the keyboard enabled supporters, your glass is always half empty, never half full, you never have a good thing to say about the how the club is run. You didn't want Robbo even before he was appointed, never heard you praising him when we were playing well but you were quick of the mark to slag him when we played badly, you're always taking a swipe at the club whenever the opportunity arises so if you decide not to come back I dare say you won't be missed (as long as you stay of this board), maybe some of the fans you scunnered might come back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, GoF should shut this forum down, it serves no positive purpose for player, team or fan moral, when was the last time this board had a meaningful thread discussing an upcoming game?

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the players leaving for their commitment to EFFC and wish them all the best in the future.

BTW: the person who shouted "disgrace" to Bobby hasn't been back since, I hope that's the last we hear him a Bayview.

BrianL

Your spot on, you are the eternal moaner and just about sum up all the keyboard enabled supporters, your glass is always half empty, never half full, you never have a good thing to say about the how the club is run. You didn't want Robbo even before he was appointed

If you decide not to come back I dare say you won't be missed

I can't believe you bring that up. I was clearly right about Robertson. Sacked wherever he goes, likes his drink too much, has the little-big-man syndrome, pissed off loads of players and got sacked when we were heading for a relegation fight. Great appointment, eh? Let's see if he gets another manager's job.

As for your second point, I'd be utterly shocked if you shout as much encouragement and start as many chants as me on matchdays at Bayview.

You tell me what the glass is to be half full about? We'll have a smaller player budget and have next to no chance of promotion next season (and the coming seasons) in a much harder league. Then there's the ownership of the Club by Rankine....

We're officially the wee team of Fife, some way behind. Reason to be cheerful?

Apathy had set in a while back after what has been another disappointing league campaign in what was a very weak league and to see our rivals piss all over us (again!).

We need a fresh start, and we have that with a new management team and with only Div Muir signed up there will be plenty new faces at Bayview next season. I've never heard any personal abuse of players but Bayview is terrible for positive atmosphere and cringeworthy with some of the slagging players get.

I have faith in Durie and Chisholm so hopefully he can build a decent squad and atleast the good thing is, we wont have any Fife derbies to lose.

I think it's pretty normal at all clubs for the away support to be more "supporting" if you like than away. This can probably be attributed to multiple factors. Only really the absolute hardcore making long journeys in winter, fans have often had a few drinks inside them as well.

I don't know how our home fans compare, having only seen East Fife as a home fan, but my Dunfermline and Raith supporting mates tell me they are terrible at home too. Personally, I never give players abuse or boo during the 90 mins as I believe it's counter-productive, but if I think we've been short-changed I will make my feelings known at full-time. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and if Bobby Linn thinks he's going to find some abuse free utopia at Arbroath or Alloa then I think personally, he's going to be disappointed.

As for the players complaining about things being said on here, there's one very easy solution to the problem.

Don't read it.

Not every fan is going to think you're great and not every fan is going to think you're terrible. If you don't want to see the negative comments, probably best not to look at the comments at all.

the reason no atmosphere, too bloody cold from start to end of season. 18 games and i can honestly say i dont look forward to sitting watching any of them. Rip half the seats out and get the fans standing then the atmosphere may improve.

well, lets get behind the team next season, better atmosphere, more singing etc!

well, lets get behind the boys next season, better atmosphere, more singing etc!

St Pauli Fifer
has the little-big-man syndrome

How do you mean, SPF?

As a general point I think the players reacting to negativity or perceived negativity from fans is counter productive.

Our club embarrassed its self when the players went public to greet about abuse on the internet. I think the ex captain was the main driver for this.

On AFTN there are probably a 2 or 3 folk who go over the top about some players at times. Its not certain all of them are even east fife fans given the open access on here.

The rest is generally folk giving their honest post match opinions of players in the same way they would down the pub and to my knowledge this rarely crosses the lines of taste decency or legality. If folk are bothered by that level of discussion I would suggest a week in Neil Lennons shoes or have a look at some premier league and div 1 clubs forums and see the type of stuff thats said about players there.

As far as home support goes aye there are a few moaners with big mouths but they are the minority.

I think players need to remember they are in an entertainment industry and there fore are open to comment on their performance. It doesnt mean those voicing the criticism are right but if the online stuff affects you dont read it. I think everyone would recognise Michael Brown as a great example ( after reacting initially) of doing your talking on the pitch. Now widely recognised among the support as a key player for us who is respected by everyone associated with East Fife.
Heres to next season!!

Absolutely spot on mate.

Perspex Eve
As a general point I think the players reacting to negativity or perceived negativity from fans is counter productive.

Our club embarrassed its self when the players went public to greet about abuse on the internet. I think the ex captain was the main driver for this.

On AFTN there are probably a 2 or 3 folk who go over the top about some players at times. Its not certain all of them are even east fife fans given the open access on here.

The rest is generally folk giving their honest post match opinions of players in the same way they would down the pub and to my knowledge this rarely crosses the lines of taste decency or legality. If folk are bothered by that level of discussion I would suggest a week in Neil Lennons shoes or have a look at some premier league and div 1 clubs forums and see the type of stuff thats said about players there.

As far as home support goes aye there are a few moaners with big mouths but they are the minority.

I think players need to remember they are in an entertainment industry and there fore are open to comment on their performance. It doesnt mean those voicing the criticism are right but if the online stuff affects you dont read it. I think everyone would recognise Michael Brown as a great example ( after reacting initially) of doing your talking on the pitch. Now widely recognised among the support as a key player for us who is respected by everyone associated with East Fife.
Heres to next season!!

Totally agree. Reading through these long string of comments I can't remember who posted this but I agree with the person who mentioned that Bobby Linn criticized his home fans just as he is leaving the club and after we have paid his wages since 2008! One idiot yelled something to him at a home game and he lost it. Personally, I think he has every right to leave this season - albeit maybe because he has had a bad one - but if it is based on the attitude of the "home fans" then it sounds like nonsense. Surely you can take moaning from a few grouchy old men on the chin?

In relation to the post quoted though, I couldn't agree more with the post-match discussions idea. 9/10 players would probably agree with fans that they played utterly abysmal during certain ties but they turn up on the park the next week and we still pay at the gate to get behind the team. As much as Bayview is populated with old men who have too many rather "aggressive" opinions, I don't believe everyone pays their £13 - or season ticket for that matter - just to yell at the boys on the park

hissy gave everything for the club, you could see that everytime. no wonder he fucked off when he is getting abuse. remember airdrie away, who ever went ? we were without bobby and we got humped.

could any of you play at this level?

cowden fans got behind their players, encouraged them. why cant we do that?

if your no happy fuck off, get behind the team and whoever is playing for us

What abuse is hyslop getting?

All I'm reading is fans saying he wasn't up to scratch. And I guess that's one of the reasons he wasn't offered a new contract.

eftid
hissy gave everything for the club, you could see that everytime. no wonder he fucked off when he is getting abuse. remember airdrie away, who ever went ? we were without bobby and we got humped.

could any of you play at this level?

cowden fans got behind their players, encouraged them. why cant we do that?

if your no happy fuck off, get behind the team and whoever is playing for us

Maybe the Cowdenbeath fans got behind their team because they were playing good football and were at the top of the league??

MaRY_BaLE
What abuse is hyslop getting?

All I'm reading is fans saying he wasn't up to scratch. And I guess that's one of the reasons he wasn't offered a new contract.

I think that it is well documented that Hislop should have scored more goals; he accepts this himself. He had other things to offer but some couldnt see this. I think if you have a look at the interview on EFtv,it appears that Hislop was not going to sign whether or not he was offered a contract. You, of course, may know something the rest of us don't. (Small detail - try and get his name right!)

As I have said on other sites, the guy is now away so lets move on for goodness sake.

i put in another thread that we probably dont have anymore moaning fans than any other team if thats what bobby thinks then thats up to him i think no less of him for saying it as hes been a great servant to the club i wish him all the best where ever it is hes going

Ballingry

That's Ayr and Arbroath confirmed (and QoS and Alloa) in our league next season. MUCH harder league next season already than the one we've just finished 6th in IMO. Nightmare. We blew it big style.

win or lose, im still a fifer until the day i die, get behind the boys instead of just giving them stick!

win or lose, im still a fifer until the day i die, get behind the boys instead of just giving them stick!

here here

supporting east fife is not a choice. its in your blood. keep the faith all you regulars...u never know whats gonna happen!

Hi Bruce not heard from you for awhile.

Half the trouble on here is over optimism.
Year after year we hear widely exagerated claims of how good we are when in reality year after year we fail to deliver.
Maybe if we calmed the beans and realised we`re pretty average at best expectations might be a touch more realistic.
Next season i predict we`ll be no better than this season with a mid table finish at best and still the worst team in Fife.
I`ll still go. Its what being a supporter is all about.

Opinion

Next season i predict we`ll be no better than this season with a mid table finish at best and still the worst team in Fife.

Whatever happens that last bit will be true but if I thought all we had to look forward to was another season the same as the one just finished (which was the same as the one before that and the one before that) then I don't think I'd bother going.

Opinion
Half the trouble on here is over optimism.
Year after year we hear widely exagerated claims of how good we are when in reality year after year we fail to deliver.
Maybe if we calmed the beans and realised we`re pretty average at best expectations might be a touch more realistic.
I`ll still go. Its what being a supporter is all about.

Any idea how a smaller rival club can do SO much better than East Fife? Why are they better than average opposed to us? They didn't need to buy the 3rd div title and then the second div. Why is it we'll be no better than average? (you're right by the way). I genuinely don't get it....??

For the record, I think we'll finish 5-7th next season and I have no expectations, but as for the season just finished, top 4 wasn't an over optimistic expectation (just as winning the league wasn't for Cowden, nor for Dumbarton going for promotion)

I think Cowden woke up and smelled the coffee before we did.
They've appointed had a string of good young managers who had played the game at a much higher level.
They are probably at least 5 years ahead of us in their investment in the youth development system
They have had regular income from other sources (stock cars and thursday market) that probably means they are less reliant on paying customers than us and can therefore maybe pay some players higher wages

While all that was going on we had Broon and our mysterious real owner, had some pretty uninspiring managers, failed to consolidate on promotion by strengthening and splashed the cash for short term fixes under WG.(Not complaining bout that tho)

Tho some questions remain I think we may look back in the Craws appointment as the turning point for us in looking to go down a different route at the club. Im more confident that with contracted youth team , and the two Gordons in place we are going in right direction, albeit 10 years after we should have.

Very true Paul, after 20 odd yrs I felt the same and sorry to say I stopped watching the fife

Attendances in general remain poor. We had a smaller average than Stenhousemuir, never mind Dumbarton or Arbroath last season. Poor on field performances can explain some of this, but we must try to get some enthusiasm among the local population for coming to Bayview. Where are the thousands that used to go in the early 70's ?

Some sobering stats - population of Dingwall about 5500. Ross County are now in the SPL. Seems that half the town must be regular attendees.
Population of Levenmouth - about 37000....

Mad Man
Attendances in general remain poor. We had a smaller average than Stenhousemuir, never mind Dumbarton or Arbroath last season. Poor on field performances can explain some of this, but we must try to get some enthusiasm among the local population for coming to Bayview. Where are the thousands that used to go in the early 70's ?

Some sobering stats - population of Dingwall about 5500. Ross County are now in the SPL. Seems that half the town must be regular attendees.
Population of Levenmouth - about 37000....

Unfortunately you are so right Mad Man.
Like so many of our AGING support,I was 1 of the thousands who used to stream along Wellesley Road.
The worrying aspect for the future of East Fife is the lack of numbers of those who live in Leven Methil and Buckhaven who actually attend Bayview Stadium.
I would estimate that of the hardcore 500 odd regular supporters,at least 50% live outwith the area.
I know from personal experience that it is VERY difficult to entice the offspring of the "out of townies" to attend a match in an area that they were not brought up in.
So where are the NEW fans to come from?
It seems to me that the club MUST somehow entice the parents and children of those who attend local schools.In fairness to the club and coaches,the structure IS in place with the success of the under-age teams. If only 50% of these players could entice their parents to come along to watch the big team.Perhaps through time and the success of the under age teams bringing through LOCAL players will cause locals to attend.
The Ramsden and League Cups are ideal competitions to offer reduced rates for Parent And Child attendees.
Also it is imperative that the team get off to a winning start of season to keep interest levels high.
I also find it sad that most of the clubs main sponsors are Companies who trade outwith the local area.
So East Fife directors , how about having a social evening and invite local companies along.Tell them about player, match sponsorship,corporate hospitality etc.
If it fails at least you have tried.
The future of the club MUST be local. Otherwise the outlook,to me at least,looks bleak.

Good post dude, although i don't think this particular board care that much.